Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Turning the Page by Sly Severus

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Teddy was screaming. The sound ripped through her head like a nail piercing her brain. Of course, she’d heard Teddy cry before, but his mother usually tended to him, and he settled right down. She wasn’t used to having the full responsibility of a baby. She had forgotten how to handle that after Dora became a woman.

“What do you want?” she asked, rocking the tiny infant. “You’ve eaten. You’ve been changed. I don’t know how to help you.”

Teddy continued to howl and his hair turned bright red.

Ginny came running into the room, holding another bottle. “Try this,” she said.

Harry and Ginny had been spending entirely too much time at her house. She was looking forward to the start of term so Ginny would return to school, and hopefully Harry would focus on his new job. She knew they loved Teddy, and wanted to help. But the simple truth was neither of them knew the first thing about children. If she left Teddy alone with them, she’d come back to find the defenseless infant had overpowered them. Most of the time, she felt like she was taking care of three children when they were there.

“I just fed him, Ginny,” she said, sounding more impatient than she intended. After all, Ginny was trying to help. “I can’t feed him every few seconds.”

She took the bottle to set it aside. “It’s not even warm. His formula has to be heated.”

“There’s so much to this,” Harry exclaimed, entering the room with Teddy’s favorite stuffed owl. Andromeda took the owl and continued trying to soothe the infant. ”I don’t know how you do this all day, every day. I’m not sure Ginny and I will ever be ready for it.”

A smile came to Andromeda’s face as Teddy’s shrieks settled to whimpers. With his little hand, he reached towards the owl, closing his tiny fingers around the beak. For the moment, he was happy. There was peace in the house. Only a few weeks ago, silence seemed to taunt her. Now, she found herself longing for it.

Glancing at Harry, she felt some of her impatience towards him evaporate. She hadn’t been fair with him. He and Ginny were kids. They weren’t ready to take care of a child. They were trying to step up because of how much they loved Teddy’s parents. She should’ve been grateful for their help, no matter how unhelpful it usually was.

“You’ll be ready,” she told him, her voice sounding soft and friendly again, “or as ready as anyone. Raising children isn’t easy, but it’s very rewarding. And look at it this way, you’re already learning what to do with Teddy. You and Ginny will make wonderful parents when the time comes.”

Harry smiled, and draped his arm around Ginny’s shoulders. Since the war had ended, their relationship had been moving quickly. They were making up for all the time they’d lost living in fear. Andromeda was happy for them, but she was jealous too. The war was over and their love continued to grow. Her husband was gone.

“Thanks,” Harry said. “I know we’re not that helpful. We really don’t know what we’re doing. It’s just, Remus and T”Dora made Teddy my godson. I love him. I want to do anything I can for him”and you.”

“Thank you,” she replied. “I really do appreciate it. I know they would’ve wanted you here”wanted you to be a part of his life. I’m glad he has both of you.”

The room settled in silence. Everyone was exhausted. Teddy had fallen asleep in Andromeda’s arms, and she rested her head against the chair, closing her eyes. Ginny cuddled in Harry’s arms. There was no need to talk anymore. They were all enjoying the peace Teddy was finally allowing them to have.

Andromeda had begun to doze when Ginny’s voice woke her.

“We should go,” she said to Harry. She was nearly whispering, trying not to wake Andromeda, but it was a lost cause. The sound of needle dropping would’ve woken her. She was always listening for sounds of danger, scared someone was coming to hurt her grandson. The war was over, but it would be a long time before the fear would be over. “You know Mom wants everyone home for dinner. She can’t stand that Fred’s not there. She needs the rest of us.”

Opening her eyes, Andromeda saw tears welling in Ginny’s eyes. The loss of her brother had hit her hard, but she was still going. She was being strong. Andromeda often thought the child had more strength than she did.

Harry nodded.

“Andromeda,” he said carefully, not realizing that she was already awake.

“It’s okay,” she said. “Go be with Molly. I can take care of things here.”

“We’ll come back tonight,” Harry offered. “See how he’s doing. Maybe we can bring him a new toy”something to keep him occupied. It might make him cry less.”

“You don’t have to come back tonight,” she insisted. “I really do appreciate the help, but the Weasley’s need you, too. I can take care of Teddy. And he doesn’t need more toys. I don’t want to spoil him.”

“Are you sure you don’t want us to come back?” Ginny asked.

“We’ll be fine,” Andromeda replied, looking at her sleeping grandson. At that moment, she even believed her own words.

“Okay,” Harry agreed, somewhat reluctantly. “The Weasleys probably do want to see more of their daughter. We’ll be back in the morning though.”

“Of course,” Andromeda replied, almost laughing. She knew they wouldn’t stay away long. “Have a good evening. Tell the others I said hello.”

A few seconds later, Harry and Ginny disappeared through her fireplace in flurry of green flames. The sound of the departure caused Teddy to move in her arms. Rolling over, his owl fell to the floor. He opened his mouth and began to wail again.

She grabbed the owl from the floor, but it didn’t help. Teddy showed no interest in it. Instead, he simply continued to bawl. His hair flashed between red and blue. Again, she didn’t know what to do for him.

She felt like crying. She was terrible at this. She was too old to be a mother again. Her instincts had dried up. Dora would know what to do. Teddy was her son, and she was the one who could care for him. But Dora was gone.

Using her wand to heat the discarded bottle, she tried to feed him. He pulled his head away from the bottle, wailing even louder. In her arms, he began to squirm and kick.

She checked his diaper. She checked his temperature. Nothing.

Finally, she took him to his crib wondering if he simply wanted out of her arms. That didn’t help either. He continued kicking the air and screaming. She was starting to worry that he’d damage his vocal cords.

Unable to do anything for him, she collapsed on the sofa and sobbed herself. What was she doing? She couldn’t do this. Teddy needed her and she was failing him. Dora trusted her with Teddy and she was messing it up. She couldn’t even get him to stop crying. The child probably would’ve been better off in an orphanage than with her.

The house was filled with the sounds of sorrow. Her own sobs becoming as loud as Teddy’s. It was a wonder she could even hear the knock at the door.

At first she considered ignoring it. Harry and Ginny were at the Weasleys. Who else would be visiting her? Dora’s friends had stopped dropping by to pay their respects. She was alone. Alone with a sobbing infant.

Finally, she decided to answer it, swiping away her tears. She didn’t even care who it was. Any company would be welcome. Maybe it was someone who could help with Teddy.

When she opened the door she saw Kingsley standing there once again. Soon he’d be stopping by as often as Harry, but she felt no annoyance. Seeing him standing there, so calm and kind, she wanted to throw her arms around him. He was truly becoming her savior.

“Are you all right?” he asked. A look of concern crossed his face.

“No,” she admitted, in no mood to save face. “I can’t do anything right. I’m a disaster. Dora should’ve never left Teddy with me. I can’t even get him to stop crying.” Fresh tears poured down her cheeks and she didn’t bother to brush them away.

“It’s all right,” he told her, pulling her into a hug. “You’re not a disaster. Babies cry. They cry a lot. We can’t always make them stop. And think about poor Teddy. I’m sure he’s still confused. He could be crying for one of his parents.”

He held her until she settled. His embrace had a comforting affect. She relaxed against his chest and cried until there was nothing left in her. It felt good”like she’d finally let it out.

When she stopped Teddy was still crying.

Stepping back, she wiped her eyes. “I just wish I could help him.”

“I’d be happy to try,” Kingsley offered.

She ushered him inside. If there was another person Dora would’ve trusted with Teddy’s upbringing, it would’ve been Kingsley. He was her partner. She’d trusted him with her life. Maybe her son would sense some of that.

Kingsley stepped into the house with an air of familiarity, even though he’d only been there a few times. He was completely comfortable in her home”with her. She liked that. She couldn’t explain why, but it made her feel better”assured somehow.

The crib was settled in the middle of the living room. She left it there during the daytime and moved it upstairs at night. She always kept Teddy as close to her as possible.

Approaching the crib, Kingsley smiled despite the horrible shrieks coming from Teddy. He picked the baby up, and rocked him softly. He didn’t even have to speak. Teddy relaxed in his arms. He stopped screaming. His hair turned to soft yellow. Within a few seconds he was asleep.

Maybe her grandson felt as safe in Kingsley’s arms as she did.

“Thank you,” she whispered as Kingsley lowered the sleeping infant back into the crib. “You must have the magical touch.”

“Glad I could help,” he replied.

“How about I make you dinner,” she offered, afraid he might leave. She wanted him to stay. His presence had a calming affect on both her and Teddy. “Nothing special. I wouldn’t want to wake him banging around in the kitchen. But I’d love to have your company.”

“Sure,” he replied, smiling widely. “That sounds great.”