Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Finally Home by Weasley Mom

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

A/N: All of the characters contained herein belong to Ms. Rowling.




"Do you want me to stay?" Ginny whispered to Harry. He shook his head.

"No, but thanks," he replied giving her a slight smile. Ginny nodded and quickly headed up the stairs to the fifth year girls' dorm. Harry took a deep breath and walked slowy over to Neville, who was now staring into the fire.

"Mind if I sit?" Harry asked. Neville shrugged, but moved over.

"Look Harry, I'm sorry I shouldn't have pressured you like that earlier. I mean, whatever it is... it's really none of my business and it's not like I'm your best friend or anything. If... if you don't want to tell me I understand," Neville said, his eyes never leaving the flickering flames.

"It's not like that Neville. You are one of my friends, one of the most loyal I have. It's not that I don't want to tell you, it's just that..." Harry sighed. His hands automatically went to his scar, rubbing nervously.

"This is not going to be easy for you to hear, and even harder for me to say. You should know though. You deserve to know. This is probably not the best place for this, however. Ron and Hermione will be back soon and anyone could come down. One second," Harry said. He dashed upstairs and grabbed the Marauder's Map and his cloak from his trunk.

"Ok, let's go," Harry said as he came down the stairs. Neville's eyes widened.

"But it's after curfew. We're sure to get caught," Neville said fearfully.

"No we won't," Harry said grinning and showing him the cloak and map. "Not with these. They used to belong to my dad. He and his friends used them to sneak around the school all the time. Ron, Hermione, and I have used them alot too. Trust me. We'll be fine."

"I'll probably end up in detention with Snape," Neville muttered, nevertheless, he walked over to Harry. The two boys were soon under the invisibility cloak and rapidly making their way towards the room of requirement. They had a close call when Filch turned down their hallway, forcing Harry to cover Neville's mouth to keep him quiet, but eventually they made it undetected to the room.

"You better sit down Neville. This may take a while, and you're probably not going to like what I have to say," Harry said, indicating the two overstuffed chairs which were the only contents of the room at the moment. Neville sat nervously.

"I... I meant what I said Harry. You don't have to tell me anything," Neville murmured.

"I appreciate the sentiment, however, I really think you need to know this. Someone should have told you, told both of us, a long time ago," Harry said grimly.

"B-b-both of us?" Neville stuttered. Harry sighed, uncertain how to continue.

"Yes Neville, both of us. I only just found out about it at the end of last term, and now I'm telling you. As it concerns us, however, they should have told us way before now," Harry paused to gather his thoughts.

"Allright... Do you remember the prophecy?" Harry asked.

"You mean the one with your name on it that the Death Eaters lured you to the Ministry for and then tried to kill us all to get? Yeah, a bit hard for even me to forget that Harry," Neville said with a small smile. Harry allowed himself a strained grin.

"I suppose so. After... that night," Harry said stumbling over his words a bit. While he had mostly accepted Sirius' death, actually saying the words was still too much for him.

"After that night," Harry began again, "while the rest of you were in the hospital wing, Dumbledore took me to his office. He told me alot of things, and I sort of yelled at him and tore apart his office."

"Harry!" Neville exclaimed, shocked. "He must have been really angry with you." Harry shook his head.

"No, actually he wasn't. He seemed sad, and tired, but not angry. At first I didn't understand why. I wanted him to be angry with me because I was angry with him. Then he told me. He knew what the prophecy said and he told me. "

Harry's mind flashed back to that night. He felt anew the anger and pain at losing Sirius. He also felt again the nearly paralyzing fear that the words of the prophecy brought. Some of his emotions must have shown on his face, for Neville had paled considerably and his hands had a death grip on the arms of the chair in which he was sitting.

"What did it say Harry? And what does it have to do with me?" Neville asked in a trembling voice. Harry raised pain filled green eyes to his friend and once again recited the words of the prophecy which had forever changed his life.

"The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches... Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies... And the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not... And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives... The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies."

"Oh Merlin! I could be the one couldn't I? I may have to face V-V- him?" Neville squeaked before his anger took hold. He stood up then, his face turning a purplish shade reminiscent of Uncle Vernon.

"Why the hell didn't someone tell me? How come you know and I didn't? Of course, they'd assume it was you. I'm just poor, useless, pathetic Longbottom aren't I? You've always been the hero. Of course no one would think it was me."

"Neville, calm down and let me finish," Harry practically shouted.

"There's more?" Neville blazed. "This just gets better doesn't it?"

"The thing is, it's not you. It could've been, but it's not. It's that bit about 'and the Dark Lord shall mark him as his equal.' He marked me. I'm the one he chose," Harry said, striving to control his own emotions.

"Naturally he chose you. Even as a baby I wasn't good enough," Neville muttered.

"Do you want this Neville? Because I will gladly switch you places. People have died because of me... my parents, my godfather, Cedric, even the Dursleys, and they hated me. Voldemort destroyed them all. I have nightmares every night. I can see Voldemort's thoughts, hear him talk to me inside my head. I've been there when he has tortured people, Neville, inside his head. My thoughts and my feelings aren't always my own and I hate it. You think I'm brave? Well I'm not. I'm scared to death, but I'll face him anyway just so I can be free. As long as he survives, I cannot live. Do you have any idea what that's like, knowing you have to kill someone just so you can have a normal life?" Harry felt the green flames rising around him once more. The very walls of the castle seemed to tremble and shake as he struggled to reign in his rage. Growling, he threw a ball of pure energy at the now vacant chairs, disintegrating them into a pile of ash. He saw that Neville was now backed into the far wall. His eyes were wide with fear in his round face. He swallowed convulsively and then spoke.

"No Harry, I don't. I've always wanted to be you, you know. Everyone likes you, everyone looks up to you, even the teachers. I've always just been clumsy, forgetful Neville. I'm the one everyone ignores and overlooks. I never thought that I would be happy to be overlooked, but I am. I never thought of myself as the lucky one, now I know. I'm sorry Harry," Neville said quietly.

Harry felt his anger slowly fade away in the face of his friend's soft declaration. Harry sank down onto the floor, pulling his knees up and resting his head and arms upon them. He took several deep, calming breaths before allowing himself to speak.

"I'm the one who should be sorry. I didn't mean to..." he waved vaguely at the still smoking pile of ash which had been chairs. "I 'm having some control issues. I'm working on it though." Neville sank down on the floor next to him, looking slightly dazed.

"It's ok Harry. Don't worry about it. If there's anything that I can do... I mean, there isn't much I'm really good at, but if you think there's something I can do, I will. I'll be there to help however I can," Neville said awkwardly. Harry shook his head.

"Will you stop Neville? You're not useless. I have never thought that. Look at what you did at the Ministry. You're just as good as me, Ron, Hermione, or anyone else. I still think that you are worth ten of Malfoy, Nev. I'm proud to call you my friend," Harry said. For the first time since they had started their conversation, a true smile lit Neville's face.

"Thanks Harry, that means alot," Neville said, his smile fading as another thought crossed his mind. "Harry... my parents... you don't think that they were attacked because of me do you?" Harry sighed, wishing he could give his friend the easy answer, but he refused to lie about this.

"I honestly don't know Neville. I know they weren't attacked until after I was, and it was Bellatrix, not Voldemort, but I just don't know. They may have gone there looking for answers about the prophecy. Please don't think that it's your fault though. It's his... theirs. They're evil, and I will make them pay for everyone they've hurt. I promise," Harry pledged, but Neville shook his head.

"Not Bellatrix, Harry. I know she killed your godfather, but she destroyed my parents. She is mine," Neville said grimly. Harry had never thought to see the anger and determination which was currently burning in Neville's eyes. He simply nodded.

"Allright Neville. We can do this, for our parents and for everyone else those two have hurt," Harry said, believing it for perhaps the first time.

Ok... let me start by apologizing for being so long between chapters. I had some computer issues, and then when I got my computer back to normal, submissions were closed. I would also like to apologize for not replying to my reviews. The login issues have made it nearly impossible for me to do so. I am, however, reading them daily. Thanks go out, as always, to Danielle for moderating, my son for beta-ing, and all of you for reviewing. Next chapter... a visit with Hagrid, some news on the animagi front, and Voldemort rears his ugly head.