Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Wandless by Wandering Wand

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes:

Sorry for the late update!

This is a transition chapter; but the next is all ready to be posted :)

Chapter 21 “ Out of a Fairy Tale Book

Why talk about all
The known and the unknown
See how unknown merge into the known


‘One of the stories which fuelled the legend that Rowena Ravenclaw was a Magian,’ Snape was explaining on the morrow, ‘was her behaviour toward Salazar Slytherin at the end of their lives. I believe you have read the Tale of the Time of the Magi?’

‘Yes, my friend Caroline discovered it for me,’ I explained.

Tales of the Wandering Wand is a compilation of old stories from the oral tradition. They do not have, like the Beedle’s, a known author and though they are not as pleasantly written, they are much older. Tale of the Time of the Magi is the only well known testimonial of this ancient myth. Parts of the text are cryptic enough and leave space for interpretation. Particularly, there is a passage in the middle of the text where Magi are not referred by this word but by the word Magus, which should be the singular, even though wizards tend to use Magian because Magus is being used by Muggles. An odd occurrence which many attribute to lazy copying spells; while others insist that the text may speak about some other type of Magi in the passage. Anyway, it is in this passage that Magi are said to,’ Snape took his copy of the Tales and quoted;

‘By forgiveness or blindness, finding excuses, tricks and ways out, always the Magus to their loved ones keep close, as their loyalty knows no limit.’

‘It is the last part of this sentence which is well known. It was an expression still used in my youth; “Loyalty of Magi” used to refer to an action beyond measure, unreasonable.’

‘Rowena Ravenclaw fought for many long years for the forgiveness of Salazar Slytherin and his return to Hogwarts. She had the “Loyalty of Magi” toward her old friend, in spite of his outrageous behaviour.

‘It is also known among very few wizards “ namely the Hogwarts professors and headmasters “ why her legendary heirloom, her tiara, has never surfaced. Her daughter had betrayed her, stole it and run away. Rowena Ravenclaw protected her daughter’s memory all her life, insisting that she had lost the tiara herself. Again, possibly, the loyalty of the Magi.

‘They say magi have bounds in love and friendship, which do not allow them to relegate past feelings and vows. This is only a legend, Cybele. But you are here standing in front of me and had your soul almost ripped from you when a number of your friends have demanded that you betray another friend.’

There was a silence, as understanding of the implication of this theory dawned on Cybele. Professor Snape looked at her seriously.

‘You ought to be prudent, Cybele, in your allegiances. If they are to come in contradiction, you are the one who will be torn apart. Do you understand me? In a world where it is impossible to be a friend of an Eslis and of a Malfoy, you can try to twist this world if you can, but you cannot go back and choose again.’

Cybele did not answer. So much had eventually been discovered about her before and during her accident. She was a Magian, which made her a legendary creature out of a fairy tale book. If she wanted to know more about her kind, here it was; children books and fairy tales!

‘I have Muggle documentation about Magi,’ she eventually said, willing to see their meetings turn back to a more scientific ground.

‘Good, we will have much to do! I will not be in Hogwarts for the rest of this week. I hope to see you here on Monday.’

And with that he sent her to rest before her meeting with Dumbledore.

*-*-*-*-*


‘You look very well today!’ the headmaster exclaimed genially upon my entering his office in the afternoon.

‘Yes, Headmaster. Thank you for Hogwarts’ good care during all these months.’

Dumbledore waved his hand to signify it was nothing.

‘Miss Philius, I understand from Professor Snape that we have reached major discoveries about you. I trust you will both be able to draw positive conclusions soon.’

Of this, I wasn’t so sure; and as Professor Snape himself had confessed the limits his new theory, I just assumed the headmaster had a good reason to act ignorant.

However, the headmaster didn’t dismiss the topic after that but added, in a much more serious tone,

‘I have felt guilty, Miss Philius. I take you remember the trick we played on you before Christmas, with my request about your friend Mister Malfoy?’

Of course! It was all coming back now! Not that I was suffering from amnesia again, but there was simply so many things to compile!

‘Yes, I do,’ I replied prudently, understanding only now that it had been a test.

‘We had assumed that little experiment would be more efficient than a direct question, you see. Of course Professor Snape was to disclose all to you in your next meeting, but-’

‘It never took place,’ I finished.

‘Yes. I have to confess I was feeling very confident that even if Professor Snape’s and my theories were right, you were not in any immediate danger. I am afraid I had managed to placate Severus enough to let him wait until the New Year to meet you. I cannot help but feel that if not for my foolish overconfidence, you could have been warned…’ He trailed off.

‘Professor Snape had planned to see me before the holidays, Headmaster. It simply happened before our meeting,’ I explained, feeling uneasy about the old man’s guilt.

Dumbledore nodded and seemed eventually willing to let this aside.

‘We have agreed with Professor Snape that given the circumstances, your closest friends will have to know about your nature to some extent, so they can help and protect you from such accidents in the future.’

I nodded.

‘I will invite your friends to come and visit you this weekend and will talk to them before they see you. I will tell them about you not being an ordinary witch and about the possible bounds you may be under to explain your accident. Is that all right with you, Cybele?’ he asked kindly.

I felt like I didn’t have much choice, and this was probably better than to have to talk at all myself with my friends about what happened before last Christmas.

‘Yes,’ I answered simply.

‘I will contact the Weasleys and the Jordans, as well as your friend Caroline’s parents and arrange for their children to come and spend Sunday here at Hogwarts.’

I smiled.

‘I cannot include Mr. Malfoy,’ Dumbledore went on, ‘and I would like to request that you will not trust him with information about your being a Magian.’

I was about to ask why, but the headmaster intended to explain to me and went on.

‘I hope you will understand. I am sure that you know the wizarding world was at war for many years over a decade ago. I have reasons to believe that this war, against Voldemort, will resume one day or another, when he manages to return to power. In this war, I, Hogwarts, the Weasleys, the Jordans, Muggles and Muggle-borns are on one side, the Malfoys on the other, together with Voldemort. I do not mean to say that young Draco is,’ Dumbledore added, ‘but his family is, and we cannot take risk that they hear about a Magian. Magi represent limitless powers, as I am sure you have realized; it would put you into trouble and possibly Draco himself in danger to let him know about such powers if war were to resume.’

Somehow, Draco already knew less about me than any of my other friends, I reflected. And this was certainly not foreign to the fact that he proffered controversial opinions. I had instinctively already acted on Dumbledore’s line of thinking.

‘I understand,’ I agreed.

‘Good,’ he concluded simply. ‘As I am sure that you are eager to stay around with us to explore the new hypothesis with Professor Snape, we still have to agree on how you may resume you education.’

As what the headmaster was meaning draw down me, I started to dread what would come next. Surely he didn’t want me to resume Hogwarts’ third year, when all my Ravenclaw friends were about to start their fifth? Even Draco would be starting his fourth year now! I must have looked horrified, lost in my thoughts, because I heard the old man chuckle pleasantly.

‘Would you like to resume Hogwarts’ fifth year, Miss Philius? Considering your abilities, it should not be too challenging.’

‘Yes, I can! I will catch up even before first of September,’ I assured eagerly.

Dumbledore unfolded a parchment. ‘Let’s see, Professor McGonagall has kindly prepared a tentative strategy for you.’

‘We assume that Transfiguration, Defence Against the Dark Arts and Charms will not be an issue. But you should read third and fourth year’s syllabus at the very least, to memorize the spells. Then, our Potions Master has kindly offered to have you catch up in his subject over the summer. That leaves Herbology and Care of Magical Creatures to seriously work on, doesn’t it?’

Without waiting for a confirmation, he went on.

‘Professor McGonagall suggests that you will have a fellow tutor for each subject to help you go through until you have caught up. She has already contacted Professors Sprout and Hagrid to suggest names. She will see the students at the beginning of the term to tutor you. Will you agree?’

‘Of course,’ I answered simply, wondering, still, how the students were not going to grow suspicious when I catch up on a year and half worth of their best subject in less than a month. But I didn’t comment.

‘Oh, and History,’ Dumbledore was mentioning as an afterthought. ‘Well, I suppose we will let you catch up at your own speed,’ he said with a half smile.

I felt myself blush. He knew!