Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Finally Home by Weasley Mom

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +



A/N: All of the characters contained herein are the property of Ms. Rowling.



Harry shifted his dinner around on his plate, not really eating anything. Tomorrow was the last day before returning to Hogwarts for the rest of the school year. It was not this thought, however, which left Harry's stomach churning and his thoughts a chaotic whirl. It was what he had been putting off, what he had been trying not to think about since the beginning of break. Tomorrow he would go visit Aunt Petunia.

He wasn't sure exactly why he felt obligated to go on these visits. It wasn't as if it was pleasant for him. It wasn't as if there was any real bond of affection between them. He was certain that none of the people whose opinions would matter to him would think any less of him if he didn't go and just left her to the healers' care, but somehow he couldn't do that. Perhaps it was because she was the last tie he had to his Mum, or maybe it was all those years it had been drilled into his head that he should be "damn greatful," for all the Dursleys had done for him. He supposed it could be the burden of guilt he carried, as well. Petunia Dursley would not be in St. Mungo's if weren't for him. Uncle Vernon and Dudley would still be alive. It was yet another tragedy that had been wrought in his young life by Voldemort and his followers. Harry sighed, throwing his napkin on his plate and giving up any pretense of eating.

"Harry, you've barely touched your food. You need to eat," Mrs. Weasley said, her voice full of motherly concern.

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Weasley. I'm just not very hungry tonight," Harry said. Mrs. Weasley nodded her understanding.

"All right, dear. Perhaps you'll feel like eating later. I'll have Dobby save it for you," she said sympathetically.

"Thank you," Harry told her giving her a half-hearted smile. "Remus, what time will we be leaving for the hospital in the morning?" Remus looked up from the quiet conversation he had been having with Tonks.

"Moody should be here about 9:30, then we'll take the Knight bus," Remus told him. Harry nodded.

"Good. That should give us plenty of time to eat breakfast before we leave in the morning," Ginny said brightly. Harry turned to face his girlfriend.

"We?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes. We. I'm going with you tomorrow," Ginny replied matter-of-factly, before calmly eating another bite of the shepherd's pie which Mrs. Weasley had prepared for dinner.

"No," Harry said. "You're not." He was dimly aware of the sudden silence in the room as the others watched their exchange. His attention, however, was completely on Ginny who very carefully set down her fork.

"Yes," she said, looking him straight in the eyes," I am."

"No, you're not," Harry said, clenching his jaw to hold back his building anger. Ginny threw her napkin down and stood, eyes blazing.

"Yes, I am. I will not spend another day watching you come home from that place and lock yourself in your room. I sat outside your door after every one of your visits this summer and listened to you blow things up to try and deal with your pain. Let me help you, you stupid git," Ginny shouted at him.

"Do you honestly think putting you through it with me will make it better, Gin?" Harry yelled, getting to his feet. "It's painful and horrible to be there. I talk to her until I'm hoarse, while she just sits there and stares at nothing. Most of the time she doesn't even know that I'm there, but it's better than when she does notice me. Do you know what she does then? She smiles at me. I've waited my whole cursed life for some sign, any sign, that she cared about me, even a little. I never got it, never. It took her being tortured into insanity before I even got a smile from her. Do you know how that feels? I sit there and I remember all those special moments with my aunt like being locked in my cupboard for two weeks when I was six because I threw up on the carpet. Then there is my personal favorite memory, the time I tried to call her Mum when I was three or four and she slapped me and told me that she would never be a mother to a freak like me. Oh, and here's the best part, I can't hate her. I've tried. It'd be easier if I did, but I can't. Every time I go there, I feel like that scared, helpless little boy locked in the dark and not understanding why. I don't want you to see that, Ginny. I don't want anyone to see that."

Turning, he fled the kitchen. Without any conscious thought, he made his way to his bedroom slamming the door behind him. Remus found him there a short time later. Harry was sitting on the floor near one of the 'windows'. He had his knees pulled up to his chest was staring sightlessly out at the image of the Hogwarts' grounds. Remus sat down next to his ward, waiting for him to make the first move.

"I can't believe that I yelled at her like that, in front of the whole family. I really screwed up this time didn't I?" Harry muttered after a while.

"Not your finest moment, no, but I think she understands, Harry," Remus said quietly. "She's worried about you. We all are."

"I know," Harry said, still not willing to talk about the pain he knew he'd be facing at St. Mungo's in the morning.. "How do I fix this, Remus?"

"You start by going down stairs and apologizing, then you listen to her," he said. "A little chocolate might not hurt either." Despite himself, Harry chuckled.

"I don't suppose you have any?" he asked wryly. Wordlessly, Remus produced a bar of Honeydukes' best chocolate from inside a pocket of his robes and handed it to him with a grin. He then pulled Harry to his feet and they walked back down the stairs together. Remus steered him into the drawing room where the whole family was sitting. All conversation stopped the minute they entered the room. Ginny was sitting on the couch with Mrs. Weasley, Tonks, and Hermione. Harry thought she'd been crying. He knew for sure that she had been when he saw the glares he was receiving from Ron and the twins. He was just glad Percy, Bill, and Charlie were all on dates.

"I.. err.." Harry said, looking to Remus for reassurance. Remus gave him an encouraging nod. "Could I talk to you for a minute Ginny... alone."

"No, Harry. You didn't seem to have a hard time talking to me in front of everyone earlier," Ginny said icily. Inwardly, Harry cringed. She was not going to make this easy on him, not that he blamed her.

"I'm sorry that I yelled at you like that, Ginny. I shouldn't have, especially not in front of everyone else. You took me by suprise, I guess. I love you. I don't mean to shut you out, any of you. I'm just sort of used to dealing with the Dursleys on my own. I don't want you to have to see that part of my life," Harry said.

"Mate, it's too late. We've already seen it. It was there for us to see every time you had to go back to that place for the summer. Do you think we couldn't tell how much you hated it there?" Ron asked.

"Did you forget we're the ones who pulled those bars off your windows in your second year?" George asked.

"Or that we've seen the locks on that hole under the stairs they used to make you live in?" Fred added.

"Or that we've spent the last five summers doing our best to answer all those desperate How soon am I getting out of here? letters?" Hermione murmured.

"Or that we've seen you come back half-starved and far too pale?" Mrs. Weasley said.

"Harry, you've seen me at my very worst, in the Chamber with Tom. Nothing I could see between you and your aunt at St. Mungo's is going to scare me away. You have nothing to be ashamed of. It's not your fault that they treated you the way they did. I love you. You have always been there to help me through things. Are you going to let me help you deal with this or not?" Ginny said, getting up and walking over to him.

"If you're sure you want to Gin, then I'd really appreciate it if you came with me," Harry told her. He then smiled his most charming smile, and even threw in his own version of Sirius' puppy dog eyes. "Does this mean you forgive me?"

"That depends. Is that chocolate you're holding for me?" she asked with an impish grin. Harry smiled, and handed her the candy bar. Ginny threw her arms around him, kissing him soundly, in front of her parents, brothers, Hermione, Remus, and Tonks.

"Remind me to stock up on chocolate the next time I mess up with Angelina," Fred told George.

"Works everytime," Remus grinned, winking at the twins.

They arrived at St. Mungo's a little after ten the next morning after a typically stomach churning ride on the knight bus. Harry, as he always did, made a quick stop by the gift shop to purchase flowers for his aunt, before continuing on to the ward where Petunia Dursley was. One of the healers, seeing him enter, smiled and walked over to them.

"Mr. Potter, it's good to see you again," she said.

"Hello Healer McDougall. How's my aunt been?" Harry asked. The healer shook her head sadly.

"There's been no real change. She's calm most of the time, and she seems to brighten somewhat whenever she gets the flowers you arranged for her to get every week. We've been reading the articles about you in The Prophet to her also. One of the nurses said she smiled when she saw your picture on the front page," the healer told him. Harry nodded.

"Thank you. Is it all right to go in now?" Harry asked.

"Yes, of course," she told him, leading him over to the curtained area in which his aunt now resided. Harry took a deep breath, gathering himself to see the woman who had raised him. He felt Ginny's small hand slip into his and squeeze. He smiled greatfully at her, before parting the curtains and entering.

Petunia Dursley was sitting in a chair near her bed rocking slightly back and forth. Her hair while neat, was far from the immaculate coif she had worn it in throughout Harry's childhood, and was now liberally streaked with gray. Her skin had that translucent paleness that one only saw in those who had suffered from the effects of a long term illness. Her eyes stared sightlessly forward, devoid of any thought or emotion.

"Good morning, Aunt Petunia," Harry said quietly, walking over and gently placing a kiss on the top of her head. "I've brought you flowers." She looked up at him and smiled an empty smile. Harry flinched as he placed the flowers in a nearby vase. He walked over and set in one of the chairs across from her. Ginny sat in the other. Remus and Moody had stayed outside the curtained area to insure their privacy.

"I'm sorry I haven't been to see you in a while. I've been away at my school. I brought someone to meet you. This is Ginny Weasley. She's my girlfriend," Harry told her quietly.

"It's very nice to meet you, Mrs. Dursley," Ginny said softly, smiling gently at Harry's aunt. Petunia just continued to rock, as if she hadn't spoken.

"I'm quidditch captain this year. We won our first game. It was against Slytherin. Ginny was brilliant. She's one of our chasers. She scored two goals," Harry said, searching his mind for something else to say.

"Harry caught the snitch. He's only missed it once, and that was only because of the dementors. He's the best seeker Hogwarts has ever seen," Ginny added. Harry couldn't help the blush that crept up his cheeks at Ginny's praise.

"I'm umm... staying at Sirius' house for the holidays. It's not the same with him gone, but the Weasleys and Remus are there too so they're taking care of me. Speaking of Remus, he's getting married to Tonks. Remember I told you about her this summer? I'm really happy for them," Harry told her.

Harry continued talking to her for the hour he was there. Ginny filled in the gaps in the one sided conversation, where Harry became too emotional to speak or could think of nothing to say. He'd never been more appreciative of her support. Finally, Remus stuck his head in through curtain.

"Time to go, Harry," he said. Harry nodded in acknowledgement.

"I have to go Aunt Petunia. I'm going back to school tomorrow, so I won't be back to see you for a while. The healers know to make sure and let me know if you need anything," he said, once more placing a gentle kiss on the top of her head. She smiled up at him again, the same empty smile. Harry closed his eyes, shutting it out. Ginny put an arm around him, offering her silent support.

"It was nice meeting you, Mrs. Dursley," Ginny told her. "I hope to see you again sometime."

They left the room hand in hand and silently followed Remus and Mad-Eye out of the hospital. Catching the knight bus, they returned to Grimmauld Place. Ginny walked Harry up to his room, pushing him gently onto the couch, where she snuggled up to him as they had countless times in the Gryffindor common room. She felt him take a deep shuddering breath and watched as he fought to keep his memories at bay.

By the time they returned to Hogwarts the next morning, Harry was mostly back to his normal self. He threw himself into his classes and training with a renewed zeal. Both Remus and Dumbledore told him that he was making great progress, however, he still felt like he was no where near being able to defeat Voldemort. Quidditch was going well also. Gryffindor had soundly defeated Hufflepuff in their match, sending them into first place in the race for the house cup, just ahead of Ravenclaw who had destroyed Slytherin when they faced each other.

Since the visit to St. Mungo's, Harry and Ginny had gotten even closer. While both were extraordinarily busy, Harry with all his extra training and Ginny with OWLs, they made time for each other every Friday. Usually they went to the astronomy tower or some other quiet spot. A few times, when there had been breaks in the weather, they had gone for rides on Harry's motorbike.

As January rolled into February, another Hogsmede weekend approached. Harry and the others were to be accompanied, once again by Fred and George. The twins met them at the castle gates, wearing their usual mischievious grins.

"Ahh... young Harry! Fancy meeting you here," George said.

"Care to accompany us to Hogsmede?" Fred grinned.

"I can't believe that they let you two be our minders again. The last time Filch nearly had kittens at all of the Weasley's Wizard Wheezes that suddenly showed up in school," Ginny grinned.

"Professor Dumbledore is a man who understands the importance of a good joke in these trouble times little sister," George said.

"Besides, Tonks is dragging Remus shopping for wedding stuff and we were available," Fred grinned.

"Poor Moony," said Ron, earning him a playful punch from Hermione.

They made their way to Hogsmede, laughing at stories of the twins latest antics. They had apparently aroused the wrath of Mrs. Weasley, and their two oldest brothers, by testing their latest product on them. Both of the elder Weasley boys had somehow ended up sprouting bright blue beards, which grew back within ten minutes of shaving them off. Unfortunately, the antidote had not quite been perfected yet and as a result, they'd been forced to wear the beards for a week.

The group spent the morning browsing through the shops in Hogsmede. Harry, following Remus' advice that chocolate is always good, had brought a large heart-shaped box of Honeydukes best chocolates for the upcoming Valentine's Day holiday. He also dragged Ron and George into Madame Tiffany's again, where he purchased a bracelet with a tiny cat charm on it. Ron, meanwhile, also made a purchase for Hermione which he was being very secretive about. Harry suspected that this was due to George's presence, but he couldn't be sure. They hurried out of the shop and down the street towards The Three Broomsticks, where they were meeting the girls and Fred for lunch. Scanning the crowded avenue, Harry spotted them coming out of Scrivenshafts. He grinned, raising his hand to wave, when a series of loud pops filled the air.

"Bloody hell!" George said, grabbing Harry and Ron and pulling them behind some barrels which stood in front of the pub. He immediately held his wand aloft, sending forth a silvery mist which sped towards Hogwarts.

"Do you see the others?" Ron asked, franitcally. "I can't see the girls."

Harry peered over the nearest barrel scanning the crowd. He muttered a choice oath which would have earned him a scolding from Mrs. Weasley. He didn't see the girls anywhere, but he did see a group of third years pinned down by a cluster of death eaters near Honeydukes.

"We've got to help them. Most of them are in the D.A. so they can last a while, but not nearly long enough. George, can you create a distraction?" Harry said urgently. George shot him an evil grin.

"Did you forget who you were talking to, mate?" he asked. Despite the seriousness of the situation, Harry grinned back.

"I'll take that as a yes. Ron, we're gonna make a run for those third years. Just stay close to me and stun as many death eaters as you can. Got it?" Harry asked. Ron gave him a terse nod.

"Ready?" George asked. Not waiting for Harry's response, he began tossing a series of brightly colored balls into the center of the death eater's ranks which exploded emitting great clouds of colored smoke and sparks. Harry and Ron sped from the cover of the barrels diving into the nearst doorway, where they found Seamus and Dean huddled.

"Harry!" Seamus said, sounding relieved. "What do we do?"

"Follow us. Shoot stunners and anything else you think will be helpful at them. Keep them busy and keep your heads down. We have got to get to those third years over there before they get slaughtered," Harry ordered. Dean and Seamus nodded looking frightened, but determined.

Harry and Ron once more darted out of their cover, with Seamus and Dean in their wake, dodging spells sent at them by the death eaters. As they dove into the next doorway, Harry saw George across the street. It appeared he had been reunited with Fred. They were now flinging what Harry suspected were dark bombs at knots of death eaters. Harry and Ron continued down the street, organizing D.A. members as they found them. They saw no sign of either Hermione or Ginny, and had to hope that they were with the twins. At last, they made it to Honeydukes. Neville and Luna were hudled in the doorway, doing their best to defend the panicing third years.

"Harry! Shouldn't help be arriving by now?" Neville asked. He had a long gash down one side of his face and Luna was sporting a black eye as she calmly fired spells from behind the cover that the door way offered. Harry frowned. Neville had a point. Where was the Order?

"I dunno. Looks like we're on our own for now, though. Listen to me, there is a tunnel down in the basement of the store. Neville and Luna, I want you to take the third years and lead them back to the castle. Alert the professors. The rest of us will stay here and keep them occupied. No heroics, just keep them occupied. Got it?" Harry said to the group of D.A. members gathered around. They all nodded, looking pale and scared.

"Good luck, Harry," Neville said solemnly. He and Luna then gathered up the frightened third years and lead them down to the basement.

"Anyone seen Hermione and Ginny?" Ron asked desperately, as he shot spells at the advancing death eaters.

"I think they were across the street in Scrivenshafts," Lavender Brown said. "I know I saw them there when the battle started."

The death eaters were continuing to advance. Harry saw Seamus fall to a stunner, but didn't have time to check and see if he was ok. Peering across the street, Harry saw another group of D.A. members with Fred and George. He didn't see Hermione or Ginny with them and fought down his rising panic at not knowing where they were. He leaned out from his cover once more to hurl a spell at Voldemort's forces, and saw Colin Creevey get blasted off his feet by a jet of purplish light and flung against the wall behind him like a rag doll. He did not get up. Another series of loud pops filled the air then, and Harry realized the Order had arrived, at last.

"Ron, get everybody out of here. I'm going out to help the Order," Harry called.

"No way, mate. Ginny and Hermione are out there somewhere. I'm staying here," Ron shouted back, as he fired another spell at the death eaters.

"Justin, Padma," Harry said. "Get everyone down the tunnels. Ron and I are going out to help."

"Be careful," Padma told him, as she and Justin motioned everyone inside Honeydukes. They paused to help Lavender and Dean drag a still unconscious Seamus with them, then disappeared inside the sweet shop. Harry turned to Ron.

"Ready, King?" he asked.

"Let's go, Prongs," Ron grinned.

Charging out of the cover of the store front, Ron and Harry made a bee-line for the knot of Order members which were driving the death eaters down the street. Two red heads stood clearly out in the crowd.

"What the hell are you two doing here?' Bill Weasley shouted at them as he took a death eater down.

"Ginny and Hermione. We can't find them," Ron said to his older brother. He then shot a reducto curse at a death eater, who was firing curses at Charlie.

"What! What do you mean you can't find them? Remus! Moody! The girls are missing," Bill called. "Where are the twins?"

"Dunno, they were across the street from us with a bunch of D.A. members," Harry answered. Yet a third series of pops echoed down the street as the aurors, led by Kingsley Shacklebolt, arrived.

"Retreat!" one of the death eaters ordered, shooting the dark mark into the clear blue sky over Hogsmede. Voldemort's followers began to disapperate with loud pops. Of the thirty that had started the battle, almost half were down in the street, fallen to the D.A. and Order.

"Not a good day for Voldemort," Moody said, grinning malisciously. "Nice job, Potter. You trained your people well."

"Harry! Ron!" Ginny called from down the street. Harry turned, letting out a sigh of relief. Ginny and Hermione were running down the street toward he and Ron, leaving the cover of Scrivenshafts, where they had rode out the battle protecting a second group of third years. Harry's relief, turned suddenly to panic as he saw a dark figure step out from the shadows of one of the shops.

"Crucio!" the figure hissed. Hermione was struck from behind, writhing on the ground in pain.

"Hermione no!" Ginny said, turning and running back to her friend. Time seemed to slow, for Harry as he saw the dark figure release the spell on Hermione, only to grab Ginny. Wrapping an arm around her, he held his wand to her throat. Tossing his head, the hood which covered his face fell back to reveal the pale blonde hair and cold silver eyes of Draco Malfoy.

"Miss me, Potty?" he asked smirking evilly.

That's right boys and girls, time for the return of the evil cliffy. Hope you all liked this one. Thanks go out as always to Danielle for moderating, my son for beta-ing, and all of you fantastic people for your reviews. This one was, I think, even more difficult to write than the last one, which explains why it took so long for me to post. The confrontation between Ginny and Harry went through at least five different versions.
Next chapter, more fun with Malfoy and a full moon frolic.