Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Twenty Things That Make the World Go 'Round by eva_writes

Printer
Summary: It's Harry Potter's first year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. But his little sister, Kata Potter, still has a year to go. She's still in Little Whinging. And nothing is the same. Her brother is gone, her friends have changed, and she's been told to trust no one. All Kata has left is an assignment from her teacher: find and catalog the twenty things that make her world go 'round. Maybe Kata's too young for the magic, but she's going to have her own adventures... adventures that will take her from Little Whinging to London, a police station, the back of a train, a stage with a bright light... and maybe even to Hogwarts itself.

Twenty Things is a story about finding yourself, your friends, your secrets, and your past, and hacking it all into some sort of future.
Ratings: 3rd-5th Years [ - ]
Category: Alternate Universe
Characters: None
Warnings: Abuse, Alternate Universe, Strong Profanity, Violence
Challenge:
Serie: None
Chapters: 12 Completed?: No
Wordcount: 73838 Viewcount: 42268
Published on: 01/20/09 Updated On: 01/29/12



Story Notes: Hey! I've never written a full length fic before, but Kata's been in my head fot so long, and she's dying to have her story told. This is not a typical "Harry has a sister" fic, and if you read it, the reasons why wil become evident. I hope you enjoy this... a big thank you to Azhure, my beta! And, of course, I do not own Harry Potter, the color green, or string cheese.


1. If Only I Hadn't Slept Through English by eva_writes [ - ] (4211 words)
This is chapter one in Twenty Things That Make the World Go 'Round! I hope you enjoy this, and remember to review!
2. Aaron's Personality Flaws, and a Couple of Mine by eva_writes [ - ] (3255 words)
Hello again. I am so, so, so sorry that the wait for this chapter was so long. I had a problem with my internet connection, and them there was an e-mail mix up, and then I had a grammar error... point is, I'm sorry, and I hope you enjoy chapter two. I don't own Harry Potter, Magic Markers, or duct tape. Thanks to my brilliant beta Azhure and everyone that reviewed.

***********************************

3. Welcome to Flashback City by eva_writes [ - ] (3944 words)
Hello, again! I hope that this chapter didn't take as long, though I warn you, chapter four might. I hope you enjoy this installment in Kata's story. As always, Azhure is absoulutely wonderful and I don't own Harry Potter. Note: There's something funny going on with what is an isn't in italics. Use your best judgement, guess, because I can't find any way to fix it. To help, all parts that mention Harry are flashbacks, and at the very end, when Jeremy starts talking, that's the present. If you really can't figure it out, let me know and I'll try to edit.
4. Here I Come, World... Still Clueless by eva_writes [ - ] (4199 words)
So, I've been thinking. I could apologise for being late, but that's how I start most chapters. Which means, if you think about it, that I am right on time. All right, you don't have to agree with my logic, but at least enjoy the chapter. Thanks to Azhure, I own Kata but not Harry... and let's hear it for twitternet! *Awkward silence*
5. I Can Do Whatever I Want Like You by eva_writes [ - ] (3620 words)
Oh my goodness, I have nothing to blame but my own laziness for the amount of time this chapter took! I really have been busy though... it's the end of sophmore year, and apparently that entails tons of homework and expectations. Anyway, I don't own Harry Potter or Alice in Wonderland, those belong to J.K. Rowling and C.S. Lewis. I also don't own the song Indiana by Meg & Dia. Oh, and the version Kata hears is the one on the CD, not the one you'd hear if you YouTube'd it. This chapter brings more flashbacks, so watch out for the random switches between the present and the past. I just can't figure out the italics,(flashbacks are markes by three asteriks) so if anyone can help me out with that...(yes, I know that's a bit pathetic) I hope you are bale to enjoy the chapter despite my italic issue.
6. Some Very Cold Moments In A Very Cold Winter by eva_writes [ - ] (6651 words)
Wow... this chapter did take me a while, didn't it? I hope that didn't turn anyone off the story, because I think this is my best so far, and I know it's by far the longest. I also (finally) worked out my italics issues. Just an FYI: this is the last "introductory" chapter. I've set up the scene and the plot, and introduced all the characters that I will, so things are really going to start happening in chapter seven. Thanks to twilightHPgirl18 for beat-ing, and to everyone who reviewed. Enjoy!
7. More Complicated Feelings I SERIOUSLY Could Have Done Without by eva_writes [ - ] (6739 words)
Well, I’m just a big fat liar, aren’t I? There’ll be an update soon, I said. Keep checking, I said. I’ll be lucky if I have any readers left! Sorry, guys. It might be worth it, though, because I like this chapter. It shows a little more of Kata’s personality, specifically that she really, really wants to grow up fast, and she’s delusional and. Or at least has a big imagination. And, uh… well, no one reads author’s notes anyway! I don’t own Harry Potter, and sometimes I wish I didn’t own Kata Potter, because she can just be annoying. Enjoy the (long overdue) chapter!
8. Things That Happen When I Swallow Peanuts and Read Letters by eva_writes [ - ] (7702 words)
Hello, beautiful people! Hiatus officially over! Special shout-out to everyone who reviewed during my absence, especially Maggie Bee. You’re my favorite stalker, and knew just what to say to get me going again. My junior year’s been hard, and I’ve had a couple of thing happen that’ve made it a lot harder than it should have been. However, it wasn’t fair to stop the story when there were people who actually wanted to read it. My original idea was that this plot was so overdone and no one would miss me. Thanks to everyone who said that this isn’t the case. This chapter is self-beta’ed, so don’t be too hard on me. Also, it’s very depressing—though very, very important to everything that will come. As of now, I have very chapter planned out, and a few written, so don’t expect another six-month hiatus. Oh, one more thing: this would have been up yesterday, but I needed to add a strong profanity warning. If you’re offended by f-bombs, and such… don’t read the scene between Jeremy and Kata. Otherwise, y’all should be good. Read on, and enjoy!
9. Memoirs of The Girl Who Technically Lived by eva_writes [ - ] (9937 words)
Hullo. Sorry this chapter took a little while; I'm operating sans beta, and got rejected for spelling errors. Flashbacks here are not italicized, because most of the chapter is a flashback. Just keep that in mind.

In this chapter, you see a lot of canon scenes. The dialogue is slightly changed, mostly so I won’t be accused of plagiarizing. This can also be attributed to Kat’s personality, though; I don’t think she’d care to keep track of what was said by whom and at what time.

Argentina actually did win the World Cup in 1990—the soccer World Cup, that is. Not Quidditch. I do not own the following things mentioned in this chapter: Harry Potter (duh), John Clare’s “I Am”, Madonna, Emily or Charlotte Brontë, “Carry On My Wayward Son”, or—because I forgot to reference it last chapter—T.S. Eliot’s “The Hollow Man”. I do, however, own Mr. Mendota, Jeremy Flinker, Kata Potter, and Zane Liestman. As always, reviews and criticism are welcome. Kata also likes reviews, and it's our birthday(she was born on the sixth, I on the thirteeth)... so think of it as a present for both Kata and I! I respond to all. Enjoy!

10. The Car Crashes and Broken Bones That Change Our Lives by eva_writes [ - ] (6786 words)
Mornin’, kids. Have you all given up on me yet? Hope not.
Veronica Jasin does not exist. I completely made up the BBC broadcast thing.
I don’t own Harry Potter, but I have a lovely cupboard he could sleep in should the opportunity arise. I also don’t own Batman, the Magna Carta, Lord of the Rings, Dr. Suess, Winnie the Pooh, “Hey, Jude”, or the BBC. Once again, Jeremy curses. Profusely. I don't think I dropped any f-bombs in this chapter, and this story does now have a Strong Profanity warning, but don't read if you're offended by coarse language. Also, a clarification: there are a few sections of this chapter that do not occur in the “present” setting of Kata’s story. They’re not classified as flashbacks, and they’re not in italics. I’m confident y’all will be able to discern the difference. It basically goes: one year previously, present day, six years previously, present day, a few months previously.
Yes, I said ‘y’all’. And, yes, I can hear the Brits laughing. THANK YOU.
Note to Moderators: There’s been some confusion—Vernon is supposed to be misspelled as Verno. This is a facet of Kata’s characterization, and not an accidental breech of canon. Sorry about that.

11. If You've Ever Listened to Anything I've Said, Now Is... Also a Good Time by eva_writes [ - ] (9794 words)
A lot of the conversations in this chapter are very strange and do not make any sense. It’s pretty much the same scene repeated a few times, with Kata and Sherrie; Kata and Jeremy; Kata and Mr. Millerton. I promise there’s a reason for all the wackiness. Later in the story, more than once, you will point to something on your screen and say, “That was in Chapter Eleven! Chapter Eleven is a garden of bountiful foreshadowing, and everyone should pay special super-duper attention to Chapter Eleven!” This will happen later in the series, too. Evidence: the scene featuring fifteen-year-old drunk Kata. That will be explained in the veryveryveryvery distant future. Adam is another OC. He’s important. So is Millerton. I bet a lot of people have already figured out what’s up with him… or not. Okay. Read and you shall discover!

I don’t own Harry Potter, or A Very Potter Musical. If you find the AVPM reference, I will give you twenty Eva Points. They’re about as useful as House Points, except you don’t even get a cool trophy. I might Fed-Ex you a coffee mug with some sequins glued around the rim, but that’s both a longshot and weird.

12. Screws Fall Out All the Time; the World's an Imperfect Place by eva_writes [ - ] (7000 words)
As always, this chapter jumps around a lot. I own only Kata and the plot of Kailey Mendota’s novel. Chapter title is a reference to The Breakfast Club, which I don’t own, just like I don’t own Harry Potter. First part of this chapter is foreshadowing the next, which will hopefully be written soon.