Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Finally Home by Weasley Mom

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: All of the characters herein are the property of JK Rowling.

In the days and weeks which followed the attack on Privet Drive, Harry threw himself into both his occlumency and combat lessons with an almost frightening intensity and determination. His occlumency had progressed to the point that neither Lupin, nor Dumbledore could breach his mind's defenses. More than that however, Harry found that he could, briefly, get past their barriers and catch glimpses of their memories As a result, these lessons had been reduced to once a week allowing Harry more time with his friends.

His combat sessions with Moody, Tonks, and Kingsley had taken an interesting turn with the arrival of an owl from the Ministry three days after Harry's birthday. In light of the, "obvious and heinous attacks," on Harry, the Ministry had granted him dispensation from the Decree for the Restriction of Underage Wizardry. This was, the letter read, due to "your undeniable need to be able to protect yourself from the actions of He-who-must-not-be-named and his followers." In short, Harry was now able to use magic out of shcool. Harry had laughed bitterly when he read the letter.

"Incompetent idiots... just now figuring out I'm in danger," he snorted, his eyes flashing.

Despite his scorn of the Ministry however, Harry was happy to be able to incorporate spell work in with the non-magical forms of combat he had been learning. More than once during these lessons Harry had been able to best both of the younger aurors. Tonks had even confessed to Harry that he was able to do things that she hadn't picked up until her second year of auror training.

Between his daily training regiment and the hearty meals served to him by Mrs. Weasley, Harry was hardly recognizable as the skinny, guilt-ridden boy who had left Privet Drive at the start of summer. He had grown a couple of inches, but more than that he had filled out. He now had the sleek, lean lines of an athlete, much like his father before him. As Ginny had noted to Hermione, he even moved differently... more confidently. Yet, his friends were still worried about him.

He went, at least twice a week, to visit his aunt, usually accompanied by Remus. He always came back with haunted eyes and went immediately up to his room. Once there, he locked himself in his room of requirement and could be heard practicing hexes and various fighting techniques while loud, angry sounding muggle rock music blared in the background.

The little free time Harry allowed himself he spent either practicing quidditch or simply laughing and talking with his friends and Ginny. Harry's moodiness of the last year was mostly gone, although his smiles didn't always reach his eyes and he sometimes lapsed into silence. His friends did their best to keep Harry's spirits up, although he seemed to be at his happiest when he was with Ginny.

About a week before term was to start, the four friends were sitting at the table laughing and talking over breakfast with Fred and George. when Lupin walked in smiling and waving mail.

"Hogwarts letters and OWL results just arrived," he said.

"Omigosh!" Hermoine squeaked paling as Lupin handed her letter to her.

"Oh please 'Mione, you know you did well," Ron said taking his letter from Lupin.

"Oh just hurry up and open them," said Ginny trying to look over Harry's shoulder as he stared down at the envelope in his hands.

"Ok...on three," Harry said," one... two... three." They ripped open the envelopes and quickly scanned their letters.

"Yes!" said Harry, grabbing Ginny and twirling her around.

"I take it you did well," she said giggling.

"Yep," said Harry. "Six OWLS, including O's in Defense Against the Dark Arts, Charms, and Potions. Snape has to let me into his NEWT class. I can be an auror Gin."

"Harry that is fabulous! I am so proud of you," she said pecking him on the cheek.

"Congratulations Harry. Your Mum and Dad would be proud," said Remus clapping him on the back.

"Thanks," said Harry turning to Ron and Hermione. "What about you guys? How'd you do?"

"Well, I got five OWLS. I got O's in DADA, Charms, and Care of Magical Creatures. Missed the O in Potions though," Ron said and then grinned. "At least I'm done with Snape."

"Oh Ronald! That is very good, much better then the last OWLS we got," Mrs. Weasley said shooting a significant look at the twins, who grinned unrepentantly back at her.

"Nice job Ronniekins," said Fred, using the nickname Ron hated.

"How bout you?" Harry asked turning to look at a pale and trembling Hermione.

"'Mione?" Ron asked concerned. When she didn't answer, he snatched the letter from her and scanned it. His mouth dropped. "Merlin!"

"What?" said Harry looking over Ron's shoulder. "Is that even possible?"

"What did she get?" Ginny asked, worried for her friend.

"Perfect O's. I got perfect O's," said Hermione her eyes wide. A smile suddenly lit up her face. Ginny squealed and hugged her.

"I am so proud of you children," Mrs Weasley beamed.

"Thanks Mum," said Ron, his ears red.

"Oh, nearly forgot. I have your school letters too," Remus suddenly remembered handing them out.

They opened thier letters, scanning the book lists. Harry saw Ginny grab something and hurriedly stick it in her pocket. Unfortunately for her, the twins saw it too.

"Say it isn't so Ginny," George said, placing his hand dramatically over his heart.

"I really thought that we had raised you better than that. I can't believe you did this to us," Fred added.

"What are you two going on about?" Mrs Weasley demanded in confusion, hands on her hips.

"Our little Ginny has gravely disappointed us and been made prefect," said George accusingly.

Ginny colored brightly as a thrilled Mrs. Weasley hugged her.

"Oh Ginevra! I am so proud of you! Wait until I tell your father. This has been a banner day for the family. Now what do you want Ginny? Percy got an owl and Ron got a broom. What would you like?"

"Well, I can always borow Pig from Ron. I'd really like a new broom Mum," said Ginny. "Can I come with you to pick it out?"

Mrs. Weasley seemed to think about it for a minute. "What do you think Remus? Is it safe?"

"Well, if Moody and Tonks are able to come with us, I think that we'll be ok," said Remus smiling.

Jubilant cries rose from the four at the table, as Remus went in search of Tonks and Moody. As it turned out, they were both available. Once everyone was ready, they flooed to the Leaky Cauldron and were soon stepping out into Diagon Alley.

"So where to first?" Remus asked.

"I'd like to see Fred and George's shop," said Harry.

"Yeah. Great idea mate. There's a few things I'd like to pick up," Ron agreed.

Hermione glared at him. "Ron, you're a prefect. You are supposed to be setting a good example."

"I suppose your right 'Mione," said Ron glumly.

"Still," said Hermione. "I suppose it wouldn't hurt to look."

"Weasley's Wizard Wheezes it is then," said Tonks cheerfully leading the way.

They entered the brightly lit shop to find it filled with Hogwart's students. Harry recognized Seamus Finnegan and Dean Thomas. He also saw Padma and Parvati Patil acroos the store talking with some Ravenclaw girls.

"Hi guys," said Seamus. "How's your summer been?"

"It's been ok Seamus," Harry answered. "Hi Dean."

"Harry," said Dean shortly, shooting Harry and Ginny an odd look. Harry was puzzled until he remembered that Dean and Ginny had dated briefly at the beginning of summer. She had broken it off with him though, when she and Harry had started getting closer.

"So you two hear? Harry has been named quidditch captain," Ron said breaking the awkward silence. The boys discussed quidditch for a few minutes while Hermione, Ginny, and the adults went over to talk to the twins and Lee Jordan. They had just started speculating over who Slytherin's new captain would be when the Patil twins walked over.

"Wow! Harry, Ron you two have certainly umm... grown over the summer," said Parvati a predatory gleam in her eyes.

"Uhhh..." Ron said his ears going red. Luckliy he was saved by the arrival of Ginny and Hermione.

"Yes. They have," said Hermione grabbing Ron's hand possesively and glaring at Parvati.

"You two finally going out then?" Padma asked. At Hermione's nod, she murmured, "Pity."

"So Harry, how are you doing?" Parvati asked laying a hand on his arm. "Did I just hear that you've been named quidditch captain?"

"Yes. You did," Ginny said in a deceptively sweet voice, her eyes shooting daggers at the other girl. "Are you ready to help me pick out my broom now Harry?"

"Yes love," Harry said trying to stifle his laughter as he put his arm around Ginny and ushered her out of the store before she did any damage to Parvati. Ron, Hermione, and the adults followed.

"Those two I swear," Ginny fumed.

"I know," Hermione agreed. "How do you thinkI feel? I have to share a room with Parvati."

"They did rather look like they thought Ron and Harry were food waiting to be devoured," Tonks said giggling.

Ron and Harry couldn't help it. They began laughing.

"What?" Ginny and Hermione snapped.

"Nothing. It's just, I almost felt sorry for Padma and Parvati in there. Remind me never to mess with you two," said Harry.

"I could've told you that mate. The twins didn't stand a chance against our girls," said Ron proudly, causing both girls to blush.

They continued on through Diagon Alley. After a brief stop at Gringott's, they made their way to Flourish and Blott's and picked up their books. Ginny, Ron, Mrs. Weasley, and Moody practically had to drag Hermione from the book store so that they could go replenish their potions supplies. Harry, Remus, and Tonks meanwhile went to Madam Malkin's as none of Harry's school robes would even come close to fitting him.

After Harry and Tonks convinced Remus to buy some new robes for himself, they met the others in Quality Quidditch supplies. Much to Ginny's delight, a new line of Nimbus brooms was coming out, so the price of the Nimbus 2000 had been reduced enough for Ginny to get one. Harry insisted on buying her a broom care kit, despite her protestations that it was too expensive.

As they stepped from the dim store interior into the bright light of Diagon Alley, Harry heard it. A series of pops sounded as black robed figures apparated into the busy street. Chaos reigned almost instantly as people began running and screaming in terror.

"Mrs. Weasley, take Ron, Hermione, and Ginny back into the store. Get them back to headquarters," Harry barked his eyes flashing. The laughing boy from earlier in the day was gone now. Harry the warrior had taken his place.

"You should go too Harry," Remus said.

"Look, we don't have time to argue this. I'm not going. I have to help protect these people. Mrs Weasley I said go!" Harry shouted at a shocked Molly Weasley.

"But..." Ginny protested.

"I'll be fine. This is literally the reason I was born... to fight them. Standing here arguing is just going to get everyone killed. " Mrs. Weasley finally turned and ushered Harry's three protesting friends back into the store.

"Let's go," said Harry, wand drawn. He, Remus, Moody, and Tonks turned to face the group of death eaters bearing down on them.

Tonks quickly stunned and disarmed the first death eater, and then began shooting hexes at a second. Moody had a third pinned down behind some barrels in front of the apothocary. Jets of red light shot back and forth across the street between the two. Remus, meanwhile, had performed a reductor curse which had knocked the death eater he was fighting through a nearby store window. Another was advancing on him however. Harry was doing his best to hold off the three death eaters who were trying to hex him.

"Harry!" Remus hollered, trying to put away the death eater he was fighting and come to Harry's aid. Tonks and Moody, similarly occupied were also trying to make their way to Harry.

"Stupefy!" came twin shouts from further down the street, as Fred and George joined in the fray. Harry saw Fred pull something from his pocket and toss into the group of death eaters. There was a loud explosion, and the remaining death eaters were down.

"Nice! It worked," George cheered happily.

"What exactly was that?" Moody asked, impressed.

"Just a little something we've been developing to help in the war effort," Fred said.

"We call them dark bombs. Perfectly harmless unless you have the dark mark. We... um... tested them on Snape," said a grinning George.

Harry saw a dark cloaked figure moving out of the corner of his eye. The death eater had been out of the bomb's range and was tryng to sneak between two stores. Harry saw the unmistakable glint of silver where one of his hands should have been.

"Pettigrew," Harry snarled and ran after him, Lupin following close behind.

"Antianimaga!" Harry shouted. A bright blue beam of light hit Peter in the back, binding him from transforming. Harry had made sure to learn that spell after third year, and had been waiting to use it ever since. They had Pettigrew trapped now.

"Hello Peter," said Remus.

"Moony... my old friend," Peter said. "And Harry, you look more like James everytime I see you."

"Shut up Pettigrew. You have no right to call him Moony and you profane my dad's name by speaking it. I should've let Sirius kill you back in third year," Harry spat.

"No Harry. Your dad would not have wanted that. He would not have wanted the Marauder's killing each other," Peter stuttered, nervous now.

"You were no more a Marauder then Snivellus. You gave up any claim to that when you betrayed Lily and James. Thanks to you I am the last of the Marauders. You destroyed what was once an invincible friendship," Remus snarled, looking very much like the wolf he sometimes was.

"Then perhaps I should finish the job," said Peter launching himself at Lupin and raking his silver hand across the werewolf's face. Remus cried out in agony as the silver burnt into his skin.

"Stupefy!" Harry shouted, catching Peter in the side, as Tonks and Moody ran into the alley.

"Remmy!" Tonks shouted sinking to the ground beside Lupin.

"I'm ok 'Dora. Thanks to Harry. It burns like hell though," said Lupin as Tonks ran her fingers lightly over the deep gouges on his face. "You need to get Pettigrew back to the Ministry before the binding spell Harry put on him wears off. We can finally clear Sirius' name."

"Right," said Tonks, all business now, despite the blush which stained her cheeks. She and Moody quickly grabbed Peter and dragged him out to where aurors were transporting the other death eaters.

"So, we should probably get you to St. Mungo's to get those scratches healed," said Harry.

"No, Harry. They'll be fine. I'll get Dumbledore to have Madame Pomfrey tend to them," said Remus.

"Whatever you say... Remmy," said Harry grinning as they walked back out into Diagon Alley to return home.

A/N: Thanks for reading. Hope you enjoyed this one. Please review.