Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Too Good To Be Fake by way 2 HP obsesed

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Disclaimer: Harry Potter is the property of J.K. Rowling, not me
* * *


"So, when are we going to tell them?" Ginny asked Harry as they strolled down the lane running beside the Burrow a few mornings later. Harry, Ron, and Hermione had just come over to visit the Weasleys, and Harry and Ginny had left for a walk, Ron's suspicious glare heating their backs.

–Mmm?” asked Harry. He had been too busy thinking about how happy he was to catch what Ginny was saying.

–We can’t just go on sneaking around forever.” Ginny nudged Harry playful in the side. –They are bound to find out somehow, or walk in on us snogging or something.”

–So let them!” Harry smiled. –I’m not hiding anything from anyone, Ginny. Besides, I sort of figured they already knew by now what with all the crying, screaming, storming off, and then talking again.”

–You have a point there,” she agreed. "I bet if I just slip the news to George, he can handle the rest. He’s always had a big mouth anyway.”

They looped around the path and started heading back toward the Burrow.

–I wonder how long this calm is going to last,” Harry said, frowning slightly. –I haven’t had this much uninterrupted leisure time since… well I don’t think I’ve ever had this much free time. I keep waiting for something to go horribly wrong, but each day is as wonderful as the last.”

Ginny sighed and gripped his hand more tightly.

–I know what you mean. It’s hard believing that life can really be this easy. I’m starting to get bored.”

–Oh, so now you’re bored of me, are you?” Harry teased, –Well I guess you will just have to find someone else then!”

He dropped her hand and sped up down the path. Ginny giggled and caught up with him quickly, jumping onto his back and wrapping her legs tightly around his waist.

–Well, maybe you should entertain me then,” she breathed into his ear.

Harry grabbed her side and in one swift motion she was swung around in front of Harry, still hoisted up but staring into his eyes. He walked forward until her back was planted firmly against a nearby tree and leaned in slowly toward her mouth. Ginny closed her eyes and almost moaned as she felt his hair tickle her forehead in the breeze. She parted her lips slightly and drew in a quick breath, and then, without any warning Harry blew a wet raspberry against her lips and burst out laughing. Ginny’s eyes flew open in an instant and she pushed out of his arms, falling to her feet unsteadily.

–Who’s boring now?” Harry chuckled, pulling her back inside the house.

* * *

To Harry’s relief Ginny’s plan of telling George worked perfectly. By lunchtime everyone was informed of the young couple’s reunion and had notified them in one way or another. Some, like Bill and Mr. Weasley, were content enough to wink at Harry behind their newspapers and keep it at that. Others, like Fleur and Mrs. Weasley, had rushed at the pair with giant hugs and squeals of delight, just wanting everyone to be happy. As expected, Ron, George, and Percy merely grimaced, and Harry left the room quickly before they could start teasing him properly.

Best of all was Charlie’s reaction, who when news finally reached him, turned with surprise to Ginny and Harry and announced, –Blimey! I didn’t even know you two were together before!”

* * *

The rest of Harry's day was spent eating leftover cake and socializing with all the Weasleys, and for some very enjoyable hours he was with Ginny in the orchard, far away from Ron's nosing eyes. Only after the sky was black and the air was chilly did Harry kiss Ginny goodbye, Ron pointedly turned the other way, and leave for Grimmauld Place with Ron and Hermione. Upon arriving, Ron collapsed onto the couch and was asleep in minutes.

"Harry," Hermione said, grinning, once she had made two cups of tea for them both and sat with Ron's head on her lap on the couch, "I'm really glad about you and Ginny."

"Yeah, me too," Harry smiled. "I can't believe it's really happened." Ever since Ginny's birthday, Harry had been living like he was dreaming. Was it only a few months or so ago that he had been about to die at Lord Voldemort's feet? Now he was living without worries, with his two best friends. He had the girl of his dreams by his side, and he couldn't remember ever being happier.

"You know, Ginny used to always ask me how to get you to like her," Hermione said.

"Yeah," Harry grinned, "I know, she told me right after I broke up with her last summer, at-at Dumbledore's funeral. End of sixth year." Even though it had been over a year, the death of his headmaster still brought forth a lump in Harry's throat.

"Speaking of school, we should be getting our school lists any day now!" Hermione said, bringing Harry out of his reverie.

They had each received a notice a few weeks earlier that the repairs on Hogwarts were coming along nicely and that the school should be ready for students by the start of term. Hermione had been talking of very little since then, eager to make up for lost time.

"I just can't wait to be back at school! We've got so much to catch up on!" Hermione fretted.

"Not like you don't already know it all," Harry mumbled under his breath, but Hermione appeared not to hear him. Ah, Harry thought, it sure will be nice, going back home.

* * *

Sure enough, the next morning at breakfast, three tawny school owls arrived, each bearing three scrolls with the Hogwarts crest. Harry untied his and read the first letter.

Dear Mr. Potter,

Due to your absence last year, you are invited to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry for your seventh year. Many of your peers are also retaking their previous years due to the, shall we call it, "unusual" situation we had experienced. Enclosed is a list of required supplies and a letter from your Headmistress.

Harry unfolded the second letter and read:

Each 7th year student will require:
1. One copy of The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 7
2. One copy of Advanced Potion Making: Newly advised edition with notes by the Half Blood Prince
(Harry laughed aloud after reading this.)
3. After learning of the use this book has proven, an optional class will be taught on the book Hogwarts, A History

(Harry laughed again.)

Harry unfolded the third letter and found the note from his Headmistress.

Dear Mr. Potter,

Greetings, I hope this letter finds you well and relaxed. I am writing to ask if you would be interested in teaching an optional class this year, a class that you have already taught once. I am of course talking about Dumbledore's Army. You would be allowed to hand-pick participants and the class would run as it did in your fifth year, except of course, in a more standard-issue classroom. Please consider this as many students greatly benefited from your teaching. I will be seeing you soon, and until then,

Sincerely,

Professor McGonagall


Below this Harry found a post script:

P.S.

I have recently heard from one Molly Weasley, that you having sorting some things out with Miss Ginevra Weasley. I would like to say congratulations. If anyone deserves a little love and happiness in their life, it would be you. I am quite sure this year will be better than the last. I would like to remind you, however, that teacher or not, defeater of Voldemort or not, school rules still apply to you and Miss Weasley. Enjoy the rest of your holidays.

-MM


Harry grinned and blushed slightly at the final part of the letter. The thought of having his old club back, doing what he loved, was so inviting, though he had to admit that the idea of doing it legally made it slightly less exciting.

"Harry!" Hermione squealed behind him, holding a letter similar to his. "McGonagall has asked me to teach a Hogwarts, A History class!"

"What!" Harry said in surprise. He loved Hermione as a friend, but the thought of her as a real teacher was slightly terrifying. "Well, in that case...you can just let me and Ron skip class and play Quidditch!"

"You will NOT be skipping out on my classes!" Hermione said disapprovingly. "Not after all that book has helped us-"

She was interrupted by Ron's noisy footsteps on the stairs.

"Morning, honey," Hermione said sweetly. Harry gagged. He hoped Ginny and himself were not that mushy.

"Harry and I just got our letters from Hogwarts- here's yours." She handed him a brown scroll identical to Harry's and continued, "and that reminds me, when should we leave next Sunday? If we need to be at Platform 9 and ¾ by 11 am?"

"Can't we just Apparate to Hogwarts?" Ron asked sleepily.

"I'm not even going to bother asking you if you even own Hogwarts, A History. YOU CAN'T APPARATE ON HOGWARTS GROUNDS, RONALD!" She gave Harry an "I told you, you guys need to take my class" look and then turned back to the counter for a second helping of Kreacher’s cooking, bacon, eggs, and toast with jam.

"I guess I'd better go get ready," Harry said. He got to his feet and made to walk around the table.

"For what?" Ron said, as if the thought of having anything to do on a Saturday was too repulsive to even imagine.

"'Remember, I'm going to the Malfoys' today," Harry called as he climbed the stairs to his/Sirius's old room.

Bet you ten Galleons you won’t come back alive!" Ron called after him. Hermione just rolled her eyes.

Just as Harry had started to believe that his meeting with Malfoy in Diagon Alley had been all in his head, he had received an owl from Narcissa asking, just as Draco had said, if Harry wouldn’t join them for tea Saturday afternoon.

Finally deciding to dress in his nice Muggle clothes, a pair of black slacks and a green button-down shirt, Harry set off for the Malfoys'.

Having been there once before, Harry was able to Apparate just outside the gate of the imposing gray house. Harry stuck out his hand and the gate clicked open loudly at his touch. Harry pushed the bars open and walked up the pathway to Malfoy Manor. It was strange to be walking matter-of-factly up the stone driveway to this house. Harry never thought that in all his life he would ever go here on his own free will.

This is certainly better than being dragged here, Harry thought with a slight smile.

He reached the white marble steps and climbed up them to the expensive-looking cherry front door. Harry reached up to knock with the serpentine brass knocker, but the door swung opened before he could grab it.


"Hello, Potter," said the slightly drawling voice of Draco Malfoy. Harry noticed the almost pleasant smile on Malfoy's face and couldn't decide if it made him feel welcome or suspicious.

"Er- hi," Harry said awkwardly.

"Come in, please," Malfoy said. "My mother has tea ready." He beckoned Harry forward and Harry cautiously stepped over the threshold.

The inside of Malfoy Manor was much warmer and less haughtily regal than the outside. To Harry's left were two modern black couches and an armchair. Malfoy led Harry over to the couches and sat down on one.

"Go on, sit Potter. It won’t kill you."

Harry grinned and sat down on the opposite couch.

They stared at each other for a few seconds, and then Malfoy broke the silence.

"Look, Harry, I'm really glad you came," Malfoy began, but stopped at the goggling expression on Harry's face.

"Excuse me, but - er - did you just call me Harry?" Harry said, stunned. Never in seven years had Malfoy and he been on first name terms. They had always reserved much more rude and insulting names for each other.

"Yes," Malfoy smirked, "I believe I did. You don't have a problem with that, do you?"

"Uh-no. It's just - well - ," Harry stuttered, "Why on earth are you being so nice to me? I mean, we are supposed to be sworn enemies aren't we? It’s just… you of all people should hate me."

Malfoy laughed. "Maybe before, but, well - ," and he too looked a bit uncomfortable now, "my mother and I, we've, well - shall we say 'seen the error of our ways.' Life has been a lot better now that," he gulped, "Voldemort has been defeated. And I wanted to thank you Harry, for helping the Wizarding World, even though we didn't help you."

Harry nodded shortly. This scene was too weird to even begin responding to.

Malfoy continued, "And I also wanted to apologize for all the pain I've caused you over the years. I know I haven't exactly been pleasant, much less kind."

"Nor have I," Harry interjected. Malfoy was making Harry sound too sweet and perfect for his liking. Malfoy laughed again.

"Yes, we both could do with some kindness towards each other..."

Their chat wandered amazingly to Hogwarts, teachers, and other things Harry would never have dreamed of discussing with Malfoy. He found out that Malfoy was also going to be retaking his seventh year, and, to his surprise he found this news pleasant. Well, maybe not pleasant, but it wasn't really Hogwarts without Malfoy, evil or…changed.

Part way into their discussion on whether or not Quidditch would be allowed again this year, Narcissa entered the room. She too seemed genuinely happy that Harry was alive and well, and personally thanked him for ending the war. Harry knew that the only way Narcissa had been able to safely find and escort Draco to safety was by pretending Harry had been killed. Where she wanted to thank Harry for this, Harry felt much more in debt to her for lying so openly to Voldemort. Without Narcissa Malfoy, Voldemort would still surely be at large.

An hour later, they had finished Mrs. Malfoy's tea and biscuits.

"One last thing before you go, Harry," Malfoy said as Harry rose to leave.

"Yeah, Draco?"

"How are - ," Malfoy paused, "How are you and Ginny Weasley?"

"Um," usually Harry would have said something like, "It's none of your business, you filthy git!" but he didn't feel that way anymore.

"It's actually going well. We, uh, made up a few days ago."

"That's great, I'm glad for you," and Malfoy actually looked a bit glad. "And Hermione and Ron are together too?"

"Yeah, they are finally!" Harry grinned.

"Yes, well, it took them long enough. Well, I'll see you on the train then."

"You too. Thanks for the tea." Harry said, and the strangest thing all morning occurred. Draco Malfoy extended his hand, just as he had on that first day on the Hogwarts Express, and this time Harry took it.

The world, Harry thought, must have just turned upside down. And Harry liked the view better this way.
Chapter Endnotes: Sorry for the short break! I hope everyone is enjoying their November! I should have another chapter up by the end of the month! Read and Review!

-Mary