Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Finally Home by Weasley Mom

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
****If possible, could Danielle please be the moderator for this chapter. Thank you.****

A/N: All the characters contained herein belong to Ms. Rowling.

Harry lay awake going through the nights events in his head long after Ron had begun to snore. He'd actually met his dad, had a real conversation with him. As great as his joy at this was, the thing that his mind kept coming back to was why no one had ever bothered to tell him that this was possible. There had certainly been more significant reasons for Harry to see and talk to his parents. Why had no one bothered to bring them back before?

Harry sighed and rolled over. He was getting nowhere with this. He realized that the only one likely to give him the answers he needed was Moony. Unfortunately, that would have to wait until morning. Harry vowed to ask the senior Marauder for a moment of his time over breakfast.

Harry smiled, happy despite his worrisome thoughts. He was a Marauder, like his dad before him. Harry thought back to all of the stories he'd heard from Remus and Sirius about their school days and the pranks they had played with his dad. It was with these happy thoughts in his head, that Harry was finally able to drift off to sleep.

Harry and Ron strolled into breakfast later than normal the next moring, looking sleepy and even more tousle-haired than usual.

"There you boys are. I was starting to think I was going to have to come wake you," said Mrs. Weasley.

"Morning Mum," Ron yawned as he helped himself to some toast and bacon.

"Where is everyone this moring Mrs. Weasley?" Harry asked, thinking the kitchen's emptiness odd. They weren't that late for breakfast after all.

"Well, the twins are having a big back to school sale so they went in early. They took Ginny with them to help. I believe Hermione is in the library going through her books again, and Remus has not come down yet. Tonks went to check on him I think," said Mrs. Weasley.

Harry frowned. It was not like Remus to sleep in like this, except after the full moon. Usually he was the first one up in the morning. He had told Harry once that he enjoyed the quiet time around dawn. Remus rarely missed it. Then again, they had been up late the night before. Harry quickly finished his meal, his thoughts still on his guardian.

"I think I'm going to check on Remus. You coming Ron?" Harry asked when he was done.

"Ummm... I was thinking I might go see if Hermione needs any help in the library," Ron mumbled, his ears going red. Harry grinned. Ron and Hermione had been diligently "going through books" all sumer. Harry privately suspected that most of Ron's enthusiasm for the job stemmed from the fact that they'd spent very little time actually going through books.

"Allright then, I'll see you later," said Harry and headed for Lupin's room. As he approached it, however, he heard raised voices.

"Dammit Remmy, I know there is something going on here! You didn't come to bed until almost 1:30 last night. You slept clear through breakfast, despite my best efforts to wake you, and frankly, you look like hell. Now what is going on?" said a voice Harry recognized immediately as Nymphadora Tonks.

"'Dora calm down. I'm ok, really. I'm just very tired. I was up late last night talking to Harry, and tonights the full moon so yes, I'm sure I do look like hell. I'll probably look even worse tomorrow," said Remus a hint of exasperation in his normally calm voice.

"Nice try. I've seen you before and after the full moon. There is something else going on here. I know it. What is it?" Tonks shouted angrily. She was met with silence.

Harry had just decided that perhaps, as interesting as the conversation was proving to be, he should probably leave when Tonks came storming out of the bedroom. Her hair was black today and her eyes a silvery grey. Harry had never realized how much she resembled Sirius before, although he supposed it made sense as they were cousins.

"Morning Harry. Here to see Remus?" Tonks said doing her best not to snap at Harry.

"Yeah. I was worried when he didn't come down to breakfast," Harry said somewhat nervously. Tonks in a temper was a sight to behold.

"Well good luck. He's a stubborn, pigheaded, git of a man, but maybe he'll tell you what is wrong. He's obviously not well, but will he admit it? No, of course not. Sometimes I wonder why I bother," she said crossing her arms over her chest in a huff.

"Uhhh... " said Harry having no idea what he should say to that and feeling truly uncomfortable now. Tonks seemed to sense this and soften a bit.

"I'm sorry Harry. It's not your fault. I shouldn't be dragging you into this. It's just that... well I really care about him and it's so frustrating when he shuts down like this."

"It's ok Tonks, really. Look, I'll talk to him and see if I can find out what's wrong," said Harry, trying to comfort her.

Tonks smiled then. "Thanks Harry. Will you tell him I'll see him after work? I'm probably late as it is." Harry nodded and Tonks headed down the hall. Harry raised his hand and knocked quietly on the door.

"Dammit Dora! I told you I'm fi-" began Lupin as he yanked open the door. "Oh... Harry. I wasn't expecting you."

"Obviously," said Harry grinning. "Tonks asked me to let you know she'd see you afer work."

"Right," said Remus blushing slightly now. Looking at him, Harry realized that Tonks was right. Remus Lupin looked like hell. He was deathly pale and dark smudges of shadow were prominent under his red rimmed eyes. Harry swore that his hair even looked greyer than it had the day before.

"I actually had some things I wanted to talk to you about too Moony, but, well, Tonks is right. You look awful," said Harry.

"Gee... thanks," said Lupin dryly. "C'mon in Harry. I'm too keyed up to sleep right now anyway."

Lupin opened the door wider and Harry stepped in. Harry had never been in Remus' room before. It was he reflected, very like the man, slightly shabby but infinately welcoming. Dark, chocolate colored blankets were rumpled on the large bed. A thick rug, that looked like it might have been slightly chewed on, lay before the cheerful fire in the stone fireplace. Books were placed in neat stacks around the room. The empty grindelow tank, which Harry recognized from third year, stood in one corner, and an antique muggle phonograph sat on a low table next to the bed. Two comfortable looking chairs sat on either side of the rug, facing the fire. Lupin sat in one and motioned for Harry to take the other.

"Now... You wanted to talk to me?" Lupin asked.

Harry looked down and composed his thoughts. "I wanted to talk to you about last night, about my dad and Sirius."

Lupin smiled sadly. "I wondered how long it would take. Frankly, I was suprised you didn't demand an explanation then."

"Well, it is a little shocking when your dead father and godfather just pop in to say Hi," said Harry, a small grin playing about the corner of his mouth.

"Yes. I suppose it would be at that."

"Moony, how come no one ever did that before? If this was possible, why haven't I been able to see them before now?" said Harry.

Lupin sighed. "There are several reasons actually Harry. First of all, what I did is not, strictly speaking legal. Honestly though, I don't think that would stop many of those who care about you from doing that spell."

"Ok, if it's not that, what then?" Harry asked.

"That spell is very old magic. James, Sirius, and I found it back during the first war, about the time your parents went into hiding actually. As with most of the old magics, it is extemely powerful. Unfortunately it can have some very nasty side effects," Lupin murmured.

"Side effects?" Harry asked, alarmed now.

Remus nodded. "Yes Harry. If the spirit the caster is attempting to bring back is unwilling, there's a chance that the caster could die. I knew James and Sirius were willing though, so I wasn't concerned about that. No, the danger for me was a different one."

Harry looked very worriedly at his guardian. "Does this have anything to do with why you look so horrible today?"

"I'm afraid so. In order to give your dad and Sirius' spirits form, I had to contribute a little of my own life force. That's why I'm so exhausted today. I aged literally five or ten years in one night."

"What!" Harry yelled. "Moony what the hell wer you thinking?"

"I had promised your dad Harry. Sirius and I both had actually," Lupin said.

"Promised him what? That you'd practically kill yourself to bring them back?"

"No Harry. That we'd mak sure, no matter what it took, Prongs got to see you become a Marauder," Lupin said quietly.

"Didn't he realize what he was asking of you?" Harry raged.

"Harry, you have to understand. You and Lily were the center of James' world. There was so much that he wanted to show you, so many things he wanted to be there for. Just before you all went into hiding, he met with Sirius and I. It was like he knew he was not going to live to do all that he wanted to with you. He was desperate almost. This was the one thing he couldn't miss. James had to share this one moment with you. We told him he was being stupid, he was going to be fine. He was James Potter after all. He was practically invincible. In the end though, we couldn't refuse him. It was the last time I saw him alive Harry." Tears trickled slowly down Remus' face.

"When I finally met you again, Sirius had just escaped, and I thought it best to wait until he was recaptured. Once I found out Sirius was innocent, we discussed it. We decided to initiate you as soon as Peter was captured and Sirius was free. We thought it would be a celebration of sorts. When Sirius died, I knew it was up to me, only now, I would bring them both back. I knew it was dangerous, stupid, and illegal. I didn't care. I'd made a promise to my brothers, and after all they had gone through for me, I was not lettig them down."

Harry looked at Remus then, seeing not his worn features and greying hair, but the man his dad had called brother. Tears filled Harry's eyes, but he held them back. He was so tired of the tears. He was determined to find some hapiness, and if anyone deserved it, it was Moony.

"Thank you Moony," said Harry, "from my dad, Sirius, and me."

Lupin smiled tiredly. His eyes strayed toward the bed, where the toe of one of Tonks' shoes was peeping out.

"You know," said Harry noticing the shoe. "Tonks really cares about you. She was so worried this morning that she was yelling. I've never heard her yell before."

Lupin smiled again. "She was a little worked up wasn't she? I don't know what the hell I'm going to do about her. She's entirely too young, exciting and beautiful for a worn out, stubborn, old wolf like me. Yet..." He trailed off, a faraway expression on his face that semed to almost strip away the years.

"Do you love her Moony?" Harry asked.

Remus blinked, shocked. "Well I... Merlin. I think I do. I must be crazy to even be thinking about this."

"Remus, let yourself be happy. If you love her, tell her. Love is about the only certain thing in the world right now," Harry said with quiet conviction.

"How did you get so smart all of sudden?" Moony asked.

"Dunno, must've inherited it from my dad and his brothers," Harry grinned.

"Oh ho! Now that you inherited from Sirius. He was always the one to get us out of trouble with lines like that," Lupin said. "He could even work McGonnagall. It was amazing."

Harry laughed. He personally had a hard time seeing anyone getting over on McGonnagall.

"Remmy have you seen my... Oh Harry I um... didn't think you'd still be here and ... I uh...lost my shoes," said a blushing and barefoot Tonks, who had just burst into the room. Harry grinned widely, which caused Tonks to look even more flustered.

"They're under the bed," he said pointing. Tonks blushed even more. Harry was beginning to wonder if she was related to the Weasleys.

Remus chuckled. "It's ok love. Young Mr. Potter here has found us out. He is entirely too smart for his own good, and I'm beginning to think that he is channeling James' and Sirius."

"Oh," said Tonks nervously. "Harry, I...we..."

Harry grinned. "It's ok Tonks. I approve. I think I'm just going to go find Ron and Hermione now. They're probably still 'looking through books'."

Harry started to head out of the room. Turning around just before leaving he silently mouthed "Tell her you love her!" behind Tonks' back. Lupin sent him an amused look and shoo'd him out the door. Harry grinned as he went in search of Ron and Hermione. He was sure, wherever his dad and Sirius were, they were quite pleased with the days events.


This one was for all of you who told me how much you enjoyed Lupin and Tonks. Hope yu liked it. Please review.