Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Finally Home by Weasley Mom

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
All the characters in this story are owned and created by Ms. Rowling.

Harry and Ron nervously entered the headmaster's office. They both knew the probable consequences of their prank, although they'd both assumed that they'd be facing McGonnagall rather than Dumbledore. They were, however, not prepared when, upon entering the office, they saw not only Dumbledore, but Professors McGonnagall, Snape, Tonks, and Lupin as well.

"Bloody hell Harry. Think it's too late to make a run for it?" Ron murmured.

"That won't be necessary Mr. Weasley, I assure you," said Dumbledore, his blue eyes twinkling with humor. "Although, I suppose we should get your punishment out of the way before we move on to the other matters which we need to discuss. Minerva?" Professor McGonnagall rose, a very stern look on her face, although Harry thought he might have seen a twinkle in her eye before she ruthlessly squashed it.

"I cannot believe that two members of my house would pull a stunt like this. I am very disappointed in you boys. Mr. Weasley, you are a prefect. You should be setting a better example for the younger children," Professor McGonnagall said to Ron, who looked contrite and muttered what might have been an apology.

"As for you Mr. Potter, you are quidditch captain, not to mention the fact that so many look up to you for all of the other things you've done. You two could have done serious damage to the Slytherins had your transfiguration gone wrong. We haven't even discussed the fact that you've managed to break more rules in one night than I've seen since... well since the Marauders," Harry heard Tonks snort and saw Remus shush her. McGonnagall pinned the two with her most stern look.

"I expected better of you two. You will each be serving three nights of detention with Mr. Filch, and I want two rolls of parchment from each of you on human to animal transfiguration and the possible consequences when it is improperly done."

Harry groaned and Ron looked as if he wanted to protest, until Professor McGonnagall raised her eyebrow and asked, "Would you like me to add more?"

"No, professor," said Ron and Harry glumly.

"Now that we have that taken care of, have a seat gentlemen," said Dumbledore conjuring two squishy armchairs for them. "You are both pobably wondering why it was necessary to have all of us here for this."

Harry allowed himself a small smile and nodded. "Yes sir. I was starting to think we might be expelled."

"No Potter. That would've made me too happy," sneered Prof. Snape.

Harry looked at him, suprised. That had sounded perilously close to a joke. As far as Harry was aware, however, Snape had no sense of humor. The professor saw Harry's stare and smirked.

Dumbledore chuckled, "Quite right. Can't have our potions master too happy. It would send the student body into shock."

Lupin had to cough hastily to cover his laugh, as did Ron. Harry and Tonks grinned outright. Snape shot sour looks at all of them.

"Aside from your punishments boys, we needed to have a word with Harry regarding some Order business. As we didn't want to draw too much attention to that fact, this seemed to be the most expedient means to the end," Dumbledore said.

"I guess that's my cue to leave then," said Ron starting to rise. He knew that, since he was not an Order member, he was not generally privy to information about what they were doing.

"Actually Ron, you can stay for this," said Professor Lupin. "I'm sure you'll be finding out about it soon enough anyway." Ron looked suprised for a minute, and then sat back down, smiling in a pleased sort of way.

"Harry, do you remember what we discussed at the last Order meeting? About the D.A.?" Remus asked.

Harry nodded. "Yes, and I've been thinking about it ever since. We didn't really get a chance to go into many specifics though, so I wasn't able to plan much."

"That is why we have called you here Mr. Potter," said Dumbledore. "As I said at the feast, I am having Professor Lupin work with you and the D.A. this year. I think we will have Professor Tonks assist as well. I would like as many of our older students as possible to be ready to defend both themselves and the younger students. I think that, between the three of you," said Dumbledore indicating Harry, Tonks, and Lupin," that you'll be able to prepare them quite well."

"Professor," said Harry doing his best to read between the lines of what Dumbledore had said," Does his mean that you think Hogwarts will be attacked?"

"I think that it is a definate possibility Harry. My main fear is that Voldemort will send the dementors against the school," Dumbledore said gravely.

Harry's eyes widened at the implications of that. He felt Ron tense up next to him.

"Professor, we can't fight the dementors. Most of us can't even produce a partial Patronus, and even less can produce a full one," said Ron.

"He's right Professor. Only a handful of people in the DA last year could produce a full fledged patronus, and that was without an actual dementor bearing down on them," Harry agreed.

"Calm down Harry," said Remus quietly. "We have time to prepare. The Order will have warning of an attack well before it comes. We just want to be ready for the worst."

"Don't forget, Hogwarts has it's own protection," added Tonks. "It is probably the most secure building in the nation, even more so than the Ministry."

"All right," said Harry taking a deep breath. "This somewhat chages what I was planning to do this year, but..." Harry shrugged. He would do whatever it took to protect and prepare his fellow students.

"As far as the other function of the D.A. this year," Dumbledore said. "I'd like to see at least two representatives from each house."

Harry nodded. "That was my thought as well Professor, but I'm not sure if we'll be able to get people from ALL of the houses. I'm not terribly well thought of in Slythein," he sad with a grin.

"Leave Slytherin to me Potter," said Snape. "I am well aware of who to keep an eye on in my house."

"Have you given any thought as to who you'll be recruiting Mr. Potter?" Professor McGonnagall asked.

Harry nodded. "Well, obviously Ron, Hermione, and Ginny from Gryffindor. I thought Neville Longbottom as well. People tend to think of him as harmless and open up more around him. I realize that is more than two people from Gryffindor, but I know I can trust them all. I thought I would get their input on who to pick from the other houses as well."

"Get our input on what exactly?" asked a, by now, thoroughly curious Ron. Harry grinnned.

"We're going to put together a small group of D.A. members to help gather information for the Order," he answered.

"You mean like spies? Wicked," said Ron.

"No Mr. Weasley not like spies," said Dumbledore firmly. "You will not spy on your fellow students nor will you put yourself in danger to obtain information. What you will do is keep your eyes and ears open. Anything unusual should be reported as soon as possibl to Harry, who will, in turn, relay the information to the rest of the Order."

"Which reminds me sir, how I am going to do that without arousing suspicion?" Harry asked.

"We've actually come up with a rather ingenious plan for that, if I do say so myself," said Dumbledore smiling. "It was actually Professor Lupin's idea."

"Oh?" said Harry turning to his guardian.

"Detention," said Lupin simply.

"Excuse me?" said a thoroughly confused Harry. He hadn't even done anything, well not since the feast anyway. Lupin grinned.

"If you have anything to report, get yourself landed in detention with one of us," said Lupin simply. "The prank you boys pulled tonight plays into this beautifully by the way."

"Wait a minute... You're actually encouraging us to cause trouble?" asked a disbelieving Ron.

"No, we're encouraging you to stage trouble and then only when necessary. Fred and George have agreed to keep you supplied with whatever you might need for this purpose," said Lupin.

"I think that is all for tonight boys, unless you have any further questions," said Dumbledore. Both boys shook their heads.

"Very well. Professor Lupin, could you see our young troublemakers back to their common room please. I'd hate for Mr. Filch to see them out after hours and give them another detention," the headmaster said, his eyes regaining their customary twinkle. Harry, Ron, and Remus rose and made their way down the stairs and headed for Gryffndor Tower.

"So... are you two going to tell me how you pulled off all of that at the feast or just leave me wondering?" Lupin asked with a grin. Harry and Ron smiled miscieviously.

"I can not believe that one of our founding fathers can't figure out how we did it," Harry sighed, an impish twinkle in his eyes.

"A bit sad really," Ron agreed. "Of course, he is one of them now."

"Them?" Lupin asked.

"A teacher," said Ron with a mock shiver.

"Good lord, I've created a couple of monsters," Moony sighed dramatically. The interchange between Harry and Ron had reminded him strongly of similar conversations he'd had with Padfoot and Prongs when they were feeling particularly pleased with their own cleverness. The boys were grinning from ear to ear. Remus had never seen Harry look more like James.

"Well?" he asked finally. "Are you going to tell me or just keep grinning like the cats that ate the pixies?"

"Well the idea was actually Harry's," Ron began.

"But Ron figured out how to execute it," said Harry.

"We had to enlist Fred and George and Dobby," Ron explained. " The thing with the Slytherins was easy... a couple of sprinkles of Padfoot's Patented Puppy Powder in their food. Dobby did that for us."

"He also put out the goblets that we'd enchanted to howl," said Harry. "He was pretty excited about the whole thing. I think he'd waited a long time to get a little revenge on Malfoy."

"All right," said Moony. "The fireworks I recognized as one of the things Fred and George gave Harry for his birthday, but you two never had the opportunity to set those up, or the stars either actually."

Harry grinned. "Fred and George snuck in last night through Honeydukes to set up the fireworks. They also gave the powder and goblets to Dobby. They made us add the stars. They said if they were going to do all of the setup, they should at least get free advertising."

"Not bad for your first prank young Marauders," said Lupin. "Padfoot and Prongs would, I'm sure, be very proud."

"Thanks Moony," said Harry happily. They were now outside the portrait which marked the entrance to Gryffindor Tower.

"I'll see you two tomorrow. Harry meet with me in the room of requirement tomorrow after class so we can go over the schedule for D.A.," Lupin said.

"Night Moony," said Ron.

"Tell Tonks we said Hi," said Harry innocently.

Lupin grinned, blushing slightly, "I will."

"Patronus," said Ron and the portrait hole swung open. The boys entered, expecting to find the common room empty. They were, unfortunately for them, wrong.

Hermione and Ginny were sitting in two chairs by the fire waiting. Neither looked very pleased, in fact, they both appeared quite angry. The boys, not sure exactly what they had done, but deciding that discretion was the better part of valor, headed for the stairs.

"Stop right there Ronald," said Hermione.

"Freeze Potter," Ginny practically growled.

Harry and Ron exchanged a nervous glance, but froze.

"I believe that you two have something to tell us?" Hermione asked determinedly.

Hope you enjoyed that one. Please make sure to review.