Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Finally Home by Weasley Mom

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

A/N: All of the characters contained herein are the property of Ms. Rowling.



Harry, Hermione, Ron, and Ginny had returned to school two days after the attacks on Diagon Alley and the Ministry, at Mrs. Weasley's insistance. Mrs. Weasley herself, though weak as the the healer had predicted, had been discharged about five days later. She was staying at Grimmauld Place, where all five of her older children were spoiling her mercilessly. At Harry's request, Dumbledore had sent Dobby there, as well. The house elf had solemnly promised Harry that he would see that "Harry Potter's Weezy Mum" was taken proper care of. Harry hoped that she was enjoying the pampering, assuming she allowed it. Mrs. Weasley was, after all, just as strong-willed and stubborn as her children.

Halloween seemed to arrive before Harry knew it, and with it the first Hogsmede visit. He was looking forward to it as he never had before, because he knew that he would be going with Ginny. Though they had been going out since Harry's birthday, they had yet to have a real date. Aside from that, between quidditch, the D.A., classes, his training, meetings for Dumbledore's special project, and their continued animagus practice, not to mention the mountains of homework Ginny was dealing with for her OWL year, they had not had any time alone since before the battle at the Ministry.

Halloween morning, Harry awoke earlier than everyone else. He stretched, smiling, for the first night since the battles he had slept nightmare free. Getting out of bed he quietly grabbed his things and went to the showers, returning a short time later both clean and dressed. Harry eyed a snoring Ron with a mischievious grin, before flicking him with the end of his wet towel.

"Wake up, Ron! Hogsmede weekend! The girls are waiting," he said loudly.

"Harry! The sun isn't even up yet," Ron groaned. Harry laughed.

"Actually, it is. You'd know that if you'd open your eyes. Now get up before I sic Hermione on you," Harry said. Ron smiled, his eyes still closed.

"Hmmmm... Hermione in my bed... and this is supposed to motivate me to get up how?" Ron asked.

"Thanks for that mental image, Ron," Harry said, making a face. Ron, however, didn't see it as he had now covered up his head.

"Allright, Weasley. Remember you forced me into this," Harry said.

In a swift motion, he yanked all of the covers off of Ron, exposing him to the cool morning air. Ron sat up growling and sprang for a now laughing Harry. The two were soon rolling on the floor in mock combat. It wasn't long, before the whole room had awoken and joined in, making a great deal of noise. Harry had just managed to wriggle away from Seamus and put Ron in a headlock, when a bossy voice spoke from the door. The boys immediately froze.

"As much as I would hate to interrupt what, I am sure, is some sort of complicated male bonding ritual, Ginny and I are getting hungry. Were you two planning on coming down this century?" Hermione said. The expression on her face was somwhere between complete exasperation and laughter at the boys antics. Harry smiled and shot Ron an I told you so look.

"Ron was having a hard time waking up this morning, Hermione. I was just helping him," Harry said innocently. Hermione raised an eyebrow.

"Hrmmm...remind me to warn Ginny that you seem to think the proper way to wake a person up is to put them in a headlock," she said mischieviously, before leaving the room.

Harry and Ron followed her down a short time later, arguing over exactly who had won their tussle. Ginny and Hermione were sitting in chairs by the fire, waiting. Both of them looked uncommonly pretty this morning, although Harry had eyes only for Ginny.

"Morning," he said, giving her a quick peck on the cheek. "Sorry we kept you waiting. Someone had a hard time waking up this morning." He gave Ron a very pointed look.

"I did not have a hard time waking up. I was just holding out for someone better looking than a scrawny midget with glasses to do the waking," Ron sniffed. Harry chuckled.

"Fine. Next time I'll ask Hagrid to do it," he said impishly. Taking Ginny's hand, he then led the way down to breakfast.

When they entered the Great Hall, it was filled with the chatter of happy, noisy students, for which Harry was very glad. The first few days after the attacks, things had been very subdued. Additionally, Harry had once again had to deal with the fallout from stories in The Daily Prophet, which was hailing him as some great hero, much to his annoyance. They had even gone so far as to put an artist's rendition of Harry fighting at the Ministry, as they had been unable to get pictures. That had finally died down, however. Harry was very relieved to see that things were getting back to normal now.

The four took their usual seats at the Gryffindor table, and Ron and Hermoine were soon in one of their famous 'discussions' on where they should go first when they reached Hogsmede. Ginny and Harry exchanged an amused glance. The flutter of wings overhead, announcing the arrival of the mail, brought a stop to the argument. Harry was suprised to see, not only Hermes with Ron and Ginny's daily update on their Mum, but his own Hedwig land on the table. Frowning, he took the letter from her, feeding her his scraps of toast. Harry quickly opened it and began to read, his face becoming thunderous.

"What is it, mate?" Ron aksed tentatively. Harry sighed, clearly trying to collect himself.

"I'm to have a guard accompanying me in Hogsmede for my own protection. It's bloody ridiculous! I've taken care of myself my whole life. I just took on dementors and death eaters in not one, but two battles, and now, suddenly, I need to be watched over again. Why can't I just be normal for once?" he raged.

"Harry, maybe it won't be so bad. It'll probably be Tonks and Remus, anyway. It's not like we'll have Moody following us around hexing everything that moves," Hermione soothed.

"That's not the point, Hermione. I have no privacy... none. I wanted... "he broke off casting a look at Ginny and blushing slightly. Ginny returned his glance, and the blush. She too had been hoping for some time alone.

"It's ok, Harry," she said, taking his hand. Harry sighed.

"No, it's not, but I suppose we have no choice," he replied.

They finished their meal in silence, Harry's mood putting a damper on all of their spirits. When they were done, they made their way to the front gates where the escort was to meet them. Once there, they were greeted, much to their suprise, not by Remus and Tonks, but by Fred and George.

"Fred and George Weasley, bodyguards extraordinaire, reporting for duty," Fred said, saluting Harry smartly. Harry grinned, his mood lightening. Having Fred and George following them would be better than being watched over by adults, like they were children. Ginny, however, looked less then pleased.

"Wonderful! I get stuck with the trouble twins following me around on my date," she huffed. George and Fred grinned.

"Not to worry Gin-Gin. You won't even notice we're here," George promised.

"Unless loverboy gets too frisky," Fred added, only half teasingly.

"So, how'd you two end up with guard duty? Shouldn't you be watching the shop?" Ron asked.

"We volunteered and Lee is watching the shop," George answered.

"We felt it a bit stupid, honestly, as Harry had already kicked dementor and death eater arse, but we figured if they were going to insist on it, better us then Moody," Fred shrugged.

"Besides," George added," we're considering expanding to Hogsmede and wanted to scout out the possibilities."

"And then there is that package you needed delivered before the feast tonight," Fred said winking. George nodded his agreement.

"And now we have been invited to attend, so we won't miss the festivities like last time," he said.

"So you got them, then?" Ginny asked anxiously.

"Would we let our favorite little sister down?" Fred asked. Ginny rolled her eyes.

"I suppose it would be wrong to point out that I am your only little sister?" Ginny muttered. George cast a significant glance at Ron, while fingering his wand.

"We could change that," he said innocently. Ron paled, and Hermione whirled on them, hands on her hips.

"Don't you dare!" she said. The twins laughed, throwing their hands up in mock surrender.

The rest of the trip to Hogsmede passed in jovial conversation and good humour. The twins, who were greeted as heros by the rest of the students for their spectacular exit the previous year, seemed to enjoy the attention they were receiving. They spent more time handing out business cards and free samples than actually guarding Harry, which was just fine with him. The management at Zonko's, however, did not seem to appreciate the competition, and glared the group out the door. The day went very quickly for Harry, and, before he knew it, it was time to return to the castle. Fred and George left them at the gates to go report to Dumbledore, while Ginny, Hermione, and Ron returned to Gryffindor Tower. Harry begged off under the excuse that he had lessons with Remus.

He watched until his friends were out of sight, and then grinned a very Marauder like grin. He was determined to get some time alone with Ginny. He knew just how he was going to get it, and just who to go to for help. Whistling quietly, he made straight for the whomping willow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About a half an hour before the feast, Harry entered the Gryffindor common room, very tired but with a satisfied smile plastered on his face.

"Good lesson I take it?" Ginny asked from her spot in one of the chairs before the fire. Harry nodded.

"The best," he said bending down and kissing her. "Where's Ron and Hermione?"

"The library," Ginny giggled. Harry rolled his eyes.

"Do they honestly think we believe that?" he asked. Ginny shrugged, her eyes twinkling mischieviously.

"You should have seen them when I volunteered to go with them," she said. Harry laughed, and scooped Ginny up, repositioning her onto his lap while they waited for Ron and Hermione to return. When they entered the common room a short time later holding hands, Harry and Ginny exchanged a knowing look.

"How was the library?" Harry asked innocently. Ron immediately went bright red, while Hermione looked away guiltily.

"Oh it was, ya know, very ummm... informative," Ron said lamely.

"Probably all of those books they keep there," Ginny dead-panned. Harry had to bite the inside of his cheek to keep from laughing.

"We'd better head down to the Great Hall so no one takes our spot," Hermione said, seeking to change the subject. They others agreed, and they hurried to the quickly filling hall. Some first years were sitting in their usual spot, but a glare from Harry, along with a not so subtle "Move Midgets!" from Ron, and the seats were empty once more. Normally, they wouldn't have resorted to that, but it was imperative they have their spot for tonight's festivities.

The Great Hall was decked out in it's usual splendour for Halloween. Large glowing jack-o-lanterns floated above the house tables, and clouds of live bats flitted about the enchanted ceiling. Everyone chatted merrily about the day's Hogsmede visit, anticipating the start of the feast. Looking up at the staff table, Harry saw Fred and George talking animatedly with Professor Flitwick, who was examining one of the twins' newest products. He saw Fred, or possibly George, give him a wink. Harry nodded in return and, gently reaching his foot out, felt the object under the table which the twins had smuggled in for them. Across from him, he saw Ron do the same. They all exchanged slight nods, with barely contained enthusiasm, awaiting the prearranged signal. With a wave of Dumbledore's hand. the feast appeared on the table. Harry tensed, waiting until everyone was clearly absorbed with their meals, then coughed. At that signal, they all went into action.

Harry carefully pulled his invisibility cloak, which he had given to Fred and George earlier, off of the small crates which were under the table. Ron and Ginny, who had been holding their wands under the table, surreptiously flicked them at the crates opening them, sending the small piglets which had been inside scurrying out. Hermione meanwhile, under the guise of dropping her napkin, shrunk the crates and slipped them into a pocket of her robes. The four then sat back to wait. It didn't take long.

A low confused murmur began to arise from the Gryffindor table as the piglets sought their way out from under the maze of legs. One of the animals, apparently growing desperate, tried to force it's way out between Lavender Brown's feet. She stood up screeching, throwing the pudding she'd been holding, which, much to Hermione's delight, landed squarely on Pansy Parkinson's head. Not one to take that lightly, Pansy then hurled some mashed potatoes at the Gryffindor table, splattering Seamus in the face. Food was soon flying back and forth through the hall. Amidst the chaos, Mr. Filch had spotted the piglets, which were scurrying around the room squealing, and was trying, very unsuccessfully, to catch them.

Fred and George, nearly in tears with laughter, decided to bring the fight to the staff table, flinging a custard pie towards Remus and Tonks. Most unfortunately, they missed, hitting Professor McGonnagall with it. The twins' eyes widened in dismay. The professor, however, merely wiped the custard off, and sent them a steely glare before sending rolls magically pelting after them. Professor Snape, meanwhile, had left the staff table and was headed for Harry and the others with a determined glare.

"Uh-oh, we've been found out," Ginny exclaimed.

"Run!" Harry commanded.

They split up. Ron and Hermione headed one way, Harry and Ginny the other. Naturally, Snape chose to follow Harry. Harry and Ginny, hurriedly made for the doors, pausing only long enough to scoop up one of the pigs for phase two of their plan. Snape was in hot pursuit. He was almost upon them, and Harry thought for sure they was caught, when the professor was caught in the back of the head with a flying pudding thrown from the direction of the staff table. Snape whirled long enough to discern the source of the missle, allowing Harry to cover himself, Ginny, and the pig with the invisibility cloak, before slipping from the hall.

They raced through the corridors to the one-eyed witch passageway, slipping inside. Harry removed the cloak and slipped the pig into the small pen which they had set up earlier, before he and Ginny sunk to the floor, doubled up with helpless laughter.

"Did you see the look on Filch's face?" Ginny giggled.

"What about your brothers when they hit McGonnagall?" Harry laughed. The sound of the passageway opening up had Harry hastily recovering them, but when he saw it was only Ron and Hermione, he removed it once more.

"Another brilliantly executed plan Mr. Potter," Ron said grinning.

"Why thank you Mr. Weasley," Harry grinned back in return. "I believe we have done our forefathers proud with tonight's work."

"Most definately," Ron agreed.

"Oh yes, because it's not like Ginny and I came up with the plan or anything," Hermione said acidly.

"You're right. We could not have done it with out the awe inspiring brilliance of our resident geniuses," Harry said. "My dad would've been proud to call you Marauders, ladies." Hermione smiled, while Ginny sank into a mocking curtsey.

"We live to serve," she said sarcastically.

"So when do you think we should move into phase two?" Ron asked.

"I'd give them a few days to cool down, and for Filch to search," Harry said thoughtfully. Hermione nodded.

"Yes, I believe two days should be sufficient, and then we'll release Pansy near the charms classroom," she said.

"Pansy?" Harry asked with a raised eyebrow. Hermione grinned.

"Well she does kind of look like Parkinson, only cuter," Hermione said innocently, contemplating the pig. Harry shook his head chuckling.

"We should probably lay low for tonight. Snape is on the warpath, and I, personally would rather deal with McGonnagall tomorrow then Snape tonight." Harry said. The others nodded their agreement.

"Why don't we split up again. You two can go to the library, and I have the perfect place for Ginny and I to hide," he added. Ron shot Harry an overprotective big brother look, but a glare from the Hermione had him agreeing. Harry made a mental note to thank Hermione for that one. He pulled the Marauder's Map out of his pocket and handed it to Ron.

"You guys can take that. Ginny and I will use the cloak," he said. After checking the map to make sure it was safe, the four slipped out of the passage and headed off in opposite directions.

"Where are we going?" Ginny whispered. Harry smiled at her.

"It's a suprise. Now shush before someone hears us," he said.

He stealthily lead Ginny out onto the grounds, and they made their way to Hagrid's cabin. Hagrid was, apparently, still up at the castle as the windows were dark. Removing the cloak and tucking it safely away in a pocket of his robes, Harry continued around the hut to the shed, Ginny following close behind.

"Alohomora!" he murmured. The shed's lock clicked and he opened the door. He smiled as he saw the motorcycle gleam faintly when the moonlight hit it. Ginny gasped.

"Oh Harry! Are we going for a ride?" she whispered with barely contained excitement.

"Now what do you think I spent all that time this afternoon learning to fly this thing for if I wasn't going to take you for a ride, love?" he teased. She hugged him enthusiastically.

"C'mon, help me wheel it out," he said softly. They wheeled it out to a fairly open area behind the cabin. Harry then showed her how to sit on it and where to put her feet, before sitting down in front of her.

"Hang on," he told her, and then started the powerful engine. As it roared to life, Harry felt a thrill at the surge of sheer power from the bike. Revving the engine, they took off across the grounds and were soon soaring through the moonlit skies. Harry wheeled out over the Forbidden Forest, just skimming the tops of the trees. Ginny tightened her grip around his waist, and leaned her head against his back. As first dates went, Harry reflected, he couldn't imagine one more perfect.

Down on the ground, near the Whomping Willow, Remus and Tonks kept a watchful eye on the headlight of the motorcycle. Remus smiled reminiscently.

"At least he's not quite the madman that Sirius was on that thing," he murmured. Tonks laughed.

"I remember the first time Sirius took me for a ride on it. I must've been four or five at the time. I thought Mum was going to have kittens," she grinned. Remus laughed.

"Knowing Andromeda, I'm surpised she let Sirius off with all of his parts intact," he said.

"Oh, you know how he was then. He could charm the pants off of anyone, even my Mum. You all could come to that," Tonks said. Remus looked away, sighing.

"I wish..." Remus said, pausing then and shaking his head.

"What love?" Tonks asked.

"I wish that Harry could've known them like I did. He's so very like James sometimes, and others, he's all Lily. He has quite alot of Sirius in him too, come to think of it," he said, looking once more at the motorcycle, which was now circling the North Tower.

"I see quite a bit of you in him too, you know," Tonks said softly. Remus smiled down at her gently.

"Thank you," he said softly, before chuckling. "I'm sure James and Sirius are bursting with pride at tonight's prank, wherever they are. I think it might've even topped some of ours."

"You miss them still, don't you?" Tonks asked. Remus nodded.

"Yes, and I probably always will," he agreed. She put an arm around his waist and leaned her head against his shoulder. Glancing up at him, she began to laugh softly.

"What?" he asked, frowning.

"You have custard behind your ear," she grinned. Despite himself, Remus joined in her laughter.

"Who'd have thought Severus' aim was that good," he said. "Although, I suppose I did start it." Tonks laughed outright then.

"I believe that there is still quite a bit of Marauder in you, Professor," she said. Remus grinned, before bowing rakishly.

"Milady, I assure you that I am all Marauder," he said. Tonks smiled.

"Hrmmmm... and are those rumours I have heard about the reputation you Marauders have with sweet, delicate flowers such as myself true?"

"Alas, yes," Remus said dramatically. "We're rogues, the lot of us. That it, until we find our one true love, then it's undying loyalty and fidelity, I'm afraid."

"I see," she said, her eyes twinkling. "And have you found your one, true love Mr. Moony?"

"Yes, milady. I absolutely have," he said before taking her in his arms and kissing her gently under the stars, while the motorcycle roared overhead.

A/N: Awwww... I know... fluffy fluff, but I couldn't resist. Remus should get to be happy dangit. Thank yous go out, as always to Danielle for being my moderator, my son Will (whose eww gross reaction to the love scene told me I had gotten it just right) for being my beta, and all of you fantastically wonderful people for reading and reviewing. Next time, first quidditch match and a glimpse at the pig prank stage two.