Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Happy Christmas, Kingsley by Sly Severus

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A few days after his chat with Harry and Ron, Kingsley was once again sitting in his office, glaring at his invitation to the Ministry Ball. His mood had not improved. If anything, he was feeling worse. It seemed he could think of nothing but Elysia, and it really wasn’t fair. For years, he had managed to keep her at the back of his thoughts. How could a simple dance destroy all of his resolve?

The invitation remained on the floor by his garbage bin. He was afraid to pick it up, so he couldn’t throw it away. Every time he had trash, he was reminded of the humiliating ordeal that faced him.

Shaking his head, he turned away from the invitation. He was being ridiculous. It was a ball. He had to go. What was the big deal? He’d been an Auror most of his life, chasing after dark wizards. He’d fought against Voldemort. This was a dance. How could he let that destroy him?

Returning to his desk, he was feeling better. He could handle this. Of course, he could. He even managed a slight smile as he returned to his work. And had it not been for the knock on his door, he may have left it at that.

“Yes,” he called out.

The door opened and once again Harry and Ron barged into his office. They looked less cheery than the last time. This time they had an air of determination about them. Kingsley didn’t think he would like what was coming next.

“If you two plan to spend another day watching me, I’ll have to dock your pay,” he threatened, hoping to sound light hearted. Maybe if they thought he was in a better mood, they’d leave him alone.

“We’re not here to watch you, mate,” Ron replied, sitting across from him again.

“We’re here to help you,” Harry replied, joining his friend in the other chair.

“I really don’t need any help,” Kingsley replied. “So if you’d like to return to your jobs that would be perfect.”

“All right,” Harry replied, leaning back in the chair to make himself more comfortable. “If you can tell us about the girl, we’ll leave. That’ll prove that you’re really over her, and you don’t need us meddling.”

He almost groaned. Harry was good. There was no way he could talk about Elysia without going to pieces. He hadn’t mentioned her name since the day she left. It was just too painful. As far as he knew, neither her family nor Bellatrix ever mentioned her again either. Her departure had left many broken hearts.

“You can’t, can you?” Harry asked.

“So what?” he snapped. “Just because I don’t want to dredge up the past it doesn’t mean anything. I don’t need help with this.”

“What was her name?” Ron asked.

“It doesn’t matter,” he muttered. “She’s not a part of my life anymore.”

“And why is that?” Harry persisted. “Obviously, you never stopped loving her.”

“Well, she stopped loving me, okay?” he growled. “Drop it.”

“You’ve been hanging on to this woman for years,” Harry told him. “Your entire adult life has been dedicated to her memory. You must’ve had something pretty special with her. And so what if she dumped you? That was a long time ago. Most people believe in second chances. Look her up. Send her an owl. The worst she can do is tell you to go away.”

Clearly, Harry didn’t realize how devastating that could be. Elysia had left him once. He wasn’t sure how he’d survived it. There was no way he wanted to go through that again. It was better to leave her alone. She’d made her wishes very clear when she left.

“She doesn’t want to hear from me,” he muttered.

“She didn’t want to hear from you all those years ago,” Harry corrected. “A lot has changed. She probably feels differently now.”

“She’s been given no reason to forgive me,” he muttered.

“No, she hasn’t,” Ron agreed. “You let her go. If I gave up on Hermione every time she told me to bugger off, we’d have stopped speaking before we finished school. She can’t forgive you, if you don’t give her the chance.”

For a moment, Ron’s words made sense to him. He and Hermione had had many insane fights. She’d probably told him to get out of her life many times, but Ron never listened. Now they were married. Maybe things would’ve been different if he hadn’t given up so easily.

No, he decided. Elysia was right to be angry back then, but it was a long time ago. Maybe she would consider seeing him, at least. She might even think about being his date to the ball.

“Well?” Harry asked.

“Why do you two want to see me heartbroken?” he asked.

“We’re already looking at you heartbroken,” Harry told him. “We want to see you get a second chance with this dream girl. So what are you going to do?”

Deep down, Kingsley knew what he was about to agree to was ludicrous. He would only end up hurt, but somehow that wasn’t enough to stop him anymore. Maybe his friends were right. And if there was even the tiniest chance that Elysia could be in his life again, he had to take it.

“I’ll do it,” he replied. “I’ll invite her to the ball.”

Harry smiled. “Excellent.”

“Good for you, mate,” Ron replied.

Smiling, he shooed them from the room. He was ready to contact Elysia, but he didn’t want any witnesses. For once, they didn’t argue. They simply left him to his business.

He grabbed his quill and wrote a quick message. He didn’t want to over think it or he might chicken out.

Dearest Elysia,

I am sending you a bouquet of red roses. I know how lovely they look in your hair. I will continue to send you a bouquet every day until I hear back from you.

Please, come to the Ministry Ball with me.

I will always love you.

Kingsley


Still, smiling he sent an owl to the flower shop with his note and instructions to send the same message every day accompanied by a bouquet of red roses until he told them otherwise.

He felt content. He’d taken the first step.