Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Happy Christmas, Kingsley by Sly Severus

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“It’s the same,” Elysia exclaimed, sitting down on the sofa. “I expected you would have a different place by now, but this is the same loft with the same furniture!”

Kingsley shrugged. “I’m not much of a decorator. This stuff has served the purpose. Would you like some wine?”

She nodded. “That’d be great.”

As he left the room, Kingsley felt a surge of warmth. After all this time, Elysia was back in his loft. He never thought it would be possible. Now all he had to do was make sure things ended differently this time. He’d do everything in his power to make sure he didn’t lose her again.

Digging through the cupboard, he was surprised to find two matching glasses. He really didn’t entertain, and had little use for two of anything. Smiling, he grabbed the wine from the fridge and walked back towards the living room. For the first time since Elysia had last been there, he started to feel the Christmas Spirit. Even the Hippogriff carols didn’t seem so bad.

When he re-entered his living room, he nearly dropped the wine. The room had been entirely transformed. A large tree was taking up most of the space, decorated with sparkling lights. Garland and balls decorated the walls and ceilings. Christmas music was even playing softly in the background.

“You’re house looked a little drab for Christmas Eve,” she told him.

He shook his head, handing her a glass and pouring them both a drink. “I suppose it did,” he said. “I don’t really bother celebrating the holidays.”

“That’s kind of sad,” she told him, curling into his arms as he settled on the sofa beside her. “I hope it’s not because of me. I know I left on Christmas Eve. But I suppose I shouldn’t make everything about me.”

Kingsley almost laughed. It was about her. Practically everything in his life had been about her. Every time he made a choice, he wondered if she’d approve. She was far away and he still tried to make her happy.

“You did a wonderful job,” he told her. “This looks lovely.”

“Thanks,” she replied, sipping the wine.

After that there was silence. Not the comfortable silence between happy lovers, but the awkward silence of a couple who doesn’t know how to proceed. For awhile, they just stayed in the each other’s arms. That was safe and comfy.

Kingsley was the first to speak. “There’s something I’ve always wanted to tell you”about Bella. I heard what you said before you left. I did what you asked. I made that investigation go away. And even as the years went on, as she got worse, I never went after her again. I had nothing to do with her arrest. I never raised my wand against her in battle. I vowed to never hurt you like that again.”

“Thank you,” she replied, sitting her glass down and turning to face him. “I appreciate that you looked out for her. She needed someone. She needed me. I was selfish to leave. I was mad at you, yes. But I still loved you. And Bella needed me. I don’t know why I did it. If I’d stayed everything might have been different. I might’ve been able to help Bella before things went too far. Maybe I could’ve saved her from Azkaban. Maybe I could’ve saved her life. Maybe I could’ve saved myself from being lonely and miserable all these years. I left my best friend and the man that I loved when a war was about to start.”

She took a deep breath, looked away.

“When I came to you tonight you apologized,” she continued. “You’re not the one who needs to apologize. I was in the wrong. I’m sorry I left you. I’m sorry I left Bella. I’m even sorry I left Lucius. Maybe I could’ve knocked some sense into my little brother, too.”

Kingsley was astounded by her words and the amount of guilt she had been carrying. Guilt that she didn’t deserve. She wasn’t responsible for saving Bella or Lucius. They made their own choices.

“I don’t think you were wrong,” he replied, realizing for the first time that the words were true. “You were in a painful situation. Bella and I were about to go to war”with each other. I’m glad you left without seeing that. There was nothing you could’ve done to change it. Out minds were made up. I was an Auror. I was happy with that. Bella was a Death Eater. She wasn’t about to back out. If you had stayed, you would’ve seen every battle wound. You would’ve watched Bella completely lose herself. You couldn’t have saved her, but you saved yourself by leaving. I could never hold that against you. If she was here, she’d say the same thing. I know because she loved you as much as I do.”

Tears streamed down Elysia’s face.

“You mean it?” she asked.

“Every word.”

She wrapped her hands around his head, pulling him into a kiss. Her tears dripped into his mouth, be he didn’t care.

“You really want me back?” she asked, pulling away suddenly.

“Did you think I was littering your house with roses because I was bored?” he asked. “Of course, I want you back. I’ve never wanted anything else.”

“You’re all I’ve ever wanted, too,” she replied, resting her head on his shoulders.

“So you’ll stay?” he asked.

“As long as you want me.”

“That could be a long time,” he warned. “We’re pretty much talking about forever here.”

“I can live with that,” she replied, wrapping her arms tightly around him.

He loved the feeling of her beside him. For so long, he’d been without that feeling. Having it back was the most amazing gift he’d ever received. More than anything, he wanted to stay like that forever.

“I don’t suppose your baby brother will be too happy about this,” he said. Honestly, he wasn’t that happy about having Lucius in his life either.

“He’ll play nice,” she replied. “Lucius isn’t the type to pick a fight with the Minister for Magic. Actually, he’ll probably like having you around. If he’ll forgive me for leaving, that is.”

“I’m sure he will,” Kingsley replied. “He’s done some insane things over the years. He doesn’t have a lot of room to judge.”

“None of us do,” she replied.

As she snuggled closer to him, he remembered something in his bedroom, tucked away in the back of his sock drawer. Something he had refused to look at or think about. Her ring. The gift he’d never been able to give her. The question he’d never been able to ask.

Carefully, he eased himself away from her, getting to his feet. He had to do it while he still had the nerve.

“What’s wrong?” she asked, looking up at him with tired eyes. She’d been ready to fall asleep in his arms.

“Not a thing,” he replied. “I’ll be right back. Just wait here.”

“What are you up to?” she asked, eying him suspiciously.

“Trust me?”

“Always.”

“Then wait.”

She rolled her eyes. “Fine.”

He wasn’t gone more than a second. He’d never felt so sure about anything. There was no way he was going to give himself time to reconsider. This was right. It had always been right, and he wasn’t going to let it slip away again.

Stepping back into the room, he was clutching the small box, slightly dusty from its days in the sock drawer. He stared at her, curled up on his sofa. He hadn’t thought about what to say. Things were going so fast, but he liked it that way. Everything felt right.

He sat beside her, instead of getting on one knee. Something about that seemed so hokey. That’s not the way he wanted Elysia to see his proposal.

“The year you left, I never got to give you your present,” he told her, taking her hand. “I don’t know why I kept it all these years. I knew I could never give it to another. Maybe I knew I’d get a second chance.”

He opened the box and presented her with the ring.

“Elysia Malfoy, will you marry me?”

Her eyes widened, and she didn’t respond. He nearly stopped breathing. It was too fast. He’d scared her. She was going to go running into the night again.

“Kingsley,” she said, at last. “I had no idea you were going to propose that night.”

“I loved you then,” he replied, squeezing her hand, “and I love you now. But if this is too fast, I understand. I should’ve waited. You just got in the door. I’m sorry. Just forget about it.”

He moved to take the box away, but she grabbed his hand.

“Don’t you dare,” she said, grabbing the tiny diamond from the box. He hadn’t had enough money to get a larger one at the time. “I don’t want to wait. We’ve wasted enough time. Of course, I’ll marry you.”

“Huh?” He was dumbfounded. Already, he had prepared for rejection. Acceptance couldn’t even register in his mind.

“I said, I’ll marry you,” she replied, sliding the ring on her own finger.

She held her hand out, admiring the ring. Her smile was so wide and so bright. He knew he’d done the right thing. They were ready for this, and they were finally going to be happy.

She fell back into his arms and whispered, “Happy Christmas, Kingsley.”

“Happy Christmas, Mrs. Shacklebolt.”