Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Living in Twilight by solemnlyswear_x

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Italics at the beginning are from OotP, 864 (American, paperback). Story title from a wonderful song by The Weepies. And many thanks to Alison for being a wonderful beta! :)
“Oh no,” said Luna. “No, I think I’ll just go down and have some pudding and wait for it all to turn up…. It always does in the end. Well, have a nice holiday, Harry.”

“Yeah… yeah, you too.”


Luna watched Harry for a moment longer before turning to walk away. She felt a bit sorry for him, standing all alone in the hall, but thought that there were some things best handled alone. Perhaps he could say goodbye to his godfather better if she weren’t there. With a small glance over her shoulder, Luna continued down the hallway until she reached the staircase that led to the Great Hall.

She took the steps two at a time, happy that she had decided to go to the feast after all. And with any luck, her stuff would return to her dormitory by the time she went back upstairs.

Luna had just stepped off the last few stairs when she heard what sounded like someone crying. She froze immediately and looked around; the noise appeared to be coming from one of the empty classrooms to her right. She waited, still not moving, until she heard the sound again. Then, with a determined air, she walked toward the classroom closest to her.

The empty room’s door was ajar, and if Luna stood close enough, she knew without a doubt that something was there. Tentatively, she pushed open the door, not wanting to intrude on whoever was inside. “Hello?” Luna called softly. “Is someone there, or is it the Blibbering Humdingers again?”

Luna took a step through the now-open door, and heard was another sniff from somewhere to her right. She turned sharply and was surprised to find Neville Longbottom sitting a desk “ she had been fairly sure she was going to see some Blibbering Humdingers hiding in the corner.

Luna took a few steps toward Neville, whose head shot up at the sound of her voice and footsteps.

“Oh, Luna, it’s you,” he said. “I thought maybe a teacher had been sent to find me.”

“It’s just me,” Luna replied dreamily. “Are you all right?” She thought that Neville must have just stopped crying. She had heard sobs while standing on the stairs, but they seemed to have now subsided into noisy sniffs.

“I’m fine,” Neville said simply, looking away form Luna.

Luna took a few steps forward and sat down at the desk next to Neville. “Well, why aren’t you at the feast?” she asked, pulling at a wayward curl. “Harry didn’t go either,” Luna continued, not waiting for an answer. “He said he just didn’t feel like it, but it was really because of his godfather. Did you just not feel like it too?”

Neville shook his head and mumbled something incoherent. His eyes were still firmly trained onto a spot on top of the desk.

“What did you say?” Luna asked, peering at him closely. “Do you think the Wrackspurts are back? They like to make your brain go fuzzy when you’re talking sometimes.”

Neville looked up at Luna again, and she noticed his eyes were red-rimmed. “I was just doing some thinking.”

Luna nodded. “I do some of my best thinking in dimly-lit classrooms too.”

A small silence settled between them, but Luna waited for Neville to break it. She thought he might want someone to talk to, as Harry had, but didn’t want to push him into any sort of conversation. Sometimes, listening was much better.

“I was thinking about Bellatrix Lestrange,” Neville said finally, his voice sounding strained.

“She was the woman from the Department of Mysteries,” Luna said, phrasing it as a statement rather than a question.

“She was the woman who tortured my parents.” Neville’s eyes dropped back to the desk. “My mum and dad are in St. Mungo’s. I’m sure you’ve heard that.”

Luna nodded. “At least you can see them still,” she said. “It must be nice to see their faces."

“It isn’t, not really,” Neville said flatly. After he said this, he began to drum his fingers against the desk. Brum, brum, brum.

“I know I would like to see my mother’s face again,” Luna said. “Dad says I look more like her now than ever before; I’d like to see if he’s right. My mother was an extraordinary witch, you know. She used to read me stories about creatures from far-away places.” Unconsciously, her hand shot up to her hair, twirling an escaped blonde curl slowly. An image of a young woman flashed through her mind, but disappeared as quickly as it had come. Luna hadn't even had time to look closely.

Brum, brum, brum. “Every time I go to see them, I think that maybe this day they’ll finally remember me.” Neville’s eyes snapped back to Luna’s. “They never do.” He was quiet for a moment before he added, “Sometimes I don’t think I’ll be able to visit them anymore; it’s too hard.”

“It’s easier to leave than to be left behind,” Luna said solemnly.

“Yeah. Yeah, I know.” Brum, brum, brum. “But do you know why I’m really upset?” Neville asked, voice strangled. “It’s because I didn’t stop Bellatrix at the Department of Mysteries. I thought that if I could, I would finally st “ finally stop…” He trailed off.

“Stop what?”

Neville shook his head. “Never mind, it’s stupid. She did the Cruciatus Curse on me, and I couldn’t fight back. That’s all.”

Luna gave him a few moments to change his mind and elaborate, but when he didn’t, she spoke up. “What did you think would stop, Neville?” she prompted. "If the Wrackspurts have your tongue again, you could try pulling on your ears. That usually makes them leave you alone."

Brum, brum, brum. “I “ I… I thought that I might stop “ stop feeling so useless,” he mumbled. “If I could avenge their deaths, I thought I might feel like I belong in Gryffindor, or like Gran would actually be proud of me.”

Luna reached out and patted Neville’s hand. “Well, that’s a silly thing to think. You do belong in Gryffindor, first of all. To think you don’t would be like saying that Cornelius Fudge never had an army of Heliopaths.” Luna smiled. “You’re one of the bravest people I know. I’m sure you’re grandmother is proud of you too “ she probably just has a funny way of showing it.” She stopped for a moment, considering what to say next. “And if you really want to beat Bellatrix, I’m sure you’ll have another chance. The war isn’t over yet, and if we keep Dumbledore’s Army going, you’ll be able to fight her and win.”

Neville smiled slightly. “Maybe you’re right.”

“And in any case, I know something that will cheer you up, Neville,” Luna said, her tone suddenly turning bright. “Tomorrow’s Crumple-Horned Snorkack Appreciation Day, you know.”

“Crumpled-Toed what?” Neville asked weakly. He brushed absentmindedly at cheeks, as if trying to wipe off the tear tracks that had been formed earlier.

“Crumple-Horned Snorkacks,” Luna repeated, her voice tinged with just the slightest bit of exasperation, as though she were used to clarifying this. “You do know what they are, don’t you?”

“I “ er, I think I remember Hermione saying they didn’t exist,” Neville said. His gaze flitted around the classroom, never meeting Luna’s eyes.

Luna shook her head. “They do exist, but because they’re so difficult to spot, people tend to say they aren’t real. That’s like a lot of things, actually,” she continued serenely. “When something’s hard to prove, everyone gives up hope, and no one has the faith they need to believe.”

“Oh,” was Neville’s reply. Despite his slightly lackluster reply, Luna thought he appeared mostly convinced that Hermione had been wrong in her doubt.

“Well, Dad and I are going to Sweden to look for a Crumple-Horned Snorkack this summer. Like I said, they’re very elusive, but they’re these creatures with spiral horns and magical abilities,” Luna said dreamily. She had begun to stare off into the corner of the classroom as if Neville weren't there at all. “It’s all very exciting.”

“It sounds like it, Luna,” Neville said. “It must be nice to get to travel the world.”

“Oh, it is." Her eyes widened in enthusiasm. "Everything is so new and interesting. Exploring a new country is a lot like discovering a new animal species. And I think Dad is going to write something about our adventure in The Quibbler, which will be very nice.”

Silence fell again, but it was neither awkward nor uncomfortable. They both simply sat, side-by-side, thinking of different things and enjoying one another’s company.

Finally, Neville broke the silence. “Thanks, Luna,” he muttered. “I really need someone to talk to.”

“You’re welcome, Neville,” she replied. She paused to smile at him before adding, “We could go to the feast, if you’d like. I’m sure there’s still some pudding left.”

Neville hesitated for a moment, considering his options. “I would like that, I think.”

Luna’s eyes widened, and then she smiled again, beaming this time. “Good, let’s go.” She stood up from the desk, glanced at Neville, and then grabbed his hand.

“If we hurry, I’m sure the Treacle Tart will still be good,” Luna said, pulling him out of the classroom. “Sometimes the Nargles try to nest there and make it taste too salty.”

“Right,” Neville said, fighting back a laugh. He let Luna lead him through the door, never letting go of her hand. “We can walk fast then.”