Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Black Christmas by Sly Severus

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Filtered music and laughter floated through the closed door. Bellatrix hated the sounds. Everything was so phony. Downstairs they celebrated Christmas without once thinking about the holiday. They paraded their money and status, showing off their children as mere possessions. None of them were there to enjoy the festivities. They were there to make an appearance. They were there because it was expected of them.

She wasn’t there because she was sick of it. She was proud of her wealth and bloodline, probably more so than most of the frauds in her living room. Nothing meant more to her than carrying on the family legacy, but she wanted to do it in her own way. She wanted to show honor and dignity. She didn’t want to get drunk and wake up next to Rodolphus Lestrange. His blood may have been pure, but she wanted more than that from a man before she’d invite him to her bed.

Frustrated, she grabbed the pillow from her bed, covering her ears, trying to block it all out. Why couldn’t they go home? Why did her parents always have to be the ones to host this ridiculous party? She just wanted a quiet Christmas, with no drunken forty-year-olds trying to feel her up.

Those people made it look like being a pureblood was the same as being a drunk. She wanted to change that.

Through her pillow, she heard a knock on the door. She didn’t want to answer it. One of her parents must’ve been sober enough to notice her absence. They’d come upstairs to yell at her and demand she return to the drunk tank. If only she were a year younger, she’d be underage and allowed to remain in her room. She envied her sisters, hidden away from the madness.

“Bella?” a young voice called. “I know you’re in there. Can I come in?”

“Cissy,” she called, flipping the door opened with her wand. “What are you doing up? It’s past one.”

“I can’t sleep with all that raving down there,” she muttered with a yawn. “Not to mention Sirius and Andromeda down the hall giggling like fools. At least, someone is having fun tonight.”

Bella sighed. She’d almost forgotten that even the upstairs of her home had been invaded that night. Her cousins, as well as Lucius Malfoy, were somewhere in the many rooms, supposedly sleeping. Purebloods never liked to leave their precious offspring alone for long periods of time. That little brat Lucius had probably found something to torture. Lord only knew what her sister was planning with their hellion cousin.

Narcissa climbed onto the bed, and rested her head against Bella’s pillow. The poor child was only thirteen, and didn’t have a rebellious bone in her body. She simply wanted to sleep in her own house. Of course, when you’re a Black, that’s just too much to ask.

“I hate Christmas,” she muttered.

“No, you don’t,” Bella told her, stretching out beside her. “You hate Christmas here. Anyone would. But real Christmas isn’t like this. Somewhere out there, parents spend the holidays with their children, making things special. Christmas is a good thing. When I have a place of my own, you can spend Christmas with me. Everything will be different. We’ll do things the traditional way.”

“Really?” Narcissa sat up straight. “Can we decorate a tree? Have eggnog? Sing carols? All the stuff we can’t do here because of the party.”

“Sure,” Bella replied, thrilled to see a sign of happiness from her sister. “Maybe it’ll even be next Christmas. I am of age, now. I don’t want to stay here.”

Narcissa’s face fell. “You’re going to leave me?” she asked. “I don’t want to be here without you. Mother and Father don’t even care that I exist. Andy is acting so strange and distant. I’d be all alone without you.”

Pulling her sister into her arms, Bella searched for the right words. “I have to leave. I can’t stay here forever. You won’t stay here forever either. We need to get out. We’re the next generation. We’re the ones who have to go out into the world and change things. We don’t ever want to turn into those people downstairs. There’s so much more to pureblood then being a drunken snob. Cissy, we need to fight to get our power back. We need to present ourselves as betters, not drunks. It’s our job to make things different. I can’t do that here.”

Narcissa buried her head in her sister’s arms. “I’ll miss you.”

“I’ll miss you, too,” Bella replied, tightening her grip on her sister’s shoulders, “but I’m not leaving tonight. Even when I do go, we’ll still see each other lots.”

“Promise?” Cissy looked at her with big, blue eyes. By her age, most children lost the ability to make an adult melt with sad eyes, but she had not. Bella began to doubt that she ever would.

“Promise,” she replied.

The simple word was enough to calm her sister. Bella was glad. She hoped Narcissa would stay that innocent and trusting forever. She’d hate to see the day when that little girl was a woman, knowing the hard truth about life.

Narcissa cuddled closer to Bella.

“It’s quieter in here,” she said. “Can I sleep here?”

“Of course,” Bella replied, easing Narcissa off her and onto the bed. “I think I’ll try a Silencing Charm on the door. Maybe then we really can get some rest.”

“Before we go to sleep can you do something for me?” Narcissa asked her voice innocent and sweet.

“Anything,” Bella said, hoping there was something she could do to give her baby sister a slightly happy holiday.

“I’ve always wanted to try eggnog,” she went on. “Father always says I can have some, but in the morning there’s never any left.”

Bella laughed. Such a simple request. She might have known that little Narcissa wouldn’t put her out. Others thought her sister was spoiled, but they were wrong. To Bella, she was always the sweetest little girl in the world.

“I’ll be back in a minute,” she told her, kissing her on the cheek. “Stay up here. I don’t want you downstairs in that madness.”

“I love you,” she replied as Bella rose to leave the room.

“I love you, too.”

Stepping into the hall, the sounds of the party hit her ears full force. She began to realize that Narcissa’s request wasn’t as small as she’d originally thought. In order to get eggnog, she’d have to return to the party. There was a chance she’d be cornered and unable to escape.

“Perhaps I may be of assistance,” a smooth voice suggested from the staircase.

She turned to see a young man, watching her intently. His dark hair was combed perfectly and his eyes shone with knowledge and power. She knew who he was. Had she known he’d been at the party, she’d have been less anxious to hide.

“Forgive me,” he continued, “I must admit, I was eavesdropping on your conversation. All my life, I wished to be included in these parties, and now I must say they simply bore me. I was far more interested in you.”

Bella said nothing. For a brief second, she was certain she had confused the man. This couldn’t be the Dark Lord. The great visionary who realized the world needed to be changed. Someone with that kind of wisdom and ability wouldn’t be interested in her. She was still a schoolgirl.

“I’m very interested in you, Bella,” he told her, a smile spreading across his face. The smile held no warmth, but she felt drawn to it, just the same.

“Can you read my mind?” she asked.

He nodded. “It’s a useful skill. Perhaps I could teach you.”

“R”really?” she stammered.

“If you’re interested,” he replied with a shrug. “I heard what you said to your sister. You’re very loyal to her. Loyalty is an extraordinarily important trait. You’re also very confident and intelligent. The way you talked about the future. I don’t doubt you will make a difference.”

“T”thank you.” She was still stammering, unable to think clearly. She was really talking to the Dark Lord. He was impressed with her. She felt lightheaded.

“It was nice to meet you, Bella,” he replied, smiling again. “I trust we will meet again. I believe we are on similar paths. For now, I’m afraid I must return to the party, and you must return to your sister.”

Bella nodded. For the first time, she felt the tiniest amount of resentment towards her sister, but it quickly passed.

He turned to leave, but then stopped short. “How foolish of me,” she said, turning back to her. “I got this for you.” He handed her a large glass of eggnog. “It was clear you didn’t wish to return to the party yourself.”

“Thank you,” she replied, accepting the glass. She noted it was in a wine glass. Narcissa would love that. Their parents refused to let her use them.

“You’re most welcome,” he said. “Happy Christmas, Bella. I will see you in the new year.”

“Happy Christmas,” she repeated.