Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Beginning of the End by bertiebott12

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thanks to my wonderful beta, Mistletoe. I had a lot of fun writing this whole story. The next two chapters are on their way. Thank you to everyone that reads! I also want to thank the mods who put this challenge into place.
“I’ll take the Hungarian Cript Scroll and the dark powder in your hand.”

Salazar smiled, more than content with the middle-aged man’s choices. It had taken him a while to obtain those two items, one from Hungary and the other from Egypt. Memories flooded through his head, as well as images of his past adventures. The yearning that he held for the Dark Arts had only begun to seep out to his closest of friends and the merchants that he sold them to. Though most would not expect it, it earned him good money. Enough to get what he needed, anyway.

Glancing again at the powder in his hand, Salazar sighed. He would have loved to have more time to research the powder back at Hogwarts, but would find other ways to occupy his time. It was about time to head back to the school for Christmas, anyways. The three other heads would probably be expecting a much sooner return than this. Christmas was often a time of fellowship for the school, and the spirit had definitely been present upon his departure.

“Is that okay?”

He was interrupted from his thoughts by the inquiry. “Yes, that will be just fine. I will take the book and the pin. Know that if I am disappointed in these I will bring them back, and will expect the scroll and the powder to be returned to me.”

The powder’s new owner was about to say something when Slytherin interrupted, “Now, for the small details. I assume that you already understand this, but I will repeat it anyway in case you don’t.” He pulled out his wand from inside his robes. “If word gets out that I have been trading these items, or have had them in my possession for whatever amount of time, then the consequences will not be pleasant. Are we clear?”

A nervous look was shot at him from across the table, followed by a statement. “Yes, we are very clear. Will you be getting back to the castle, or could you stay for a spot of tea? There was something that I was thinking about, and, I have to admit, I’m very curious.”

Salazar looked at him. “Yes, I suppose that I could wait a few more moments. I’ll take tea.” He sat back in his chair as the other man walked out of the small room to the small kitchen. He heard a spell muttered, and a teapot started to whistle. The man, Cyrus Acosta, certainly was a character. He seemed to agree with everything that Salazar said. Salazar made a mental note. In the back of his head, something was bugging him.

What could Acosta be curious about? He had never shared anything about his personal life with anyone, let alone this ignorant man. Maybe that was the man’s reason for curiosity. Salazar wasn’t a huge figure. He should have known that people would wonder about his past and his present life. But it wasn’t this concept that was bothering him. It was the way that the man offered the tea that wasn’t right. It was almost in an accusing tone, if that tone was possible in asking such a simple question.

Salazar had heard about Cyrus and his artifacts through a close friend who shared the same interest. He was interrupted from his thoughts when he heard the clang of a pot rubbing up against the wooden doorframe. “Ah! Here we are!”

Graciously accepting the cup of tea, he asked, “What is it you are curious about? I can’t sit around and chat for long. I have to get back to Hogwarts soon. My long disappearance will be questioned, and that needn’t happen.”

An immediate response followed. “Well, to stay it simply, I’m wondering why you are still at Hogwarts. You obviously stand out from the others. Why haven’t you left to move onto bigger and greater things?”

This question surprised Slytherin. The man could tell. There was a certain look that flickered on Salazar’s face that made it clear. He had definitely thrown a question at him that was not expected. After sighing and taking a sip of his tea, Salazar said, “It is obvious that I am different. I am sort of the odd one of the bunch, if you will. Life at Hogwarts has never been everything that I wished it to be. The school is one of my greatest passions, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t agree with everything that has been done, if-“

Cyrus interrupted, “What don’t you agree with? All I am saying is that you are different. You could achieve things that are great, but you are limiting yourself with Hogwarts. I know these things. Word gets around fast, even through snow. Here’s an example. Gryffindor has opposing views: he believes that blood doesn’t matter, and that Muggles should be treated with kindness and respect. You, obviously, think sense. So if h-“

It was Salazar’s turn to interrupt. “I think that it is time that I go. Can I floo from here?”

Acosta was about to object, but then saw the look frozen on the bigger man’s face. “No, I don’t have a fireplace that is connected to the Floo System. I’m afraid that the closest one is about half a mile west.”

“That will be fine,” Salazar said, as he looked out the window. His voice sounded very crisp, as if he wanted to say something but shouldn’t. The snow was still blinding and would definitely be a setback. He really couldn’t afford to waste much more time. His duties were back at Hogwarts, at the school. He would have to think of a good charm to work his way around the snow with. Smiling, he shook his head. It would be okay if he was a bit late. The others might not like it, but they were used to him taking his own time. But, he should probably go.

Cyrus stood up. “Do you need anyone accompanying y-?”

The other man spun around. “No! I will be fine on my own. Thank you for the cup of tea. Goodbye.” He shook Acosta’s hand, opened the door, and then walked out to face the storm.

He already knew exactly how he would find a place to walk. “Aguamenti!” he said rather loudly in the wind. As he said this, a jet of reasonably warm water shot out of the end of his wand. The snow he had been aiming at quickly melted into a small puddle in the cobblestone walkway.. That would have to do. He could melt the snow as he walked. And with that, he began to make his way west.