Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter: The Following Year by ginnygirl16

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Here ye are! Thanks to RCC and MJ_Padfoot for betae'ing.
***
As the Hogwarts Express rolled into Hogsmeade Station, Harry glanced out the window with a smile on his face. He was back.

The clatter of forks and scraping plates filled the Great Hall, as Harry sat at the far end of the Gryffindor table.

He glanced around the hall, which was sparkling magnificently. The four house banners were hanging from the starry-skied ceiling. Professor McGonagall was sitting in the very middle of the staff table; her piercing eyes staring down at the students, as though daring them to step out of line. When she caught Harry staring at her though, she gave him a small smile.

Harry smiled to himself. Looking around, you could not even tell that a battle had occurred here only months before. The House-Elves and Ministry workers had done a wonderful job.

Harry glanced across the table towards Ron and Hermione, who were holding hands. Hermione was sitting up very straight and stiff, her Head Girl badge gleaming in the light. She looked very important.

Harry had to stop himself from laughing, as he watched Luna--who was sitting over at the Ravenclaw table, conjure a couple butterflies, which were now fluttering around her head.

After the desserts had vanished, leaving the students with full stomachs, Professor McGonagall stood up.

“May I have your attention please?" She paused as the Great Hall quieted down. Harry looked towards McGonagall and she continued, “As the new Headmistress, I am pleased to welcome our old students back to Hogwarts, as well as to give a special welcome to our new first years. I hope that you will all work very hard this year at your studies, and put some effort towards winning points for your houses.” She looked down on them all as if to say, “Or else!”

“As most of you know, our school has been under very large repairs this summer, and while the Ministry of Magic has been working very hard to have the castle ready for students by the start of term, there are still some reparations being done around the school, and therefore I must ask you to avoid those areas for now. A notice has been posted in each of your Common Rooms which label the classes that have been temporarily moved, and the areas which are out of bounds at the present time.”

Harry felt a pair of eyes on him, and as he turned around he knew who it was.

Draco Malfoy was staring across the Great Hall at Harry, from the Slytherin table, where he was surrounded by his usual friends; Pansy, Goyle, Zabini, and some other seventh-year students. When he saw Harry though, he quickly turned his head.

“I also wish you to welcome our newest staff member, Professor Percy Weasley. He has taken over my post of Transfiguration. Professor Weasley is also the new Gryffindor Head-of-House,” said Professor McGonagall, gesturing towards Percy.

Not a rude gesture or anything, thought Harry, as he turned away from Malfoy and clapped his hands politely, along with everyone else to welcome, the now very pompous-looking, Percy.

Malfoy was now staring straight ahead, but he didn’t seem to be taking in a word of what Professor McGonagall was saying. Harry noticed that his usual pale face looked paler then ever. He remembered reading in the Daily Prophet that Lucius Malfoy had been sentenced to five years in Azkaban, after his trial. Harry suspected that once again, the large donations of gold were the only thing stopping the Ministry from giving Lucius a life-sentence.

“…Anyone who wishes to tryout for their house Quidditch team should speak to their captains. And finally, it is my pleasure to announce that this May, in honor of the one-year anniversary of the defeat of the You-Know-Who, the Minister of Magic wishes to host a memorial service, which will be followed by a feast, and then”” and here, McGonagall pursed her lips, “”a dance.”

Excited whispers broke out almost immediately, before they were broken by the Headmistress, who had raised her hands for quiet.

“Classes will be postponed that day, and any student who wishes to invite family members may do so. I must say that I am looking forward to the event, and will let you know more as the date approaches. And now, you are all dismissed for bed. Classes start tomorrow at nine a.m. sharp. I expect you all to arrive on time, and ready to learn.”

Harry, Ginny and Neville joined the queue; waiting to leave. Ron and Hermione had already left to fulfill their Prefect duties”Hermione looking extremely important in her new Head Girl badge.

Harry saw Luna from a distance away at the Ravenclaw table and waved at her, before turning and continuing his way towards the Gryffindor Common Room.


“So Harry, a dance”” said Ginny, with a smile on her face. “Should be fun shouldn’t it?”

“I suppose so…” trailed Harry, remembering all too well what happened last time he went to a dance.

“I don’t suppose you have any idea who you might take?” Ginny asked slyly.

Harry grinned devilishly, “You know, that blonde Hufflepuff over there looks decent, what about her?”

"Hmmm, she looks very nice. I'm thinking about taking Seamus...I've heard he's a terrific dancer. What do you think?"

"You can't be serious!" exclaimed Harry, a little too loudly, as many heads turned to face him.

He lowered his voice. "You aren't really going to go with him are you Gin?" He sincerely looked worried.

Ginny slapped him and laughed, “Oh Harry! I just can't believe you sometimes!”

As they arrived in the Common Room, Harry felt the blaze of heat coming from the fireplace, and suddenly felt quite tired.

He kissed Ginny goodnight before heading up the stairs to his dormitory.

***

Sometime later, Ron came in. His ears were glowing red, and he had a stupid grin on his face.

Harry turned towards him. "Where've you been?" he asked, sleepily--not too sure that he wanted to know.

Harry laughed as Ron mumbled something that sounded an awful lot like "Hermione... said goodnight...awfully hot in here..."

Harry rolled back onto his bed.

"Goodnight Ron," he murmured across the room. Ron however, was already sound asleep--snoring.

Harry grinned into his pillow. It was good to be back.
***
Chapter Endnotes: Thanks for reading! As always, please review!

--ginnygirl16