Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Wandless by Wandering Wand

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 34 – What is left to do

It may be that the satisfaction I need depends on my going away,
so that when I've gone and come back, I'll find it at home..



Cybele felt puzzled for only few seconds. Snape had said, ‘I’m leaving you all my notes.’ That meant the key could open only one door. The only door in Hogwarts Cybele knew to be protected by both a password and a key was the door of a very prudent man.

She picked up the case and the key and went down to the dungeons.

‘Arta Magush,’ she said in front of Professor Snape’s office. A key hole appeared in the door and she unlocked it.

She conjured some lights and a fire in the windowless office, passed behind the desk and sat in her professor’s chair.

She stood up again for a moment, looking sadly around before she looked down at the desk and saw the letter. She recognized her mentor’s unique writing and looked at the address.

‘Dear Cybele,’ it read.

Images of Severus Snape’s smile back in the hospital wing came back to her.

‘Dear Cybele,’

As she had realized that day in the hospital that Professor Snape never smiled or sighed, that he never wore any expression on his face; she realized now that Severus had probably seldom started a letter this way.

‘Severus,’ she tried out loud. She looked around the office, as if expecting Severus’ belongings to look different, viewed by someone who called him by his first name.

Sometimes my powers seem infinite compared to those of wizards. But when I want to end the war, save Severus, save Draco, discover my origins, understand who I am, be sure I am making the right choice; then my powers feel ridiculously useless. She reflected sadly.

‘Dear Cybele,’

He had almost chuckled at her in this very office.

‘Dear Cybele,’

She could remember every single one of his almost-smiles and the scarce occasions in which she had seen his young face moved by a slight expression of amusement or concern.

She pushed these thoughts away and read through the rest of the letter. She then covered her face in her palms, feeling exhausted.

‘Dear Cybele,

Our times at Hogwarts have come to an end, and as I am unsure of the terms of my departure, I am writing you this letter, in the event I do not have the opportunity to have a last meeting with you.

I have made a discovery which may explain the origins of your dangerous connections with other humans. I feel I may have discovered where you come from.

As much as you deserve to hear it from me, I’d rather have it written down here for you to read in case I have to leave before we meet again.

I have come across a very ancient Persian text. Do not look for it, I was only able to have a look at it within a most guarded private collection of antics yesterday and therefore couldn’t compile any copy of it here.

This document was the oldest account of the Magi legend I had ever come across and whereas its contents were similar to countless others we have been through together, it also contained one utterly new concept.

‘True Magian is made not born,’ it explained; a fact that Eslis had mentioned once. Beside the novelty of the concept, I was stricken that the Old Persian version echoed the words on you watch, Arta Magush; the original sentence was ‘Arta magush afarida’ as they were on Rowena Ravenclaw’s tiara.

The rest of the document contained a quite unrealistic description of the enchantment which enables the creation of a Magian. ‘Recreate our creators,’ was the name of this enchantment. It involved a willingly sacrificed wizard, the blood of his mother (the document précised that the blood of another female relative could be used instead if the mother was no more), a family heirloom made of gold (again, a note indicated that if unavailable, a heirloom made of another metal could be involved) as ingredients; and a community of no less than thirteen adult magi to perform the enchantment.

The text said only the heirs of the Magi, the ones whose ancestors had trained wizards, could perform that cursed enchantment.

How much truth this text holds, I am sorry that I cannot say. But elements of the enchantment’s description are too striking not to investigate. The ‘sacrificed wizard’ was said to be there to provide ‘being’, the female relative blood to provide ‘body’ and the metallic heirloom to ‘ensure the cursed binds which protect humanity’.

The text added, ‘being and body give a Magian, the curse only give true Magian (again, Arta Magush.) It can spell out truth and call back the soul.

This mention of the binds struck me. And you do come with a metallic object that once spelled out the truth for you years ago, and even had, when read out loud, called back your soul and woke you up.

If this text holds any truth, it may prove the other legends we have read. Lost Tribes of magi may still somehow have survived. If this enchantment exists, then six years ago a tribe of magi may have performed it. You could find them.

I will be with you in thoughts.

Severus Snape’



Much later, Cybele let her hands slip down from her face. She took the letter back and read it a second time. She mechanically reached for her watch and turned it to see the words. She gasped. The back of her watch now read:

Arta Magush
Afarida


She tried to think of the last time she had looked at the watch; but the truth was that she never looked at it. Severus was right in saying that she came with it. She had never chosen it and drawn it like the rest of her clothes; it just kept appearing back around her neck each time she got dressed.

But she remembered the circumstances in which the first words had appeared. They had come during a unique event. Then, she knew when the new word had appeared; when she had performed magic for the first time, yesterday, against Malfoy. She had not been able to be true to all her friends the first time in the Hall and the watch which held the curse had called her back. She had attacked her friend yesterday and the watch had sent another warning, it had spelled the truth. Severus’ text made sense, frighteningly so.


*-*-*-*-*



Graduation was a subdued business that year. A small ceremony was organized on the eve of Dumbledore’s funeral. Fred and George had returned to attend both, and the Jordans had come too; Cybele felt very touched.

The convocation was held by McGonagall, and it was sobered by the circumstances. Caroline was the major of the batch and made a touching speech thanking Dumbledore. Awards were also attributed by subject. Cybele could remember Lee’s humoristic speech last year on receiving the Care of Magical Creatures award, admitting publicly in front of McGonagall and his parents of the Phil adventure and how he hardly risked losing his House any points then!

Cybele was receiving the same award tonight together with Potions and she would make only one speech, which she had not prepared. When the double award was announced, a tense silence fell on the graduates and their families: Potions meant Snape, the flown murderer of Dumbledore, and most students also knew that he had been Cybele’s mentor for six years. Once on stage, though, she realized she did want to say some things.

‘I have so much to be grateful to Hogwarts for… I could hardly imagine two more different people than the two professors who taught me Care of Magical Creatures and Potions, yet it is an equal gratitude that I would like to express to both of them, as well as to all my teachers and to our headmaster.’

Tension was palpable in the assembly as Cybele pointedly included the Potions master in her thanks.

‘When I came to Hogwarts six years ago, I was not a witch. Hogwarts has not made me one. I am actually a Magian. And I owe it to Hogwarts, that I have discovered this fact.’ Cybele locked eyes with McGonagall and Flitch, whose serious, non-puzzled expressions and brief nod converted the murmurs in the assistance into a speechless silence. ‘I may not belong to the wizarding world after all, but it is Hogwarts that has made me the person I am. Thanks to Professor Hagrid, who had taught me much about how to accept and to be accepted. To Professor Snape, who has dedicated his art and energy to discover what I was without letting me forget who I am. To my friends; those who have always reminded me of what is wrong and right, and those, too, who have reminded me that such things as wrong and right don’t exist.’

There were no applause after Cybele speech, as most people were still under the shock of the Magian story and unwilling to associate Professor Snape’s name with any cheering. McGonagall therefore said a short word before she resumed the awarding.

‘Hogwarts is proud to have helped you find your origins, Miss Philius. Whatever your decisions as to your future life as a Magian may be, I speak in the name of all my colleagues in saying that the wizarding world considers you to be one of us. I am also sure that Professor Dumbledore would have liked me to remind you that the wizarding world is one made of people of many different origins.’

After all awards were given, a cold buffet was opened and students bid their farewell to each other and to their teachers.

After she had given McGonagall a hug, Professor Flitwick came to Cybele.

‘So you are leaving…’

‘Yes. I did not say anything like that, though.’

‘Your speech sounded too strongly of farewells, Miss Philius. May I ask what your plans are?’

‘There is only so much that wizards know about magi… I suppose I have to find the rest on my own.’

‘I see. Professor… your professor gave me back my literature on the subject long ago. I believe he has discovered more for you than was ever written on the subject.’

Cybele noted the reluctance to use Professor Snape’s name but didn’t comment.

‘I believe he has. He was ever the most dedicated researcher, and friend, I had the honour to work with. He has left me all his notes.’ Professor Flitwick could not hide his dislike from his face at this point, but he did not allow his farewell be darkened by this.

‘Well, use them wisely. You should write about what your professor and you have discovered. It would be the right way to give back to Hogwarts part of what it has given to you. Good luck, Miss Philius.’

‘Thank you, Professor, for everything.’

But Professor Flitwick went away with preoccupations far from Miss Philius’ personal welfare. If this Magian were to take part in wizarding conflict, which side would Snape’s self-proclaimed friend be likely to take?

He was not apparently the only one asking himself this question: Fred, George and Lee were coming to Cybele with a gloom over them.

‘So, Snape’s girl through and through, are you?’ asked Fred without smiling.

‘Thanks for coming. It means a lot to me… and I get to say goodbye; I’m leaving the wizarding world for a while.’

Fred closed his face completely at this.

‘What do you mean, Cybele?’ George asked. ‘Why?’

‘There is more about magi than I told you. The notes that Professor Snape left me-’

‘He’s no longer a professor in this school, Cybele, in case you have missed recent developments,’ Fred snapped.

‘I haven’t missed any, no,’ Cybele answered sadly. ‘I have read his notes through and what I discovered makes it impossible for me not to go and try to find more. I have to find the lost magi.’

‘But they don’t exist anymore,’ said Lee.

‘They must, or I wouldn’t be here at all, according to Professor Snape’s discoveries. I’m going where legend says they came from. I have to find-’

‘You are going to follow a murderer’s advice? Isn’t it obvious that he’s trying to send you away?’ Fred exploded. ‘I suppose he suggested you go look in some conveniently deadly lair?’

‘I will be travelling in Central Asia.’

‘How coincidently far away!’

‘Professor Snape-’

‘He’s no professor!’

‘He never did anything else than help me, selflessly! I have no reason not to trust him!’

‘So you’re going to fly away from the war and put you future in the hands of a murderer?’

‘Don’t call him that! You have no idea!’

Fred looked disgusted; George and Lee’s faces had closed too, now.

‘Is this your idea of a joke?’ asked Fred dangerously.

‘Snape is not a murderer, mark my word. You don’t know what you’re talking about. And you haven’t ever been put through half of what Draco has, either.’

‘Oh, I don’t know what I am talking about, am I? Well I at least know where my loyalties lie! So you are still finding excuses for Malfoy and Snape now?’ he asked in disbelief. ‘This is sick.’

‘I meant what I said earlier. You have saved me, once, from becoming a mean person, by teaching me to draw the line between right and wrong. But I also owe to Draco and Severus my understanding that this line is not always clear and straight; there are many things-’

‘As far as I am concerned, the line is straight and clear! Your duty is here, helping us fight the evil with your powers!’

‘What powers? Fred, magic is out of my reach! It all looks so easy… and it is, really, for many things, but I cannot stop a spell, I cannot-’

‘So you are saying you won’t help? You’re a Magian and you’ll just fly away? Just let us deal with Voldemort? You belong here, Cybele!’

‘I want to know where I came from, first. I’m sure you und-’

‘Coward,’ Fred stated icily.

Cybele locked eyes with him and answered softly.

‘Maybe I am. Believe me though; I am ten times more frightened of what I may discover abroad than of Voldemort, whose magic can’t reach me. And still, I’m heading away.’

‘Go then, if you don’t want to belong here.’

And he turned away, followed by Lee and George who both uttered a weak goodbye. Cybele stopped Fred, putting her hand on his shoulder.

‘The day you need me, if you fight, if you are in danger, call me. Just say my name, Fred, out loud, and I’ll be there, fighting with you.’

He left without answering.

Cybele felt a hand on her shoulder after a while and only then realized that Caroline was at her side. Cybele wondered how long she had been close and if she had heard their conversation.

‘He will,’ Caroline said simply, answering Cybele’s unspoken question.

She turned to catch her friend’s eyes.

‘You think?’ she asked, searching her face.

‘I hope,’ Caroline answered truthfully.

She looked uneasy. Cybele looked at her feet.

‘I trust you,’ Caroline stated, without smiling. ‘I don’t understand your choice to leave, I don’t understand your reasons to defend the bad guys, but I trust you. I hope one day we’ll all understand.’

‘Thanks. I cannot tell you what I know about Severus and Draco, but if you would hear my reasons, you will understand why I have to travel away,’ Cybele offered.

Caroline nodded, curiously.

*

A while later, Cybele was looking at Caroline, sitting in front of her across Severus’ desk, reading his letter.

‘Created?’ Caroline checked blankly.

Cybele just nodded, looking pale.

Caroline released a breath.

‘You are very brave,’ she stated.

‘I’m afraid, Caroline. I’m afraid of who I might be, of what I might have done.’

‘I’m going with you,’ Caroline announced after a short silence.

Nothing Cybele said could change her mind.