Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Finally Home by Weasley Mom

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
All of the characters conatined herein are the property of Ms. Rowling.

Harry awoke slowly to the warm yellow glow of the hospital wing's lamps. He frowned drowsily to himself, trying to remember what had happened. He didn't feel injured really, more achy and indescribably tired. He must've been sick. It would certainly explain the bizarre dreams he'd had. In one he had seen a distraught Neville Longbottom being comforted by Professor Snape of all people. A second one had featured a group of Slytherins sitting peacefully at the Gryffindor table eating. The last one he could recall was of a newly reborn Fawkes. He was standing on his perch trilling a song of heartrending sadness while tears trickled down into newly forming plummage. He wondered again both why and how he had landed himself in the hospital wing this time. Turning to his left, he saw the blurry outline of someone near his bed.

"Headmaster?" he croaked out. He felt his glasses being pressed gently to his face, as Remus Lupin came into focus. Beside him, sat a relieved looking Molly Weasley.

"I'm afraid not, Harry," his guardian said in his familiar hoarse voice. "How do you feel?"

"Like I've run a marathon and then been trampled by an entire herd of hippogriffs. How did I get here?" he said with a slight grimace.

"I carried you. You collapsed after the battle. We think that it was exhaustion," Remus said.

At Lupin's words, Harry's memories came back in a great flood. The fight with Malfoy to save Ron and Hermione... the agony and guilt in Remus' eyes as he talked about killing Pettigrew... the raw surge of power and knowledge he had been hit with when he was linked with the castle... and finally Dumbledore fighting with Voldemort, being surrounded in a halo of green light, and collapsing, lifeless to the floor. He shook his head in denial as he was hit with yet another onslaught of images and a cacophony of sound, this time from outside of himself. Gasping, he clapped his hands over his ears as he fought to slam his mental shields back into place.

"I'm telling you, Seamus, this is only the beginning. He'll be back," said Dean Thomas as he lay upside down on his bed in the sixth year boys dorm.

"I heard Potter has been sent to St. Mungo's. He-who-must-not-be-named hit him with a cruciatus and his completely nutters now," said a first year Hufflepuff to a group of his friends as they sat in the Hufflepuff common room playing exploding snap.

"But what if he never wakes up," sobbed Ginny Weasley as Hermione and Ron tried to comfort her. They were sitting with a large group of Harry's closest friends and those he considered family.

"Don't worry, sis. He will wake up. He has to," Ron said, putting an arm around her.


"Harry!" Molly Weasley exclaimed.

"What is it Pronglet? Harry!" Remus demanded frantically. "Molly go get Poppy!"

"No," Harry managed to get out. "I'm fine."

"You don't look fine," Molly Weasley snapped.

"I am. I promise. I just got a bit overloaded for a minute. All of the memories of last night came back and I let my shields drop. I could hear everyone inside the castle all at once. It was just a bit much is all," he said.

"Are you sure, Harry?" Remus asked doubtfully. Harry nodded.

"Positive, although for a minute I was starting to think they were right," he replied.

"They?" Remus asked, raising a quizzical eyebrow.

"Apparently the current gossip is that I've gone completely mental and been shipped off to St. Mungo's," Harry said wryly. Despite himself, Remus gave a snort of laughter.

"This is not a laughing matter, Remus Lupin," Mrs. Weasley said sternly. Harry and Remus both looked immediately contrite.

"You're right, Mrs. Weasley. I'm sorry. It's not really funny, but I'm at the stage now where it's laugh or cry. Speaking of which, could you find Ron, Hermione, and Ginny and let them know that I'm awake and ok please?" Harry said turning pleading green eyes on her. Molly's features immediately softened.

"Of course, dear. We just sent them out to get some sleep right before you woke. They've been here since you were brought in and the whole lot of them were exhausted," she said. With that, Molly left to get the others, but not before wrapping him in one of her fierce hugs. Remus waited until she was gone before turning accusing eyes on Harry.

"Perhaps I should have named you after Padfoot instead," he said. Harry blinked innocently back at his guardian.

"What? Ginny really is upset and crying. I'm worried about her," he said.

"And?" Remus prompted, giving his ward a very pointed look.

"And... I really need to know what has been happening while I was out and did not want to fight with Mrs. Weasley to find out," Harry admitted sheepishly.

Remus sighed, studying him carefully. Harry still looked dreadfully tired, although his green eyes were lively. Remus hated to be the one to place the burden on him, but, whether Harry fully realized it or not, though not yet seventeen, he would, most likely, be the leader of the Order now. With that in mind, Remus did what he would have done for Dumbledore. He carefully ordered his thoughts and gave an organized briefing on the information that they had.

"We've taken all of the injured death-eaters into custody. Most of the enemy who died have been identified. There were a few suprises and a few new leads. Kingsley has his aurors on it. We did some pretty significant damage to their side. We captured around twenty and, mainly due to the centaurs and the spiders joining in, killed probably thirty more. No one has seen any sign of the dementors since you drove them off," Lupin told him. Harry nodded, considering this.

"What about the Slytherins who joined in?" he asked.

"Many of them have disappeared," Remus answered.

"They've gone to join him, no doubt. I wish, for Dumbledore, that we would've been able to redeem more. What about our losses?" he said, dreading Remus' answer.

"Fifteen students sent to St. Mungo's. Ten died. The aurors lost roughly twenty people, and the Order lost five," his guardian told him.

"Who?" Harry demanded softly.

"The students? Susan Bones, Michael Corner, Justine Markham, Lavender Brown, Kara Marchbanks, Marietta Edgecomb, Amber Fortescue, Zacharias Smith, Martha Donaldson, and Cho Chang," Lupin said gently. Harry closed his eyes, blocking out the images of those he'd known well. He tried to ease his grief somewhat by remembering how Cho had mourned Cedric. At least they were together now.

"What about the Order?" he asked, his voice rough with tears he refused to shed.

"Emmeline Vance, Mundungus Fletcher, Dedalus Diggle, Kendra Donaughue, and Oliver Wood," the werewolf said, his voice sorrowful. Harry bowed his head. He'd known them all, some better than others. He thought of 'Dung smoking his smelly pipe in the kitchen in Grimmauld Place as he shared some ribald story with Sirius and the twins. He thought of Oliver Wood, his face flushed and eyes flashing as he gave one of his fanatical pre-match pep talks. He had been the one to teach Harry how to play quidditch, and now he was gone.

"Anything else I need to know before Mrs. Weasley comes back with the others?" Harry said, tiredly rubbing his scar. Remus' expression hardened.

"The press is, of course, causing problems. Rita Skeeter is calling for the school to close. Madame Bones is trying to prevent it. Skeeter hasn't got much public support. There is a lot of shock over the loss of Dumbledore though, so who knows what the next few days may bring," Lupin replied. Harry had sat up at his guardian's words, a fierce light in his eye.

"This school will close over my dead body, even if I have to publicly reassure everyone myself," he said. "As long as we have students willing to attend, the doors will remain open."

"Calm down. We won't let the school be closed. I just thought you should know what's being said," Remus reassured him, forcing him to lay back down..

"I'm sorry, Remus. It's just... he died to save the school. I can't let his death be in vain," Harry said. Tears stood in his eyes, but he blinked them back. He had to be strong for everyone else, the way Dumbledore had been.

Remus frowned in concern. Harry may be their leader now, but he was also a sixteen year old boy who had just lost someone very close to him. He needed to mourn. Lupin knew first hand how unhealthy bottling up things like grief could be. He was not about to let Harry go through what he had.

"Harry..." he began only to be interrupted as the hospital doors were thrown open and the Weasleys, Hermione, and Tonks entered. Remus gave his ward a look which clearly stated that they had more to discuss. Harry ignored it and focused instead on his girlfriend who was leaning down to kiss him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry remained in the hospital wing until late the next afternoon when Madame Pomfrey saw fit to release him. He had been visited by most of the members of the D.A., as well as everyone he knew from the Order. Between Tonks, Mrs. Weasley, Hermione, and Ginny, he had been mothered so much that even he, who had suffered from a severe lack of mothering, was starting to feel smothered.

As soon as the school's nurse had informed Remus that his ward would be released, he had sent out word that a meeting of the Order would be held at Hogwarts. Ron, Hermione, and Ginny would be allowed to attend because of the key roles that they had played in the battle and the events leading up to it. Aside from that, getting any of them to leave Harry's side since he had awoken was nearly impossible. For his part, Lupin was still very concerned about Harry. He had yet to allow himself to grieve, at least in front of anyone else. Nymphadora had persuaded him to let the matter lie for now, however, reminding him that Harry needed to be allowed to mourn in his own way and his own time. Nevertheless, Remus found himself watching Harry carefully as they sat assembled in the headmaster's office awaiting the start of the meeting. He was brought out of his reverie by the sound Alastor Moody clearing his throat.

"I believe everyone is here," the auror said, his magical blue eye scanning those gathered in the room. "I know that you're all aware of the events which happened here two nights ago. Thanks to our constant vigilence, we were able to successfully defend the castle against a full scale attack by Voldemort's forces. Between those that were captured and those who were killed, the attack cost the other side more than fifty death eaters. In addition, thanks to Potter, the dementors were driven off. We have any new information about them Lupin?"

"No, Alastor. There haven't been any reported sightings of them since the battle, whether they're hiding from Harry or Voldemort though we don't know," Remus answered.

"What about our losses, Moody?" asked a short witch toward the back of the crowd.

"Twenty aurors, ten students, and five Order Members in addition to Dumbledore," Moody replied sadly. As if the mention of his name had opened a floodgate, questions started pouring forth.

"How did he die?"

"How can we possibly hope to defeat Voldemort now with Dumbledore gone?"

"Who is going to lead us?"

Harry listened to the chaos surrounding him, as people began to argue over who should lead and what the best plan of action was. He watched as Moody and Lupin tried to regain control of the meeting. He saw Percy and Bill Weasley in a heated discussion, as well as Professors McGonagall and Snape. Even Hagrid seemed to have joined in, arguing with tiny Professor Flitwick of all people. The Order appeared to be disintegrating before his eyes. Determinedly, Harry rose.

"Enough!" he said, allowing just enough of his power to show through that a faint golden glow could be seen eminating from him. Everyone ceased their arguing to stare at Harry. "Dumbledore did not make the sacrifices that he did for us to fall apart like this. Surely there is a chain of command of some sort put in place should the Order's leader die. Moody?"

"Well...now...there is...but..." Moody answered looking doubtful.

"But?" Harry prompted. It was Lupin, however, who answered.

"Harry, how much do you know about the Order's history?" he asked. Harry shrugged.

"I know it was started during the first war and that Dumbledore brought it back after Voldemort was revived," Harry said. Lupin nodded.

"The Order was very active during the first war, Harry, however, it is much older than that. It's roots go back almost to the founding of Hogwarts itself. Traditionally, the Order has been a group of warriors of the light, for lack of better word. The first Order was started by the first Protector to defend not only the school, but the entire wizarding community during times of strife. It has always been led by the Hogwarts' Protector," Moony said looking significantly at him. Harry's eyes widened as the information sunk in.

"I see," he said, his mind racing.

He was not Dumbledore. He was a sixteen year old boy who hadn't even known the wizarding community existed until he was eleven. He was also, however, the instrument of a great and terrible prophecy. He was the only one who could defeat Voldemort. He was the Hogwarts Protector. Closing his eyes, he allowed himself to feel the castle and those in it. It had a strangely calming effect upon him, and he knew what it was that he needed to do. He opened his eyes and straightened to his full height, allowing himself to draw upon the school to interject the necessary authority into his words.

"As current Hogwarts' Protector, I claim my role as leader of the Order of the Phoenix," Harry said, his green eyes defying anyone to deny him. Naturally, it was Snape who spoke up.

"Don't be ridiculous, Potter. You are barely capable of passing my class. What makes you think you can lead the Order?" Snape hissed.

"I hardly think that Harry's potion skills have any relevence here, Severus. He has lead the D.A. for two years now and he is the Protector," Professor McGonagall said. Snape's eyes flashed angrily.

"Leading a group of students in play fighting is hardly the same as leading the Order, Minerva," Snape scoffed.

"Play fighting?" Ginny Weasley demanded hotly. "Were the ten of us who died play fighting? We played just as much of role defending Hogwarts as the Order did, Professor, and you know it. Who do you think trained us? Harry is a great leader, and he is more than capable of leading the Order."

"He's only sixteen though. He shouldn't even be in the Order, let alone leading it," Molly Weasley spoke. "The fact that ten children died yesterday proves that point. You all should have been safely in your common rooms, away from the battle."

"Mum, if we were safe in our common rooms, the castle would have fallen and we would not be alive to have this discussion right now," Ginny said. "We may be young, but we're not children anymore. It's time you accepted that."

"Ginevra Molly Weasley! You listen to me..." Mrs. Weasley said, her hands on her hips and her eyes flashing. Ginny struck a nearly identical pose to her mother.

"No, mother. I won't," Ginny said defiantly. The Weasley men in the room all took a collective step back.

"Twenty galleons on Ginny," Fred whispered to George. Charlie snorted.

"I've got fifteen on, Mum. She's got the experience," he whispered. All whispering subsided when Molly and Ginny directed twin glares at them.

"Gin... Mrs. Weasley, this is neither the time nor the place for this," Harry said, bravely stepping between them, before turning to the rest of the Order. "I know I'm young and fairly inexperienced. I'm not, however, stupid, nor am I egotistical enough to think that I can just walk in and lead. I know enough to rely on the advice of those more experienced than myself."

"He'll never be capable of filling Dumbledore's shoes," Snape snarled, the raw emotion in his dark eyes taking them all by suprise.

"I'd never try to, sir. There will never, ever be another man like Albus Dumbledore," Harry said quietly.

"Perhaps you've forgotten Severus, that it was Dumbledore who chose Harry to be the Protector. He knew exactly all the implications that the title carried with it. He chose Harry as his successor," Remus said in a deceptively soft voice. His calm demeanor seemed to infuriate the professor even more. Moody moved quickly to interrupt before an all out battle erupted between the former school rivals.

"Right then. If there is no further discussion, we'll put it to a vote. Those in favor?" Moody asked. The majority of the Order members raised their hands, although there were two others besides Snape who did not. Both of them were older wizards whom Harry had only met a handfull of times.

"Motion carried. It looks like the wizarding world is in your hands, Potter," Moody said.

"Merlin help us then. Everyone the boy touches dies. His parents, his mutt of a godfather, and now Dumbledore. He died to protect you. He's gone because of you." Snape snarled his voice trembling with supressed emotion. Harry recoiled as though slapped, hanging his head.

Those who were well aquainted with Harry immediately protested. The Weasleys, particularly Molly and Ginny, looked murderous. Hagrid stood, galring at the head of Slytherin with open hostility. Tonks was being restrained by Bill and Charlie while a livid looking Lupin was advancing on the potion's master. Harry reached out a hand, stopping him.

"No, Remus. He's right," he said. Lupin turned to look at him. Tears trailed down Harry's cheeks as he at last allowed his giref to show. "Dumbledore did die for me. He died for all of us, but he isn't gone. Those who love us never truly leave us, and he loved you like a son Professor Snape. He's still there for you, if you'll let him in."

Snape looked at Harry, his mouth opening and closing soundlessly several times before he turned and left the room in a swirl of dark robes. Harry closed his eyes, sighing sadly before wiping away his tears. He realized abruptly that he was in a room full of people, a fact that he seemed to have forgotten in the emotions of the moment.

"Should umm...someone go after him?" Hermione said tentatively. Harry shook his head.

"No. This is something that he needs to deal with on his own," he replied.

Harry walked around the headmasters desk, placing his hand for a moment on the back of Dumbledore's chair, before waving his wand and conjuring one of his own. He carefully set it beside the desk and sat down, leaving the headmaster's spot, conspiciously empty.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumbledore's funeral was held the following day on the Hogwarts grounds. Harry, dressed in his best school robes, was forced to stand next to Madame Bones, who seemed to think it necessary that he be introduced to all of the dignitaries who were in attendance. Most of the major wizarding communities in the world had sent representatives, as well as most of the more prominent institutions of magical education. Madame Maxime was there, doing her best to comfort a grief stricken Hagrid and, much to Ron's chagrin, Viktor Krum came to represent Durmstrang.

In addition to the veritable who's who of the rich and powerful of the wizarding world, a rather eclectic group of Dumbledore's former students and friends were in attendance as well. Florean Fortescue greeted Harry warmly, if somewhat sadly. He also was introduced to Luna's father, the proprietor of The Quibbler. Mr. Lovegood had dark hair and Luna's oddly protuding eyes. One of the last ones to arrive had been Mr. Ollivander.

"I told you that you would do great things Mr. Potter," he said simply, staring at Harry with his peculiar luminous eyes for a moment before moving on.

At last, Harry was able to slip away from Madame Bones and seat himself nervously between Ginny and Ron amongst the other Gryffindors. Remus had informed him, the night before, that he would be expected to say a few words. Harry had been at a loss, unable to put his feelings for Dumbledore into words. He still was unsure exactly what he would say. He was rather hoping inspiration would arrive before he actually had to talk. About an hour before sunset, Dumbledore's brother Aberforth walked to the podium which had been erected.

"On behalf of the family, I would like to thank everyone for coming. Albus was my older brother. It was not easy for me growing up in the shadow of someone like him. He was a hero, a mentor, a person who shaped the lives of hundreds of people. To me, however, he was the big brother who taught me how to play quidditch. He was the slob with the odd affection for muggle sweets who left candy wrappers around our room that our mum made me clean up. He was the one who got me out of the spot of trouble I got into when a couple of friends of mine and I decided that putting a talking goat into muggle farmer's barn would be an hilarious prank. Despite how busy he was, and the lofty position he held, he was never ashamed of me, never missed our regular Sunday visits. I love you Albie. I'll miss you," he said, tears streaming down his face.

After Aberforth, several important officials got up, each of them with a memory of Dumbledore and a recitation of everything from his work with Flamel to his defeat of Grindewald. Several Order members spoke as well. Moody gave a humorous account of the time, in their youth, that he and Dumbledore had been sent to deal with a rogue dragon in Ireland that had turned out to be some Muggles playing an elaborate hoax on some tourists. Hagrid had gone next, but been unable to say much as he was too choked by tears. Professor McGonagall told them how she had once caught the headmaster in the kitchen eating ice cream sundaes at one o'clock in the morning with a particularly mischievious group of students. He'd been having an eating contest with two of the boys. The headmaster had won, but all three of them had ended up with an ice cream headache. Harry couldn't help but glance over to where his guardian sat with the other Order members. As he'd suspected, Remus was grinning at the memory. McGonagall finished and returned to her seat as Remus rose and walked to the front.

"For those of you who don't know, my name is Remus Lupin. I was both a student and a professor here at Hogwarts. I met Albus Dumbledore for the first time when he came to deliver my Hogwarts letter to me. I know that is far from the usual procedure, but I was not your normal prospective student either. You see, I'm a werewolf. I was bitten as a very young child and, the world being what it is, I never thought I would be able to attend school with normal children. Until, that is, the day Professor Dumbledore came to my door." Remus paused for a moment and his gaze became unfocused, as though he were seeing again the day his letter had come..

"I remember thinking that he had the kindest eyes that I had ever seen on anyone. He asked me if my mother was home. I said that she was and went to fetch her. He told us then that he had just been made headmaster of Hogwarts and that he had heard of my rather unusual circumstances. He had come by to reassure my mum that I would have a place at the school. Mum was delighted. I hadn't seen her smile in so long and she was beaming. Then Dumbledore did something that I will never forget. He touched me. It was a simple gesture... a reassuring pat as he left, but it meant the world to me. It was the first time since I had been bitten that anyone who was aware of my condition had willingly done that. That simple careless touch opened up a whole world for me," he said.

"Once at school, I met three people who would become as brothers to me. My life was made so much better by their prescence in it. I was able to have the kind of life that other teenagers did, except for the one night a month that I transformed. His kindness to me did not end when I was no longer at school, however. When, due to some of the werewolf regulations which were passed, I was unable to become a healer as I had dreamed of doing, he found positions for me as a tutor. Eventually, he even allowed me to teach at Hogwarts. It was Dumbledore who helped me to cope when, during the first war, I lost the three people closest to me in the whole world all in the same night. Albus Dumbledore literally gave me a shot at life, and that is something that I can never ever thank him for," Remus finished. He left the podium and sat down next to Tonks, who immediately pulled him into her arms where he broke down.

Harry took a deep breath, realizing it was his turn to speak. He walked silently to the front, scanning the crowd assembled. There were many faces he recognized, and a few he didn't. All of them bore the signs of grief, except for one. Professor Snape was sitting amongst the other professors, his face cold and empty. He'd refused to speak at the funeral. He hadn't planned on attending until McGonagall made him. Deciding that he'd never make it through this speech if he had to look at Snape, Harry focused instead on Ginny, Ron, and Hermoine for a moment before opening his mouth to speak.

"Nitwit, blubber, oddment, tweak. Those are amongst the first words that I ever heard the headmaster say. It was during the welcome feast in my first year. I was sitting there awed by the castle and the magical world as a whole, when Dumbledore got up and welcomed us to the school with those words. I remember leaning over and asking Percy Weasley if he was mad. Percy's response was to say that Dumbledore was a genius. The best wizard in the world, but yes, he was a bit mad. Then he asked me if I wanted some potatoes as if it was the most normal thing in the world." Harry paused and snuck a quick glance at Percy. The middle Weasley child had a sad smile on his face, as though he too was remembering that particular speech.

"Over the course of the last six years of my schooling, I've come to know Dumbledore as more than just my slightly mad but brilliant headmaster. He became for me my protector, my mentor, and my friend. He did his best to insure that despite my unusual circumstances, I had as normal a childhood as he was able to provide. More importantly however, he helped me to learn the importance of love and family and allowed me to make my own mistakes, and believe me when I say I have made them. Probably the most precious thing he ever gave me though was something few people were allowed, a glimpse at the true Albus Dumbledore." Harry was forced to pause again as he fought back tears.

"As I first year, out doing things I shouldn't have, I found the Mirror of Erised and was, as so many before me, inexorably drawn to it. The headmaster found me in front of it one night and explained to me what it was and why it could be so dangerous. For some reason, and I'll never know why, I felt the need to ask him what he saw when looking at it. Rather than tell me to mind my own business as most adults would have, he smiled at me and said, 'I see myself holding a pair of thick woolen socks.' The most brilliant wizard in the world and the deepest desire of his heart was a pair of warm socks. That was Dumbledore," Harry said, feeling tears begin to trail down his face.

"Yes, he was the hero who defeated Grindewald, the wise and powerful wizard who even Voldemort feared, and the brilliant scholar and statesman, but to those of us who knew him, he was so much more. He was a man who loved unconditionally and accepted people without question. He believed that everyone deserved a second chance be they pureblood, muggleborn, half-giant, werewolf, reformed death eater, or even a frightened and grief stricken fifteen year old boy who in a fit of rage destroyed his office,"he said. His voice was hoarse with emotion, but he was determined not to break down until after he had said all he needed to say.

"He meant so much to me and to so many others, my parents and godfather included. I will miss him for his sage advice and his dedication to doing what was right, but even more so for the twinkle in his eyes when he was amused, the lemon drops that he never failed to offer, and those quirky, nonsensical start of term speeches which were always the signal to me that I was home at Hogwarts."

" On behalf of myself, your students, staff, and all of those who loved you, goodbye Professor. I hope..." Harry had to stop and swallow hard several times. He took a breath and bravely continued. "I hope that wherever you are now, you have an endless supply of your favorite sweets and a thick pair of wool socks."

Shakily he stepped down from the podium and walked to the dias upon which the white coffin which contained Dumbledore's body lay. Moody, Remus, Hagrid, Snape, Aberforth, and Mr. Weasley joined him. At a nod from Moody, Harry and the others muttered the incantation to levitate the coffin and led the way to the shores of the lake. Behind them walked the Minister of Magic and other heads of state, closely followed by the Hogwarts staff, the Order members, and the headmaster's friends. Bringing up the rear was the entire student body. They walked to the lake in a silence broken only by the periodic cries of the mourners.

Once there, they laid the coffin on a white barge which had been waiting in the water. One by one, the pallbearers touched their wands to the coffin... first Aberforth, then Moody, then Hagrid, Lupin, Harry, and finally, his hand visibly shaking, despite the still stoic expression upon his face, Snape. The coffin ignited and, as though pushed by an invisible wind, the barge began to float slowly out into the lake. As the boat reached the center of the lake, Fawkes appeared in a burst of flame. Slowly, on newly formed plummage, he circled the floating pyre singing a song of heartbreaking sadness as the fire burned away the mortal remains of Albus Dumbledore.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two days after Dumbledore's funeral, the decision was made by the board of governors, in light of the attack upon the school, to close Hogwarts for the summer. Students, rather than traveling home via the Hogwarts express as normal, would be taking portkeys to secure locations set up by the Ministry. Harry, though unhappy with the early closure, had decided not to fight it. He was saving his arguments in case the board felt the need to shut down the school completely. Should they attempt to do that, Harry intended to show them just why he was the only person to have ever faced Voldemort six times and live.

The day of their scheduled departure Harry was sitting on his bed watching as Neville searched the room for Trevor the Toad. Currently, all that was visible of his friend were his shoes as he was stretched out under Ron's bed.

"Honestly Nev, why don't you leave that thing home next year. He's always hopping off," Ron said lazily popping a chocolate frog into his mouth. Neville poked his dust bunny covered head out from beneath the bed.

"Because Gran would tell me that I'm being rude. Trevor was a gift, besides, looking for him gives me an excuse to sneak into a lot of places I otherwise wouldn't get to see," Neville replied grinning.

"Why Neville Longbottom, I am shocked. Perhaps we should mention it to Professor McGonagall," Ron teased much to Dean and Seamus' amusement.

"You do and I'll mention to Hermione that calender your brothers bought you for Christmas," Neville said innocently. Ron paled several shades and put his hands up in surrender. Chuckling to himself, Neville continued his search under Dean's bed.

"You better hurry up Neville," Dean said. "We've only got about a half hour before we have to leave."

"A half an hour? Rotten toad. I'll never be able to find him in that amount of time," Neville's muffled voice said from under the bed.

"He's not in here," Harry said closing his eyes and concentrating for a moment. "Flitwick's office, behind the garbage can." Ignoring the shocked stares of his room mates, he snatched one of Ron's chocolate frogs and went off to Hagrid's where he knew Remus and Tonks were. Ron followed him.

"How did you do that?" Ron asked once they had left the common room behind. Harry shrugged.

"Since they did that spell to bind me to the castle I can sort of sense things. If I concentrate hard enough on someone, I can almost see them," he replied.

"Wicked!" Ron exclaimed. "Where's Hermione?" Harry concentrated on her for a moment.

"In her dorm. She's trying to cram all her books into her trunk. There is no way they're going to fit. She's going to have to shrink them," he said matter of factly.

"What about Ginny?" Ron asked. Harry turned his thoughts to her and immediately turned a brilliant shade of red.

"Shower," he said shortly.

"What! You just saw my sister in the shower?" Ron shouted, earning stares from a group of passing fourth year Hufflepuffs.

"Shut up, mate. Do you want the whole castle to hear? It was your idea anyway," Harry hissed.

"No more concentrating on my sister, got it?" Ron ordered.

"Only in emergencies," Harry promised.

The boys made their way out the front doors and headed across the grounds to Hagrid's where, as Harry had sensed, they found Remus and Tonks. They were standing in Hagrid's garden talking quietly. Hagrid wasn't there. He was up at the castle assisting the heads of house in sending the students home.

"Harry, Ron, shouldn't you two be packing?" Remus asked as they approached. Harry shook his head while Ron rolled his eyes.

""Mione made us do that last night. Didn't follow her own advice though," Ron said grumpily, still miffed over the incident with Ginny.

"You and Hermione have another fight again, Ron?" Tonks asked. Ron shook his head. Harry blushed.

"I have a feeling we're missing something," Remus said. "Don't suppose either of you are willing to tell me what are you?"

"Not in this lifetime," Harry replied.

"I thought as much. Just tell me this, it doesn't involve anyone dying or do something illegal does it?" Remus asked. Both boys shook their heads. "Right then. So, did you need anything in particular Harry or did you two just happen by?"

"Actually, I was just wondering if you'd perhaps changed your mind about letting me fly back to London on the bike?" Harry asked, turning his best puppy dog eyes on his guardian. Remus just shook his head.

"No chance, Pronglet. It is just too dangerous for you to fly the bike all that way by yourself," Remus said.

"Oh come on, Remus. Please," Harry pleaded.

"He's right, Harry. We still have no idea what Moldy Voldy is up too right now, and there still hasn't been any sign of the dementors. It's not safe," Tonks said.

"We have, however, decided that you should have the bike in London with you," Remus said, with a mischievious grin.

"But, how... You're going to fly it?" Harry said incredulously. Ron snorted.

Neither of them could see their professor flying the powerful bike. Moony just grinned in answer, pulling off his outer robe to reveal a black dragon hide jacket. On the back, in silver letters the word "Marauders" was stitched. Beneath it was the picture of a very lifelike silver wolf. Under the wolf, in the same stitching as the first word, was written "Moony".

"Woah," Ron said. "Where'd you get that?"

"Sirius had them made for all of us when he got the bike. I'm not sure what happened to everyone else's," Moony said over his shoulder as he wheeled the bike out of Hagrid's shed and climbed on. Tonk's quickly tapped her robe changing it into a black dragonhide jacket of her own. This one had a slightly smaller silver wolf on the back and the word "Tonks" in the same stitching as Remus'. Grinning, she winked at Harry and Ron and climbed up behind her fiancee.

"We'll see you boys back at Grimmauld Place," Moony said. Harry nodded.

"Have a good flight. Make sure you remember the emergency booster, and watch the turns, the stearing is a little sticky. I need to work on that this summer. Oh and..." he said. Remus threw back his head and laughed.

"You're worse than Sirius was about this thing. I solemnly swear that I will not put so much as a scratch on it, now get up to the castle before you two miss your portkey," he ordered. With that, he started the bike and took off with a roar and a delighted whoop of joy from Tonks. They wheeled the bike in a loop out over the Forbidden Forest and across the lake, disappearing against the distant horizon. When they could no longer be seen, Harry and Ron returned to the castle where they were met by Hermione and Ginny.

"Where have you two been? Our portkeys will be leaving any minute," Hermione said, tapping her foot impatiently.

"Sorry Hermione. It's my fault. We were just saying good-bye to Remus and Tonks," Harry said.

"Yes, well, we need to hurry, come on grab your trunks," Hermione snapped. Behind her back Ginny rolled her eyes.

"She had to leave some books behind," she whispered to Harry as they made their way down to the Great Hall where they would be leaving from. They arrived just in time. Hermione's portkey was getting ready to depart. She would be spending the first few weeks of summer with her family before returning to Grimmauld Place in time for Remus and Tonks' wedding.

"I'll miss you. Make sure to owl me, and do be careful," she said, tears in her eyes as she wrapped both Harry and Ginny in quick hugs.

She then turned to Ron, kissing him soundly and leaving him with a bright red ears and a slightly vacant expression. Waving once more, she grabbed the portkey Professor Flitwick was offering and disappeared as it activated.

Harry, Ginny, and Ron would all be returning to Grimmauld Place. A special portkey had been made for their use which would take them directly to Order headquaters. Harry looked around one last time at the Great Hall remembering all that had happened this year and realizing how much he had changed. Closing his eyes, he reached out to the school.

"I'll be back," he silently promised, receiving a surge of warmth and love through the connection.

Feeling Ginny's tiny hand slip into his, he opened his eyes and smiled down at her, as Ron put an arm around his shoulder.

"Come on, mate. Time to go home," Ron said, steering him over to where Moody waited with their portkey.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ The End ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



A/N: TA-DA! There you go all... the final chapter of Finally Home. I can not express enough my appreciation for all of you who have stuck with this story for so long. It has been quite a process for me personally, but thanks to all of you, and all of the truly wonderful reviews you have given me, it has been completely worth all of the effort that I put into it. Thank you seems completely inadequate, but thank you anyway.

Thanks as always go out to the hardworking Danielle who not only approved my stories but took the time to give me input on them as well. She is, in my humble opinion, the best mod on the site.

I also need to thank my son Will who was my beta for most of the story. He not only read through all my chapters and all my rough drafts but suffered through hour after hour of me bouncing ideas off of him and my whining when the plot bunnies were being unkind.

I hope that everyone enjoyed the story. I will be writing a sequel, as soon as I figure out where I want to go with it.

Thank you again and my undying gratitude,

Cindy
aka
Weasley Mom


AUTHOR'S NOTE ADDENDUM: For those who have asked... the sequel to this story is titled From the Ashes. The first chapter of it is up and can be found under the general fics category.