Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter: The Following Year by ginnygirl16

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Here it is! Thank you everyone for all your lovely reviews. Special thanks goes out to Afifa for jumping in and beta'eing this one for me. *hugs*
***
“Welcome to Advanced Transfiguration. In case you did not catch Headmistress McGonagall’s announcement last night, I am Professor Weasley, and I will be your teacher this year. I hope that you will all study hard, and pay attention in class, so that you will be able to pass your N.E.W.T.s at the end of the year. Which leads us to our first lesson; as part of your N.E.W.T. examination, you will be tested on your ability to focus.

“Focusing is the center point of all elements of Transfiguration, and is an art of magical training. The mind plays a vital role in the ability of your magic. For some of you, the idea that something else is involved in performing a spell, besides your wand and muttering an incantation, may be a hard concept for you to grasp. However, whether you know it or not, subconsciously, your mind has been focusing since the first day you tried to cast a spell, or the first time that you tried to walk.

“The act of focusing itself is very simple. Yet, many wizards cannot perform some of the most basic spells because they have other things in their minds. True, you may be concentrating on the piece of magic that you are trying to perform, but somewhere in the back of your head you are thinking about that girl who smiled at you while you were walking down the hall.

“You are all of age to complete your Apparation training. Yet, how many of you had, and still have trouble getting yourself from one spot to another? Splinching is the result of an unfocused mind. You need to be concentrated, focused on the task at hand, and able to wipe all other thoughts from your mind. This is the main reason why so many people cannot do Occlumency. You need to be able to focus on one thought”one object, or else your barrier will slip”allowing your enemy to take control of your mind.

“Most of the Transfiguration taught this year will rely on the focused mind. If you cannot concentrate solely on the task at hand you will fail. The Transfiguration that you will learn this year is more complex than anything you have ever seen before and…”

Harry looked around the classroom as Percy droned on. No one, with the exception of Hermione”who was taking notes at top speed, trying to catch every word that Percy said, was paying attention.

Seamus was flinging paper balls at Lavender who was gossiping away to Parvati. Ginny was yawning very loudly, as if trying to give Percy some sort of a clue as to how boring his lesson was becoming.

Ron turned around in his seat and looked at Harry.

“He had me lost after he started on “art of magical training,” or whatever it was he said.”

Harry laughed. “It sounds as if he’s reading something out of a book.” He looked at Ron. “He isn’t, is he?”

Ron shrugged, “Knowing Percy, he probably is.”

From beside him, Ginny had now decided to give up yawning, and was now doing a very good imitation of snoring. Her head was on her desk, and her eyes were closed. If Harry had not seen her wink at him, he would have thought she had fallen asleep.

Percy didn’t seem to notice that the entire class had began to watch and laugh at his sister, rather than listening to what he was saying, until a particularly loud snore turned his attention towards Ginny.

“Ah…yes…well, I suppose that concludes the lesson for today.” A sigh of relief filled the classroom. “I would like you all to use the rest of your time to summarize what I have just said. It’s to be handed in tomorrow. Also read chapter one in your copy of An Advanced Wizards Guide to Transfiguration. Tomorrow, we will begin applying everything that you have learnt today. I know that you will learn the proper way to perform this in Defence Against the Dark Arts, but still, I am going to try and enter your mind, and you will use Occlumency to block me. Practice emptying your mind tonight. You will be graded on your performances.” This last statement was followed by a number of loud groans around the classroom, except for Hermione who was now asking Percy whether he thought six pages of parchment would be enough for the summary.

***
That’s my final decision, get out of here before I jinx you!” Harry shouted at a number of Gryffindors who had shown up for tryouts. He was feeling a numerous amount of strain as the Quidditch Captain this year, especially when the entire Gryffindor house, as well as a number of Ravenclaws, Hufflepuffs, and even a few Slytherins, had shown up to watch the Gryffindor Quidditch tryout.

“Just ignore them,” Hermione had said as they had walked down to the Quidditch pitch that morning. “They’re only here because you are “famous Harry Potter”.”

Ignore them, yeah right, thought Harry. Most of the students who had tried out today hadn’t even been interested in making the team. Most of them had just wanted his autograph, and to have their picture taken beside him.

In the end though, he had managed to put together a team. Ginny, Dean, and Seamus would be playing Chasers, while Peakes and Coote returned from two years previous, were to play Beaters. Ron had once again played amazingly as the Keeper and would also be returning. Though, Harry had suspected that the real reason for Ron’s outstanding play was Hermione watching in the audience. It seemed that every time Ron made a save he would turn towards Hermione, puff out his chest, and smirk; something which Ginny found very amusing.

“Get your eyes off Hermione and back on the Quaffle, Ron!” Ginny had yelled down the pitch, towards her brother after he had made a save and then gave a dramatic bow to the audience, turning Ron’s attention to the game permanently.

***
Harry was feeling worn out. It was only the third day of school and all ready he was tired. Percy had performed Legilimency on the seventh year Transfiguration students that day. The examination had not gone well for Harry, who had never been able to grasp Occlumency and was mortified when Percy viewed a few memories of Harry and Ginny, things which an older brother does not wish to see. Harry was kissing Ginny after the Quidditch match… Harry broke up with Ginny…it was Harry’s birthday and he was in Ginny’s room…After the last one, Harry felt a sharp pang in his head as Percy withdrew himself from Harry’s mind.

“Ten points from Gryffindor. You best work on that Occlumency, Potter, or you’ll fail the N.E.W.T.,” Percy said with a disgusted look at Harry, and while everyone else was talking he whispered into his ear menacingly, “And Harry, you better hope that I never see that again.”

Harry looked embarrassed as Ron came over.

“What happened?”

“Oh, well, Percy was performing Legilimency on me and he kind of saw me…uhh…kissing Ginny…a lot…” Harry said this all very quickly as Ron burst out laughing.

“Wow, you’re never going to live that one down, Percy’s been scarred for life.”

“Yeah, well, you better hope that you are able to perform Occlumency or else Percy’s going to find himself in the middle of a snogging session between you and Hermione next,” Harry retorted.

Ron’s ears turned red. “Right, well, I better go practice then,” he murmured, as he headed off to the other side of the classroom.

“What’s going on?” asked Ginny, coming over to talk to Harry.

“Oh nothing. Hey, Ginny, I just wondering…are you any good at Occlumency?”

Ginny looked at him. “Occlumency? Why do you ask?”

“Oh, no reason,” said Harry glancing towards Percy who was watching the pair of them suspiciously. This was going to be a long year.

***
Chapter Endnotes: There you go. I hope you enjoyed. Continue to review. Chapter eight will hopefully follow soon.
--ginnygirl16