Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Wayward Arrow by Cwiddy

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Cupid pulled his cloak tighter around his shoulders and wings, then adjusted the hood around his face. If any of the other Gods found him sitting at The Hogs Head Inn again, he would be helping Hades in the Underworld for a couple centuries. Now that he was no longer a child or infant, he did not worry about mortals recognizing him. He had his bow and arrows concealed so that only he could reach for them when needed. He gratefully grasped at the Butterbeer in front of him, his tenth of the night and let out a loud belch of appreciation. The bartender went about his work, but did offer a quick glance in Cupid’s direction.

Cupid pulled out what he owed the bartender, gulped down the rest of his drink and headed out into the cold Hogsmeade streets. Today children from the school were everywhere. He’d forgotten that occasionally the older children were allowed to visit the town. He usually used those visits to start up a few new romances. As dusk was quickly approaching he moved into an alley way and pulled out his bow and a double arrow. Across the street was a blond haired boy who was very well dressed in well cared for Slytherin robes. He obviously thought much of himself and Cupid did not like the sneer that he cast towards the blond haired girl who was wandering down the street towards him wearing a Ravenclaw cloak, radish earrings, and it looked like she was searching for something only she could see in the bright reflections of sunlight on the corner of buildings.

“Argentiem! Come out and let us talk!” the girl spoke out to the walls.

A big boulder of a boy joined the sneering blond as they turned to walk back towards the Hogwarts campus. “Loony Luna is at it again. Let us assist her into that snow drift around the corner,” the taller boy whispered to his more subdued friend.

“Whatever you like, Crabbe,” the shorter boy replied with scorn.

Cupid drew a double headed arrow and just before the blond by passed by the eccentric Ravenclaw girl he released and watched as it hit both his targets. Both blonds staggered a minute before looking up into each other’s eyes. They stood there a moment staring at each other before the big bruit knocked into the girl sending her staggering off into the snow pile around the corner.

“Crabbe, what do you think you are doing?!” the previously sneering boy laid into his friend as he rushed to assist the brightly dressed Ravenclaw up from the snow. “Are you ok?” he inquired of his new love, as he helped her brush off the cold snow, and then offered her his arm to walk back towards Hogwarts.

The final battle at Hogwarts was last year and many students who had been seventh years were back again, in fact a decision had been made to have as many students as would comply repeat the year. The first year class was twice the size as normal, as it would not have been fair to prevent the students who were supposed to start this year, but because of all the interruptions and the lack of true learning in most of the courses offered, most students had not learned enough to have completed a normal year. Those students who had studied extra hard so as not to allow the Death Eaters to interrupt their studies were few and far between and all the Muggleborns had not been allowed to return the previous year anyway. This was a restructuring year, but with McGonagall as Headmistress things were flowing smoothly.

Luna sat in the library trying to study, but her mind was all over Draco Malfoy, her boyfriend. He rarely left her side and though the Slytherin and Ravenclaw received many looks as they passed through the halls of Hogwarts, neither would give up the time they spent together. Draco loved to surprise Luna with little trinkets he sent away for, books on fantastic creatures that he thought would interest her, or music that intrigued both of their imaginations.

Luna also noticed that her possessions all reappeared soon after she was dating Draco…and that things never seemed to disappear any more. It was nice to always be able to find her things, but it was so different from other years. Just then she spied Draco moving through the library and he took a seat next to her.

“We need to talk as soon as you are done here,” he informed her, though he took her hand under the table.

“What do we need to talk about, Draco?” she asked as she started to stack the books she had spread over the table in an attempt to complete her Runes homework. She actually had it completed already but had been trying to play a game with the runes and rearrange them to tell her horoscope for the next month, but her concentration was gone, especially with Draco at her side.

“I think it’s time we tell our fathers about…us,” he said. “I know mine will not understand, but what can he say? We’ve been dating here for several months and I’m surprised he hasn’t heard about us earlier, I’m actually pretty sure he has because I received a letter from him with a list of young women he wanted me to meet when I go home on Christmas break. But you are a Pureblood, your father has a credible career as an editor, even if it is of the Quibbler, and I love you. He needs to know.” Draco said with a firm look on his face, though his eyes hid a bit of fear.

“Let’s go talk about this in a more appropriate place. It’s beautiful outside today and I’ve wanted to walk around the edge of the lake to look for Twitterbugs. We can talk as I search,” Luna said as she finished packing up her books and stowing them away. She took his hand and led him out towards the Hogwarts grounds after sending her backpack back to her room.

“I know that both our fathers will be difficult about the two of us dating, but both of them just want us to be happy. They will see us together and know that we are happy. They will need to accept it as I don’t see us splitting up,” Luna said as they walked out into the sunshine.

To Draco she seemed to glow in the sunlight and his heart lifted. How could I ever have been so blind to her beauty and her smile? He thought as they strolled around the lake. She is a bit bizarre, but it just makes life more exciting. The way her smile lights up her face is enough to make any man’s heart glow!

Luna crouched down on the bank of the lake at all the shaded spots looking for her Twitterbugs. She went on about all these creatures and critters she longed to find someday. He did not believe in most the creatures, but if it made her happy to dream about imaginary creatures, he could deal with that. He had a house elf that could take care of the house and of cooking. He needed a wife who would lighten his heart, forgive him his past, and help him find his spot in the future. After the war he struggled often to ignore the fact he worked with the Dark Lord. He still woke from Nightmares of his previous two years and his time as a Death Eater. Since he fell in love with Luna he could hold back his screams, he could sleep through the night, and people started to forget and just wondered what he saw in the bizarre girl.

To him she was a ray of light that shown through the darkness that had surrounded him for too long. With her by his side he could see a future for himself. He just had to break the news to Lucius Malfoy, his father. He wasn’t entirely sure how Luna’s father would react either, but he wasn’t afraid of her father disowning or forgetting the existence of the daughter he was willing to give up practically everything for the previous year. Lucius just might.

Luna stopped and sat under an oak tree near the edge of the lake.

“Let us write letters to our fathers.” She pulled out a Quill and parchment from her robe and started to write.

Dearest Father,

I have fallen in love and was writing to tell you this wonderous news! He is a wonderful young man and will make me very happy. His name is Draco Malfoy and I hope I can introduce you to him at Christmas break.

Your loving daughter,
Luna


“Her you go, your turn to write your father,” Luna said as she pressed another piece of parchment and her Quill into Draco’s hands.

Dear Father,

I am writing to inform you that I am dating Luna Lovegood. I have no interest in any other girls. Hope that you and Mother are doing well.

Your son,
Draco


Together they walked back to the Owlery to send their letters.

That evening a lunch they each received a Howler from their fathers. They each contained the same message, “YOUR DATING WHO? HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND!?”

The two lovers looked each other in the eyes, sighed, and held each other’s hand as they worked on a plan to help their father see that they weren’t going to change their minds about each other.