Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Fourth Estate by OliveOil_Med

Printer
Summary: After The Quibbler is banned from the school, a group of Ravenclaws answer by publishing their own secret newspaper, The Fourth Estate, and leaving copies around various points of Hogwarts for the students to read. If any of them are caught, the worst wrath possible will fall on their heads.

But that fear has done nothing to stop them.

I am OliveOil_Med of Ravenclaw, and this my story for the Term Challange, for Project Censored.
Ratings: 1st-2nd Years [ - ]
Category: General Fics
Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenge:
Serie: None
Chapters: 9 Completed?: Yes
Wordcount: 31291 Viewcount: 29498
Published on: 03/16/09 Updated On: 12/06/09



Story Notes: This story was written for the organization Project Censored. Their goal is to provide education oppurtunities to journalism students and the public about they various forms of censorship that exist in the world. If you want more information about their mission or would like to, you can find a link to their website right here.

I actually got the idea for this story when I started thinking about a conversation I had with my two younger cousins, who are just as big of Harry Potter fans as I am. We all decided if we ever went to Hogwarts, we would all be Ravenclaws together. When OOTP came out, they were both upset that there was only one girl from Ravenclaw in Dumbledore's Army, so, of course, I had to say that was because the Ravenclaw girls were off doing something just as dangerous.

And this is what I believe they were doing during that time.


1. Chapter 1 Compose by OliveOil_Med [ - ] (2082 words)
The Quibbler has just been banned from the grounds of Hogwarts, and now, the Ravenclaws cannot stop obsessing over the reason why.

Thank you to Colors for being such a wonderful beta!

2. Chapter 2 Editorial by OliveOil_Med [ - ] (3117 words)
While still obsessing over The Quibbler, Lisa's absent-mindedness with her quill leads to something much bigger than just a sheet of random scibblings.

Thanks again to Fresca for beta-ing this!

3. Chapter 3 Staff by OliveOil_Med [ - ] (3338 words)
The idea of starting something of a paper becomes an official idea, but there is far too much work for just three fifth-years to do. So the girls start dipping into the school talent pool in an attempt to find assistance.

Again, thank you to Fresca for being such a wonderful beta!

4. Chapter 4 Distribution by OliveOil_Med [ - ] (5804 words)
The first edition of The Fourth Estate is finally finished, but distributing it to the people proves to be more of a challange than the staff antisipated it to be.

Thank you to Fresca, my oh so wonderful beta!

5. Chapter 5 Off the Record by OliveOil_Med [ - ] (5357 words)
Hogwarts professors become much more involved in the publishing of The Fourth Estate, in more ways than one.

Thank you, once again, to Fresca!

6. Chapter 6 Leading Questions by OliveOil_Med [ - ] (3226 words)
The fifth-years are all focusing on potential careers, but Lisa, Mandy, and Morag find it difficult to think any further into the future than the next edition of their paper. But at Lisa's session for career counseling, she is given much more to work about.

Thank you again to Fresca!

7. Chapter 7 Syntax by OliveOil_Med [ - ] (3794 words)
Like so many resistance movements, The Fourth Estate comes crashing down, and crashing down hard.

Thank you once again to Fresca for being such a great beta!

8. Chapter 8 Advocacy by OliveOil_Med [ - ] (3466 words)
While Lisa waits for fate following her expulsion, the wizarding world becomes frozen with fear after Voldemort truely does return. But Lisa and the former staff of The Fourth Estate are given a miraculous oppurtunity to have an odd sort of power.

And thank you to Fresca for beta-ing a chapter I'm pretty sure I wrote on Nyquil!

9. Epilogue Wrap-up by OliveOil_Med [ - ] (1107 words)
Two years later, The Fourth Estate is up and running again under a new regime, much more dangerous than any they have faced before.

Thank you so much to Fresca, for seeing this story through until the very end.