Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Finally Home by Weasley Mom

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: All the characters contained herein belong soley to Ms. Rowling.

Harry was still smiling to himself when he entered the library a short time later to the sight of Ron and Hermione sorting books.

"Ronald Billius Weasley! What exactly are you doing?" Harry asked in his best Mrs. Weasley voice. Ron and Hermione sprang apart with looks of panic upon their faces, only to see a grinning Harry.

"Bloody hell mate! Are you trying to give me a heart attack?" said Ron.

"That wasn't funny Harry," said Hermione in her most prim prefect voice, which was very much at odds with her highly mussed appearance. Harry couldn't help it, he laughed. Hermione glared at him and, seizing a nearby book, threw it at him. Much to Ron's delight, the book struck Harry squarely in the head.

"Nice aim love. Ever thought of trying out for chaser?" Ron grinned.

"Ow! Hermione, I've already got one scar on my head. I really do not need another," Harry said wincing.

Hermione was immediately contrite. "I'm sorry Harry, but really that was not nice at all. I didn't damage the book did I?"

"I'm fine. Thanks for asking," Harry said rubbing his head. He bent down to pick up the book, when its title caught his eye, Bringing Out the Animal in You: The Animagus Handbook by Professor James Peresi.

"Hermione, do you care if I borrow this book?" Harry asked trying to sound casual.

"Of course not Harry. Which one is it?" Hermione asked.

"Oh ummm... it's about transfiguration. I thought it might help me this year," Harry said slipping the book in his pocket before she saw exactly which transfiguration book it was. Harry was fairly certain she would not aprove.

Luckily for him, Hermione was once again being distracted by Ron. Harry grinned at his two best friends. This was, he supposed better than their constant fighting.

"Allright then," said Harry. "I'm just going to go find Malfoy and get him to teach me to tango."

"Ok mate," said Ron, gazing dreamily at Hermione.

"Have fun," Hermione murmured, looking up at Ron through her eyelashes.

Harry rolled his eyes and decided Mrs. Weasley had to be slipping a love potion into the food with all the romance he'd encountered this morning. He left the library and headed for his room. If he wasn't interrupted, he should have just enough time before his afternoon lessons to get a decent start on the book he had found.

Harry settled on his bed and began to read, bracing himself for what he was sure would be the typical boring text. Much to his suprise however, he quickly realized this was NOT your average instructional manual. The book certainly gave a very clear, precise explanation of how to become an animagus, happily though, it was interspersed with a wry sense of humor which made it a very easy read. Harry was quickly absorbed.

Before he knew it, Moody, Tonks, and Kingsley were knocking on his door and asking if he was ready for his daily lessons. Harry grinned. This was, without a doubt, his favorite part of the day. It was this training which allowed Harry to work out so much of his grief and anger, especially after a visit with Aunt Petunia. It also helped him to feel like he was doing something, and not just waiting around for Voldemort to make his next move.

These lessons always seemed to go very quickly for Harry, and today was no exception. Before he knew it, the afternoon had passed by. Today they were working on various battle scenarios where Harry would be outnumbered and alone. Harry had just executed a brilliant sweepkick on Tonks, knocking her down and taking her wand. Almost simultaneously, he cast the impediment jinx on Kingsley, sending him to the ground as well. He quickly sprang to his feet, wand held low, when he heard applause from the doorway.

"That was brilliant Harry," said Ginny enthusiastically.

"Thanks Gin," said Harry smiling and turning towards her. In his distraction, Harry had forgotten about Moody.

"Impedimenta!" Moody growled. Harry dove to the floor just in time. Rolling, he managed to cast his own spell which Moody easly blocked. Soon jinxes were flying through the air between the old auror and Harry at an alarming pace. Finally, after about twenty minutes of this, Harry managed to land a disarming spell, followed rapidly by an impediment jinx.

"Shame on you Ms. Weasley, distracting me like that," said Harry flush with victory. His chest was heaving from exertion, and he was covered in sweat, but he had thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. Tossing a amused Tonks her wand, he walked over to Ginny and swept her into a deep dip. He then placed a light kiss on her lips.

"Urgh! You're all sweaty," said Ginny, her nose crinkling.

"Oh fine. Here I am, the knight in shining armor, fresh from the field of battle, and what does my lady fair say? Urgh you're all sweaty," Hary sighed dramatically as Ginny giggled.

"You can't afford to get distracted like that in battle Potter," Moody growled, once he had been freed of the impediment jinx by Tonks.

"Yes sir. It won't happen again," said Harry, being used to Moody's concerns by now.

"See that it doesn't. This is war boy. Distraction like that can cost people their lives," said the grizzled old auror. Harry heard Ginny's gasp at Moody's words and looked down at her. He was startled to see the very real fear and worry in her eyes.

"That's enough Professor," Harry snapped, his anger flaring as it hadn't in a long while. He could not stand to see Ginny like this. "I think I understand better than anyone here exactly what is at stake, it's my life after all. I've dealt with being in danger since I was born, and I know not to let myself lose concentration in real battle."

"I don't think you do understand Harry," Moody snapped back. "It's not just battle you need to worry about. Constant vigilence Potter. You, above all else, need to never let your guard down. You aren't safe anywhere. You could just as easily be attacked by someone you consider a friend as you could by a known enemy."

"It was a mistake Alastor. One we can trust Harry to never make again," Kingsley rumbled.

"He's right Moody. Harry learns from his mistakes," Tonks agreed. "C'mon. The Order meeting is starting early tonight because of the full moon. We should go." Tonks shot a significant look at Kingsley who ushered a glowering Moody out of the room.

"Sorry 'bout that Harry. He's the best at what he does, but the man is beyond paranoid. Try not to pay any attention to what he said Ginny. Harry is better than most aurors I know. He'll be fine," said Tonks before she too departed.

Harry nodded, only half listening, his attention focused on a stricken looking Ginny.

"Gin?" Harry asked gently. "Are you allright?"

Ginny mutely shook her head. Harry wrapped his arms around her. This time she made no protest about his sweaty condition.

"It's ok Ginny. Tonks is right. Moody is fanatical about constant vigilence. Don't let it worry you," said Harry soothingly as he gently rubbed her back.

"Don't let it worry me? How am I supposed to do that Harry? You can't afford distractions and look what I just did," said Ginny.

"It was just practice. It wasn't real, so I allowed myself to be distracted. I wouldn't do that when it was serious. Why do you think the first thing I did in Diagon Alley was to get you, Ron, and Hermione out? It was just as much for me as it was for you," Harry said.

"Harry, I don't think I could take it if something happened to you. I love you," she almost whispered.

"You what?" Harry said pulling back. He knew how he felt about Ginny, but they had never actually said the words.

"I love you Harry Potter," she said blushing. "I understand if you don't feel the same, but I had to make sure you knew. When Moody was saying all that about you... dying, all I could think was that I'd never told you. I've loved you forever Harry."

Harry's smile lit up his whole face. "I love you too Ginevra Weasley, and I always will. I don't know when I started, but all that matters now is you," Harry said tenderly.

Ginny let out a tiny gasp. She'd never allowed herself to hope that she'd hear those words from Harry, and yet, she just had. Without either of them realizing it, the gap between them closed and Harry was gently and sweetly kissing her.

A quiet cough from the doorway broke them apart. A grinning Ron and misty-eyed Hermione were standing there.

"That was beautiful," said Hermione sniffling.

"You saw that?" said a now rosy cheeked Harry. He grimaced inwardly, wondering how Ron and Hermione always seemed to show up at times like these.

"Yeah mate. We did. Kind of made me glad I let you date my sister," said Ron.

"Let him date me? Like you could've stopped us Ron," said Ginny glaring playfully at her older brother. She was just too happy right now to be angry.

"Oh my gosh. I completely forgot the reason we came up here," said Hermione excitedly, lightly smacking herself in the forehead. "There's an Order meeting going on downstairs and Dumbledore asked us to have you join them Harry."

"They what? Why?" Harry asked startled. He'd been under the impression that he would be unable to join the Order until he was of age.

Ron shrugged. "They want you down there. We couldn't get them to tell us anymore than that."

"Then I guess I'd better go find out," said Harry. He quickly pecked Ginny on the lips and headed downstairs to meet with the Order.

A/N: Hope you liked that one. Thanks for reading, and please review.