Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Finally Home by Weasley Mom

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: The usual... Ms. Rowling owns all of the characters.

"Ron! Harry! Wake up boys!" came the harried sounding voice of Molly Weasley from the other side of the door. "You two had better get moving if you don't want to miss the train."

Harry blearily opened one eye thinking that morning had come entirely too early. It was then that Mrs. Weasley's words penetrated his sleepy brain. Today was September 1st. He was returning home to Hogwarts. He sat up with a grin and tossed a pillow at a still sleeping Ron.

"Rise and shine Ronniekins. We've got a busy day ahead of us," said Harry.

Ron mumbled a few words of complaint before rising and stumbling to the room of requirement, which was currently set up as a bathroom, complete with shower. Harry, meanwhile, quickly changed into jeans and a t-shirt as he had showered the night before. He then began check his room to make sure he hadn't forgotten anything. He was just finishing up when a slightly more awake Ron came out of the bathroom.

"Hurry up mate. I want to get some breakfast before your Mum rushes us out the door," said Harry.

"This is going to be a great year, I can just feel it. Much better than the last," said Ron grinning.

"Well I should hope so. Can't get much worse... between Umbridge taking over the school and Voldemort messing with my head. I couldn't take another year like the last," Harry replied.

"You couldn't? How do you think I felt? I had to put up with you," Ron joked.

"You didn't appreciate my sparkling personality last year?" Harry shot back grinning.

Ron snorted. "Not really... no. So... do you have everything packed?" Ron asked, putting a peculiar emphasis on the word everything.

Harry nodded, knowing he was referring to a few extra items donatd by Fred and George. "Yep all packed."

"All right. I'm done," said Ron tossing the last of his books in his trunk before latching it.

The boys grabbed their things and thunked down the stairs where, it seemed, chaos reigned. Harry smiled. He was very glad to see that some things never changed.

"Mummy?" Ginny shouted down the stairs behind them. "Have you seen my sweater? You know, the green one I really like?"

Mrs. Weasley rolled her eyes as she stomped past the grinning boy and up the stairs.

"Honestly Ginny! You really need to keep better track of your things. Why must you children always wait until the morning you're leaving to pack?"

"Sorry Mum," said a thoroughly unrepentant looking Ginny. She winked at Harry before joining her mother in searh of the missing sweater.

Fifteen minutes later, Ginny's sweater had been found, Harry and Ron had eaten, and the four returning students were impatiently awaiting the arrival of Mad-Eye Moody.

"Where is he?" asked an impatient Hermione tossing her bushy hair out of her eyes.

"He had to get the cars from the ministry Hermione. They take forever with stuff like this. Everything has to be signed out in triplicate," said Tonks who was standing with Lupin and Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. Tonks was wearing her hair long and blond today. She had it pulled back in a loose ponytail which made her look not much older then Hermione and Ginny.

Harry looked around him, noticing for the first time the inordinate amount of luggage piled in the hall. Ron must've noticed the same thing beause as the thought hit Harry, his friend spoke.

"Merlin, how many trunks do you girls need? There have to be at least two for each of you here."

"Why do you assume they're ours Ronald? We only have one each," said Hermione indignantly.

"Well then who do those belong to?" said Harry pointing at the extra pile of luggage.

"Those would belong to Professor Tonks and I," said a grinning Remus.

"Professor Tonks and you?" said Harry a smile lighting his face. "Does this mean what I think it does?"

Remus nodded. "Yes Harry. 'Dora and I will be accompanying you to Hogwarts this year, which you would've already known if you had been paying attention the other night instead of fighting with Snape."

"But Professor," said a puzzled Hermione. "There's only one teaching position open isn't there? How can you both be teaching?"

"We're not. I'm teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts. Remus wll be working with Harry and the D.A. on a... special project," Tonks answered.

Harry raised an inquiring eyebrow at Lupin. Remus shook his head and shot Harry a look that clearly said they'd dscuss it later.

"Special project?" Ginny asked, not noticing the exchage between Harry and Lupin. "What special project?"

"I think Moody is here," said Mrs. Weasley from where she'd been peering out the door. She was correct as Moody himself soon entered.

"All right," he said in his usual gruff voice. "We have Ministry cars this year. Potter and young Mr. Weasley will ride with Lupin and me. Granger and Miss Wealey will ride with Tonks, Molly, and Arthur. The twins are meeting us at the station with 'Dung. Everyone ready?"

Before Harry knew it, the luggage had been loaded and Harry was ushered into the waiting car. After a suprisingly quick drive, considering the usual morning traffic, they had arrived at the station. They hurriedly unloaded their things and were soon at the barrier to platform 9 3/4. A grinning Fred and George stood there waiting with a seedy looking 'Dung.

"Platform secure," said Fred saluting Moody smartly.

"This isn't a game boy," Moody growled.

"Yes, we know," said George. "We've been vigilent."

"Constantly," added Fred solemnly, although his eyes were still full of mischief. 'Dung snorted, earning a baleful glare from Moody.

"We'll go in fours. Arthur and I will go first with Ginny and Hermione. Tonks, Lupin, Harry and Ron are next. Molly, 'Dung, and the twins will go last," Moody glanced around to make sure everyone understood, and then his group made their way through the barrier. The oher groups surreptiously followed.

Harry smiled as he saw the familiar scarlet engine and the platform full of students. Harry and Ron quickly said thier good-byes to Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. Mrs. Weasley was, as usual, slightly tearful. She made both boys promise to behave and wrapped them in bone crushing hugs. Harry then said good-bye to Moody who made him promise to continue his training with Tonks.

"I'll be popping in to check Potter. I expect to see you making progress," said Moody.

"Yes sir. I will," Harry promised solemnly.

While Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were distracted with saying good-bye to Ginny and Hermione, Harry stepped over to have a word with Fred and George.

"You get all the arangements made?" Harry asked.

"Of course mate. Would we let you down?" said Fred.

"Just wish we could be there to see it," George sighed.

"It's going to be brilliant," Ron grinned.

"What are you four up to?" Mrs. Wealey asked, her eyes narrowed in suspicion. Ron's ears started to flush guiltily.

"We were just discussing Quidditch season Mrs. Weasley," Harry said innocently. "Ron was just saying we're going to have a brilliant team this year."

Mrs. Weasley seemed to relax and nodded. Just then the whistle sounded and the four students hastily boarded the train along with Remus and Tonks.

"I think we're going to head up front. We'll see you four later," said Tonks grabbing Lupin's hand and pulling him along toward the front of the train.

"We need to hurry. The prefects meeting will be starting soon and I want to get a good seat," said an impatient Hermione. Ginny rolled her eyes.

"We can't leave Harry to carry all of this by himself," said Ginny simply. "We'll just have to be late."

Hermione opened her mouth to reply but was interrupted by a cheerful voice from a compartment a few doors down the train.

"Need some help?"

"Neville!" Harry said. "How are you?"

"Oh I'm good. I saved us a compartment. You three go on. I'll help Harry with your things," he said.

"Thanks Neville," said Hermione smiling greatfully. She, Ron, and Ginny quickly hurried on to their meeting while Neville and Harry stowed the luggage.

"So Neville, how was your summer?" Harry asked.

"Great Harry," Neville said smilling. "I got to spend loads of time with Luna. Gran really likes her. She says Luna is good for me."

"I'm really happy for you Nev. Speaking of Luna, where is she?"

"Oh, she was made prefect. She'll be here after the meeting," he replied.

Harry nodded his understanding. He was glad to see Neville so obviously happy. Harry agreed with Mrs. Longbottom. Luna seemed to give his friend a new sense of confidence and peace.

"I was sorry to hear about your aunt and uncle Harry. I... um... saw your aunt when I went to visit Mum and Dad last week," Neville said. His eyes were filled with compassion and undersanding.

Harry looked down. Talking about his aunt was very difficult. His feelings on it were so mixed, but he knew if anyone would understand, it would be Neville.

"Thanks," Harry said simply. "She and I were never close but seeing what they did to her..." Harry shook his head, unable to go on.

"Don't worry Harry. They'll be stopped," Neville said comfortingly. Then as if sensing Harry's need to change subjects asked, "Want to play some exploding snap?"

Harry nodded, relieved. They were halfway through their second game when the others returned.

"I absolutely cannot believe that they let Malfoy stay prefect. That bloody evil little ferret!" Ron stormed plopping down across from Harry.

"He's still a prefect?" Harry asked. "What is Dumbledore thinking?"

"You know how he is Harry. He believes in second chances, deserved or not," said Hermione.

"Yeah but Malfoy," Ginny piped in. "He gives me the chills. Always has. The way he positively leers at me sometimes." Ginny shivered.

"He WHAT?" Harry and Ron demanded angrily.

"Oh it's nothing to worry about. He looks at all of the girls that way," Ginny added hastily in an attempt to calm both her brother and boyfriend down.

"Not all," said Hermione. "Just the pure bloods."

"Ok... how come I have never noticed this before?" Ron asked.

"You weren't paying attention," Luna said in her dreamy voiced way. She was, like last year, reading The Quibbler upside down.

Just then the object of their discusion poked his head in their compartment, followed by his two ape-like friends. Malfoy looked around with his usual sneer and saw Harry holding Ginny's hand.

"Tsk, tsk, tsk Potter. The company you keep," Malfoy murmured.

"Better than the company you keep," said Harry striving to keep his calm, especially when he saw the look directed at Ginny.

"You must really like animals then. I mean, your godfather was dog, your cousin a pig, and your girlfriend a weasel," Malfoy sneered.

"What's the matter Malfoy? Jealous? Just because the closest things to girls you can get are Crabbe and Goyle here..." Ginny retorted.

The sneer was wiped off of Malfoy's face and he pulled out his wand, aiming it at Ginny. Before he could even begin to utter a curse however, Harry was on his feet. He moved so quickly that he was just a blur to those watching. His foot connected with Malfoy's jaw, snapping his head back and causing his eyes to roll back in his head. Malfoy was crumpled to the floor in a heap between Crabbe and Goyle before either of them could move to protect him.

"I suggest you two take him out of my sight now," said Harry in a quiet, deadly voice. Eyes wide, the two Slytherins picked their friend up and dragged him back out into the corridor. Harry snapped the door shut behind them and resumed his seat next to Ginny as if nothing had happened.

"Bloody hell Harry! That was..." said Ron.

"Against about ten different school rules," said Hermione glaring at Harry. "I can't believe you did that."

"Oh come on 'Mione. He drew his wand. He was going to curse Ginny. Do you honestly blame Harry for that?" Ron asked.

"Of course I don't blame him. It was just irresponsible. You are going to get in so much trouble," said Hermione woriedly.

"No he won't, as we're not technically at school yet. Besides, he was defending me," said Ginny smiling and snuggling up to Harry, who was taking deep calming breaths to reign in his temper.

"Where did learn that Harry?" Neville asked in awe.

"I've been taking lesons all summer," said Harry awkwardly. He really hated being the center of attention.

"Are we going to learn that in D.A. this year?" Ron asked excitedly. "That'd come in very handy if we were, you know, attacked or something."

"I hadn't thought about it. We may," said Harry deciding to change the subject. "So...who do you think will try out for Quidditch this year?"

Ron's eyes lit up and he launchd into a discussion of his favorite subject. After that the trip passed fairly uneventfully. Remus and Tonks stepped in briefly to tell them that Malfoy had apparently "tripped" and nearly bitten his tongue off. Harry suspected, from the looks they directed him, that they knew exactly what had really happened.

By this time he train was beginning to slow. They all scrambled to grab their things and Ginny and Luna left to go "herd midgets" as Ron called it.

Stepping off the train, Harry looked around at the press of students. He saw the carriages standing with the skeletal thestrals which pulled them, and the castle lights twinkling far in the distance.

"Firs' years over here! Firs' years!" came the familiar call. "All right you three?"

Harry waved to Hagrid and smiled as he made his way to the carriages with Ron and Hermione. He was finally home.

A/N: Originally, this is where I was going to end this story, however, it developed in ways I didn't originally plan so I'm continuing it past this. Hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please review. Once again, many thanks to Danielle for moderating.