Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Finally Home by Weasley Mom

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: I really wish I could say I owned these characters, however, they all belong to Ms. Rowling.



The next few weeks passed by in a blur for Harry. True to his word, Dumbledore set him a vigorous training schedule. His mornings were occupied by occlumency sessions with either Lupin or the headmaster himself. Harry's elation at not having these lessons with Snape passed quickly, however, as he generally left them with his head pounding. His occlumency was improving greatly despite this, and he could, for the most part, block both of his instructors from invading his memories. He also noticed that, as Dumbledore had said, he was now able to keep a much tighter reign on his emotions.

His afternoons, in contrast, were spent learning various forms of non-magical combat in his room of requirement under the close supervision of Moody. Either Tonks or Kingsley, and sometimes both, assisted with these lessons. Harry seemed to have a natural ability that made these sessions much more enjoyable to him then his morning ones. He knew he had impressed both of the younger aurors with not only his speed and agility, but how quickly he picked up what they were teaching him. Harry suspected he had even earned a grudging respect from Moody, although the old man still preached constant vigilence.

Before Harry knew it, the morning of his birthday dawned, bright and clear. Harry stretched and yawned, smiling to himself. He had been given today off in order to properly celebrate, and Harry was looking forward to some much needed relaxation with his friends. He grinned as he heard Ron snoring from the couch. Putting his glasses on, Harry got quietly out of bed and tiptoed over to his sleeping friend. Using the tassle from one of the pillows, he tickled Ron's nose.

"Mmmm... 'Mione... stoooop," mumbled Ron sleepily.

"Urgh!" Harry said, abandoning the gentle approach and whacking Ron in the head with the pillow.

"Hey!" said Ron sitting up. "What was that for?"

"You were talking in your sleep... again."

"I do NOT talk in my sleep," Ron said indignantly.

"Ohhhh 'Mione," said Harry grinning and making kissy noises.

WHAM! Ron hit Harry in the head with one of the other pillows.

"You realize, " Harry said dramatically, "that this means war Weasley?"

"Bring it on Potter," said a grinning Ron.

The air was soon filled with flying pillows, several of which burst open scattering feathers everywhere. In the midst of this, Hermione and Ginny walked in to see if the boys were ready for breakfast.

"What exactly do you two think you are doing?" Hermione asked in her best prefect voice.

"Mum is going to kill you," Ginny added trying to hide her amusement.

Harry cocked an eyebrow at Ron, who nodded, grinning.

"Attack!" Harry cried flinging pillows at Ginny. Ron, meanwhile, was chasing Hermione across the room, and soon had her tackled on the couch.

"Victory!" Ron declared leaning down and kissing a giggling Hermione.

Harry, on the other hand, was beginning to realize the folly of initiating a pillow fight with a girl who had six older brothers. She had very deviously maneuvered Harry so that he was backed against the edge of his bed.

"Ha! Give it up Harry, you know I have you," Ginny declared, smacking him once more with her pillow for good measure.

"Oh really?" he said and, using a move Tonks had taught him, quickly grabbed Ginny and reversed their positions, pinning her on the bed.

"Tsk, tsk Ms. Weasley. You forgot rule number one. Constant vigilence! I win," he said smiling down at her. Ginny looked up at him smiling, he cheeks flushed, her hair spread out around her head like a fiery halo. She was, quite simply irresistable to Harry at that moment. Before he knew what he was doing, he leaned towards her. He saw her eyes widen in suprise, and then drift closed, as he felt one of her arms come up to rest lightly on his shoulder, her fingers in his hair. Their lips met in a gentle kiss.

"Ummmm... Harry?" said Ron in a slightly strangled voice. "What are you doing to my sister?"

Harry jumped up as if shocked, his face a bright Weasley red. "Uhhhh... I... omigosh... Ron... I" he stuttered nervously attempting to flatten his nicely mussed hair.

"We were doing exactly the same thing you were doing about ten seconds ago Ronald. Not that it is any of your business. I'm not a baby anymore you know." Ginny said putting her hands on her hips and glaring at her brother.

"You... you were snogging my best friend.... on his bed!" Ron snapped back.

"Ooo... Ronald Bilius Weasley sometimes you can just be so... Ooo!" Ginny growled and stormed off.

"Now look what you did," Hermione said shooting Ron a nasty look.

"What I did?" Ron shouted. " Blame Harry. He kissed her."

"Do you have any idea how long she has been waiting for that to happen Ronald? I'm going after her," Hermione stomped off after Ginny, muttering something about the stupidity of men under her breath.

Harry sat on his bed, a goofy grin spreading on his face, which was quickly wiped away when Ron turned to him.

"You kissed my sister," Ron accused. "Why in the hell did you kiss my sister?"

"Why do you think I kissed her mate?" Harry said, irritated and elated all the same time. She had, after all, kissed him back.

"But... she's my sister," Ron said lamely.

"I'm aware of that Ron. Look... I really like her. I mean REALLY like her. She understands alot of what I'm going through and I can talk to her about things, and in case you haven't noticed she's gorgeous. You're my best friend though, and if you aren't comfortable with... you know... Ginny and me.. I need to know now."

Ron sat down next to Harry and looked at him.

"You REALLY like her?"

Harry nodded, blushing again, which caused Ron to grin.

"I can't believe you like my baby sister. She compared your eyes to pickled toads for Merlin's sake, " Ron teased.

"Shut up Ron," Harry said smiling in spite of himself.

"Wait until I tell Fred and George."

"They are going to kill me," Harry said paling.

"Naw mate. They might be a little shocked at first. Probably threaten you some even, but they'll be happy that she is with you. Now c'mon. Let's go eat. I am starving."

Harry snorted. "When aren't you?"

"Keep that up and I'm telling Bill and Charlie too," said Ron as they headed down the stairs. Harry paled even more, causing Ron to start laughing.

"What?" Harry demanded irritated.

"You've got to face bloody Voldemort and you're afraid of my brothers finding out you kissed Ginny."

Harry grinned sheepishly as they entered the kitchen. Ginny, Hermione, Mrs. Weasley, and the twins were already there, seated around the large table. Ginny smiled shyly at Harry as he slipped into the empty seat next to her.

"Happy Birthday Harry dear," said Mrs. Weasley, pecking him on the cheek and handing him a full plate. "Eat up. We have a suprise planned for you today."

"A suprise?" Harry asked smiling.

"We thought you could use some fresh air and sunshine. We'll be going to the Burrow after breakfast. The others are there now setting up wards and making sure it's safe."

Harry and Ron quickly finished eating and ran upstairs to get ready to go. They were soon back in the kitchen with the girls and Mrs. Weasley. The twins had already apparated. Mrs. Weasley handed each of them a pinch of floo powder and with cires of "the Burrow," they found themselves in the Weasley's comfortable home.

"C'mon Birthday Boy," said Ginny grabbing his hand and pulling him outside where several large tables were set up. A banner reading, "Happy Birthday Harry" was strung between two trees. Harry was suprised to see just how many people were here. He recognized several Order members, as well as all of the Weasleys. Even Hagrid and Professors Dumbledore and Mcgonnagall were there.

"Happy Birthday Harry," said a familiar voice. Turning he saw his friend Neville Longbottome, accompanied by Luna Lovegood.

"Yes Harry. Happy Birthday," said Luna in her usual dreamy voiced way.

"Thanks," said Harry feeling a little overwhelmed by it all.

"You ok Harry?" Ginny asked, seeming to sense something was up.

"I just didn't expect all this," he said. "I've never had a birthday party before."

"Well then it's high time you did," Ginny said decisively, pulling him along.

Before Harry knew it, all his awkwardness had dissolved. He was soon laughing, joking, and eating with his friends. Ginny stayed by his side the whole time, earning Harry some curious looks from Fred and George. About halfway through the afternoon, Ron hollered across the lawn to him.

"Oy Harry! The oldies here," Ron said pointing at Bill and Charlie, "have challenged us to a game of quidditch. Think you're up to it?"

Harry grinned. "Of course I am, assuming I can borrow a broom."

Soon an intense game was under way. On one side was seeker Harry, keeper Ron, beaters Fred and George and chasers Luna, Ginny, and a very reluctant Hermione. On the opposing team was seeker Charlie, keeper Remus, beaters Kingsley and Mundungus, and chasers Tonks, Bill, and, suprising everyone, Professor McGonnagall. Moody agreed to act as referee.

Harry found himself having more fun than he could remember having in a very long time. He very nearly laughed himself off his broom when McGonnagall managed to score on a very red faced Ron. Finally though, he saw the golf ball which Professor Dumbledore had enchanted to act as the snitch. Going into a steep dive and swooping under a startled Tonks, Harry caught it winning the game with a suprisingly close score of 150 - 210.

The game had lasted several hours and it was nearly dinnertime, so everyone began to help Mrs. Weasley set up. She had made all of Harry's favorites, and even had a huge chocolate cake with sixteen candles and the words "Happy Birthday Harry!" spelled out in neon green frosting.

When everyone had finished eating, Harry began to open his presents. Nevile and Luna had given him a years subsription to The Qibbler, while he had gotten his usual gift of candy from Ron. Hermione had, predictably, given him a book entitled Defensive Spells for Dark Days: How to Prepare for the Worst. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Bill, and Charlie had pooled their money together and brought Harry some very expensive looking dragon-hide gloves for quidditch. They were a bright Gryffindor red and had his initials embrodered in gold on the backs. From Tonks, Shacklebolt, and Moody, Harry received a complete, Ministry approved, set of auror's tools which included wards, a foe glass, and various dark detectors.

"You can never be too careful Potter," Moody growled.

Mundungus Fletcher had earned the wrath of both Mrs. Weasley and Professor McGonnagall with his gift, a very old bottle of Firewhiskey.

"It was Sirius' favorite. He'd have wanted you to have it," 'Dung whispered to Harry with a wink.

Finally only three presents were left on the table.

"Open ours next Harry," said George seeming to almost bounce with excitement.

"Why? Is it going to explode on me?" Harry asked.

"So suspicious Harry. Just open it," said Fred.

Very cautiously, Harry tore the paper off. A red and gold box looked up at him. Words slowly began to appear on its surface.

"Through special arrangement with Weasley's Wizard Wheezes, the Marauders proudly present... The Marauders Line - Aides to Magical Mischief Makers."

Harry looked up stunned at a grinning Fred and George.

"We used the money Sirius left us to develope these," said Fred.

"Open the box Harry," George added.

Harry did as George asked. Inside was an assortment of candies, fireworks, and prank objects with names like Moony's Howling Moon Pops, Padfoot's Irresistable Posies, and Prong's Pattented Prancing Pinwheels.

Remus laughed. "Speaking as the last remaining Marauder, I think I can safely say that we are deeply honored boys. Padfoot and Prongs would be delighted to know that they will be leading yet another generation of Hogwarts students astray."

"Heaven help us. I don't think I can take the kind of havoc those four used to cause at my age," muttered Professor McGonnagall. Lupin grinned. All the Marauders knew that she had always held a soft spot for their little group.

"Ok Harry, since we're strolling down memory lane... mine is next," his guardian said handing Harry a small box.

Opening it, Harry found a small golden snitch engraved with the letters J. P. The ball took flight and flitted around Harry's head. In a gesture reminiscent of his father, Harry practiced catching and releasing it several times.

"It was your dad's Harry. He knicked it in fourth year. He used to practice catching it for hours on end, drove your Mum nuts. Sirius stole it right before your folks got married and had it engraved as a wedding gift. As I recall, Lily was less than pleased with his efforts."

"Less then pleased? She cursed him. Sirius like to never got rid of those fleas. She had a way with curses your Mum," said 'Dung laughing.

Harry smiled. He loved hearing about his parents. At times like these he missed them terribly, and wished that both they and Sirius could be here.

"I believe that ours is next Mr. Potter," said Professor Dumbledore pushing the long box from he, Professor McGonnagall, and Hagrid towards Harry. Harry ripped off the paper. There on the paper was his prized Firebolt. Pinned to it, a large golden C, which both Oliver Wood and Angelina Johnson had worn before him, glinted brightly.

"We thought perhaps that you'd be interested in being Gryffindor's quidditch captain," Professor McGonnagall said beaming.

Harry let out a loud whoop of joy, as he was practically tackled by an enthusiastic Ron, Ginny, and Hermione.

"Thank you all so much. This has been the best birthday I've ever had," said Harry smiling.

Suddenly the joy was wiped from Harry's face to be replaced by one of sheer agony. He clutched his scar and fell to his knees as he felt the searing pain that only Voldemort could bring. Harry struggled desperately to slam down the barriers of his mind as Dumbledore had shown him.

"You didn't think I'd let your birthday go by without a gift from me did you Harry?" He heard the high, cold voice of Voldemort in his head, accompanied by the startling image of the Dark Mark hanging over a familiar house on Privet Drive.

"No!" Harry gasped as he turned to retch helplessly upon the grass.

A/N: I know...evil cliffhanger again. Hope you enjoyed this chapter. Thanks for reading it and please be sure to review.