Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Finally Home by Weasley Mom

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
All the characters contained herein belong to Ms. Rowling.

The thestral pulled carriages rolled to a stop at the foot of the castle's stone steps. Harry and his friends climbed out and blended in with the noisy laughing throng which was making it's way into the school. As they entered the Great Hall, Harry felt the familiar stares which seemed to accompany him anytime he was in public. He kept his head down and started to make a bee-line for his usual spot at the Gryffindor table. He felt a small warm hand slip into his and looked down to see a smilling Ginny.

"Don't you dare let them do this to you Harry. This is going to be the best year ever, remember? Keep your head up, and smile or I'm going to start hexing people," she said. A steely glint came into her eyes as she stared down a couple of fourth year Ravenclaws who were looking at Harry and whispering.

"Yes ma'am!" Harry said smiling at her greatfully. Ginny beamed at him and then pulled him along to a seat across from Ron and Hermione.

The Great Hall was decorated in its usual start of term spledour. Hundreds and hundreds of candles hovered over the house tables, casting their glow throughout the hall and glittering upon the golden plates and goblets which were awaiting use. Harry looked around and saw many familiar faces.

Several people who had been in the D.A. last year stopped on the way to their seats to say hello to Harry and the others. Most of them also thanked Harry for the O's they had received on their OWLs. A suprising number wanted to know if they would be continuing with it this year and were delighted when Harry told them that they would.

Harry scanned the staff table then, noting the prescence of Firenze. Harry assumed that he would be splitting Divination classes with Trelawney. He waved to Remus and Tonks who were sitting between two empty chairs to the left of Professor Dumbledore. Harry knew the empty chairs were the customary seats of Hagrid and Professor McGonnagall who were with the first years right now. Dumbledore was in his usual spot at the center of the table, smiling benevolently at all of his students. Harry grinned, knowing that he was not the only one glad to be back at Hogwarts.

On Dumbledore's right sat tiny Professor Flitwick and the glowering, black-clad Professor Snape. Catching Harry looking at him Snape sneered. Harry allowed his mouth to curve into an arrogant smirk that he had seen his dad aim toward Snape in the pensieve. He knew that one action would set the potions master on edge like nothing else could. Harry had decided that he was not going to meekly take whatever Snape threw at him this year. He had bigger things to worry about.

It was with these thoughts that Harry saw Hagrid enter and take his seat, followed shortly thereafter by Professor McGonnagall and a long line of first years. Prof. McGonnagall, in her usual brisk way, sat the four legged stool carrying the sorting hat down. There was a moment of silence and then the hat began to sing:

A thousand years or more ago,
When I was newly made,
Powerful charms of wisdom,
Were upon me laid.

The founders needed help you see,
To sort the students out,
And so from then to now,
This is what I've been about.

I've sorted countless youngsters,
And helped them find their home,
But in this world, with danger near,
From this task I must now roam.

Our Hogwarts is in peril,
War and fear will soon hold sway,
And the houses must unite,
To keep the evil one at bay.

For a hero dwells among you,
But he can not fight alone,
And all must show their loyalty,
If we're to change this evil tone.

Twice now I have warned you,
I beg you to take heed.
If we do not stand as one,
Then evil shall succeed.

Now must I end my song,
I must complete my task,
But while I divide, you must unite,
It is for Hogwarts that I ask.


Harry looked around uneasily. He felt most of the eyes in the now silent hall upon him. He started to withdraw into himself, as he usually did when he became the center of attention, then he felt Ginny squeeze his hand and saw her smile reassuringly. Harry sat up straighter and raised his head defiantly. It was not his fault he was the bloody savior of the world. He refused to hide. He turned his attention back to Professor McGonnagall who was now unrolling a long scroll of parchment.

"When I call your names you will come up, place the hat on your head, and sit on the stool. When the hat announces your house, you may go sit at the appropriate table," she told the scared looking first years. Harry remembered how nervous he had been all those years ago and tried to smile reassuringly at the nervous group of children.

"Abingdon, Amanda" McGonnagall called.

A tiny blonde girl with sky blue eyes marched trembling up to the stool and put the hat on.

"Gryffindor!" the hat shouted. Harry and the other Gryffindors cheered loudly as Amanda joined them smiling.

"I swear this takes longer every year," said an impatient Ron.

"The sorting is important Ronald, besides we ate on the train. You can't possibly be hungry yet," said Hermione.

"I never said I was hungry 'Mione. I just said that it was taking forever," said Ron grumpily. Hermione rolled her eyes missing the grin Ron shot Harry. Harry returned Ron's grin and winked. Unfortunately Ginny was watching them.

"All right, what are you two up to?" Ginny asked, a knowing look on her face.

"Up to love?" Harry asked innocently.

"That may work on Mum Harry James Potter, but she thinks you walk on water. I know better. I've seen you and Ron with your heads together enough the last few days to know something is up. Now tell me what it is," Ginny demanded.

Harry grinned. "It's a suprise, but I promise you'll find out soon. Look the sorting is almost over."

Ginny opened her mout to protest, but the last first year, Zorrich, William, had been sorted into Ravenclaw, and Professor Dumbledore was rising to make his traditional speech. She shot Harry an I'll deal with you later look and turned to listen.

"Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! Before we begin the feast, I feel it is my duty to inform you that I've been told the treacle tart is particularly good tonight. Now, tuck in!" said the headmaster.

Food magically began to fill the plates as students scrambled for food and drink.

"Wait for it..." Ron said to a grinning Harry.

The sound of howls began to fill the hall. Hermione nearly dropped her goblet of pumpkin juice when it began to howl at her, and looked accusingly at Ron and Harry. Before she could open her mouth to scold them, however, Ginny and several others began to laugh uncontrollably and point at the Slytherin table.

"Oh Merlin! Would you look at that," she said between giggles. "How did you two do this?"

Several of the Slytherins, including Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle, had sprouted floppy black dog ears and tails. They also appeared to be incapable of talking and could only bark their protests. Even Hermione could not maintain her disapproval at the sight of a furry black tail sticking out the back of Pansy Parkinson's robes.

Overhead, several of the candles began to emit glowing silver sparks which zoomed around the room before, finally coalescing into a giant life like silver stag which pranced around the hall. The hall was in an uproar of barks, howls, and laughter now. Harry and Ron were almost falling off their seats at the look on Malfoy's face. Harry hazarded a look at the staff table to gauge their reactions.

Dumbledore was laughing outright, while he and Professor Flitwick tried to determine exactly what charm had been placed on the goblets to make them howl. Professor McGonnagall was doing her best to maintain her decorum but a distinct smile was playing about her lips. Tonks and Hagrid were, like Dumbledore, chuckling at the general chaos. Snape was, of course, glaring at the Gryffindor table as if he knew the source of the mischief.

Lastly Harry looked at Moony, who was beaming at Harry and Ron like a proud parent. The Marauders tradition of an Opening Feast Prank had been reborn. Harry thought he detected a touch of sadness in Moony as well, and knew that he, like Harry himself, was wishing that Padfoot and Prongs were here enjoying this as well.

Another loud pop sounded somewhere near the ceiling of the Great Hall, and just as suddenly as it had begun, the chaos stopped. The Slytherins returned to normal, the goblets ceased their howling, and the silvery stag faded away as thousands of paper stars floated down from the above. Hermione plucked one out of the air, noticing the words printed upon it.

"What's it say?" Ginny asked still trying to stifle her giggles.

Hermione shot the two boys a glare and read, "Tonight's entertainment was brought to you courtesy of the Marauders, in co-operation with Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes. They may be gone, but they'll never be forgotten."

"You realize Dumbledore, McGonnagall, and Snape, not to mention Remus and Tonks, will know exactly who did this right?" said Hermione.

"I don't know what you mean Hermione," said Ron trying to look innocent.

"Ronald! You're a prefect. You are supposed to be setting an example for the younger ones," she said in frustration.

"Don't be mad at Ron, Hermione. We did it for my dad and Padfoot. Moony told us that they started every term with a major prank and well, we thought it was about time for the Marauders to restart that tradition," said Harry.

"But Harry, you aren't Marauders," said Hermione.

Harry and Ron shared a guilty look. "We kind of are, but we can't explain it here," said Ron. "I promise we'll explain it tonight." He shot her pleading look, complete with puppy dog eyes which would've done Sirius proud.

Hermione sighed. "I'm not sure I even want to know."

"I do," said Ginny. The mischievious streak she shared with the twins was very evident at the moment. "How did you two do this? You've been with us all day."

"You two did this?" asked Seamus, who was sitting nearby. "Excellent!"

Harry groaned. He knew before morning the whole school would know that he and Ron were responsible. He sincerely hoped Padfoot and Prongs appreciated what he and Ron would go through for them.

"Now that the entertainment portion of the evening is over," Professor Dumbledore said, his blue eyes twinkling. "I must ask for your attention while I give out start of term notices. First off, Mr. Filch has asked me to tell you that the list of forbidden items has expanded once again this year. The full list, which now includes most of the excellent items sold by our friends at Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes, may be found on his office door. Also as always, the Forbidden Forest is most definately forbidden still," Dumbledore paused here to look signifcantly at Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny.

"We have a few staff changes again this year. First, Professor Firenze will be continuing with us. He will be teaching NEWT level Divination classes. Professor Trelawney will continue her duties with the younger students. Next, please welcome Professor Nymphadora Tonks, who has taken leave from her duties as an auror, to become our Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher for the year. Finally, please welcome back Professor Remus Lupin, who some of you may remember as a former Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Professor Lupin, in addition to working on some special projects with me, will be acting as supervisor for the newly reformed D.A. which some of you participated in last year. Anyone interested in participating in the DA this year should contact either Professor Lupin or Mr. Harry Potter of Gryffindor," Dumbledore paused once again to indicate Harry.

"This completes our announcements for this evening. Prefects if you could please escort your houses to their dorms. Mr. Potter and Mr. Weasley, if I might have a word with you gentlemen in my office please." Harry and Ron exchanged a somewhat nervous, slightly guilty look.

"Well what did you expect?" Hermione snapped at them before turning and leading the Gryffindors out. Ginny quickly pecked Harry on the cheek before she too left to help Colin Creevey with the first years.

Harry and Ron made their way to Dumbledore's office. It wasn't until they reached the foot of the stone gargoyle that they realized they had no idea what the password was.

"Any ideas?" Ron aksed.

"Canary Cream?" Harry tried doubtfully. To his amazement the gargoyle began to move. "Wow, never got it on the first try before. You ready for this mate?"

At Ron's nod, Harry took a deep breath and led the way up to the headmaster's office.

A/N: Ok I have gained a whole new respect for Jo Rowling. Writing the sorting hat song was one of the hardest things I've done. Hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please review. Once again, thank you to the wonderful Danielle for moderating and also to my son Will for being my own personal live-in beta.