Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Too Good To Be Fake by way 2 HP obsesed

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter, JK Rowling does. (Though I wish I did)
* * *

"So, I was thinking we could all tackle the garden today," Mrs. Weasley announced when Harry and Ron trooped back down to the kitchen, where a tired looking Ginny was seated once more.

"I think if we all put in a good hard effort," Mrs. Weasley shot a glare at Ron, who was staring down at his shoe with a defiant look on his face, "we will be able to finish weeding by supper."

She had been working the three of them harder than ever the past few days, in an effort to put their minds on something other than their sorrow. The house had never looked so clean.

"Harry, dear, why do you have your things packed?" she said suddenly, noticing Harry's rucksack in his hand. "You aren't going anywhere, are you?"

"Er…well, I just thought…I've been a bit of a burden…and I really should…," Harry stammered; now determinately examining his shoe. He knew this was going to be a difficult battle, and Ron's suspicious stares weren't helping things. Ginny was determinately not looking at him, dreading what she knew he was about to say.

"Don't be thick, mate!" said Ron, "You know you're not a burden, and we need you here more than ever…" he glanced at Ginny meaningfully. –Harry, you can't leave, not after everything we've been going through the past few weeks. We all need to stick together," Ron looked unblinkingly at Harry. Mrs. Weasley and Ginny just stared at the two boys.

Harry stared back slightly surprised. In all his years of knowing him, Ron had never stood up to him so determinedly.

"I'm not trying to be thick, and I'm not trying to let you down," said Harry evenly. "It's just…I want to spend a little time on my own…think about things…," he swallowed and glanced nervously at Ginny. "I was thinking about living at Grimmauld Place, you know, now that it's mine and I don't have to go back to the Dursley's."

"Harry, are you sure?" Mrs. Weasley asked after a moment's silence. "We won't stop you leaving," Ginny looked like she didn't agree, "But you don't have to go through this pain alone." She crossed the kitchen and put her hand on Harry's shoulder, "We're here for you, you know," she said motherly.

Harry was touched by her comment, but he had to stand his ground. "I know, but I think I'd like to go to Grimmauld Place, if only for a few days. I'll come visit, I promise."

He smiled and hugged Mrs. Weasley, then somewhat awkwardly embraced Ron with one arm. Ginny stood up to say goodbye, and Harry gave her a quick hug that he wished would have lasted forever. He gave her a slight smile, noticing that her eyes were glazed with tears again. She did not smile in return, but turned away at once and climbed the stairs to her room rather quickly.

Harry stared after her and then he too turned and walked out into the front yard of the Burrow. He closed his eyes and turned on the spot, disapparating to his new home.


The next few days were quiet for Harry. He had unpacked upon arriving at Grimmauld Place and had been enjoying the delicious cooking of Kreacher, the house elf. Harry spent most of his time wandering the streets of nearby villages, every now and then coming across a witch or wizard who would cry out his name and rush over to thank him or ask for his autograph. Harry found these incidents incredibly embarrassing and increasingly irritating; didn't these people know he just wanted to be left alone? At least the Weasley's were letting him have his privacy; they hadn't tried to convince him to return since he left. Harry's mind wandered to the previous day, where he had stopped to visit Ron for a few hours.

Flashback

"Harry! We didn't expect to see you back so soon!" cried Mrs. Weasley, rushing to the door to hug Harry when he entered the steamy kitchen late in the afternoon.

"I'm not back for good," Harry said firmly, "I just wanted to visit Ron. Where is he?"

"Oh,” her face fell for a moment, but she recovered quickly, "He's with George at the shop."

"Oh, well, I guess I'll have to come back again to see him," said Harry, disappointed.

"Do stay for some early supper, will you?" Mrs. Weasley asked.

"Of course, I could never refuse your cooking," Harry grinned and sat down at the table while Mrs. Weasley busied herself with stew and bread.

"Oh, well, I guess I'll get going then," said Harry after two bowls of stew and three thick pieces of homemade bread, "Tell Ron I was here, won’t you?"

"Yes, yes dear, of course," Mrs. Weasley said. She walked Harry back to the door and waved after him as he walked back up the pathway.

Harry had only walked a few steps when he noticed Ginny sitting beneath an elm near the side of the house. He made to disapperate in an attempt to leave before she had a chance to see him, but she had already stood up and started towards him.

Oh no, I'm in for it now, thought Harry, thinking of her reaction after he told her he was leaving days pervious.

"Hi," Ginny said quietly the moment she reached him.

"Hi," said Harry.

"How've you been?" she asked.

"Fine, been pretty quiet, you know," he said.

"It's been quiet here too, without you," she spoke even softer, moving a bit closer.

"Oh, er…I really need to be getting back, though…" said Harry, trying to think of an excuse to leave the uncomfortable situation.

"I've really missed you, Harry," she whispered, and then her face was on his, and he wasn't pulling away. He kissed her back and breathed in the sweet smell of the hair he had missed so much over the past year. She kissed him deeper, and he never wanted to let her go…

"Oi! What are you doing!" said a voice from behind him. Harry and Ginny jumped apart to find Ron, George, and Percy all goggling at them. Ginny went pink and Harry went scarlet.

"Oh, er…hi, ah, Ron. Nice to see you, and you, George and Percy," Harry said very quickly. Neither George nor Percy said anything.

"Well, then, I think Harry needs to get back to Grimmauld Place, don't you, Harry?" Ginny said loudly, nudging Harry in the side with the hand that had seconds before been intertwined in his hair.

"Yah, I'll just be going now, so…see ya," Harry said awkwardly, and waved to Ginny before diapparating, though not before he heard Ron begin shouting.

End of Flashback

The third day away from the burrow, Harry was walking down the street of a muggle town not far from Diagon Alley when a small shop caught his eye. It was a jewelry boutique with a plain show window displaying golden necklaces and jeweled rings. Harry walked toward the shop and entered through the plain wooden door. Inside was two small walls of jewelry and a counter behind which stood a middle aged woman draped in a crocheted shawl. She smiled at Harry and continued typing something on her computer. Harry smiled back at began to browse the shelves. The jewelry came in all types, shapes, and sizes. Harry was about to leave when his eyes fell on a delicate necklace in the far corner. He crossed the shop and picked it up to examine it.

It was a simple chain, with little golden hearts linked together. A green emerald was set into a beautiful golden heart-shaped pendent. On the back of the heart, in tiny looping writing were the words, "Together and Apart."

Harry read the inscription and knew who this was meant for. He brought the necklace up to the counter, paid for it in muggle currency, and had it wrapped in a silk box. He left the shop feeling hopeful. He would find a moment to give his gift to Ginny someday soon, he was sure.
Chapter Endnotes: Thanks again to all my wonderful reviewers and fans! The next chapter will be up as soon as possible. PLEASE tell me what you think and check out my bio for more info on updates.