Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Finally Home by Weasley Mom

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: All of the characters in this story are from the wonderful mind of Ms. Rowling.

Harry felt gentle hands cradling his head as he gained enough control over his tortured body to tell them what he saw. He felt something cool being placed on his forehead and the pain gradually lessened enough for him to open his eyes. He saw the concerned and frightened faces of his friends gathered around him.

"What did you see Harry?" Professor Dumbledore's soothing voice asked.

"The Dark Mark over Privet Drive. Death Eaters are there Professor. I think..." Harry managed to choke out before another wave of pain hit him and he had to clench his jaws to keep from vomitting again.

"Molly, Fred, George... you take Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny to headquarters. Minerva and Hagrid... you see Mr. Longbottom and Ms. Lovegood home. The rest of you to Arabella Figg's house quickly. Time is of the essence," Dumbledore ordered, his usually kind blue eyes fierce.

"Professor wait!" said Harry as Order members began to apparate with a pop. "I want to go to Privet Drive. They, as horrid as they have always been to me, are all I have left of my Mum."

"Harry, I understand, but you are barely fit to travel let alone face Death Eaters. I cannot let you go," Dumbledore answered firmly.

"But..." Harry began.

"Harry, we'll come back as soon as we have news. I promise. We just can't let you walk into danger like that. You're not ready yet," Remus said soothingly.

"Not ready? I've already faced Death Eaters Remus," said Harry pulling away from the hands which held him and trying to stand as a wave of dizziness threatened to overtake him.

"Be reasonable. You can't even stand," Remus argued.

Harry glared at them for a moment before finally nodding, defeated. "Be careful," he said.

"We will. We'll come tell you as soon as we know something," Remus said. He and the headmaster then apparated with a pop.

"All right children in the house quickly," Mrs. Weasley said, waving her wand to clean up the party mess. "Fred, George... grab Harry's gifts for him."

Ron and Hermione helped Harry into the house with Ginny trailing behind them. Harry's head was still throbbing, so he sat in one of the kitchen chairs and closed his eyes. His thoughts were a chaotic whirl of emotions. He heard Hagrid, Professor McGonnagall, Neville, and Luna bidding him good-bye and offering words of comfort before they flooed home.

"Harry?" said Mrs. Weasley's gentle voice. "Come along dear. Let's get you home."

He looked up then, realizing that the others were already gone. Harry took the pinch of floo powder that Mrs. Weasley offered, cast it in the flames, and cried "Number Twelve Grimmauld Place."

Harry stepped into the fire and after a moments whirling, found himself in Grimmauld Place. He stood there numbly, not knowing what to do now.

"Harry?" he heard Ginny say. He looked woodenly down at her, saw the concern and understanding in her eyes.

"Why Ginny? Why did he have to do this now? Why today?"

"I don't know. I'm sorry," she said. Tears sparkled in her eyes at seeing Harry so lost. She wrapped him in a gentle hug, trying to comfort him.

"C'mon mate," said Ron. "Let's go up to your room and wait for Lupin and Dumbledore to get back."

Harry nodded, following his friends up the stairs to his room. He felt Ginny push him gently down on the couch and realized that he had just been standing there, staring at it. Ginny sat next to him and held his ice cold hand, offering her wordless comfort. Ron and Hermione sat nearby.

"So... you want to play chess or something Harry?" Ron asked. Harry just stared blankly ahead, as if he didn't hear him. The others tried to draw him into conversation as well, but Harry's eyes were lifeless. It was like he wasn't even in the room with them.

"I think he might be in shock Ron," said Hermione as Harry began to shake, as if he were out in the snow with no coat. "We should go get your Mum."

Ron nodded and was standing to go get her, when a quiet knock sounded on the door and Dumbledore and Lupin entered.

Remus and Dumbledore took one look at Harry and knew that something was dreadfully wrong with him. Dumbledore turned quickly to Remus.

"Get in contact with Poppy Pomfrey..." he began.

"No Professor. It's ok. I don't need Madame Pomfrey," Harry said in a dead voice, looking down at the floor.

"Harry are you sure? You've had quite a shock tonight, and with everything you've dealt with lately..."

"I'm fine Professor, really," Harry said.

"Harry," Remus said. "I'm sorry but.."

"I know Remus. I saw it. All of it. He showed me. I saw Peter kill Uncle Vernon and Dudley. I saw Bellatrix torture Aunt Petunia. The bitch was laughing when she did it. She enjoyed it. Voldemort said it was my birthday gift from him."

He heard Ginny struggling to control her tears. He saw Hermione burry her face in Ron's shoulder, as he tried to awkwardly comfort her. Dumbledore regarded Harry with concern in his eyes.

"Harry," Remus said in an agonized whisper, his heart aching for the boy who was like a son to him.

"Your aunt is still alive. Moody and Tonks took her to St. Mungo's," Dumbledore said quietly.

"I want to see her."

"Are you sure you're up to it?" said Dumbledore. At Harry's nod, the headmaster produced a battered teacup from the folds of his robe, quickly transfigured it into a portkey, and held it out to Harry. Harry took hold. He soon felt the familiar tug behind his belly button, and landed with a thud outside St. Mungo's false storefront.

Dumbledore ushered him quickly inside. After a brief whispered conversation with the information witch, Harry and Dumbledore continued on to the spell damage floor. They were met by Moody and a slightly battered looking Tonks. She immediately wrapped Harry in a bone crushing hug.

"Harry, I am so sorry," she said.

"It's ok Tonks. Where is she?" Harry asked. Tonks mutely pointed to a door to her left.

Harry opened the door and walked in. His aunt lay in bed, staring at nothing. Her hair, which Harry had never seen out of place, was sticking out at odd angles from her head. Her eyes were blank and completely empty. It was as though the woman who was Petunia Evans Dursley had died with her husband and son and left her still living body behind. Harry walked quietly over to her and took her hand.

"Aunt Petunia?" he said gently. Much as Harry expected, she did not respond at all. It was as if he had never spoken, as if he wasn't in the room. "Don't worry Aunt Petunia. He won't get away with this."

"Harry?" came Dumbledore's voice from behind him.

"You know Professor, Voldemort made a mistake tonight. He tried to scare me. He tried to hurt me and intimidate me. He wanted me to see that nothing and no one was safe if they associated with me." Harry turned and smiled grimly, his face shrouded in the shadows of the dim room.

"I already knew that though. He taught me that lesson when I was just a baby. He failed to scare me. He failed to intimidate me, and I am already so hurt that a little more doesn't even register. All he succeeded in doing tonight was stripping away the last vestiges of the child I was. All he succeeded in doing was making me more determined."

Harry stepped out from the shadows then. His eyes seemed to burn with strength and an untapped power. His face, though still youthful was hard, no longer that of a child.

"I'm going to kill him Professor. I will not let him rip anyone else's home and family away like he did mine. This has to end."

Harry left then and walked out into the hallway. Dumbledore watched him go, a lone tear trailing down his cheek and getting lost in his beard.

A/N: Whew! Another one down. Hope you liked it. Please make sure to review so I know how I'm doing. Thanks!