Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Strongest Form of Magic by GinervaPotter213

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

Credit goes to my fellow 'Puff Sandy for the title. Thank you! *hugs*
Chapter Notes: Thank you, Thank you to my beta Kat (Mistletoe) for helping me in making this story better than it was in the first draft. *hugs*
“Hi, I’m Renee. Renee Madison.”

Renee Madison, the new student from America, didn’t fit Hogwarts’ definition of an American, or a new student. She was of medium height with medium length brown hair and brown eyes. She had a fiery temper when set off, but was calm for the most part.

“Hi Renee, I’m Edward. Edward Bones. Are you the new seventh year Gryffindor?”

Renee was beautiful and smart, but she didn’t sit back and take life at Hogwarts like some expected her to. On her second day, she jinxed a boy for not leaving her alone - he had been trying to pick her up. In the months since then, there had been an ever-decreasing number of boys that tried to ask her out or help her more than she needed. Her preferred mode of warning someone to back off was a nice jinx to the face.

“Yeah, I guess I am. Are you in Gryffindor?”

This only made her more desirable.

“Yeah, I am. Want me to show you where your class is?”

The only question was who would get her first?

“Sure, thanks.”

~*~


“Renee, my darling!”

Renee scowled at the boy that sat down next to her. “How many times do I have to tell you not to call me that?”

The boy merely laughed. “At least once more, as always.”

The couple across the table smirked at the pair. “Edward, be careful. Remember what happened to David.”

Edward grinned. “But Liza, my dear, that just makes it more interesting.”

Renee muttered a spell and turned his hair canary yellow for good measure, though she hadn’t ruled out jinxing him just yet. Liza and Scorpius, being the good sports that they were, tried to hide their sniggering. Renee wondered how long it would take Edward to notice.

Liza coughed slightly to control her snorting and raised an eyebrow at Renee. “We should get going to Arithmancy.” She turned her attention to Scorpius. “See you later,” she sighed, proceeding to kiss him.

Renee and Edward grimaced at each other. According to Edward, it had taken until their sixth year for Scorpius to buck up the courage to ask Liza out. As Renee had only ever seen them together, she had originally assumed that it had been much longer.

Once the couple broke apart, the guys and girls went their separate ways. The girls walked to Arithmancy laughing and chatting about Quidditch, boys and homework while they heard the boys animatedly discussing the prospects for the English national team in this year’s Quidditch World Cup.

Renee couldn’t concentrate on Professor Vector’s lesson, her mind wandered of its own accord to the dungeons where the guys were in Potions. She wondered how Professor Heineka had reacted to Edward’s canary hair.

Halfway through the period, Renee realized what she was doing and mentally slapped herself. She hoped that Liza and Allyson hadn’t noticed her non-attentive air. She refocused herself and found that she was able to concentrate much better when she thought about Quidditch. Albus, the captain and one of the Chasers, had a new move planned for Liza and Renee, the other Chasers. It was a rather complex maneuver, but Renee thought that it was fun, and if she concentrated, she was able to almost understand it. This line of thought helped her mind stay in the Arithmancy room, under Renee’s control.

When they met the boys again over lunch, Edward’s hair was back to his normal dirty blonde shade.

“Thank you for the new look, Renee, but bright yellow just isn’t my color.” Edward walked over and sat next to Renee.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, Edward.” Renee feigned surprise. “You’re wearing black robes, and the Gryffindor color is gold, not yellow.”

Edward merely gave her a sarcastic smile and turned back to Albus, whom he had entered the Great Hall with.

Renee turned to Rose. “How’s Jason doing?”

Rose smiled. “He’s good. He’s glad that I’m so good at Potions, I have to help him a lot,” she laughed.

Renee laughed along. Jason Nott was Rose’s Slytherin boyfriend. They had met through Scorpius who was friends with them both; at least, that’s what Liza had told Renee.

After lunch the six Gryffindors, along with Jason, had Care of Magical Creatures together. They were looking forward to this class because it was Hagrid’s tradition to provide a fire full of salamanders on the first class after the first snowfall of the year, no matter what year they happened to be.

When the seven friends reached the doors to the grounds, however, they all groaned. The snow that had fallen the previous day was being washed away by a rainstorm.

“Rain in the middle of December?” Albus complained loudly. “It should be snowing!”

The ceiling of the Great Hall had been cloudy, but then again, it had been that way for the past month.

Hagrid came up to the castle. “Sorry class, we’re gonna be inside today.”

Hagrid brought out the salamanders, and they cared for them in the Great Hall. Everyone was quieter than normal. This day was the day that they most looked forward to in the winter months and it had been denied to them. The salamanders were warm and scaly, which only made it worse. They all wished that they could have been outside in the snow.

“So, how are you?” Renee asked Albus with a sad sigh.

He sighed in agreement. “I’m pretty good. How are you?”

Renee couldn’t answer because everyone rushed to the windows. It had begun snowing again.

“All righ’ everyone,” Hagrid called out. “Get yer cloaks, we’re gonna head outside. Don’t ferget yer Salamanders.”

For the remainder of the double period they happily attended to their annual bonfire. The snow was falling perfectly, the bonfire was warm, and the salamanders looked white-hot, as they should. Renee chatted happily with Liza about Quidditch and Albus’ new plan for the remainder of the season as they collected wood to fuel the fire.

~*~


That night in the common room, Renee helped Allyson with her Transfiguration homework while Edward, Albus, Rose and Scorpius worked on Potions together. Liza was out doing Head Girl duty.

“Aha!” Allyson exclaimed, throwing her quill down. “I get it!”

Renee smiled. “All because of your wonderful, amazing tutor, right?” They both giggled.

With only two days left until the Christmas holidays, Renee didn’t have any more homework, so she settled down in an armchair with her favourite book.

The first parchment ball that landed in her lap was ignored. The second was thrown into the fire along with the first. When three identical balls landed at the same time, Renee decided to open one.

Renee, darling - What are you doing?
-Edward


Renee threw the other two into the fire and scribbled a note back.

Ignoring you.

She looked behind her to where he was sitting. He was facing to the side, his head bent over his homework.

Perfect.

Renee took aim and threw, pausing just long enough to see the crumpled ball collide with the side of his face. Smirking to herself, Renee sat back down, hiding herself behind the back of the armchair. She knew that she was a Chaser for a good reason.

Before she could get completely settled the paper ball was back in her lap.

And failing beautifully. So, what are you doing for Christmas?

Renee rolled her eyes and grabbed her quill.

I’m not sure. Mom and Dad haven’t written to tell me if they got a Portkey for me to go home. I’ll probably stay here.

This time Renee used her wand to send the note. Quicker than she expected, it was back.

I’m sorry. I’ll ask my mum if you can come over, if you want.

Renee was touched. She felt like there were butterflies doing a happy dance in her heart, and she was sure that her mouth had a goofy smile on it, so it took a moment before she could control herself enough to respond.

Thanks, but I wouldn’t want to intrude on your family.

Thoroughly curious about what his response would be, Renee waited for the ball to land in her lap. She hadn’t expected such a generous thought and, though she wouldn’t admit it, she really appreciated his offer. Soon enough his reply landed.

You wouldn’t be intruding. You want me to ask?

Renee smiled as she replied.

If you want to. Thanks.

Renee sent the note and collected her things. It was getting late and she was getting tired.

“Good night, darling!” Edward called after her. Renee ignored him, though she was still smiling.

~*~


The next day dawned bright and clear. Renee wasn’t used to so much light this early in the morning, so when it invaded the room and shone on her face, she groaned and turned over in her bed.

“Renee, get up! Look outside!” came Liza’s much-too-awake voice. Renee said nothing, so Liza whacked her with a pillow.

“Alright, I’m up,” Renee grumbled. When she got up and looked outside, however, all sleepiness was forgotten.

The snow had continued throughout the night and the grounds were completely covered in snow. The dormitory was filled with squeals of delight as Liza woke up Allyson and Rose. Renee dressed quickly and warmly. Oh, how glad she was that she only had four classes today!

During breakfast, Edward and Albus planned an epic snow battle to be fought after classes were over. Renee, Rose and Liza agreed to join in, and it was agreed that Scorpius, who hadn’t come down yet, was going to be forced to join. It was decided that Edward and Albus were to be team captains, and they each picked their team. The teams as they were by the first class were Albus, Liza and Renee against Edward, Scorpius and Rose. It was also agreed that they wouldn’t use wands - only snow.

~*~


Renee couldn’t concentrate on Professor Allen’s lecture, but neither could the rest of the class. It was the last class of the day for the Gryffindors, and the six friends were anxious to get outside the castle.

When there was only a minute left until freedom, Professor Allen called the class to attention.

“Now, I know that those of you who were planning on staying over break are wondering when the sign up list will be coming around, and I assure you all that it will be passed out tomorrow morning.”

Finally, the bell rang. The Gryffindors sprinted to Gryffindor Tower together to drop off their things. As they left, Edward’s owl appeared at the window. Edward grabbed Renee’s arm and they held back while the others left the common room.

Edward opened the letter and read quickly, a smile growing on his lips. Once he finished he looked up at Renee. “My mum says that you can come over the Christmas holiday. If you want,” he added, looking hopeful.

Renee had thought about this the previous night and that day, so she was ready with an answer. “If you’re sure,” she started hesitantly. When he nodded, she continued, “Then I’d be happy to.”

His face lit up. “I’ll let my mum know and meet you outside.” He ran up to his dormitory with his owl on his arm.

Renee smiled to herself as she turned to run outside.

~*~


“Where’s Edward?” Scorpius demanded as soon as Renee reached their meeting place before the battle.

“He’s replying to his mom, he’ll be down soon,” she assured him.

Once they were all gathered in the field, the preparations began. Albus, Liza and Renee built their fort and prepared the snowballs that would stay in the fort. The decision of who would stay behind as their “cannon” was hard as they all had good throwing arms, since they all were Chasers. In the end, it was decided that Liza had the strongest arm and could cover the most distance, so she stayed behind. The enemy fort was on the other side of the lake, so Albus and Renee decided to use the forest and Hagrid’s hut as cover for their attack.

Red sparks shot up from the other fort signaling the start of the battle. Albus led the way behind their fort. Once under cover of the forest, Albus and Renee split up. Renee headed towards the rear of the enemy fort while Albus went to the front. At his signal she started creeping up behind them, and he ran at their front. He was the distraction, and it worked. Edward and Rose fired at Albus so Renee was able to sneak up on them from behind. Sooner than expected, Albus and Renee had won the enemy’s fort. Albus stayed behind as Renee marched the prisoners back to her home fort. They didn’t put up a fight, which made Renee suspicious. She had expected an escape attempt, especially from Edward.

When they reached the fort they found Liza and Scorpius locked together by the lips.

“Liza!” Renee yelled as Edward cheered, “Scorpius!”

“He’s the enemy! You’re supposed to defend our fort!” Renee fought hard to suppress a grin. It was so obvious that those two liked each other.

“Well done, Scorpius,” Edward admired. “Effective way to take over a fort, I’ll have to remember that one.”

Renee swatted at the back of Edward's head and turned to Liza. “What are you doing?”

“Switching teams,” Liza grinned wickedly as she fired snowballs at Renee and Edward. They retreated to the fort where a confused Albus was waiting.

“What happened? Where’s Liza? Why’s he here?” he asked Renee in quick succession, indicating Edward.

“Liza’s gone to the dark side. Edward has joined our team. What do we do now?”

“Well, I can’t use Scorpius’ means of taking over the fort as the only single girl is now on my team,” Edward observed, which made Albus look to Renee in confusion.

“When we made it over there we found Scorpius and Liza making out,” she explained. Albus looked appreciative, which made Renee roll her eyes at the both of them.

Suddenly, Edward’s face lit up. He looked at Renee with a mischievous gleam in his eyes. “I hope you don’t throw like a girl.”

~*~


Ten minutes later, Edward and Renee were standing in the castle looking out over the battlefield. Their view from the first floor looked right down upon the fort, where all the enemies were currently hiding. Edward had used his wand to Summon snow to their hiding post and to make sure that it wasn’t going to melt.

“We never said that we wouldn’t use magic on the snow, just not against each other,” he defended himself sweetly when Renee raised an eyebrow at him.

“There’s Al,” Edward pointed out to the open field where Albus was being a splendid decoy. Gathering his snowballs, Edward asked, “Okay, you know the plan, right?” Renee nodded and prepared her snowballs as well.

When the others noticed Albus, they started firing at him, which was Edward’s cue to jump out the window onto the raised snow pile and attack from behind. Once some of them turned to start attacking Edward, Renee pelted them with snowballs from her perch in the window.

Rose was the first to go down. Once she did, Renee jumped out the window and rolled down the bank to assist Edward. Liza and Scorpius lasted a minute longer, but they too surrendered.

“Woo!” Edward cheered. He grabbed Renee and swung her around. When he set her down, he looked into her eyes. Renee noticed how his eyes were the perfect shade of blue as he leaned in towards her.

Their moment didn’t last long. Albus came over and clapped Edward on the back, forcing him to take his eyes from Renee's. They celebrated while they walked into the castle. By now it was getting dark and everyone needed to get changed before dinner.

~*~


At dinner Edward, Albus and Scorpius recounted the battle to Jake, Aiden, Allyson, pretty much anyone who would listen.

“…So then Renee joins the attack and we win!” Edward finished, waving his fork for dramatic effect.

“It was a completely illegal attack!” Liza interjected.

“On what grounds?” Renee countered. “We didn’t shoot any spells at you, we didn’t charm the snowballs to fly, and you never said we couldn’t use the castle.”

“We never said we could!” Liza fired just in time for Professor Andrews, the headmaster after Professor McGonagall, to stand up.

“Now, I’m sure that you are all anxious to get up to your dormitories after a tiring day of work,” he announced, his eyes pausing a moment on the Gryffindor seventh years in particular, “but you’ll want to hear me out. Your professors and I have agreed that, because you will not be able to concentrate anyway, there will be no classes tomorrow.” He had to pause for the cheers that erupted in the hall.

Once everyone had quieted down, he continued, “And be sure to check the bulletin boards in your common rooms tonight. That is all I have to say. Good night!”

The hall was filled with chatter and the sounds of running as everyone tried to get to their common rooms first.

Renee walked with Rose, who waved to Jason as he exited the hall.

“Have you two ever been caught in any broom closets by Liza after curfew?” Renee inquired, smiling at Rose.

“Only once,” Rose responded innocently, unable to hide a wicked smirk.

They were the first seventh years to reach the common room. When they approached the board, they had to fight their way through the crowd of younger students. When they got to the front, a large, blue poster greeted them, covering everything else.

All fourth years and above are cordially invited to Hogwarts’ first annual
Yule Ball
To be held on December 25th.
Dress robes are to be worn.
First through third years may attend with an older date.


Renee groaned and fought her way back out as quickly as possible. She knew what was coming.

Before she could make it up the stairs she heard his voice calling, “Hey, Renee!”

Muttering darkly to herself about Hogwarts and balls, Renee reluctantly turned around.

Edward stood there grinning. “Wannagowithme?”

He had said it so fast that Renee didn’t understand there were four different words instead of just one long one. “Sorry, what?”

“Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t do it right, did I?” He grabbed both of her hands and knelt on one knee. “Renee Madison, would you do me the honor of attending the Yule Ball with me?” He grinned up at her.

Groaning internally that she hadn’t run faster, Renee agreed, “Sure, I’ll go.”

Edward stood and bowed. “Thank you, m'lady.” Renee couldn’t help herself, she giggled. When Edward looked back up at her his smile seemed so genuine that Renee’s resolve faltered. Maybe this wouldn’t be so bad.
Chapter Endnotes: Remember, Renee is American, so she uses American sayings (like Mom insteand of Mum)
Two more chapters to come!
-Ayra