Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Too Good To Be Fake by way 2 HP obsesed

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Disclaimer: Harry Potter is the property of J.K. Rowling, not me
* * *


The week passed by quicker than ever. On Monday, Harry spent an enjoyable day with Ginny, chasing each other on brooms, eating Harry's cooking, consisting of grilled cheese sandwiches and the firewhiskey Ron hadn't managed to find, and wandering around Muggle London. Ginny was fascinated with all the Muggle appliances and gadgets. Harry tolerated a full hour of Ginny messing around with a display computer in a store before dragging her away. Hermione and Ron had supposedly gone to the Burrow to help Mrs. Weasley, but in Harry's later conversation with her, they had never turned up. Ron said they took a wrong turn and ended up in a lovely little village that they just couldn't leave, so they were forced to stay all day and enjoy themselves.

On Tuesday, Ginny and Harry, Ron and Hermione, Bill and Fleur, and George visited a Wizarding Amusement Park. Harry and Hermione had never been to one before and were astounded by the marvelous rides and food. There were cotton candy vendors who spun the sugar into animal shapes in astounding detail and magic powered coasters that required the rider to be cast under a sticking charm in order to stay on the ride. Harry particularly enjoyed the haunted house that came equipped with boggarts around every corner. This didn’t bother Harry too much since he could easily dispel the visions, but Ron left shaking and sweating profusely.

–Howlers,” Ron gasped, sitting hunched over on a bench outside the house, –all with my mum’s voice.”

On Wednesday, Hermione and Ron disappeared again, as did Harry and Ginny. When they returned and Mrs. Weasley questioned them, they only grinned and said they had managed to find the lovely little village themselves.

On Thursday, the gang went to Diagon Alley to shop for school supplies. They met Draco at the Leakey Cauldron for lunch. Harry had recounted his visit with Malfoy to Ginny, Hermione, and Ron when he had returned Saturday. Though Ron still seemed unconvinced of Malfoy's new light, Hermione and Ginny agreed with Harry that Malfoy was a changed man. He did indeed act very different than his old, sneering self. Malfoy was civil with everyone and even apologized to
Hermione for calling her a "mudblood" for all those years. Hermione blushed at that, and Ron looked slightly more satisfied.

Once they were all finished eating, they said goodbye to Draco and headed out onto the bustling Alley Street. They went into a few shops and purchased the necessary books and equipment for the coming school year. Since Harry and Hermione were teaching this year, they needed to get a few new things.

In Codwell's Teaching Supplies, Hermione got a little over excited by all the new books and charts. Ron, Harry, and Ginny decided to leave her at it for a while so they stepped back out to wait. Ron really needed some new keeper gloves, so they decided to split up and meet back at the Leaky Cauldron in half an hour.

Ron set off for Quality Quidditch Supplies, and Ginny and Harry were left with thirty whole minutes on their own.

"Where d'ya want to go?" Harry asked while taking Ginny's hand and leading her down the cobbled street.

"Oh, I don't mind," Ginny replied with a shrug, "Is there anything else that you need to get?"

Harry had opened his mouth to say that he didn't think he needed anything, when he stopped short in sight of a bright blue sign hanging outside of Eyelops Owl Emporium.

Ginny saw where he was staring and tightened her grip on his hand.

"Harry would you like a new—would you like an owl?"

Harry gulped and shifted his pained gaze to Ginny's face. "I don't know if I can."

"It's all right Harry," Ginny said soothingly. "It's okay to be sad. But know this, Hedwig died like Madeye, a hero in battle."

"It's just hard," Harry whispered. "This is going to be my first school year without her. It will be like Hogwarts without Hagrid, not receiving letters from her...everything is going to be different this year, isn't it?"

"Yes," said Ginny simply, "but we'll make it through. Just think of all the good things about this year. We'll see Neville again for one, and Seamus."

"But no Dumbledore."

"Do you really believe that, Harry? That Dumbledore is not still in the hearts and minds of all at Hogwarts?"

Harry just looked at Ginny for a while, a million thoughts and emotions running across his face.

Finally, when the pain was too much to hold in and bear alone, Harry gave himself up and the tears started coursing down his cheeks. Ginny wrapped her arms around him, and Harry wept into her shoulder for a good few minutes. Ginny rubbed his back until he stopped crying, and when he did, he pulled away but kept both of her hands in his.

"Sorry 'bout that," Harry said gruffly. "I didn't mean to break down like that. I have just been trying to avoid thinking about all the changes for this year. Dreading them, really. Hogwarts has always been my true home, and I'm afraid of what it will feel like when we go back this time, with visions of the battle that took place there. Nothing will be the same."

"Oh Harry, don't worry about any of that. I know Hogwarts has always been where you really belong, but it wasn't just because of Dumbledore. We are all going to be there, Ron, Hermione, and I—"

"Do you promise that, Ginny? That you will always be there?"

"Of course, Harry. Always have been, always will. You wouldn't be able to get rid of me, even if you tried with all of your...hero's power."

Harry grinned at that. "Hero's power...well, that does sound like me, doesn't it."

Harry brought Ginny close and hugged her to him.

"Thank you, for everything. I will never be able to put into words how much you mean to me."

They stayed in that position for a few more seconds, ignoring the curious passersby, until Harry noted that it was due time they go back to Ron and Hermione.

They turned together and headed back without another glance toward the owl shop, where eight years before Hagrid had bought Harry his first ever birthday present, and faithful pet, Hedwig.

The next day was Friday, and Harry, Ron, and Hermione all went over to the Burrow for tea. It was rainy so they all gathered in the sitting room and listened to Mrs. Weasley's wireless while they drank their tea.

"Are you all packed and ready for school?" Mrs. Weasley questioned. "I've washed all of Ginny's robes and Harry, Ron, have you both got new underwear?"

"Muuumm!" Ron groaned, "Please, not in front of everyone!" Harry examined the last dregs of tea in his cup, blushing.

Hermione and Ginny were both giggling madly, hands pressed to their mouths.

Andromeda showed up with baby Teddy at around four, and Harry spent a good hour holding and playing with his godson.

"You are so good with him," Andromeda gushed while Harry tickled and Teddy squirmed. "It is such a blessing that Teddy has you to help him grow up."

Harry smiled, but then his brow furrowed as he thought of something.

"What are you going to do about Teddy while I am at school this year?" Harry loved seeing his godson, and knew that it was important that he be there for him, but he didn't see how he was going to whilst at Hogwarts.

"Oh, not to worry, Harry dear," soothed Andromeda, "I'm not that old, I'll manage just fine. And besides," she turned towards Mrs. Weasley, "I daresay Molly will want to help out."

"Of course, Andromeda. Harry, don't you worry about a thing. We'll take care of little Teddy."

Harry, however, was not entirely convinced. "I just really want the best for him. I know what it's like growing up without parents, and I know that if I could have been with Sirius sooner, things would have gone better. I want to be there for Teddy from the start."

"Oh Harry, things will be fine." Andromeda said. "Teddy is only a few months old. There will be plenty of time for you be there for him."

"But if you are really concerned about it, you can always come by anytime you want to see him." Andromeda reminded him. "And I will definitely bring him around for Christmas and Easter."

Harry, Ron, and Hermione went back to Grimmauld Place shortly after that, and Harry went to bed feeling much more confident that he would be a good godfather.

Harry vowed that he would do anything, risk anything for Teddy, just as Sirius had for himself.

Saturday was, as Ron called it, "Our last day of freedom!" Or, as Hermione called it, "Only one more day until we get to return to school!" Harry himself had mixed feelings about returning to Hogwarts. On the one hand, he was looking forward to seeing his old friends and re-instating the D.A. On the other hand, there was still the fear in the back of his head that this year would be so much different than the previous ones.

And of course, school was school... Yes, Harry thought, he would much rather spend his time with Ginny than listen to a boring lecture. Though Harry had to admit, it would be nice to spend time with Ginny at Hogwarts, away from the prying eyes of Mr. and Mrs. Weasley.

At last Sunday arrived. The trio left Grimmauld Place, lugging trunks, Pigwidgen's cage, Cruikshank's basket, brooms, cauldrons, and wands. Harry had hesitated before smiling and adding the Marauders Map and Invisibility Cloak to his trunk. Even if he wasn't planning on doing anything too dangerous this year, old habits die hard.

It felt odd to leave Grimmauld Place after staying there for so long. Harry kept thinking of Sirius and the great black dog he transformed into to walk him to the station exactly three years ago.

A half hour later, Harry, Ron, and Hermione entered Kings Cross Station.

"What's wrong?" Hermione asked, seeing that Harry had stopped abruptly in the doorway, staring glassy-eyed around at the Muggles hurrying from platform to platform.

"Huh," Harry said absently, and then concentrated on Ron and Hermione's concerned faces, "Oh, I was just thinking... last time I was here, I was with Dumbledore." Harry paused for a second, before continuing in a voice so low that the others had to strain to hear above the noise in the station, "Last time I was here, I had just died."

If Ron and Hermione had looked concerned before, it was nothing as to how they gaped at him now.

Hermione opened her mouth to speak, but Ron beat her to it.

"Mate, you're alive."

"I realize that, oddly enough." Harry responded almost angrily.

"Harry," Hermione moved closer to him and put her hang on his shoulder. "Does this have anything to do with what happened in the woods with... V-Voldemort?"

Harry looked down at Hermione and shrugged slightly. "Never mind. Forget it; I don't want to talk about it."

"Look Harry, we’re your best mates. You can't keep shutting us out forever." Ron said fiercely. "I know you don't want to relive whatever happened that night, but we can't help you get over this if you don't clue us in!"

Harry appeared stunned at Ron's outburst, but shook it off.

"I'm sorry." Harry mumbled. "I know I haven't been completely honest with you both, and I realize it must be torture being shut out, but you have to understand that what happened that night is a complete mystery, and a secret. Only I really know what happened, and I'm not even convinced that it was real. I promise I will tell you sometime, but you're right Ron, I'm not ready to relive that yet."

The three stood in silence for a few moments, each lost in thoughts of that night, but the arrival of Ginny brought them out of their reveries.

"Hey, sorry I'm late. Mum broke down crying when she realized this was my last year at Hogwarts. You know how she gets, wouldn't let me go until she had hugged me twenty times."

Harry shook his head and tried to look as if nothing out of the ordinary had just occurred. "Why isn't she seeing you off?"

"Oh, well, she would have, but Lee called in sick and George really needed another hand in the shop. I'm not sure WHAT help Mum thinks she's gonna be, but ah, well.”

–I thought Percy was supposed to be helping George at the shop,” Harry questioned.

–Ha! Yeah, that only lasted a few days before he annoyed George so thoroughly that George threw him out. He’s been trying to find a new job ever since.” Ginny shrugged. –I'm just glad I didn't miss the train."

At that last word all four seemed to realize that they were still just standing around by the entrance way.

"Oh my god!" Hermione squealed, and they all took off down the platform at once.

Luckily the station was packed with Muggles, so no one noticed the four teenagers disappear through the solid barrier that led to platform nine and three quarters.

"What time is it?" Ginny shouted above the hundreds of voices floating around in the steam from the massive Hogwarts Express.

"Three 'till eleven!" Harry shouted back, following the long mane of red hair that was whipping through the masses of people moving away from the train.

All of a sudden the space in front of Harry was absent of bodies and he smacked into the train.

"Oof," came the muffled sound of Hermione as she slammed into Harry's back.

Ron had managed to avoid the train, but had fallen over at their sudden stop.

Ginny, the only one in a somewhat respectable position, burst into laughter at the sight before her. She bent double and had to clutch at the door to keep from falling over herself.

"Shut it." Ron growled at her. He pulled himself off the ground and pushed past Ginny, onto the train.

Hermione apologized to Harry, picked up Cruickshank's fallen basket and followed Ron, blushing as she passed Ginny, who was still grinning madly.

"Well, that was…very entertaining, I must say," Ginny said, clapping as Harry righted himself. "The boy who lived, the chosen one, can't even watch where he is going."

Harry grinned and took off his glasses which had snapped when he hit the train.

"Hmm. These seem to be the problem."

"Here," Ginny took the glasses from Harry and pulled out her wand. "Reparo!"

"Taking over for Hermione, are you?" Harry teased.

"Well, if I'm going to be your girlfriend, I need to learn how to take care of you, don't I?"

"Look, I hate to break up this very touching moment, but THE TRAIN NEEDS TO LEAVE!"

Harry and Ginny looked up and saw Ron's red face protruding from the window above them.

"Come on," Harry said, grabbing Ginny's hand, and leading her onto the train.

They joined Ron and Hermione in their compartment and took seats just as the train started moving. They sat next to each other, across from Ron and Hermione. Harry watched as first the platform and then Kings Cross vanished from sight.

"I wish we could just stay here," Harry mumbled, several minutes later. He was lying down on the seat, with his head resting on Ginny's lap. Ginny was running her fingers through his unruly hair. The position reminded Harry of Malfoy and Pansy Parkinson two years ago. This realization made him smile and he reached up to twirl a strand of silky red hair around his first finger.

Ginny grinned and bent to kiss Harry, her sweet flowery scent soothing him, "Me too." She said, and then directed her attention to Ron who looked ready to punch them.

"Have you heard from George since Tuesday? I was wondering how he's been."

"Nope," Ron said softly. Hermione was curled up in his lap with her head on his shoulder, apparently napping… "I've been worried about him too. He just hasn't been quite the same since...since...well, you know."

"None of us have," Ginny replied sadly. "But George the most. I think he's trying to act as if it's not bothering him, but it is so much harder for him, I mean, Fred was his other half."

Silence filled the compartment as each of its occupants were thrust into memories of the battle. Memories that no one wanted to examine, but ones that they couldn't forget.

The train sped off into the prevailing night.
Chapter Endnotes: Well, that was a nice long chapter for everyone! I am almost done with the re-write now! Which means new chapters on the horizon! OOOO exciting stuff! I will soon be switching over to a few more perspectives, so it won’t be all Harry and Ginny. Hopefully you guys like that sort of thing!
-Mary