Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter: The Following Year by ginnygirl16

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Special thanks to my beta RedChequeredConverse for quick turn overs, awesome ideas, and for being totally excited about the story.
"Reparo," muttered Harry, pointing his wand at a headless gargoyle. Looking around he thought to himself that this corridor still had a long way to go before it was ready for students to pass through it.

Harry sighed. It had been two days since the battle. He and the other students had been trying to help as much as he could in the castle, Ron, Hermione, Ginny and the rest of the Weasleys were all staying at Hogwarts, as well as most of the seventh year students who had fought.

Everyone had worked together to try and fix the place up so that it would be ready for next term. Harry had even seen some Ministry officials coming in and out, lending a hand where they could. Professor McGonagall had most of the upper floors and corridors under control. The Great Hall and the Transfiguration corridor seemed to have been through the worst of the battle, so Harry, the Weasleys and Hermione had volunteered to help there. They worked silently and kept to themselves as much as they could.

The death of Fred had affected everyone, whether they showed it or not. Mrs. Weasley would break down in tears at the mention of Fred, and though they tried to look strong, even Bill and Charlie were uncharacteristically quiet and subdued. The wall that had collapsed on him had yet to be repaired. The entire family had been avoiding that particular spot as much as possible, finding an excuse to do something else whenever they had to walk by it.

In a way, Harry was glad that he had a lot to do. It kept his mind focused on the task at hand, rather than thinking about recent events, which had been none too pleasant. He had, had hardly a wink of sleep since the battle. When he did manage to doze off he would dream of Fred, Remus, Tonks, Sirius, his parents, and Voldemort's cold, high laugh, before waking up drenched in a cold sweat. When he looked over at Ron's four poster, he would usually see Ron tossing and turning in his bed as well.

The aftermath of the battle had left a chilling silence over the castle. Everyone was mourning the loss of loved ones. No one seemed to notice that the person hurting the most of all was Harry.
************************************************************************

As he had done every night since the battle, Harry found himself on his bed, staring out the window. In his hand was the photo album of his parents, which Hagrid had given him so many years ago. Since using the Resurrection Stone, Harry had been feeling something that he hadn’t felt since Sirius had died. It wasn’t grief. Harry knew what grief felt like-- in fact he had been grieving since the battle. This was something different. He wanted to see them again, talk to them, just one last time.

The life that he had lost had seemed to haunt him every night since the day he had discovered that he was a wizard, but right now it seemed worse than before.

A knock on the door interrupted Harry’s thoughts. As he turned around, he saw Ginny standing at the door.

“All right if I come in?” asked Ginny.

Harry had almost forgotten about her in the days after the battle. He had been so occupied, that he only so much as said ‘Good morning’ to her, and given her a quick smile before heading off.

Harry smiled at her. “Sure”.

Ginny sat on the bed. “What’s that you have there?” she asked, pointing at the photo album.

“You can have a look if you want,” said Harry.

As she flipped the pages a smile stretched across her face. “Oh Harry, you used to look so cute!”

Harry put a face on of mock hurt. “What do you mean I used to look cute?”

For nearly half an hour they sat on the bed, laughing at the pictures of Harry, his mother, and his father. Ginny particularly liked the one of Harry hitting James on the nose.

“Oh yeah, I bet you’ll like this one even better,” said Harry, laughing as he showed her a picture of him running around in his diaper, chasing the cat with his toy broomstick.

They continued laughing, and looking at pictures until Ron popped in.

“Sorry to interrupt you mate, but you might want to come down for supper; McGonagall has an announcement to make.” He closed the door with a slight grin on his face.

Ginny got up to leave, but Harry grabbed her arm.

“Wait, Ginny,” he started. “Thank you for making me feel better. I’ve been feeling terrible since…you know…” he sighed. “Anyways I feel much better now, and what I wanted to know was whether you wanted to be my girlfriend again?”

Ginny smiled. “Well I must say, it’s about time!” she exclaimed, as she ran and hugged him.

Harry smiled as the two of them headed out the door five minutes later. It was good to be back to normal.
************************************************************************

Supper that evening was delicious. Just as the cream puffs started to vanish Professor McGonagall stood up to make her announcement.

"Attention, students, staff, and volunteers. I know that you want to all get on with your meal so I'll be quick. I would like to let you all know that I will be taking over as Headmistress of Hogwarts come fall." The room was filled with the sound of clapping as everyone congratulated Professor McGonagall on her new post.

"Yes, thank-you very much," said the Professor. Harry couldn't help but notice that her eyes looked a little wet. "I hoped you would all be as pleased with this placement as I am, but as the head of this school, I will be unable to teach transfiguration anymore. Therefore I am also pleased to announce that this year; Transfiguration will be taught by none other than Hogwarts graduate, Percy Weasley!"

Harry turned around in shock, and he wasn't the only one. The entire Weasley family, and Hermione were now looking down the table at Percy in utter disbelief. Percy grinned.

"I spoke to McGonagall yesterday," he said sheepishly to them, as he stood up to acknowledge the crowd of people with a polite nod of his head to the four tables. "I figured that seeing as I've quit my job at the Ministry, I'll need work. I was the top of my year in the subject," he added rather pompously.

Mr.Weasley smiled. “It's good to have you back Percy." And they all joined in on the applause that was now filling the great hall.
************************************************************************

Just as Harry was getting ready for bed that night, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, along with George approached him, looking solemn.

"Harry," said Mr. Weasley quietly. "We wanted to ask you a favor."

"You can say no if you don't want to do this," said Mrs. Weasley hurriedly. "Of course we can understand if you don't want to,” she added.

"What are you--" started Harry.

George stepped forward. "Harry, two days from now we are holding Fred's funeral."

Harry looked down.

"We wanted you to give the speech. You know like the seedy looking wizard at Dumbledore’s funeral?" said George.

Harry looked up. "Wh-what?” he stammered.

Mr. Weasley spoke. "Harry this war was about you and You-Know-Who. You saved the wizarding world, and Fred died trying to bring down Voldemort, just as you did. I think it only seems right, that you be the one to send him off. It just seems like the right thing t-to do." His voice shook slightly.

"But why me?" asked Harry. "Surely a family member should say it. I mean George don't you think that you-"

Harry was cut off by George. "You are family, you and Hermione. And besides I can't do it, I just wouldn't be able to. I'd probably crack up half way through the middle of it. I'd make some stupid joke, or do something stupid. Fred deserves a proper funeral. I want you to do it." He said, looking more serious than Harry had seen him in life.

"Well than...of course," said Harry slowly. "I would be honored."

"Thank-you Harry," said Mr. Weasley shaking his hand. He looked slightly pale. Mrs. Weasley kissed him on the cheek and muttered thanks between sobs.

They had just left and Harry was thinking of what he was going to say when George reappeared.

"Oh and Harry?" said George with a slight grin on his face. "Don't make it too serious all right? I mean, there's been enough sad stuff around here. But don't tell mum I said that," he warned before leaving.

Harry laughed, "Right," he called after him. He reached under his bed and extracted a box of Fred and George's fireworks from his rucksack that he happened to have been saving. "Right," he said again as he pulled out a firework. "If there's one thing that I can do, it's to send Fred off in style."
Chapter Endnotes: Hope you enjoyed it! Please read and review.