Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Reflection by Nitwit Blubber Oddment Tweak x

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I'll be the first one to admit that this chapter isn't the best! It's completely un-Betaed, it's short and there's a complete and utter over-use of semi colons. But oh well - I tried :)
Anyway, Draco grows closer to Hermione; a little too literally!
The silence seemed to billow around the compartment; it was so intense it was as if it had caught Draco by throat and was attempting to suffocate him. The erratic, shallow breathing was the only prominent sound as it was issued at a ridiculous rate from both him and Hermione. Their close proximity was causing Draco's skin to tingle and he could feel a pinkish hue gracing his usually pale cheeks. Neither of them spoke, neither of them moved; neither of them looked anyway ready to say or do anything at all. They simply acted as if they were in a bizarre staring contest; the gaze being held between them was relentless and unbroken. It was a sacred but inevitably dangerous moment in which neither Draco nor Hermione were prepared to end.

Of course, such a tender and significant moment had to end in the most undignified method possible. The train hurtled to an abrupt and resounding halt, causing both Draco and Hermione to crash to the floor in a rather inappropriate manner. Their previous intimacy was nothing compared to this; in shock, Draco found himself lying on top of a rather flustered, squished Hermione. They shared a moment of blatant surprise, then he swiftly scrambled off her. She sat up slowly and gingerly patted her head, wincing as she felt several bruises beginning to form.

"Okay, ow."

They glanced at each other, then succumbed to awkward giggles. Draco heaved himself up and extended his hand towards her. Hermione glanced at it warily and hesitated, but accepted it graciously and allowed herself to be pulled back up to the safety and dignity of her own two feet. Uneasily, they stared at each other for another few seconds as they brushed the dust off their clothes and flattened their hair. Draco made a point of straightening his Head Boy badge. Hermione, ever the cleverest witch Hogwarts had seen, cottoned on in record time.

"We'd better get the students to the carriages." She decided, trying to instil calmness and normality to the situation.

Draco nodded in agreement. "A wise choice. Now, after you." He slid open the door and gestured for Hermione to go before him.

She stopped in her steps. Draco looked at her inquiringly.

"Yes? Is there something wrong?"

Hermione shifted uncomfortably.

"Not exactly, but..." She trailed off rather pathetically and glanced at him.

He grinned sheepishly.

WToo much too soon?"

She sighed in relief.

"Yeah. Kind of."

"In that case, I'll go first. Respect your betters and all that lark."

He strode casually out the door, but turned back to wink cheekily at her to let her know he was joking. Well, half joking.

* * *

They succeeded in instructing the students to the carriages without much difficulty, albeit mutterings and suspicious eyeing up-and-downs. Draco and Hermione were well known faces by now and their histories were also. Everyone knew the trials those two had went through in the last eight years; their strong disdain for each other was never attempted to be kept a secret. Surprise was the general feeling that was shared between the students who witnessed them doing their herding as Head Boy and Head Girl; not only that both of them had been appointed such positions, but the affable way in which they carried it out. Draco noticed one or two formidable glares from his fellow Slytherin pupils; he suspected they were not in the least bit happy about Hermione and his conduct. He, however, was quite proud of it; though to be truthful he did not fully understand why he was behaving so and why she responded so well. Draco knew he had never given Hermione any reason to behave in such a amiable manner and it puzzled him. Although he hated to admit it to himself, he supposed it was simply because she was a far better person then he would ever be.

They were now sitting in a carriage on the way to Hogwarts. Neither were entirely comfortable to converse easily so settled to sit in a somewhat companionable silence. However, Draco was simmering in confusion and a pinch of revulsion. He did so desperately want to change; he wanted to make his own identity but Draco couldn't entirely rid himself of his past. His previous prejudices had been so violent and passionate that he simply couldn't just erase them no matter how much he wanted to. Possibly the most perplexing of his feelings were those concerning the bushy haired girl sitting opposite him. In prior years Draco wouldn't even have sat in the same carriage as her but now he felt this inexplicable urge for closeness. Yet he was ashamed to feel it. He was betraying everything he was ever taught by everyone who ever mattered to him. Guilt washed over him in a series of tidal waves as he resisted the urge to just run. Run away from here, from her, from everything. Running was just so easy to do. But he was tired of running. He was quickly running out of places to run to.

Draco found himself standing and staring at Hogwarts in awe as the students began to file behind him. He couldn't believe he was back. Somehow he had always figured his life had been set in stone and there was no changing it. He had believed he had a path that he had to follow with absolutely no meandering from it whatsoever. But now, here he stood, repeating his seventh year at Hogwarts School Of Witchcraft and Wizardry. He was free to do whatever he wanted in life without anyone telling him what to do and the feeling of liberation was exhilarating. It was something he felt he could get accustomed to. Draco took a deep breath and glanced at Hermione. She nodded at him swiftly and they both swung open the heavy, solid doors to Hogwarts. Draco closed his eyes and exhaled in blissful elation. He was home at last.
Chapter Endnotes: I apologise if it's not up to my usual standards; it was one of those silly chapters that just had to be there before I could move on. Anyway, reviews are always appreciated! Loved it or hate it ; tell me :)