Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Finally Home by Weasley Mom

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: All of the characters contained herein are the property of Ms. Rowling.



Harry and Ginny made their way down the tunnel as swiftly as the darkness and caution would allow. They kept a constant watch on the Marauder's Map, hoping against hope that they would reach the dots labeled Ron and Hermione before they disappeared from it. If Malfoy and Bellatrix got them to Hogsmede, they could take them anywhere. There was also the possibility that a whole cadre of death eaters was waiting for the signal that Harry had come to save his friends and would rush down the tunnel from the village to kill him and Ginny and attack the school. He was trying not to dwell on that possibility, however.

They had been in the tunnel for what seemed an eternity, when it started to rise and they began to catch brief whispers of murmured conversation in front of them. Harry paused before they got too close and turned to Ginny. He loved her more than he could ever remember loving anyone. He knew her very well though, and he knew that she would have a very hard time leaving him to fight alone.

"Ginny, promise me that when we get to them you will follow the plan exactly. You will not stay to help me, no matter what. Promise me that you'll get Ron, Hermione, and yourself out," he whispered, his green eyes boring intently into her brown. Ginny glared at him.

"I told you earlier that I would follow the plan, Potter. I don't like it, but I will follow it. Just promise me that you won't take any unnecessary chances," Ginny whispered back. Harry smiled tenderly at her, briefly placing one hand against her cheek.

"I solemnly swear," he said.

Harry took her hand, and they continued down the tunnel. As they came closer to their goal, the distant snatches of sound became clearer, and the distinctively haughty voice of Draco Malfoy could be heard. Beside him, he felt Ginny instinctively tense.

"It's amazing, really, how easy her mind was to overcome. She almost shook it off when we ordered her to kill her sister in February. Once we'd gotten her past that, it was childishly easy to get her to slip into Padma's shoes. She's been quite the fountain of information too. We have the names of all of Potter's Special Forces, and, of course, we might never have found out about Snape if it weren't for her," Draco sneered.

"That evil..." Ginny hissed, before Harry shushed her. As much as the conversation sickened him, it was his only source of information about exactly what they were walking into. He would not go blindly rushing to the rescue and get people killed as he had at the Ministry.

"You vile, sick piece of scum. That is the most disgu..." Hermione's voice was cut off abruptly by the sharp, distinctive sound of a slap, followed closely by Ron's bellow of outrage. Harry and Ginny rushed down the hall. As much as he needed information, he would not get it at the expense of Hermione's safety. They turned the corner of the tunnel, those they had been pursuing finally in sight. Hermione was sprawled, half sitting, on the floor, angrily rubbing a vicious looking red mark on her cheek. Her hair was in wild disarray around her face, and her eyes were glinting dangerously. Ron lay on the floor, bound tightly from his shoulders down. He'd obviously fought not to be taken, as he was sporting two black eyes and an obviously broken nose, as well as a long bloody scratch down the side of his face. He was straining against his bonds, nearly snarling in an effort to free himself.

"Keep your hands off of her, Malfoy. You touch her again and I will tear you to pieces," he shouted. Draco and Bellatrix laughed.

"And how exactly were you planning on doing that Weasel? I realize you're a bit slow, but surely even you have realized by now that you're tied up and wandless," Malfoy scoffed.

"Now that's a bit harsh, don't you think Malfoy?" Harry said slipping out from under the cloak's protection. "After all, Ron's not the one who was so dense as to actually think that he'd get away with kidnapping my two best friends. You really think you'd have learned not to mess me with me by now."

He gave the two death eaters his most arrogant James Potter smirk, smoothly shooting stunners in their direction. Bellatrix quickly dodged, dragging Draco with her.

"Oh look, Draco. Wittle baby Potter has come to pway! Awwww, how disappointing. You didn't bring any of your friends this time. I was rather hoping Longbottom would tag along with you. I do so hate loose ends. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to make do," she sighed, shooting a jet of purple light in Harry's direction. He easily blocked it, and sent back a few spells of his own.

"The Dark Lord knew that'd you'd come to save you friends, Potty. It's ridiculously easy to manipulate you, as your mangy mutt of a godfather found out in the end," Malfoy sneered.

"Kick his arse, mate!" Ron cheered.

Harry allowed his anger to show on his face, letting them think he'd been goaded into losing control. He sent a barrage of spells at the two death eaters, who were now circling him. They were paying little or no attention to their hostages as they zoned in on Harry. It was exactly what he wanted. Voldemort was coming. Harry knew that now. They had to be gone before he got there. Silently, Harry willed Ginny to get them away, hoping she'd get Parvarti, who was sitting vacant eyed and whimpering near Hermione, as well. Harry saw, from the corner of his eye, as the ropes binding Ron loosened and he disappeared.

Harry's hands blurred with speed as he swung at Malfoy, forsaking magical combat for the more physical variety he'd longed for since the attack on Ginny at the beginning of the year. He knew the change in tactics would further distract Bellatrix and her protégé from his friends. The witch screeched as she attempted to hex Harry without hitting Draco. He smiled to himself as he saw first Hermione, and then Parvarti disappear under the cloak with Ron and Ginny.

He just needed to keep his opponents fully occupied for a few more minutes to make sure the others were well away, and then he would end this and follow them. He ducked Bellatrix's stunner, and kicked his foot out, catching Malfoy in the knee with a satisfying pop. He smiled in triumph, preparing to take out Bellatrix, when a burst of blinding pain shot through his scar and he sank to his knees, fighting to slam his mental shields back into place. He was dimly aware of Bellatrix's cackle of triumph.

"My master approaches, Potter. He has all ready brought you to your knees and soon your precious school will follow," she crowed.

Harry struggled to rise to his feet, only to be knocked back once more, as Malfoy's fist connected with his face. He clutched at his spinning head, struggling to keep the ever increasing pain in his scar at bay. Bellatrix exchanged a malicious smile with Draco.

"Poor baby Potter. Does him wittle head hurt? Let's see if we can make it better, Draco. Crucio!" she cried.

Harry struggled to get away as he felt the searing pain shoot through his body. Every nerve ending burned in agony. That pain became nothing, though, as he was hit with a second curse from Draco. The scream was ripped from his throat. Blackness began to close in on him. He could feel his grasp on reality slipping. Then from the darkness, he heard a hoarse shout, which he latched onto like a lifeline. Suddenly, blissfully, the pain was gone, the light was returning, and Bella and Draco were unconscious on the ground. He felt himself being turned over by a pair of gentle hands, and he looked up into a pair of anguished grey eyes.

"Moony?" he rasped, his throat raw from his screams.

"Oh thank Merlin! I thought I'd lost you too," Remus said, pulling him into a bone crushing hug worthy of Mrs. Weasley. "What the hell do you think you were doing, Harry? You should have waited for the Order. You scared at least ten years off of my life."

"You can lecture me later, Remus. Voldemort is coming. I can feel him. He’s going to attack the school," Harry said. Remus shot him an alarmed look.

"Are you able to stand?' the werewolf asked urgently.

"I think so," Harry replied.

He struggled, with his guardian's help to stagger to his feet. He tried to steady himself while Remus retrieved Ron and Hermione's wands from one of Malfoy's pockets. Harry cursed softly under his breath, as a fresh wave of pain went through his scar and he swayed on his feet. He could've sworn he heard Moony growl, before he was snatched up and carried down the tunnel at full speed.

"Put me down. I can walk," Harry said. His guardian merely shook his head, and continued running.

"Not fast enough, Harry. I know these tunnels like the back of my hand, and speed is of the essence. We've got to alert the castle before Voldemort gets there," Remus said.

They continued through the darkness. Harry was using all his concentration to control both the pain from the lingering affects of the cruciatus curse and the brief burning flashes as the Dark Lord tried to penetrate his mental shields. At last, they reached the tunnel's entrance. They burst through it right into the midst of a group of Order members led by Kingsley Shacklebolt.

"Kingsley! You need to alert the Ministry. Voldemort is on his way. Harry’s been picking up on it. Malfoy and Bellatrix were down in the tunnels and who knows how many death eaters are in Hogsmede,” Remus said as he set Harry down.

"Voldemort?" Kingsley said, taking in both Harry's haggard appearance and Remus' urgency with a glance. "And we have no idea how many people he’s bringing against us?”

“A lot… dementors too. That’s why he kidnapped Ron and Hermione. He wanted me out of the way so I couldn’t drive back the dementors like I did at the Ministry,” Harry answered.

“How long do you think we have before he attacks?” Bill Weasley, who was amongst those accompanying Kingsley, asked.

“Not long… an hour at most,” Harry told them, swaying slightly on his feet.

“Bloody hell, that’s cutting it close,” Bill said. Kingsley nodded his agreement.

“I’m not sure how many people we’ll be able to get here, but we’ll do what we can. I hope your D.A. is as well trained as everyone keeps telling me. We may need them. In the meantime though, I think Harry needs to get to the hospital wing,” Kingsley said, casting Remus a significant look.

"No. This is my fight, Kingsley. He's coming for me. I'm not leaving," Harry said quietly as he visibly gathered himself. Bill shook his head, placing a hand on Harry’s shoulder.

"I know it's your fight Harry, but this isn't the time for you to fight it. When you face him, you need to at least be able to stand up without staggering. Go with Remus to the hospital wing. Ginny, Ron, and Hermione are there. They were frantic and wanted to go back into the tunnels after you. Dumbledore convinced them to let us go instead. I promised my sister that I'd bring you back safe. I have never broken a promise to her, and I don’t intend to start. Now go!" he ordered sounding very like his mum. He turned away from them then, and began placing sealing charms on the tunnels entrance. Kingsley, meanwhile, was pulling a small mirror from his pocket and using it to call for reinforcements. The other Order members began to take up defensive positions around the tunnel, in case the charms Bill was placing should fail.

Very reluctantly, Harry allowed himself to be led to the hospital wing. Every muscle he possessed screamed in agony with each step he took, but he refused to allow Remus to carry him again. He found himself staggering, and knew, loathe as he was to admit it, that Kingsley and Bill were right. Were he to face Voldemort just then, it would be a disaster.. As the doors to the infirmary came into sight, the sound of raised voices could be heard.

"You should not be out of bed yet," the unmistakable voice of Madame Pomfrey said sternly.

"I don't bloody care! Remus and Harry are in danger. If you think that some little bump on the head is going to stop me from protecting my family then you've gone mental, Poppy Pomfrey!" the voice of Nymphadora Tonks echoed down the corridor, followed closely by the determined sound of Hermione Granger.

"If Tonks is going, so are we."

"We're needed to fight, miss. We have to help," Ron said.

"I'm going if I have to blast the doors off their hinges to get there!" Ginny added.

"Now out of the way or I will be forced to stun you," Tonks growled as Harry and Remus pushed open the doors to see a harassed looking Madame Pomfrey with Tonks' wand being waved in her face. Ginny, Hermione, and Ron were standing behind Tonks, determined looks on their faces.

"Why don't you help me get Harry into bed instead, love" Remus said pushing the doors open and having to nearly carry Harry inside.

"Potter, what have you done to yourself now?" Madame Pomfrey asked, hands on her hips.

"He was hit with two simultaneous cruciatus curses," Remus told her, gently helping Harry to the bed.

"Two? He shouldn't even be alive after that. No one has ever survived something like that," Madame Pomfrey gasped, as Ginny paled and Ron and Hermione exchanged concerned glances. "Mental state?"

“I’m fine. Just sore. I really need to get to the D.A.,” Harry said, only to be interrupted by Remus.

"You’re not going anywhere until I say so, Harry,” Remus said before turning back to Madame Pomfrey. “He'll need something for the pain, and I'd say a rejuvenating potion of some sort, as well. I don't suppose you have any of that new one that McCormack over at St. Mungo's came up with for the aurors to use?”

Madame Pomfrey raised an eyebrow as she continued to examine Harry and grabbed various potions for him.

"Keeping up to date with the medical journals I see,” Madame Pomfrey said as she grabbed various potions. “You always were very diligent about that... best student I ever trained. It's a travesty what the Ministry did to you. You have a talent for healing, Remus.”

"Thank you, Poppy. That's in the past, now though. How is he?" Remus said, obviously wishing to change the subject.

"He is fine," Harry growled. "Just patch me up so I can go Madame. The school is about to be attacked. I need to be out there helping to defend it.”

"You'll do no such thing, Potter," Madame Pomfrey said, fixing him with a steely glare.

“She’s right, Harry. You are in no condition to fight,” Ginny said.

“It’s his decision, Ginny,” Ron said. Hermione glared at him, obviously disagreeing with her boyfriend’s assessment.

“Do you want him to go out and get killed, Ronald?” she asked.

“Yes, Hermione. I want my best friend, who just saved both of us from torture, if not death, to get killed,” Ron said sarcastically. “Of course I don’t want anything to happen to him. Voldemort is coming, though. You know as well as I do that Harry would never be able to live with himself if he didn’t fight and people died,” Ron said, falling into their familiar argumentative pattern in their fear and worry.

“Would you two stop talking about me as though I’m not here please?” Harry asked. “Gin, I know you’re worried, but you knew before we started dating that my life is not completely my own. I have to fight tonight. I know I do.”

“I’m afraid, Miss Weasley, that Mr. Potter is right. He is going to be needed, though not to fight Voldemort, not tonight at any rate.”

Those assembled turned towards the source of the sound. The headmaster stood framed in the doorway of the hospital wing. Professor Snape stood slightly behind him holding several thin vials of potion. Ron, Hermione, and Ginny, unconsciously, moved closer to Harry; the latter taking a protective stance in front of him. Harry saw Remus and Tonks exchange a worried glance, however, they obviously decided to hear the headmaster out. Madame Pomfrey, on the other hand, put both hands on her hips and glared at both Dumbledore and Snape.

“Headmaster, you cannot be serious. Potter is suffering the effects of two cruciatus curses. That he is alive is nothing short of a miracle. You honestly don’t expect him to help to defend the castle do you?” Madame Pomfrey said, the tone of her voice speaking loudly of her outrage.

“Yes, Poppy. I do,” he said simply.

“I will not be a party to this,” Madame Pomfrey sniffed, crossing her arms over her chest.

“I understand, Poppy. Severus, if you would.” Snape stepped forward handing one of the potions to Harry, as Madame Pomfrey stormed off to her office, slamming the door behind her.

“Drink it, Potter,” he ordered. Before Harry could raise the bottle to his lips, however, Remus laid a restraining hand on his arm.

“What is it?” Lupin asked. His eyes narrowed in suspicion as he looked at the potions master.

“Oh for Merlin’s sake Lupin! As much as I loathe the boy, do you honestly believe I would poison him with Dumbledore in the same room?” Snape snarled contemptuously.

“I did not say that you would, Severus. I merely asked what it was,” Remus replied mildly. Snape opened his mouth to answer, his eyes flashing darkly. The headmaster cut him off.

“As much as I know you two enjoy baiting each other, we do not have time for it right now. Answer him Severus,” Dumbledore said.

“It is a restorative to replenish his magical energy levels,” Snape bit out. Harry waited for Remus’ nod of approval before downing the potion in a single gulp.

“Eurgh!” Harry couldn’t help but shudder. Snape smirked coldly.

“This one will restore your physical energy levels,” the professor said. At Remus’ nod, Harry drank this one down grimacing. The potion’s master handed him the last one.

“This one is to rid his body of the remainder of the cruciatus curse. It has a rather… unpleasant initial effect,” he said, handing the blood red potion to Harry.

Grimly, he threw back his head and poured the potion Snape had given him down his throat. He felt it burn it’s way down to his stomach, felt the excruciating pain as it’s effects spread throughout him and his body seized. His heart pounded in his chest and he couldn’t draw breath. Ginny saw him grab at his chest and her eyes widened in fear.

“Harry!” Ginny shouted. “Someone help!”

“What the hell was in that potion Snape?” Remus said, grabbing Snape by the front of the robes. Hermione started to fetch Madame Pomfrey, while Ron seemed torn between comforting a panicked looking Ginny and pummeling Snape.

“No, I’m fine. Let him go,” Harry gasped as the effects passed leaving him feeling surprisingly normal and pain free. Remus eyed his ward with concern, but released his childhood enemy.

“Are you sure, Harry?” Hermione said, looking dubious. Harry nodded.

“Although, it definitely qualified as unpleasant,” Harry said, turning to the headmaster. “What is it you need me to do, sir?”

“Traditionally Harry, Hogwarts has been thought to be the most secure building in Britain. This stems primarily from the fact that the wards around the castle have never been breached. That’s not to say that it cannot be done. If enough is thrown against them, they will fall, unless they can be bolstered,” Dumbledore said significantly.

“That’s what you want me to do isn’t it? Help you to sustain the castle’s defenses?” Harry asked.

“No, Harry. I do not want you to help me with it. I want you to sustain them on your own,” Dumbledore said.

“Albus, you honestly don’t think that Harry can do that do you? Not by himself,” Remus protested.

“Yeah,” Tonks agreed. “I know he’s powerful, but that’s some very complicated magic. We learned about the castle’s defenses in auror training. The founders set those wards.”

Harry himself had many of those same thoughts. He didn’t even begin to know how to do what the headmaster asked of him.

“What do I need to do?” he asked warily.

“When the founders set up the castle’s defenses, they put in certain emergency measures which allow the wards to be tied into a single person and sustained by their magic. Usually it’s the headmaster who does this, however, this time I believe it needs to be you.”

“Me?” Harry asked. “Why me? You have more experience with this sort of thing. I would not even know where to begin. Besides, I’m not nearly as powerful as you, sir.”

“That is not true, Harry. I am no more powerful than you, just more experienced. We both have the power to hold the wards in place, only one of us, however, can generate a shield which can destroy dementors,” Dumbledore replied. “The heads of each house and I will actually do the spell to confer control of the shields to you. Once this has been done, you’ll be forced to concentrate solely upon that. We will ensure your safety.”

“We’ll keep you safe mate. No one will come near you with us there,” Ron said bravely. Hermione and Ginny stood to either side of him, in obvious agreement. Dumbledore merely shook his head.

“The Order will stand with Harry tonight. You three have roles to play elsewhere,” Dumbledore said. “My army needs its leaders. As Harry will be occupied, it is up to you to insure that the D.A. is ready when the time comes. Mr. Weasley, you are in charge in Harry’s stead. I believe you’ll find your troops assembled in the room of requirement.” Ron gave the headmaster an incredulous look.

“I’m not sure…” he began, shaking his head. He was interrupted by Harry.

“Ron… you can do this. You’re better at strategy than anyone I know. People will follow you and listen to you,” Harry told him. Ron stood a little straighter at Harry’s words, and gave a determined nod.

“Any orders, General?” Ron asked, a half smile on his face. Harry grinned at him.

“Keep that red head of yours down, and don’t be afraid to ask Hermione or Ginny for advice. Good luck mate, and be careful,” he said, pulling Ron into a brotherly hug, which soon included Hermione.

“Be careful, Harry,” Hermione said.

“You too, and make sure Ron doesn’t do anything stupid,” he added.

“She always does, whether I want her to or not,” Ron grinned. They finally broke their embrace and Harry turned to Ginny.

“I love you,” he said simply. Ginny smiled, although her eyes were suspiciously bright.

“I know. I love you too. If you get yourself killed though, I will never forgive you,” she said, her voice husky.

“We’ll keep him safe, Ginny. I promise,” Tonks said from where she stood near Lupin.

“Touching as this all is, we really should get the spell done, unless, of course, Potter’s love life is more important than the safety of all of the other students in the castle,” Snape said acidly. Remus glared at him.

“They’re kids, Severus, and we’re asking them to put their lives on the line tonight. I think they’re entitled to a little time,” he said.

“I agree, Remus. Most unfortunately however, we have allowed them all the time we can. Let us go,” Dumbledore said, turning and leading the way out of the hospital wing.

A/N: Another chapter down. I hope you enjoyed it. Next chapter will go up ASAP. Thanks as always go to my son Will for beta-ing and Danielle for moderating. Huge thank yous as well to all of my fabulous and faithful readers and reviewers. You guys rock!

Next chapter: The Battle for Hogwarts(really this time… the hospital wing scene took on a life of its own and ended up way longer than I had planned) and yes… the character death I keep threatening (no Pettigrew was not the one I meant).