Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Finally Home by Weasley Mom

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
**** I would like Danielle to be the moderator for this chapter please.****

A/N: All of the characters contained herein are the property of Jo Rowing.

With some trepidation, Harry headed for the room where tonight's Order meeting was being held. He was met at the door by Dumbledore, a very pale, sickly Remus, and a still angry looking Moody.

"You wanted to see me Professor?" Harry asked, somewhat nervous sounding. He sincerely hoped that he was not going to get in trouble for yelling at Moody earlier.

"Yes Harry. How are you this evening?" Dumbledore inquired, his blue eyes twinkling over the tops of his half moon glasses.

"Umm...fine," said Harry. He looked at Remus, trying to catch his guardian's eyes in the hopes that he'd get some clue about what was happening.

"Harry, as I'm sure you are aware, the Order, as a rule does not allow anyone to join who is not both of age and out of school," said Dumbledore. At Harry's nod of confirmation, he continued. "Circumstances do change however, and your particular circumstances are very unique. You were put up for vote earlier tonight. We'd like to induct you into the Order, if you are willing.

Harry's initial inclination was to immediately accept. Had this been the beginning of the summer, he would have. He had changed quite a bit since leaving Privet Drive, though. He had grown, matured, and learned to control his emotions much more tightly. He forced himself to stop and ponder the implications of this sudden invitation. There was obviously something they weren't telling him.

"I'd be honored to join the Order Professor. First, however, I'd like to know what is really going on," said Harry. He saw Remus send Dumbledore an I told you so look. Harry smiled to himself. It was good to have someone on his side.

"I'm really not trying to keep anything from you Harry. I would just prefer to wait until after we have made you a member to tell you more," Dumbledore said quietly.

Harry's green eyes hardened slightly. "Professor, I believe we have had this discussion before. I do not like secrets. If I am going to join the Order, I should like to go into it fully and completely aware of what is going on."

Dumbledore looked at Harry for a few seconds, and finally nodded. "Very well Harry. We have received word that Voldemort has begun recruiting death eaters from amongst the students who will, shortly, be returning to Hogwarts."

Harry raised an eyebrow. This was hardly earth shattering news to him. He could probably compile a list of who Voldemort had recruited without even putting much thought into it. He said as much.

"No offense professor, but this is hardly suprising. Why does this suddenly change everything?"

"Use your head Potter," Moody growled. "We need to keep tabs on these new recruits. We can't exactly have aurors roaming the halls of Hogwarts."

"What about the teachers? There are several in the Order. Surely they could..." Harry began, only to be interrupted by Remus.

"Come now Harry. I think we both know that no one acts the same way towards their teachers as they do their friends. While the staff could pick up on radical changes in behavior, only a peer would pick up on the more subtle signs of corruption. "

Harry considered this and looked appraisingly at Dumbledore, Lupin, and Moody. Reaching a sudden decision, he nodded. "Allright professor. I will join. I assume we have a plan which somehow includes me?"

"Yes Harry. We do. We really should join the rest of the Order now. They're probably wondering what's happened to us," the headmaster said as he opened the door and lead the way in.

Harry looked around the room when he entered. This was apparently to be a full meeting of the Order. In addition to the innner circle, all of whom Harry was very familiar with, there were several other people Harry had only seen on a handful of occassions. Voldemort was, it seemed, not the only one recruiting new members either. Sitting near the back of the room, conversing with the twins, were Angelina Johnson, Lee Jordan, and Oliver Wood. They all waved at Harry, smiling.

Harry hurried to find a seat near Remus and Tonks. Despite his fame, or perhaps because of it, Harry was often uncomfortable with large groups of people. He hated the inevitable stares he receved. Right now he was the center of attention, so all eyes were on him. Thank goodness, Dumbledore began to speak.

"You will all please welcome Mr. Harry Potter to our little group," he began but was interrupted by the enthusiastic cheers of Fred and George.

"Hurrah for Harry! We're no longer the youngest!" When Mrs. Wealey had glared them into silence, Dumbledore continued.

"Now then, we have all heard the report Professor Snape made regarding Voldemorts newest recruits. Harry has also been brought up to speed. What we have not yet discussed though, is how we are going to deal with with this information beyond the induction of Mr. Potter."

"As many of you are aware, last year several students, lead by Harry, formed a defense against the dark arts group. Their purpose was to prepare themselves for their upcoming NEWT's and OWL's in light of the... less than competent teacher that they were forced to endure." Harry heard McGonnagall muttering something about "that foul evil little woman," under her breath.

"The D.A., as they called themsleves, was able to very ingeniously hide their meetings from both Dolores Umbridge and the rest of the staff. Additionally, they excelled. Hogwarts had the highest percentage of defense OWL's and NEWTS it has had since 1977," Dumbledore said with a glance at Lupin.

"You're now probably wondering what this has to do with the problem at hand. It is my proposal that Harry, under the suprvision of Remus and Nymphadora, continue with the D.A. The focus of the group will be slightly different, however. While the group will certainly continue their defense practicing, a hand picked group will do a little more than that. They will act as our eyes and ears at Hogwarts and report anything of note they discover to Harry. Harry will then relay any pertinent information to us at the next meeting or sooner, depending on the nature of the situation."

"Headmaster, surely you don't expect a handful of students to be trusted with something as important as this?" a very familiar voice sneered from behind Harry. Turning he saw the greasy haired, black clad form of Prof. Severus Snape. Harry's eyes hardened and it took all of his control not to snap at the potions' master.

"I think you'd be suprised at what exactly we can handle," Harry said quietly.

"Come now Mr. Potter. You very nearly got a group of your little D.A. friends killed last year with your arrogance, not to mention leading one of our members to his untimely demise. You expect us to willingly trust you with something lke this?" Snape hissed.

Before Harry could react, Moony was on his feet and had whirled, grabbing Snape by the robes. "I suggest Severus that you apologize to Harry. NOW, before I truly lose my temper."

Harry had never seen quiet, gentle Professor Lupin like this. His eyes flashed angrily and his lips were pulled back in an almost wolfish snarl. Tonks had her hand on Remus' arm, restraining him, but she too was glaring at the potions master. Looking around, Harry realized that most of the people were standing and looking as if they could cheerfully strangle Snape right now. Both Mr. Weasley and the twins were holding back a very angry Molly Weasley. Harry decided he needed to do something to diffuse the situation.

"Remus, everyone, please sit down. What he said was true. I did lead some of my frends to the Ministry. I thought someone I cared about was in great danger, but it was all a lie. Death Eaters were there waiting on us, and when members of the Order came, one of them, my godfather, was killed. It was a horrible mistake which I have regretted everyday since. I have learned from that mistake though. I am no longer the child I was then. I know I can do this, if I'm given a second chance," Harry said in a strong calm voice.

"Why Potter? Why should we give you another chance?" Snape sneered.

Harry smiled coldly at the professor. "I've always thought everyone deserves a second chance. Don't you?" Harry asked glancing meaningfully a Snape's forearm, which they both knew bore the mark of a death eater.

"That's enough!" said Dumbledore, his eyes flashing dangerously. "Professor Snape, that was uncalled for. I expected better of you. If no one has any further objections, we are done for the evening."

As no one spoke up, people began to disperse quietly talking about the coming war. Harry looked over to see a pale and unsteady Remus rising to his feet.

"Moony? You allright?" Harry asked moving to help Tonks support Remus.

Lupin smiled weakly, "I'm fine Harry, its just that the moon must be starting to rise. I should probably head down to the cellar now."

"C'mon love. Harry and I will help you down," said Tonks as she slipped herself under Lupin's arm so that she could inconspisciously assist him.

Harry followed the duo to the kitchen, where the cellar door was located. On the way there, Ron came beathlessly up to them.

"There you are, I've been looking all over for you," he said. " I...umm... sort of thought that Harry and I would walk you down Moony. Oh and Mione told me to make sure you got this." Ron handed Lupin a vial of a foul smelling, steaming potion. Harry grimaced as Lupin swallowed the entire contents of the noxious brew.

Remus smiled. "You know, you all don't have to do this. I've been through this a few times before."

"We know. We just want to make sure that you know we're here if you need us. You're not alone Moony," Harry said quietly. Ron nodded in agreement.

"Thank you boys. Padfoot and Prongs chose very well," the sweaty and pale Marauder murmured.

They had arrived at the door to the cellar now. Remus took a key from an inside pocket of his robe. He quickly unlocked the door, and handed Tonks the key. He briefly, but fiercly hugged the two boys, and gently kissed Tonks. Taking a deep breath, he opened the door and then, turned and smiled sadly at them before entering the room and closing the door behind him.

Tonk quietly reached out and locked the door. Harry turned to look out the kitchen window as he heard the sound of the large deadbolt clunking closed.

The moon rose slowly over the neighboring rooftops. As it did, they heard the horrible tortured sounds of Remus. The transformation was starting. Tonks' eyes were filled with tears, knowing she could do nothing to help the man she loved. Harry put a comforting arm around her shoulder.

"He'll be ok Tonks," he said soothingly.

"I know Harry. It's just that he is such a gentle persn, and for him to have to go through this..." she shook her head, unable to continue.

A mournful howl called from behind the door. Harry looked at Ron, catching his eye. A silent communication passed between the two young Marauders. They both knew, like Padfoot and Prongs before them, that they would do whatever it took to insure that Moony no longer went through this alone.

Poor Moony. I hope you enjoyed this one. Thanks for all of the wonderful reviews, please keep them coming. Also, a LONG overdue note. A million thank yous to Danielle for being the most fabulous moderator for this story. Everyone say "Thank you Danielle!"