Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Finally Home by Weasley Mom

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +



All of the characters contained herein are the property of Ms. Rowling.



"Come on, Harry! Presents! Up and at 'em!" Ron hollered, ripping the blankets off Harry, who groaned and rolled over onto his stomach.

"How is it that everyday but Christmas you'll sleep until noon, but on Christmas you're up and cheerful at the bloody crack of dawn?" Harry groggily asked. Ron grinned.

"Presents are a powerful motivator, mate," he said. Harry chuckled.

"Good point. Let's go wake the girls," Harry said, rising and throwing on his robe.

"You're joking right? Ginny's probably been downstairs for half an hour. She enjoys Christmas even more than I do," Ron said. "Now hurry up. I want to get downstairs before Fred and George do something to our presents."

The boys thundered down the stairs and into the drawing room. As it turned out, Ron was correct. Ginny and a very sleepy looking Hermione were sitting on one of the sofas. Ginny smiled and scooted over making room for the boys between them.

"Happy Christmas, Harry," she said smiling.

"Happy Christmas to you too, love. So why aren't you two opening your presents yet?" Ginny rolled her eyes.

"Weasley tradition," she said.

"Mum won't let us start opening them until everyone is up," Ron elaborated. "So who are we still waiting on?"

"Bill, Fleur, Remus and Tonks," Hermione answered, stifling a yawn.

"So where is everyone else then?" Harry asked puzzled.

"Percy, Penelope, Mum and Dad are in the kitchen. Charlie and the twins went to wake Bill and Fleur," Ginny replied. Just then an outraged squeal sounded fom upstairs, Ginny giggled.

"I'd say they're up," Ron laughed.

"Sounds like it," Harry agreed.

"Do you think one of us should go wake up Remus and Tonks before the twins decide to?" Hermione asked.

A series of loud thumps followed by the sudden apparation of a slightly shocked looking Fred and George into the room, forestalled the need to answer. A grinning Remus and Tonks strolled in a short time later, hand in hand.

"Never ever think you can get the jump on a Marauder boys,"Remus said.

"Happy Christmas Remus, Tonks," Harry said smiling.

"Happy Christmas, Harry," Remus replied.

"It's certainly been a great one for me so far," Tonks said flashing her ring. Hermione and Ginny squealed and went over to her , hugging her enthusiastically. At the sound, the rest of the family rushed into the room. Once Mrs. Weasley, Fleur, and Penelope realized the cause of the younger girls' excitement, they too joined in, and an excited feminine chatter quickly filled the air.

"That's a bit scary, that is," Ron said from where he and Harry watched on the couch. Harry grinned at his friend.

"You better be glad Hermione didn't hear you say that," he said.

"Like I'd say that in front of her. I may be thick, but even I'm not that thick," Ron chuckled. Dobby appeared then, with steaming mugs of chocolate for everyone.

"Congratulations Remus and Tonks," Mr. Weasley said, raising his cup. "Marriage is a wonderful thing for a man."

"Thank you, Arthur," Remus said. "I only hope our marriage will be as good as yours and Molly's has been."

"Can we open presents now?" Ron said hopefully.

"Ronald!" Hermione and Mrs. Weasley chorused in exasperation. Harry rolled his eyes at his friend. As mature as they got, in some ways, Ron would never change.

As the youngest Weasley, it was traditionally Ginny's job to hand out the presents. Once the enormous pile of gifts had been sorted through and passed out, the opening began in a frenzy of ripped paper, scattered ribbons, and choruses of thank yous. Harry smiled as he watched his friends' and family's delight at the gifts which had been given to them.

Mrs. Weasley was thrilled with the new self kntting needles that Harry had given her, while Mr. Weasley was excitedly skimming through the do-it-yourself books Harry had purchased for him. The books had seemed the perfect gift, as they gave thorough instructions on rewiring various muggle appliances. Harry smiled as he saw Ron blush bright crimson at Hermione's rather enthusiastic thank you for the charm bracelet he had given her. He'd had to bite his lip to stop the laughter when Remus winked at him after donning the sweater his new fiancee had made. His guardian had very gentlemanly ignored the fact that one sleeve was about two inches shorter than the other, and proclaimed it a perfect fit.

"Oh Harry! It's beautiful," Ginny said, throwing herself at him after opening her present. "Put it on me?"

"I'm glad you like it. Madame Tiffany said it was a protective talisman," he told her as he fastened the clasp. As the star-filled orb touched Ginny's skin, it glowed briefly then returned back to normal. Ginny looked at the crystal in amazement.

"I can feel it protecting me. It's like... being wrapped in a cozy blanket," she said. Hermione came over for a closer look and gasped.

"Wherever did you get it, Harry? True protective talismans are rare because it requires really strong magic to make one. They suposedly protect the wearer from all but the very strongest of curses, " she said in the awed tone of voice she normally reserved for books. Harry explained how he'd found it in Madame Tiffany's shop and how it had been there for almost seventeen years.

"I think we should tell Dumbledore about this," Hermione said worriedly. Ron rolled his eyes.

"And I think Harry should open his presents. Go on, mate. You haven't even opened one yet," Ron urged. Harry grinned and began to tear into his presents.

As usual, he'd gotten the traditional Weasley sweater. This one was black with a phoenix stiched into the chest. Ron had provided him with his favorite chocolate frogs, and Hermione had, of course, given him a book on ancient magic. Bill had given him a new wallet. It had several secret compartments in it for Harry to hide money. Charlie had given both he and Ron very dangerous looking pocket knives with engraved dragon fang handles. From the ever practical Percy, he, Ron, and Hermione had gotten The Official Ministry Approved Guide to Apparition. The twins had supplied him with all of the newest products in their Marauders line. His favorite one was Snivelling Snaps which emitted a loud crying sound when they exploded.

"Wicked!" he exclaimed upon opening Remus and Tonks' gift to him. It was a set of black dragon skin clothing, complete with pants, vest, boots, duster coat, and gloves. Privately, Harry wasn't sure how he'd look in it, but he liked them nevertheless.

"I picked them out," Tonks said.

"We thought those might come in handy when you're on the motorbike. Sirius used to have a very similar set," Remus told him.

"Thanks Remus. Thanks Tonks," Harry said, shyly giving them both a hug.

"Here, Harry. I guess mine is last," Ginny said, nervously biting her lip. "I made it myself." She handed Harry a long flat package. Smiling at her, he ripped the paper away and gasped. There, in a simple wooden frame, was a charcoal drawing of Harry surrounded by his Mum, Dad, Sirius, and Remus.

"Ginny, it's..." Harry said, finding himself too choked up to speak. She'd given him the one thing he never thought he'd have... a picture with his family as it should have been.

"I borrowed one of your photos of your Mum and Dad so I could get them right," she said softly.

"Thank you, Ginny. It's perfect, absolutely perfect," he said, kissing her gently.

"Enough of that, Potter. It's too early for you to be snogging my sister," Charlie called from across the room.

"Yeah, we'd rather not have to hex you on Christmas," Bill added.

"You'd better not even think about it, Bill Weasley," Ginny threatened.

"All right you lot, leave Harry and Ginny be," Mrs. Weasley ordered.

"But Mum, it's our duty, as Ginny's older brothers, to make sure that she is treated properly," Fred said.

"We've actually gone rather easy on Harry because we like him, unlike Ginny's previous boyfriends. Remember that rash we gave Corner?" George chortled. Both Ginny and Mrs. Weasley visibly puffed up in anger, while Harry silently thanked his lucky stars that they liked him.

"You what!" Mrs. Weasley screeched.

"Now Mum," George said, backing up slightly. Fortunately for the twins, the fireplace flared and Professor Dumbledore stepped out.

"Happy Christmas, Professor!" the twins chorused. Dumbledore smiled at them with his eyes twinkling, as if he knew exactly how timely his entrance had been.

"Happy Christmas to you as well boys. I trust everyone has enjoyed their holidays thus far?" he said.

"Yes, Albus. It has been wonderful having everyone together this year. You're just in time for breakfast. Won't you stay?" Mrs. Weasley asked. Dumbledore smiled, but shook his head.

"Thank you Molly, but no. I've already breakfasted at the castle. I actually just popped in for a moment to wish everyone merry and to have a word with Harry, Remus, and Nymphadora, if I might," Dumbledore said kindly.

"Of course, Albus," Mrs. Weasley said. She began to usher the rest of her brood into the kitchen, like the mother hen that she was. Dumbledore waited until everyone was gone, then turned to Harry.

"Firstly Mr. Potter, I wish to thank you for the most excellent gift," the headmaster beamed, lifting the hem of his robes to display the thick blue socks Harry had given him. "They keep my feet quite cozy."

"You're very welcome, sir. I'm glad you like them," Harry said.

"Secondly, I'm sure you'll be pleased to know that all of the Hogwarts's students made it safely home for the holidays via portkey. I shudder to think what might have happened without the information you, Mr. Longbottom, and Miss Lovegood provided," Dumbledore said, smiling.

"It was really all Neville and Luna, but I'm very glad that everything went well," Harry replied.

"Now then, Remus and Nymphadora, I received your owl this morning. I could not be more pleased for the both of you. As such, I have a gift for you," he said. His eyes twinkling as he handed an official looking scroll to the two of them. Remus opened it with a frown and immediately began shaking his head.

"Albus, we can't possibly accept this," Remus said. Dumbledore, however, put up a hand, silencing him.

"Dear boy, the Shrieking Shack has always been yours, whether your name was on the deed or not. I do have to admit, however, to ulterior motives in this. I will feel much safer if I know that the secret passage there is secure. With Pettigrew on the loose, I intend to take measures to insure the safety of all of the castle's passages. I also believe that it is a comfort to young Mr. Potter to have you both close at hand." Harry nodded his emphatic agreement. Remus looked down at Tonks who smiled reassuringly at him.

"Thank you, Albus," he said at last, shaking the headmaster's hand.

"You are most welcome... both of you. As to your request regarding Harry, I have arranged a portkey which is set to activate in approximately one hour," Dumbledore said, handing Remus a candycane. "I do ask that if you sense any trouble you return immediately."

"Thank you again, Professor," Tonks said. "I think this will be good for both of them." Dumbledore nodded his acknowledgement.

"No problem at all Nymphadora, and I quite agree. Well, I've kept you from your breakfast quite long enough, and I promised Professor McGonnagall a game of chess. I believe it's my turn to win," the professor said merrily.

"Professor," Harry said, suddenly remembering his promise to Dobby. "Can I ask you a favor, sir?"

"Yes, of course Harry. What is it?" Dumbledore said, frowning. Harry so infrequently made requests of anyone, the headmaster was, understandably, concerned.

"It's Dobby, sir. He seems to be really happy here, and, well, I sort of feel like I've been imposing on Mrs. Weasley with all of the cleaning and things. I was wondering, if you don't mind that is, if it would be all right for me to hire Dobby to work for me and take care of Grimmauld Place," Harry said nervously. Dumbledore, relieved at Harry's simple request, smiled.

"I think that's an excellent idea, Harry. It would, however, be entirely up to Dobby himself. He is a free elf, after all," he said. Harry nodded.

"Thank you, Professor," Harry said. Dumbledore patted him gently on the shoulder, then strode to the fireplace.

"I shall see you all in a few days. Enjoy the rest of your holidays," he said. Grabbing a handful of floo powder, he tossed it into the fire and returned to the school.

"So what's all that about the portkey?" Harry asked, remembering to not give away that he had overheard Remus and Tonks the night before.

"We're going to Tonks' parents' house today. We thought you might like to come with us and meet Andromeda," Remus told him.

"I'd love to come, if you're sure your parents won't mind Tonks," Harry said.

"Mum and Sirius were very close. She's been wanting to meet you for a long time, Harry. Trust me, she'll be thrilled. As for Dad, if Mum is happy, then my Dad is," Tonks said. "We'd better get a move on though, or we're going to show up in our pyjamas."

"See... she's bossing me around all ready. She'll make the perfect wife," Remus said, winking at Harry. Tonks glared threateningly at the unrepentantly grinning pair.

"Too right I am. You'd both be lost without me, and you know it. Now get a move on," she said. With that, she grabbed Remus with one hand and Harry with the other and dragged them both towards the kitchen for a quick breakfast.

Almost an hour later, Harry, dressed in his new Weasley sweater, waited nervously with Remus and Tonks for the portkey to activate. Remus had dressed with obvious care, wearing one of the new robes he'd purchased during the summer. It was a deep midnight blue and Harry thought his guardian looked very nice in it. Tonks was looking quite pretty, as well. Her hair was a wavy honey blonde and her eyes silvery gray. Foregoing her usual ripped jeans and Wierd Sisters t-shirt, she instead wore robes of simple black. Remus looked at his watch.

"Here we go. Three... two... one," he said.

The portkey activated, and Harry felt the familiar jerk behind his navel. He landed unsteadily in a somewhat untidy living room. Looking around, he couldn't help but be reminded of the Burrow. While the furnishings were obviously more expensive than those in the Weasley household, the place had the same homey, lived in feel.

"Mum? Dad? We're here!" Tonks called. A loud crash from behind a nearby door had Tonks laughing. "That'll be Dad."

"Ted! Honestly, that's the third plate you've broken this week," said an exasperated voice. "Scourgify!"

"And that would be Mum," she grinned. Beckoning them to follow her, she pushed open the door and they entered a warm, cozy looking kitchen.

"Happy Christmas, Mum and Dad!" Tonks cried, throwing her arms arouns a robust, if somewhat scruffy looking, man with thick sandy hair and warm brown eyes. Harry assumed this to be Ted Tonks, Tonks' father.

"Happy Christmas, poppet," Ted said, returning her hug before extending a hand to Remus. "Wotcher, Remus!"

"Nymphadora, dear!" Andromeda said warmly, hugging her daughter. "And Moony, it has been entirely too long."

"Yes, it certainly has Andromeda. Happy Christmas to you both," Remus said.

"Who is this now?" Ted asked, eyeing Harry.

"I'm Harry, sir. Harry Potter," Harry said quietly, his eyes locked helplessly on Andromeda. He'd have known exactly who she was even without the introduction, for she looked exactly like Sirius, though obviously more feminine. Her long, dark hair fell carelessly into her eyes, in the same way that Sirius' had. Her eyes were the same silvery gray. Her smile, when she'd greeted Tonks had the same mischievious tilt. He felt Remus put a steadying hand on his shoulder as he saw Andromeda put a trembling hand to her mouth.

"Sirius said that you looked exactly like James, but I..." she shook her head to clear it. "I'm Andromeda Tonks, dear. Sirius is... was my cousin."

"I know, ma'am. Sirius told me about you. He said you were his favorite cousin," Harry said. Andromeda laughed, a deep rich sound.

"Well I should hope so. I mean, look at the competition," she said, grinning. Having met Sirius' other cousins, Harry could not help but agree.

"Could we please not bring up those hags today. Just the thought of them gives me indegestion," Ted said with a mock shiver.

"I agree, Dad. Besides, we have more important things to discuss," Tonks said, holding out her left hand and wiggling her fingers to show off her ring. With a squeal much like Ginny and Hermione had issued at Grimmauld Place, Andromeda grabbed her daughter and wrapped her in another hug. Ted, in the meantime, had thumped Remus on the back and given him a firm handshake. Harry, feeling somewhat left out in this family moment, backed quietly out of the kitchen.

Not really sure what to do with himself, Harry idly wandered the living room, stopping to examine some pictures which sat on a shelf. Most were of Tonks in various stages of growing up, but there were three that tore at Harry's heart. All were of Sirius. The first one was of a teenaged Andromeda, her hands resting protectively on Sirius' shoulders. He looked to be about nine years old, and was looking into the camera with a sort of defiant mischieviousness. The second one was a picture of a teenaged Remus, Sirius, and James. They were wearing their school robes. Sirius was standing in the middle and had his arms around the other two, sneakily giving them bunny ears as he winked at the camera. Harry chuckled as his dad playfully punched Sirius when he noticed, while Remus merely rolled his eyes tolerantly. The last picture was of Sirius on his motorbike. The wind was blowing through his long dark hair and he looked so alive and free. Harry reached out and gently touched the picture, tears filling his eyes.

"That one is my favorite too," said a quiet voice behind him. Harry whirled to see a solemn Andromeda watching him.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snoop. I just..." Harry began. Andromeda waved him off, smiling gently.

"It's perfectly all right, Harry. Believe me, if anyone understands what you're feeling, it's me. Sirius was..." she sighed. "Come, sit." She sat on the couch, indicating that Harry should do the same. She looked at him quietly for a moment before speaking.

"What do you know about Sirius' childhood?" she asked.

"Not much," Harry admitted. "He didn't like to talk about it. He mostly told me about school and things he did with my dad."

"That doesn't suprise me. He and James had a very special bond. They'd have willingly died for each other. Remus too," she sighed. "So he told you nothing about his childhood, about growing up in Grimmauld Place?"

"Just that it was fairly horrid," he said. Andromeda chuckled mirthlessly.

"That's a bit of an understatement," she said. "My sisters and I moved in with Aunt Helena and Uncle Orion when Sirius was just a baby. Our parents had died and, as we were constantly reminded, it was damn good of them to take us in. I was nine at the time." Harry gave an involuntary start as her words so uncannily echoed the words he'd grown up his whole life hearing.

"Aunt Helena," she said, with a far away look on her face," was never exactly maternal, and Uncle Orion could be downright cruel. So there was poor baby Sirius, in this great, cold vault of a house left to the care of that nasty little house elf of Auntie's. I loved him from the second I saw him. He was, in so many ways, my baby. I did the best I could to make sure he knew that someone loved him. I tried to teach him what was right rather than that pureblood nonsense his parents spouted."

"I'm sorry," Harry said, stricken. "It's my fault. It's my fault that he is dead."

"Oh Harry," Andromeda said, hugging him. "Nymphadora told me the whole story. You are not responsible for what happened. Sirius hated that place. It was only a matter of time before he bolted from it. He loved you, you know. Sirius would do anything to protect those he loved. He used to take responsibilty for things Regulus had done to keep him from being punished. I healed him from beating after beating for that. When Uncle Orion kicked me out for seeing Ted, Sirius stepped between us to protect me from a cruciatus. He was ten years old. He would not have been himself if he hadn't come to save you. That's who he was, Harry. A hero from birth."

"Thank you," Harry said softly, feeling so close to this woman who had shaped the person that Sirius had been. She smiled, Sirius' smile.

"No, Harry. Thank you. You made Sirius so happy after he escaped from that place. He was so proud of you. He'd send me pages and pages of letters about things that you'd done. When he talked abut you, the shadows left his eyes and he became my baby again," she said, tears running down her cheeks. Impulsively, Harry hugged her. She froze, startled for a moment, then she too returned the hug, laughing wetly.

"Just look at us. Sirius is probably laughing his arse off at our blubbering and sharing a bottle of firewhiskey with your Dad to toast Moony and Nymphadora's engagement. C'mon now, let's get back in the kitchen. This should be a day of celebration," she said. Rising she pulled Harry to his feet. They both carefully wiped their tears, and rejoined the others.

The next few hours were spent discussing wedding plans, reminiscing about Tonks' childhood, and browsing through old photo albums. Harry quickly discovered that, while Tonks got most of her rather quirky personality traits from her Dad, her mischieveious sense of humor was all Andromeda. They were looking through pictures of Sirius' Hogwarts days when Andromeda grinned evilly and plucked a photo from the book to show Harry and Tonks before a blushing Remus could stop her.

"Oh come on, Andromeda. Do you have to show them that one?" Remus said mortified.

"She does now," Harry grinned, leaning in for a closer look. Harry and Tonks burst into laughter. There, in moving black and white, were all four of the original Marauders. They were dressed in girls' school uniforms, complete with make-up and long wigs which appeared to match their real hair color. The photo Remus and Peter looked rather embarrassed. The photo James and Sirius, on the other hand, were grinning and blowing kisses at the camera.

"Something you need to tell us, love?" Tonks asked, her eyes dancing with laughter.

"It was a bet with Lily. We lost," he muttered, disgruntled.

"Tell them what the bet was, Moony," Andromeda ordered.

"Oh come on, Andromeda. The picture isn't bad enough?" Remus complained.

"Come on, Moony. It wouldn't do to displease your future mum in law," Harry grinned. Remus rolled his eyes, sighing.

"Chocolate... Sirius bet your Mum that I could go longer without chocolate than she could. We both were notorius for our sweet tooths. I lost, but it was James' fault. I swear he sabotaged me to get on Lily's good side. He left an entire box of chocolate frogs sitting on my bed," Remus said. Harry and Tonks burst into helpless laughter. Remus had been pressing chocolate on Harry as the cure for all evil for as long as he'd known him.

Well before Harry was ready to go, Remus announced that it was time for them to leave if they were going to make it back for lunch, as they had promised to. Andromeda and Ted hugged them all. Harry found himself having a difficult time saying good-bye to this new found link to Sirius.

"Thank you Mr. and Mrs. Tonks," Harry said. "I've had a great time." Andromeda put a gentle hand to the side of his face, smiling although tears sparkled in her eyes.

"It's Ted and Andromeda dear, and it's been our pleasure. Come back when you can. We'll talk some more," she said, hugging him once again. As she stepped back, Harry reached out, putting a hand on the portkey Remus extended, and returned to Grimmauld Place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Much later that night, Harry stealthily made his way through the halls of Grimmauld Place, wrapped securely in his invisibility cloak. Pausing before one of the doors which lined the second floor corridor, he listened to make sure the room's occupants were asleep before opening it and tiptoeing inside. He carefully made his way to the bed, blushing as he saw the expanse of bare shoulder which peeped out of the blankets as Tonks lay sprawled across Remus' chest. Harry reached out a hand and gently prodded his guardian's shoulder.

"Moony," he whispered. "Moony, wake up."

Remus' eyes slowly opened and he looked around, disoriented. A frown formed on his face.

"Moony," Harry said again.

"Harry?" Remus said. "What is it? What's wrong? Where are you?"

"I'm wearing the invisibility cloak. Nothing's wrong. I just wanted to talk to you. Not here though. We'll wake up Tonks."

"All right. I'll...umm.. need a second though. Meet me outside the door," Remus said.

"Ok, but hurry," Harry said, exiting the room. Remus appeared a moment later. He'd thrown on one of his familiar, shabby robes and was frowning.

"What's all this about Harry?" he asked.

"Shhh," Harry whispered, rearranging the invisibility cloak so it covered them both. He quickly led Remus through the sleeping house and into his room. Once inside, Harry removed the invisibility cloak.

"Come on Moony, in here. I'll explain everything," Harry said, opening the door to his room of requirement and practically pushed a confused Remus inside. They stepped in and found themselves in what appeared to be a small, moonlit forest glade. Harry stepped over to the waiting Ron, Hermione, and Ginny and grinned.

"Colloportus! Silencio!" Harry said, casting charms upon the room to ensure their privacy. They had checked earlier to make sure that no underage magic would be detected here, as well. Remus crossed his arms across his chest and gave them a look so stern that it could've given Professor McGonnagall a run for her money.

"Harry James Potter, I've seen that look on your father's face enough times to know that it means trouble for me. I have been dragged out of a very warm bed in the middle of the night, and been very patient. Now what is going on?" he demanded.

"Well," Harry said, taking a deep breath, "since last summer, when you, Sirius, and Dad made Ron and I Marauders, we've taken our duty very seriously. We even recruited two new members." He paused, smiling at Ginny and Hermione.

"Go on," Remus said, waiting for the other shoe to drop.

"There is one thing, however, that my Dad and Sirius, achieved that we hadn't, until now," Harry said. Moony's eyes widened in comprehension.

"You didn't. Please tell me that you didn't. Do you have any idea how dangerous that is?" Remus said. It was the closest Harry had heard him come to shouting since he'd discoverd Harry with the Marauders Map in third year.

"Remus, we couldn't let you be alone anymore. Every full moon we stand and we listen to your pain, and we watch how, even with the wolfsbane, you look so lost as you go to transform alone. We couldn't let you do that anymore," Harry said.

"I never thought," Remus began, his voice unsteady. "I never believed that I would be so lucky to have this happen once in my life, let alone twice. Still Harry, all of you, there are a thousand things which could've gone wrong."

"We were very careful," Ginny said.

"We found this book," Hermione said, holding it up.

"It was dead helpful," Ron added. Despite himself, Remus began to laugh.

"I should've known. I suppose you found it in the library here?" he said.

"Yes," Harry said. "It was in the books Sirius left Hermione." Remus laughed again.

"That sneaky old dog. He planned for this to happen," he said. Bringing Out the Animal in You: The Animagus Handbook by Professor James Peresi... James, PEter, REmus, SIrius. We wrote the book... literally. Of course, we only had four copies made up. That one, I'd wager, is Sirius' copy."

"Only four? You really should have tried for a full printing. It's quite instructive, you know," Hermione said. Remus ran his hands through his hair once more.

"Obviously. It only took you five months to do what it takes most wizards years to do," Remus said.

"Four actually," Ron muttered. Remus sighed.

"I suppose it's too late to do anything about it now. Show me what you've achieved," he said. Grinning, the foursome exchanged a relieved look and transformed.

Moony watched, in some trepidation, as a stag, lion, otter, and cat appeared where Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny had been. He reached out a trembling hand to touch the stag's face.

"Prongs," he breathed. Harry bowed his antlered head and stomped his hoof in acknowledgement. Remus smiled, briefly lost in his memories at the sight of Harry's animagus form. Harry nudged him slightly, and the older wizard seemed to snap out of it.

"Well, I suppose it falls to me to name you, although Prongs came up with the originals," he said. He gave each of them an assessing look.

"Ginny, you're the easiest, with those white paws of yours. I hearby dub you Boots," Remus said. The newly named Boots meowed loudly, then began to unconcernedly lick her paw in a very cat-like fashion.

"I'll assume that means you approve. Hrmmm... Ron. Let's see... I could really use a little divine inspiration here," Moony muttered, looking heavenward. "All right, well, the lion is the king of beasts, and then there is that whole Weasley is our king business, we might as well make it official. You shall be King." King gave a low contented roar, and began to prowl the confines of the 'glade'.

"Hermione next. You guys didn't make this easy on me, did you? Whiskers? No, not very flattering for a young lady to be called," Remus rubbed his chin in thought. Hermione held up one of her small webbed paws and chattered excitedly at him. Remus chuckled. "Webfoot it is then Miss Granger." Finally, he turned to Harry.

"I know that it's not a new name, Harry, but in my mind I could never look at you this way and think of you as anything else. You shall be Prongs, just as your father was before you," he said. "Boots, Webfoot, King, and Prongs." The four younger Marauders returned then to their normal forms, quite pleased with their new names.

"Now, I think we should all go back to bed, before 'Dora realizes I'm gone and comes looking for me," Remus said.

They all filed out of the room of requirement. The girls bid them goodnight, and, as quietly as possible, returned to their room. Ron flopped down on the couch, while Harry walked Remus to the door.

"Good night Moony," he said. Remus smiled.

"Good night, Prongs, and thank you," he said, turning and walking down the hallway to where Tonks slept, waiting.

A/N: I think this was the hardest chapter I've had to write so far. The naming scene killed me. I rewrote it, and rewrote it, and rewrote it. I hope you all like it.

Thanks go out, as always to Danielle for moderating, my son Will for being my beta and sounding board for discarded names, and all of you for reading and reviewing.
Next chapter, back to school and a certain ferret may rear his ugly head, yet again.