Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Apparently Asleep by Equinox Chick

Printer
Summary: Nymphadora Tonks lives under a shadow. Both her cousin and her aunt are in Azkaban believed to be in league with Voldemort. She knows Bellatrix deserves to be there- but Sirius?
Remus Lupin is an outsider. He’d once had three good friends- now two are dead and the third has been locked up for murder and betrayal.
They had met once before, when she was a child, but as Tonks grows up they find themselves thrown together- far too closely for Remus’ comfort. He’s always yearned for a normal life but knows that is impossible. Can Tonks convince him that he deserves happiness?

Nominated for a 2009 QSQ award in the Best canon Romance category. Thank you.
Ratings: 3rd-5th Years [ - ]
Category: Remus/Tonks
Characters: None
Warnings: Mild Profanity, Sexual Situations, Strong Profanity
Challenge:
Serie: None
Chapters: 21 Completed?: No
Wordcount: 121429 Viewcount: 112654
Published on: 10/20/08 Updated On: 03/18/11



Story Notes: Disclaimer: I am not JK Rowling and I never will be. I'm just having some fun in her world.

The warning is for later chapters.

Many Thanks to Terri (mudbloodproud) for beta'ing this fic. Also to Cassie, Alyssa, Azhure and Afifa who have also beta'd parts of it.

There is a prissy glitch on the site which won't let stories above 3rd-5th to be read. Therefore I have lowered the rating for this story. It is still a 6th-7th (although that's playing very safe)


1. Chapter 1- Cool! by Equinox Chick [ - ] (5468 words)
In November 1979, Sirius Black receives a letter from the cousin he hasn’t seen for years. She needs him to look after her daughter, a girl he last saw three years before. Sirius isn’t used to kids but Meda needs him and he doesn’t want to let her down.
2. Chapter 2- More of a Miss than a Kiss by Equinox Chick [ - ] (6273 words)
It is eleven years since she first met her cousin, Sirius Black, and Tonks is starting her seventh year at Hogwarts. A bright and popular student she feels she still lives under the cloud of the Black Family.
She knows Sirius would not have turned traitor but convincing everyone around her is a hard task.
She needs the help of the one remaining Marauder- if only she can find him.

3. Memories and Revelations by Equinox Chick [ - ] (5605 words)
Desperate for the truth about her cousin, Sirius Black, Tonks has tracked down the last Marauder. He will tell her the truth even if she has to use nefarious means. She knows he holds the key to Sirius’ fate but what she hasn’t counted on is Remus Lupin’s compelling honesty.
Thanks as ever to the wonderful Terri (mudbloodproud)

4. Chapter 4 - Grudge Match by Equinox Chick [ - ] (6012 words)
January 6th – Gryffindor V Hufflepuff – it should be a walkover. Unfortunately, no one had counted on a careless comment to an unscrupulous journalist, an act of mischief and a sudden thirst for revenge from the normally docile Hufflepuffs.

All in all, not the best match to show off your Seeking skills for the scout from Puddlemere United.

5. Chapter 5- Opportunities by Equinox Chick [ - ] (5639 words)
After being knocked unconscious by a Bludger, Tonks wakes up in the hospital wing to find Remus and Professor Dumbledore by her bedside. Why was Remus Lupin at that match and how much has he told her Headmaster about their meeting?

Thanks, as ever, to Terri (mudbloodproud) for beta'ing this for me.

6. Chapter 6 - Old Mad-Eye by Equinox Chick [ - ] (4953 words)
A letter from Charlie, now happily living in Romania, unsettles Tonks. It's not that she doesn't enjoy Auror Training, it's just that she can't get to grips with Stealth and Tracking. Will this be her downfall or can the experience of a battle-scarred Auror help her?

Thank-you very much to Terri (mudbloodproud) and Cassie (ms.leading) for being brilliant betas.

There was a lot of Amy Winehouse going on in the background when I wrote this. I hope Tonks doesn't end up in Rehab.

Just so you know; I'm not JK Rowling but I am obsessed with her characters.

7. Chapter 7 - Damsel in Distress by Equinox Chick [ - ] (6389 words)
Visiting Charlie in Romania, Tonks foolishly decides to rescue a baby dragon. Facing its angry mother, she becomes trapped in the enclosure. What she needs is a modern-day St George to rescue her...

Thank you to Terri (mudbloodproud) and cassie (ms leading) for being amazing betas.

This chapter was written under the influence of flu and Amy Winehouse - again.

Incase you're confused - I'm not JK Rowling but I do love her world.

8. Chapter 8 "Expecto Patronum!" by Equinox Chick [ - ] (6249 words)
Remus Lupin knows he should stay away from Nymphadora Tonks. She's thirteen years younger, with a bright future stretching out before her; whereas he is a werewolf, living hand to mouth.

But Tonks has other ideas; she needs his help and for some reason, he finds it hard to say no.

Thank you to Cassie(ms leading) for beta'ing this chapter and Terri (mudbloodproud) for being generally wonderful.

Special thanks again for the music of Amy Winehouse which is keeping me going.

I'm not JK Rowling.

9. Chapter 9 - The Raid by Equinox Chick [ - ] (5537 words)
Although busy with Auror Training, Tonks still finds herself brooding over her encounter with Remus in Romania.Perhaps what she needs is a distraction. Could Daily Prophet journalist, Rob Avery, be that distraction?

Thank you so much to Cassie (ms leading) for beta'ing this chapter and giving me a swift kick when I needed it. Thanks also to Terri for giving me some advice.

Special mention to Lexxyy and Livi for coming up with names for the pub and the drink.

10. Chapter 10 - The Seeker by Equinox Chick [ - ] (6300 words)
After the unsuccessful raid on Malfoy Manor, Tonks is looking forward to her date with Rob at the Holyhead Harpies sellout match with the Appleby Arrows.

She knew the match would be a thriller, but wasn't expecting the Harpies new Seeker to make quite such an impression.

The Sexual Situations warning kicks in now!

Thank you so much to Azhure for beta'ing this chapter.

11. Chapter 11 -Old Stories and New Friends by Equinox Chick [ - ] (6364 words)
After her awful experience with Rob, Tonks wonders how she'll be able to cope working alongside him. Luckily, an invitation to dinner provides a distraction. And there's a new face in the Auror department.

Thank you to Alyssa (Harry4lif) and Afifa for beta'ing this chapter for me.

12. Chapter 12 Tea at the Tonks' House by Equinox Chick [ - ] (5960 words)
Sirius has escaped. Remus is back. Tonks is ecstatic. But has her belief in her cousin blinded her to the facts?

Many thanks to Afifa who I have press-ganged into the cause of my good ship beta!

***

13. Chapter 13 - Old Marauders Never Die by Equinox Chick [ - ] (6060 words)
Thank you Alyssa for beta'ing this for me.

***

14. Chapter 14 - Disillusioned by Equinox Chick [ - ] (6118 words)
Thank you Alyssa (harry4lif) for beta'ing this for me.

~~~

15. Chapter 15 - Truth Will Out by Equinox Chick [ - ] (5791 words)
Thank you, as ever, to Alyssa (Harry4lif) for beta'ing this chapter.

** indicates a line taken from Harru Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, chapter seventeen, Cat, Rat and Dog.


16. Chapter 16 - Old Dogs and New Tricks by Equinox Chick [ - ] (6629 words)
Thank you very much to Ari (Royari) and Kara (Karaley Dargen) for beta'ing this chapter for me. Thanks to Terri for an AIM chat that inspired the APE room and Russia for naming the pub. Warning: Sirius' language is the reason for the Strong Profanity warning. Finally, I'm sorry this chapter has been so long in the writing.


17. Chapter 17 - Interrogation by Equinox Chick [ - ] (5070 words)
Thank you Kara (Karaley Dargen) for beta'ing this chapter for me.


18. Chapter 18 - Double Bluff by Equinox Chick [ - ] (4118 words)
Thank you very much to Ari (Royari) for beta'ing this chapter.


19. Chapter 19 - Old Flames by Equinox Chick [ - ] (5392 words)
Thank you so much to Ari (Royari) and Kara (Karaley Dargen) for their fantabulous beta work.

~~~

20. Chapter 20 - It's not only Bludgers that cause pain. by Equinox Chick [ - ] (5958 words)
Sorry, sorry, sorry, for the appalling delay!


21. Chapter 21 - Work, Rest and Play by Equinox Chick [ - ] (5544 words)
Thank you so much to Kara (Karaley Dargen) and Ari (Royari, who really went the extra mile with this chapter because it was a pig to write.