Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Turning the Page by Sly Severus

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kingsley was true to his word. Every day he would arrive with flowers and gifts. Most days he would spend a few minutes with Teddy, but he never pressured her for anything more. He was simply waiting in the wings. Hoping that one day, she’d be able to love him.

She knew it was the last thing he wanted, but his persistence was really making her feel guilty. He was putting so much effort into being with her, and she doubted they could ever have a relationship. She hated to see him waste his time and get his hopes up.

More than anything, she wanted him to be right. One morning, she wanted to wake up and realize that it was okay for them to be together, but she didn’t think it would ever happen. She loved Ted so much. To be with another man was just wrong. She couldn’t do that to him.

After Kingsley left for the day, she sat on the sofa, cuddling her grandson. She was amazed by how quickly he was growing. Soon he’d be walking and too big for her lap. She hated the idea of him growing up and going out into the scary world. What if he was like his parents? A warrior, with no sense of self-preservation. What if she lost him, too?

Teddy snoozed in her lap, clinging to the new toy wand Kingsley had given him that day. The child really was spoiled. Forever receiving gifts from Kingsley and Harry. She rarely ever had to buy him anything.

Of course, there was one thing she could give him. A real father figure. Kingsley loved her. He loved Teddy. He could be a really good influence on her grandson if only she could let him in.

Her thoughts turned towards Ted. She smiled. He’d always been so loving and carefree. If he was alive, he’d like Kingsley, want him around. The two men probably would’ve been good friends.

Ted loved her; she never doubted that. Even though he wasn’t there, he’d want her to be happy, but did that really mean with another man? Was there anyway that he could ever accept her being with Kingsley? How could she ever know?

A knock on the door broke through her thoughts. Raising her head, she felt too lazy to move. It seemed like every time she had a few minutes to just cuddle with Teddy someone would interrupt them. Maybe she just needed some time with her grandson and her thoughts.

The knocking persisted.

Sighing, she returned Teddy to his crib. He groaned in protest and she wanted to join him.

As she pulled the door open, she was surprised to see Harry. He’d given up on knocking weeks ago. Normally, he’d just appear in her fireplace, usually laden down with new toys for the baby.

“We’re out of Floo powder,” he muttered, stepping inside. “You look tired. Did I interrupt something?”

“I was just spending some time with Teddy,” she replied. She no longer felt overly annoyed. Harry had really started to grow on her. His love for Teddy was just so obvious. “Come on, in. He always loves to see you.”

Harry was at the crib before she even realized he’d moved. He really was getting attached to her grandson.

Suddenly, she realized there was something she needed to do. Something she’d been putting off, but maybe this was the time. She’d been thinking about it for so long, but she didn’t want to take Teddy with her. This was the perfect time. Besides, it would give Harry a real treat”some alone time with Teddy.

“Harry, can you stay for awhile?” she asked, loitering in the doorway.

“Sure,” he replied, not even taking his eyes off Teddy. “I’ve got nothing planned for the rest of the day. What’s up?”

“I just have an errand to run,” she said, hoping her voice remained steady. She didn’t want to explain herself. “Could you stay with Teddy until I get back?” She considered adding that she wouldn’t be long, but Harry didn’t care about that. He’d have happily stayed with his godson for hours.

“Of course,” he replied, still engrossed with Teddy. “I’d love to.”

“Have fun,” she told them, and rushed towards the door. She had to move quickly, before she lost her nerve. She’d been putting this off for so long. It was time to just do it.

Stepping out of the house, she Apparated to the cemetery, not allowing herself to think about what she was doing.

When she opened her eyes she was surrounded by grey stones, sticking out of the ground, like hands trying to climb out of the dirt. The grass was unnaturally green, kept that way by a spell. Everyone wanted their loved ones final resting place to be perfect.

Andromeda stepped around stones marking the lives of strangers. She knew where she was going. She hadn’t returned to this place since her daughter had been laid to rest beside her father. It was hard to return. Her stomach tightened as she approached the spot where her family would spend eternity.

She went directly to her husband’s stone, kneeling beside it. Her fingers lightly tracing over his name as tears came to her eyes. She fell to the ground, allowing her sobs to come”uncontrolled. She was finally alone. Free to really let her pain go.

For a long time, she just cried. It felt good”like a release. Finally, she wiped her eyes and sat up straight. She needed to cry, but that wasn’t the reason she came to her husband. She came to say goodbye.

“Ted,” she began, her voice breaking. “I’m sorry it took me so long to get here. Things have been so busy. Little Teddy is really a handful. I’m sorry you never got to meet him. You would’ve loved him. He’s so much like Dora.”

She took a deep breath.

“I miss you. You must know that. But there’s something I need to say. You probably already know what happened with Kingsley. I’m sorry. I never meant to let you down. You’ll always be in my heart. I hope that wherever you are you don’t hate me.”

The wind picked up. Her hair flew wildly behind her. She closed her eyes, waiting for the gust to pass. When she opened them a single red rose lay on the ground in front of her.

She gasped. That was exactly what Ted had given her the first time she’d begged for his forgiveness. They were still children at the time. She’d been foolish. Told her family she wasn’t seeing anyone when he’d been close enough to hear the words. She never expected him to forgive her. He’d never been mad at all. Ted always seemed to understand her.

Tears spilled down her cheeks. Ted had forgiven her. Somehow, even in death, he could reach out to her, making her feel better.

The wind picked up again, but only slightly. A breeze went past her ear, and she could hear his voice.

“Be happy,” he told her. “Be with him. I’ll always love you.”

More tears streamed down her face as she realized the magnitude of Ted’s gift.