Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter: The Following Year by ginnygirl16

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Okay, so here is the revised version of this chapter. Sorry for the delay. As always, thankyou to the wonderful RCC.
The sun shone down through the trees on the morning of Fred’s funeral. Though the sounds of birds could be heard through the windows of the Burrow, and the smell of approaching summer entered the old house, the place was”for the first time, silent.

The old clock chimed eleven; one by one, the Weasley family trouped down the stairs and out of the kitchen, dressed in black and wearing solemn expressions as they headed out to the back field.

“George!” called Harry, trying to catch him before he left the house. George turned around. He looked older; tired, and withdrawn. “You remember what to do right?” asked Harry.

George nodded. “I set them off just after you finish your speech.”

“Good, and don’t forget to make sure nobody sees them before then,” warned Harry.

George grinned. “Wow Harry, I think Fred and I had a bad influence on you.”

A smile tugged at Harry’s lips. “Maybe. We’ll see.” They turned and headed out the door.

************************************************************************

“Ahem,” started an apprehensive Harry as many solemn faces turned to face him. He never was much for crowds. “I would like to thank you all for coming today, to attend the funeral of great man.” Harry glanced at the Weasleys, sitting in the front row. Mrs. Weasley was sobbing into her handkerchief. Ron was pale and held Hermione tightly, who was crying silent tears as she looked upon the casket in front of Harry.

“Fred Weasley was a son, a brother, and a great friend. I am lucky to say that I was one of the fortunate people to know him. I think I speak for everyone when I say that hardly anyone who knew him had ever seen him without a smile on.”

Harry glanced at the crowd. He could see Professors McGonagall, Flitwick, and Sprout, along with Kingsley, Mrs. Tonks, and a number of the Order. Many of them were dabbing at there eyes. He paused to take a deep breath before he continued.

“It is important that Fred’s death remind us of the evil that ripped his and many other families apart.” He gestured at Mrs. Tonks, who was holding Teddy. “Fred Weasley died as he lived; with a smile on his face, fighting for those he loved the most. Therefore let me conclude by saying that today we should celebrate the life of a boy who fought to the end, to make this world a better place for us. I’m sure if Fred was here, he would say the same thing.”

At that moment, there was a bang and many people gasped and looked around to find the source of the noise. There was George grinning broadly with tears streaking his face, as a shower of fireworks filled the sky, showering the crowd with colors of pink, blue, and green. They spelled out two words”For Fred.

Harry smiled, and his eyes caught the Weasleys, and as they looked at the fireworks, their tears subsided somewhat as they gazed at them with smiles of happiness and remembrance. It was as if, for a minute, Fred was back with them.
********************************************************************

The mood seemed to lighten that night during dinner. George took it upon himself to make sure everyone was laughing and enjoying themselves. He laughed with everyone, and made some of the rudest and funniest jokes yet.

After hearing one of his most recent jokes, Mrs. Weasley, who had made a huge effort to let George do as pleased since Fred’s death, seemed unable to restrain herself anymore, and promised George, that if she ever heard such a thing come out of his mouth again, she would make sure that he would find himself with his tongue tied in very large knot.

But even though people would pretend on the outside, nothing could hide their grief when they would walk into the kitchen expecting to find Tonks sitting their making some witty remark or turning herself into God knows what, and see only Molly in there; quietly washing dishes. The living room seemed empty without Remus, and without Fred, life was much duller.

That night, for the first time, Harry saw his godson”Teddy was sporting a shock of hot pink hair. Teddy gave Harry a watery smile as Andromeda handed him over. She looked very tired.

Harry had never held a baby before, and didn’t really know what to do.

“Er”hi, Teddy. I’m Harry, your godfather.”

Teddy just stared up at him with his big blue eyes, and Ginny who was sitting nearby laughed.

“He wants you to play with him Harry,” she said.

“But what do I”?”

“Here Teddy do you want your rattle?” she asked, shaking the rattle in front of him.

Teddy just looked at her.

“What about this nice stuffed bear?”

“I don’t think he likes rattles or stuffed bears,” said Harry putting him down. “Here Teddy, how about this?” he asked pulling a firework out of a crate nearby.

Teddy laughed, trying to catch the fireworks as they whizzed around.

Ginny and Harry laughed and played with him most of the night, until Andromeda announced that she and Teddy were heading home.

“You are welcome to come by anytime, Harry,” said Andromeda.

“I will, Mrs. Tonks Thank you.”

When they Dissaparated, Ginny turned to Harry.

“Good job, Godfather.”

Harry laughed. “I wasn’t bad was I?”

Ginny smiled at him, “Of course not.”

Taking her hand, they headed back into the house.

********************************************************************

Later that night, after the cakes and pies had been eaten, and most of the guests had left, Harry decided to go for a walk. It was as if his feet knew where he was going and he wasn’t surprised when he ended up near Fred’s grave. But someone was already there.

He could see the shadow of someone, who from the outline of horned rimmed glasses, Harry could tell, was Percy.

“Fred, I am so sorry. I was such a git, and you were right. I was a real prat and maybe if I had realized that earlier you wouldn’t have…” his voice drifted slowly away. “I only wish that I had been quicker. An older brother always has the responsibility to look after his younger siblings, and I failed you little brother. I never failed a test in my life, not on OWLs or NEWTs but now I realize that I would give all the Head Boy badges in the world to have you back.” Harry stood quietly, not wanting to intrude.

Percy continued, “All those times I complained about how annoying you were, and yelled at you for your stupid jokes, well now I’ve come to realize that really, I was jealous. You were such a happy kid, never a care in the world. I only wish that I would have told you just once how proud I was of you little brother…”

Tears streamed down Percy’s face as he backed away and turned towards the Burrow. He never saw Harry.

“You know,” said Harry, glancing over at the grave, “he might not have been the total git we all thought he was.”

Not wanting to be there any longer he turned back to the Burrow”to his home.
Chapter Endnotes: Hopefully the next chapter will be up soon! Until then...review!