Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Choices by Treacle_Heart

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

Sadly, I don't own Harry Potter. He belongs to JKR.
Chapter Notes: Thank you to Alyssa (harry4lif) and Haylee (XhayleeXblackX) for beta-ing this. You ladies rock.

I use a line from DH in this. Try and spot it. ;]
There were spells flying all over the place as I crept between the trees towards Hogwarts. I had told Dennis that I was just helping keep the others in line, that he should continue without me, and that I’d meet up with him later.

I suddenly found myself in the midst of the battle. Spells of blue, red and green coloured the night like fireworks. I shot a few stunning spells towards the opposing side, hoping to be of some help.

There was a deafening crash from above me, and I dove out of the way as a chunk of the castle wall came down where I had previously been standing. Dust filled the air as the wall broke into small pieces. Coughing, I stumbled out of the dusty haze, trying to gather my surroundings. Before I could see where I was, a shimmering green light broke through my vision.


Suddenly, the pain, the dread and all the noise was gone. I was sitting in the Gryffindor common room. But … that couldn’t be right. I stood up and walked over to the window. The battle was raging on. It was like watching a silent film; you could see the terror, but not hear it.

“Hello, Colin,” a gentle voice rang out from behind me. I spun around to see Nearly Headless Nick.

“Nick!” I cried. “Why am I here? Why can’t I hear anything?” Fear settled in the pit of my stomach, making me feel sick with worry.

“Colin, my boy, this may be hard for you to understand,” Nick said solemnly. I waved my hand for him to go on. “Well, you see … how shall I put this?” Nick muttered to himself. “Colin, what was the last thing you remember before being in here?” he asked.

“I remember … the castle wall fell. It almost hit me. And … a flash of green light…” I trailed off, realisation hitting me like a brick.

Nick smiled a remorseful smile. “You have to make a choice, Colin. Soon you will have to decide whether you want to stay here on earth, like I had chosen, or to go on.”

“I’m staying here, with my family,” I stated. It was obvious. I had to stay with Dennis; I had to be his big brother. Didn’t he know that?

I stormed out of the common room, but Nick followed me. “Are you sure, Colin?” he asked hurriedly. “What happens when your family is gone? You will be alone.”

“No, I’ll go on then, with them,” I explained, becoming more and more frustrated with our conversation. Why couldn’t he understand that fact?

Nick looked extremely upset as I said that. “Colin, once you make your choice, there is no going back. If I were able to, I would’ve moved on from here centuries ago. This is a huge decision, and I beg you to think it through!”

I was shocked. On the one hand, I wanted to be there for Dennis, to help him along the way when he needed it. On the other hand, I wouldn’t want to be alone once they had gone.

Nick and I slowly moved down the staircases, each immersed in our own thoughts.
I hadn’t realised where we were headed until I saw the Entrance hall, or rather, what was left of it. The once magnificent room was now covered in shattered rocks, and there were flecks of blood on the walls. I froze, shocked. I made to speak, but was silenced by the scene that came through the doorway.

Neville Longbottom and Oliver Wood were carrying my body.

“You know what? I can manage him alone, Neville,” Oliver said, heaving my limp body over his shoulder.

I watched in horror as he began walking into the Great Hall. I ran down the steps, and tried to go back into my body, trying to get my hand to move when I placed my translucent one on it.

Nothing happened. I felt a hard lump rise in my throat, and I swallowed hard to relieve myself of it. My ties with the real world were gone. My mind finally registered the fact that I was dead.

I looked at Nick. “What do I do now?” I whispered. All I could think of was my family. How will they cope?

“You have to choose, Colin. Do you want to stay here, and be a ghost, as I am, or do you want to move on?” Nick asked patiently.

“I don’t know,” I admitted. “How long do I have, wherever I am now?”

“Not long,” Nick said sadly. “You have to choose very soon.”

I looked into the Great Hall, watched as the wounded were aided, and saw the dead being mourned.

Did I really want to watch as they grieved my death? How would they react to my being a ghost? Mum and Dad would think it strange, frightening even, what with them being Muggles. Dennis would be somewhat used to it, but I knew they wouldn’t want it. They would want me to be at peace.

I looked somberly into Nick’s grey eyes. “I’m going on,” I whispered.

He nodded, and I thought I saw pride in his eyes. I think Nick knew all along what I would end up choosing. I looked once more into the Great Hall, before turning my back on them, on the world that I had barely known, and went into the unknown.