Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Different Sort of Magic by bite

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
–What the hell!” he gasped.

Standing up, Harry looked around in shock to find no one around. It was eerily quiet apart from his heavy breathing. It was so quiet that he thought he could hear his own heartbeat.

Unsure what to do, Harry was about to go and find Dumbledore when his vision became blurry again. Oh no, he thought, panicking. As he pulled off his glasses, Harry felt the cold stone beneath his feet becoming warmer.

He put his glasses back on and found himself back in the bathroom at Grimmauld Place, staring at his pasty reflection in the mirror. A knock at the door made Harry nearly jump out of his skin. He yanked the door open and found Ron standing there in his pyjamas.

–I was just at Hogwarts,” said Harry.

–What?” asked Ron, looking at him strangely.

–Just now I was at Hogwarts,” replied Harry, watching as Ron took in the information.

–Have you gone mad? Ron asked.

–No, I swear I was standing in the entranceway of Hogwarts.”

–Come with me,” said Ron, taking Harry by the arm. He dragged Harry along the hallway and down the stairs to the kitchen, where the adults where still sitting.

–Harry says he was at Hogwarts,” Ron told them.

–What?” Mrs Weasley exclaimed.

–Go on, tell them,” Ron urged Harry.
–Just now in the bathroom—” Harry faltered, knowing it was impossible. –I was in Hogwarts.”

–Really?” Molly asked.

–Yes.”

–And how did you get there?” Arthur asked him.

–Don’t know—Apparated, maybe?”

–You’re too young for Apparation, Harry.”

–I know, but….” Harry stopped as his vision became blurry again.

–Oh no,” he said, and as he covered his glasses with his hand they saw Harry disappear in blue swirls of light.

–HARRY!” Arthur yelled.

–LIVING ROOM!” Harry yelled back.

–Wow!” said Ron, shocked. –Bloody hell!”

Everyone hurried out of the kitchen to the living room to find Harry standing behind the chair, holding onto it as if he was going to pass out.

–What is going on?” Arthur asked.

–I don’t know,” replied Harry, his voice shaken. –It keeps on happening.”

He disappeared again in swirls of blue light only to reappear seconds later on the same spot.

–Someone should call Dumbledore,” Molly suggested.

–Yes,” replied her husband as he went out of the room.

–What’s going on?” Hermione asked, coming down the stairs in her pyjamas with Ginny behind her.

–That.” Ron pointed as Harry disappeared and then reappeared seconds later at the other side of the room next to the book shelf.

–Oh.” Hermione stared at Harry and Ginny, also staring, gasped in shock and wondered what to do.

Harry disappeared and reappeared again. This time he ended up sitting on the chair. Everyone continued to stare at him.

–Dumbledore is on his way,” said Arthur, coming back into the room.

Harry sat there nervously and tapped his feet, waiting and trying not to Apparate or whatever was happening to him.

–Hello?” Dumbledore’s voice came from the hallway.

–In here!” Mrs Weasley called.

–What’s going on?” Dumbledore asked.

–Harry can Apparate,” replied Ron.

–What?”

–Do it again, Harry—go on, show him!”

–I don’t know how.” Harry suddenly sneezed and disappeared, reappearing seconds later. He felt scared and gasped when a bolt of blue light shot out of his chest and formed a circle of blue light around him and the chair, causing Dumbledore and the others to step back.

Dumbledore reached out and touched the light around Harry but was unable to get through it.

–No one is going to hurt you, Harry. Put the shield down.”

–I don’t know how,” Harry gasped.

–Try and calm down—see if that works.”

Harry tookseveral deep breaths and reminded himself that he was safe with Dumbledore here, and the blue bubble disappeared back into his chest.

Relieved Harry looked at Dumbledore and asked, –What do we do now?”

–We need to take you back to St. Mungo’s hospital again and have you tested to find out how you are able to Apparate and how you are able to put a force field around yourself.”

–In my pyjamas?”

–Go and get changed.”

Harry disappeared once again and this time found himself in the bathroom.

–I’M IN THE BATHROOM,” he yelled.

He quickly changed back into his clothes, still feeling a little scared about what was going to happen to him, as he and everyone else had no idea what was wrong with him. He still had no Idea what was going on, how he was able to Apparate and put up a force field. It could have something to do with him blacking out, he thought. He couldn’t figure it out.

Once he changed he was about to head out of the bathroom when his vision went again and seconds later he found himself standing in front of Dumbledore, who was sitting down next to Arthur and Molly. Ron, Ginny, Remus, and Hermione were sitting opposite them.

–Are you ready?” asked Dumbledore.

–Not really. I don’t want to go.”

–Take my hand.”

Harry reluctantly accepted Dumbledore’s hand and they Apparated to St. Mungo’s, the spinning nearly causing Harry to throw up. Taking several deep breaths, he attempted to calm himself down and clear his head. Feeling slightly better, Harry followed Dumbledore to the reception desk where the Headmaster had a few words with the Healer on duty.

–If you take a seat in the waiting room, I will find you a room and have you admitted,” the Healer said to Harry.

Once again Harry followed Dumbledore to the waiting room and sat down on the uncomfortable plastic seat.
It was at least two hours before the Healer came through and told them that they had a room ready for him.

–Finally!” Harry said. –I was really bored waiting.”
Dumbledore nodded in agreement, and he and Harry followed the Healer through the busy corridors.

–This is your room, Harry, number 42, with an en suite bathroom.” Peering into the room, Harry saw a bed with white sheets and a small toilet room. Slightly impressed, he went over and stood by the bed, unsure what to do.

–I will leave you to settle in, and there will be a few forms for you to fill out,” said the Healer.

–I will get Mrs Weasley to bring you some of your things in the morning,” Dumbledore told Harry.

–Yes, sir. How long will the tests take?”

–I don’t know,” Dumbledore replied. –I will see you in the morning.”

–Yes, sir.”

Once Dumbledore left, Harry’s only option was to go to bed.

After a really bad night’s sleep Harry was grouchy the next morning. Unable to eat any breakfast, around eight o’clock in the morning he was taken into a room where they took blood tests and x-rays. Then they sent Harry back his room, where he waited patiently. Several hours after lunch time, someone knocked on the door.

–Come in,” Harry called out.

The door opened and Ron walked in with Hermione, Ginny, Remus, and Arthur.

–We have brought some stuff for you,” Ron said, holding up a rucksack full of Harry’s things.

–Oh, good! I’ve been waiting forever,” Harry said, pointing at the clock. He’d been feeling forgotten and was starting to get angry. As he jabbed his finger at the clock, he watched as it exploded into tiny fragments, making a hole in the wall where the clock once was.