Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Finally Home by Weasley Mom

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
If possible, I would like Danielle to be the moderator for this. Thank you.

A/N: All the characters contained herein are the property of Ms. Rowling. Please read and review.

Harry really was not sure where to begin looking for Professor Lupin. It was odd. Harry had known him for almost three years, and yet he really felt that he did not know him as well as he should. He knew that Lupin was one of his father and Sirius' best friends. He had always considered the professor to be the quiet, responsible Marauder. Harry knew that Lupin had been bitten by a werewolf when he was very young, and had dealt with it ever since. Now Lupin was his guardian, and Harry felt it was time for him to see the side of the professor his father and Sirius had known. This was, unfortunately, not the only reason that Harry wanted to see him.

Harry had come to a realization last night as he saw the raw grief that Lupin was dealing with over the loss of Sirius. As much as he didn't want to think about it, much less discuss it, Harry had decided that Lupin needed to know what he was getting himself into by being Harry's guardian. Lupin needed to, deserved to, know all of the details of the prophecy. He had loved Sirius too, and should understand exactly why he was taken from them.

Harry sighed, realizing he had been wandering Grimmauld Place aimlessly, lost in his thoughts. He was never going to find Lupin this way. He considered going and asking Mrs. Weasley again, but he was just not in the mood to be mothered right now. On the other hand, he wanted to get this talk over with. Harry sighed again and headed for the kitchen.

On the way there, he passed the open door of the study and saw the man he'd been searching for most of the morning. Lupin was sitting on a large leather couch next to Tonks. They had their heads bent together looking at a photo album.

"When Sirius heard what she'd done to me he turned her hair bright green. Took Narcissa over a month to get it back the way it was." Tonks was saying, grinning with an almost unholy glee at the memory.

Today Tonks wore had shoulder length red hair and sparkiling green eyes. Harry thought she looked rather like pictures of his mum. Lupin was laughing, looking more relaxed than Harry had ever seen him. He almost turned and left, but he knew if he didn't do this now he never would.

Harry cleared his throat, "Professor?"

"Harry!" said Lupin. "How are you?" he asked, his grey eyes mirroring his concern.

"I'm ok. Are you busy? I need to talk to you about something, but I can come back."

"It's allright Harry," Tonks said. "It's time for me to head to the ministry anyway. I'll see you later Remus, Harry." Waving she walked out of the room, closing the door behind her.

"I'm sorry. I didn't want to interrupt..." Harry said.

"It's ok Harry. We were just going through some old photos. Now... you needed to talk to me?" Lupin said gesturing for Harry to sit.

Harry nodded, and sat unsure where to start now that he was here.

Lupin seemed to sense this. "Harry are you concerned about Sirius naming me your guardian?"

Harry blinked in suprise. "No Professor, of course not. I mean, I can't think of anyone else I'd rather have as my guardian."

Lupin smiled a relieved sort of smile. "I'm glad Harry and I think we can drop the professor now. It's always made me feel old anyway. Call me Remus."

Harry nodded. Deciding it was best to just plunge in, Harry took a deep breath, "What do you know about the prophecy that Voldemort was after at the Ministry?"

Remus frowned, caught off guard. "Dumbledore always felt that the contents of the prophecy should remain secret. I know it was about you and Voldemort though."

Harry nodded again. "That's what I was afraid of," he said somewhat bitterly.

"Harry, If I knew what it said I'd tell you. Sirius and I both tried to get Dumbledore to tell us, but..."

"It's ok Remus. I know what it says, although I wish I didn't. That's why I wanted to talk to you. If you're going to be my guardian, you should know what you're getting yourself into."

"What do you mean 'what I'm getting into'. Harry what's going on?" Remus asked starting to look very worried.

Harry sighed. He closed his eyes and began to recite the words which had haunted him since Sirius' death.

The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches... Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies... And the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not... And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives... The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies.

Harry let his voice trail off and opened his eyes. Remus had his head in his hands, which were shaking.

"My God Harry," he said, his eyes wide with shock.

"I'll understand," Harry said quietly, "If you'd rather not be my guardian, I mean... I'm sort of dangerous to be around."

Lupin shook his head and then wrapped Harry in a brief, but fierce hug. The usually quiet professor lifted Harry's chin then and looked him in the eyes, a new determination written on his face. "Harry look at me, because I am only going to say this once. I will never, ever leave you. You are my family, the only family I have left now. As far as I am concerned, James and Sirius were my brothers. You are a part of James, so you are a part of me as well. I would die for you Harry, just as I would have for them. Are we clear?"

Harry could only nod, too choked up to speak. He had never realized the strength and caring which lay under the quiet, shabby exterior of his former professor.

"Who else knows?" Lupin asked.

"Aside from Dumbledore? No one. I'm just not ready to tell anyone else yet."

It was Lupin's turn to nod. "I understand Harry. If you want someone with you when you tell them..."

Harry smiled, greatful for his guardian's support. "Thanks Remus."

Lupin nodded and then looked down rather awkwardly. "Harry, you have been honest with me, so it's only fair that I return the favor. I've been... concerned that maybe you would not want me as your guardian."

"What?" said Harry, shock written on his face. The thought had never even crossed his mind. "Why on earth would you think that?"

Remus smiled a sad little smile. "Sometimes you are very like your mother Harry. She would have been just as puzzled as you are. I'm a werewolf Harry. Remember? There are still alot of places that I am not allowed to go. There are people who would turn away from you because of your association with me. More that that, there are times where I just won't be... available. Like you, I'm sort of dangerous to be around."

Harry looked at the quiet man who had been his father and godfathers best friend. Harry realized the best words of comfort he could offer were the ones which Lupin had used minutes before to comfort Harry.

"Remus, I'm only going to say this once. We're family, the only family we have left. You were a part of my Dad and Sirius, so you are a part of me. Nothing and no one will change that. "

Lupin grinned somewhat sheepishly. "Quite a pair aren't we Harry?"

Harry grinned back nodding.

Lupin decided a change in subject and a distraction for Harry was definately in order, and he knew just the thing. "Come with me Harry. There's something I want to show you."

Puzzled, Harry rose and followed Remus as he led him up the stairs and down the hall into a part of the house he had never seen before. Stopping in front of a plain oak door, Lupin turned to Harry a smile playing about his mouth.

"Last winter and spring, Sirius was extremely bored and exceptionally frustrated at being locked up here with nothing to do. I believe his exact words were... "Moony if I have to stay in this hellhole with nothing else to do but clean for five more minutes I may have to go knock that Umbridge woman on her arse and go take over Hogwarts!"

Harry laughed. He personally would've loved to have seen that.

"Anyway," Remus continued, "we came up with an idea. Sirius worked on it night and day. It was intended as his birthday gift to you Harry, but as you're living here now..."

Lupin raised his wand and placed it on the center of the door. "I solemnly swear I am up to no good." The door swung slowly inward.


Muhahaha! Evil Cliffhanger. Hope you liked this chapter. I just felt like Remus and Harry needed to get to know each other a little better. Please review! Thanks.