Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Finally Home by Weasley Mom

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
All of the characters contained herein belong to Ms. Rowling.



The next few days passed by in a blur of classes and homework for Harry. Before he knew it, Monday night had arrived. He found himself nervously pacing the room of requirement awaiting the large group of students who had signed up for the D.A. Harry felt rather the way he had before his first quidditch match... nervous, naseous and very worried about letting everyone down.

"Honestly mate, I don't know what you're so nervous about. You did great last year. Look how many people got OWLs and NEWTs because of you," said Ron who, along with Ginny, Neville, Luna, and Hermione, had come to assist Harry in getting things ready.

"He's right Harry. Even I managed an OWL in defense. If you can teach me, you can teach anyone," Neville said in a valiant effort to relieve his friend's case of nerves.

"This year is different guys. Last year I was helping people to pass their tests. This time people want me to teach them how to survive. Their lives may depend on what I'm doing now," Harry said rubbing his scar.

"Harry you have got to stop doing this to yourself. You are not responsible for everyone and everything," Hermione said.

"Aren't I Hermione?" Harry asked his green eyes blazing. "Unfortunately that responsibilty was placed squarely upon my shoulders when I was just a baby. You know it as well as I do."

"What do you mean Harry? Just because you survived You-know-who's curse does not make you responsible for everything he does or is there something I don't know?" Neville said. He was frowning in puzzlement now and both he and Luna were shooting Harry questioning looks.

Harry inwardly groaned. He absolutely did not want to go into the prophecy tonight, especially with Neville of all people. Yet, he had just practically blurted it out in front of him.

"It's nothing Neville. Hermione's right. It's just my nerves talking," Harry said, hoping he sounded convincing.

"I don't think so Harry," Neville said somberly. "I know that there is something going on, something you aren't telling me. I can feel it."

"Neville, you do not want to know this. Trust me," Harry said.

"No Harry. Somehow, I think this is something important. I think that this is something I need to know," Neville said with a look of fierce determination upon his face.

"Nev..." Harry began but was interrupted by the timely arrival of Tonks and Lupin. "Look... I'll tell you later. I promise, but it's really complicated and now is not the time."

Neville stared at him for a moment bfore nodding and turning away. Harry breathed a sigh of relief. He had never been so glad to see his guardian.

"So Harry, are you ready for tonight?" Remus asked. Harry grimaced.

"As ready as I'm going to get," he said. Tonks laughed.

"You sound like I did last Monday morning. I was a wreck. You'll do fine Harry," Tonks said grinning as she twirled a strand of hair, which tonight was long and jet black, around her finger.

"We'll both be here if you need anything," Remus added before looking at Tonks. "I think I liked it better earlier incidentally."

Tonks rolled her eyes and scrunched up her face. She was now sporting wavy blondish brown hair, although it was still long.

"Better?" she asked.

"Much," Remus replied, his eyes twinkling mischieviously. "You looked too much like Bellatrix before." Tonks gasped, punching him in the arm.

"No need to get insulting," she said indignantly. Remus winked at Harry and then, putting on his most innocent expression, apologized profusely to her. Harry grinned. It was moments like these that he could see the Marauder inside the professor.

People began to enter the room then and sit down in the numerous chairs which were lined up in rows across the floor. Tonight Harry would be meeting with both levels of the D.A. Wednesday, he planned on holding a much smaller meeting with just those who would be acting as eyes and ears for the Order in Hogwarts. Next week, however, the meetings would resume as he and Remus had planned, with the younger group meeting on Monday and the older, more experiened one on Wednesday.

The room was rapidly filling up with chattering, noisy students. Harry was gratifed to see everyone form the previous year, with the exception of Marietta Edgecombe, attending. In addition, there were the many new faces of the younger students, as well as some older students who had not joined the group before. Most suprising to Harry, however, was the small knot of Slytherins who sat protectively huddled together in the back of the room.

"We'd better get started if we're going to get everyone back to their common room by curfew," Remus said quietly.

Harry nodded and, taking a deep breath, walked purposefully to the front of the room. Remus and Tonks followed, flanking him. Harry had never been more greatful for their silent support.

"Could I have everyone's attention please?" Harry asked. People began to quiet down and turned towards him with expectant faces.

"First of all, before we begin, I'd like to thank you all for coming. I would also like to introduce the professors who are acting as sponsors for the group. Professors Nymphadora Tonks and Remus Lupin." Tonks and Lupin nodded to the politely applauding crowd. When they again quieted down, Harry continued.

"Now, for those of you who don't know, the D.A. was formed by a group of us last year as sort of a defense study group in the face of some rather incompetent teaching. You may be asking yourselves why we are continuing this year when we have an extremely talented teacher. The answer is simple, Voldemort." A collective gasp ran through the crowd at Harry's use of the V word.

"He said his name!" Harry heard one first year near the front whispering to his friend.

"Yes. I said his name. It's just a name. In this case, it isn't even his real name. The first thing everyone in this room needs to understand and deal with is their fear. It's how Voldemort wins. Fear is his greatest asset." A low murmur ran through those assembled as people reacted to what Harry had said. He ignored them and pushed on.

"First through third years, the primary focus of your group will be learning to use simple spells to disable your opponent. Notice I said disable, not defeat. Very few of you will be able to do the more complex spells the older groups will be working on, but even a simple spell may allow you the time you need to escape a bad situation." Harry could see the dissappointed looks on some of the younger students faces. They had obviously been hoping to do higher level spells.

"With this group, it is not the power of the spell which will be emphasised, but finding unique ways to use the spells that you have. Take wingardium leviosa for example. It is one of the first charms that we learn here at Hogwarts. It certainly isn't that powerful, nor that difficult, and yet, my friend Ron Weasley used it during my first year to save myself and Hermione Granger from a fully grown mountain troll. Quite an impressive feat," Harry said. Several of the first years turned to look, wide eyed at Ron.

"Pay attention midgets," he growled, although Harry noticed that his friend did look rather flattered at their attention.

"Fourth through seventh years, much like last year we will be working on more complex spells. With the dementors deserting Azkaban, we will be placing special effort into teaching as many people as possible the patronus charm. I know we have several people from last year who can already do this. You will be enlisted to help teach those who cannot. This group will also be learning binding charms, wards, more complex shield spells, and several rather nasty offensive spells. I should point out however, anyone caught using the spells learned here for anything other than self defense or classwork will be kicked out and dealt with by the Headmaster." Harry looked intently around him at the crowd gathered.

"All right. Any questions?" Harry asked. A mousy looking Hufflepuff first year timidly raised his hand.

"Yes?' Harry said pointing at him.

"What does D.A. stand for?" the boy asked.

"Dumbledore's Army," Harry said, remembering Ginny suggesting it the previous year and the trouble it caused. The boys eyes went wide.

"We won't have to go to war will we?" he asked his voice coming out in a squeak. Harry smiled at him.

"No, the name was meant as a joke," Harry said, hoping that he was not lying to the boy. He knew that the older students at least would act as a last line of defense for the school should the need arise. "Any other questions?"

"Is it true that you lived on the run with Sirius Black and helped him escape the Ministry?" a fourth year Ravenclaw girl, who vaguely reminded Harry of Lavender Brown, asked. His eyes widened in shock. He had certainly not been expecting that.

"You've been reading too much Teen Witch Weekly. Keep the questions to the D.A. please," Ginny growled sending the girl a viscious look.

"Errr...right," Harry said thoroughly disconcerted now. "Umm any D.A. related questions?"

"How do we know that you are qualified to teach us this stuff. I mean we haven't actually seen you do anything except talk," one of the Slytherins said.

"If you doubt him then why are you here Slytherin?" Ron said drawing himself up to his full, rather impressive height.

"No Ron, it's a fair question I suppose," Harry said. "In any case, I had planned to give a small demonstration tonight anyway." Harry quickly removed his outside robe, under which he was wearing a t-shirt and jeans.

"I'll be dueling against Professors Lupin and Tonks. We will only be using spells which we will be practicing here. The last team to have someone standing wins," Harry said by way of explanation. "Whenever you two are ready."

"Tarantagella!" Remus shouted, but Harry was ready for them.

"Protego!" Harry said. A bright bluish shield snapped into place before him and deflected Remus' spell. Tonks meanwhile had circled around behind him.

"Stupefy!" she said. Harry dove out of the way and shot a spell back at her.

"Impedimenta!" he said.

Hexes were soon flying through the air with amazing rapidity. Harry finally managed to take out Remus with a full body bind. Now it was just he and Tonks. They fought back and forth for a few minutes before Tonks landed a disarming charm on Harry.

"Ha! Got you Mr. Potter!" she said grinning. Harry smiled back and raised an eyebrow a tad bit arrogantly.

"Oh really? Accio wand! Stupefy!" he said. In one smooth motion, he had summoned his wand and stunned Tonks, who was now laying unconscious on the floor. Harry quickly woke her and removed the body bind from his gaurdian while the assembled students applauded tumultuously.

"That was bloody brilliant Harry!" Justin Finch Fletchley congratulated.

"Thanks Justin," Harry said before turning to the Slytherin. "Are you satisfied that I am qualified now?"

The other boy mutely nodded.

"All right then, if there are no more questions, I'll see you all next week," Harry said. People rose and began to file out, talking excitedly. Harry noticed a rather large group of girls shooting him flirty looks and giggling. He also noticed they seemed to be paying Ron a good bit of attention as well.

"It was inevitabe I suppose," Remus sighed.

"What was invitable Moony?" Ron, who was always oblivious, asked.

"The fan club," Remus replied nodding towards the girls who were just now making their way to the door under Hermione and Ginny's watchful glares.

"Fan club?" Harry said blushing. Remus nodded.

"That's what James and Sirius dubbed the girls that used to follow them around," he said smiling. "Your dad mostly ignored them. Sirius seemed to think it was his personal mission in life to insure that he made up for James' lack of interest by errrmm giving them each a little attention."

"Yes well. Harry and Ron are both taken," Hermione said shooting one last glare at the door and then changing the subject. "You did an excellent job tonight Harry."

"Yeah way to show that stinking Sytherin mate," Ron beamed.

"Ron!" Hermione said exasperated. "We're supposed to be uniting the houses. Remember?"

"Don't you two need to start patrol soon?" Ginny asked innocently.

"Omigosh! She's right. C'mon Ron," Hermione said dragging her boyfriend off with her.

"You know, you'd think now that they are dating that they wouldn't fight as much," Ginny said, rolling her eyes.

"Are you kidding? I'd worry if they stopped. It would be... unnatural," Harry said wryly.

"You two had better head back to the Tower Harry. It's almost curfew," Remus said.

"Yes professor," Harry grinned. "I'll see you Wednesday for my lessons."

Harry and Ginny strolled hand in hand down the halls towards Gryffindor tower. Ginny was doing her best to engage Harry in a conversation about the next day's quidditch tryouts, Harry however was lost in thought.

"Harry are you allright?" Ginny finally said after asking him the same question for the third time.

"Yeah of course I am. Why do you ask?" he replied absently.

"Oh I don't know, maybe the fact that we've been talking for the last five minutes and you have no idea what I have said. I was just wondering if that girl asking about Sirius..." her voice trailed off.

"Oh. No. I mean, I'm fine Gin," he said. She was not convinced.

"Nice try Potter. I've been watching you for five years now. I think I can tell when something is wrong. Besides, you didn't even react when I told you that I'd snogged Justin in the Great Hall," she said mischieviously.

"You what!" Harry exclaimed. Ginny giggled.

"I didn't. I was only testing to see if you were listening, which you weren't by the way. It's nice to see that you care though," she said pecking his cheek. "Now, what is it Harry?"

Harry sighed and muttered under is breath about her being just like her mum.

"Thank you. I'll take that as a complement knowing how you feel about my Mum. Now 'fess up. What is bothering you love?"

"It's Neville and the damn prophecy," Harry said at last. "I know that he has a right to know about it. I mean, it could've been him instead of me, but I don't know if I can tell him. I don't know how he'll react and I don't want to make him feel bad. I just wish he never had to know," Harry said running his hands through his hair and rubbing his scar.

"Harry, it'll be ok. You're absolutely right though. He deserves to know. I'm sure it won't be easy for either of you, but it has to be done," Ginny said gently. She wrapped him in her arms then and laid her head on his shoulder. Harry kissed the top of her head, breathing in her scent and closed his eyes.

"Hey now! None of that in the halls you two. I'd really hate to dock points from my best mate and my sister."

Harry and Ginny turned to see a grinning Ron and Hermione coming down the hall toward them. Ginny stuck her tongue out at her brother.

"That was a quick patrol," Harry said grinning.

Ron grimaced. "We aren't done yet. You just happened to be in our area."

"You'd better hurry back to the common room though. Technically you already should be there," Hermione said.

"We'll be there soon ourselves," Ron added. "And no more snogging my sister in the halls!" Ron called, grinning as Hermione dragged him away.

"Right, because you've never kissed Hermione in the halls Ronniekins," Ginny hollered after them.

"He hasn't. We use the thrid floor broom closet," Hermione said impishly.

"'Mione!" Ron gasped.

Harry and Ginny heard her chuckle drift back down the hall to them. They laughed and hurried to Gryffindor Tower before they were caught by Filch. Harry was smiling down at Ginny when they entered the portrait hole. The smile quickly slid off his face, however, when he spotted Neville sitting near the fire in the otherwise deserted common room, a very determined look upon his face.



A/N: Sorry this chapter took so long. My mother-in-law(who incidentally is my model for Sirius' mum in the Marauder fic I'm working on) was in for a visit. Thanks go out as always to Danielle for moderating, my son Will for being my beta, and all of you for your wonderful reviews. Thank you also for reading. Next chapter.... Neville and Harry have a chat.