Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

One Sweet Love by AlexPotter

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Here we go, people. Chapter one of my story. A huge thank you to Azhure for being a wonderful beta!

I don't own Harry Potter or any characters from it. They all belong to the fantastic JK Rowling.


Standing on platform nine and three-quarters, I was getting slightly annoyed. Okay, slightly is an understatement; I was fuming!

There were students everywhere. The Hogwarts Express seemed to mirror my frustration as the driver blew the whistle, letting everyone know they'd be left behind if they didn't get on the train that very second.

“Let's go, first years,” I said, smiling down at them. They looked terrified. “I'm a Prefect “ don't worry. You're in safe hands.”

After ushering them into a compartment, I turned and strode down the narrow corridor in pursuit of the Prefect's Carriage, which was situated near the front of the train.

I had been made a Prefect in my previous year. It wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Firstly, trying to study for your OWL's and having Prefect duties really did not go well together. Secondly, younger students see you as an authority figure. While this may not be a bad thing for the most part, some of the little bleeders thought it would be funny to slip toadspawn into my pumpkin juice one morning during breakfast. I had even been on the receiving end of a Bat Bogey Hex cast by a disgruntled second year who’d had a hissy fit when I told her I couldn't get her on a date with Harry Potter.

Being a Prefect did have its advantages, though. We had our own bathroom, complete with over fifty different taps, each producing a different colour or fragranced bubble bath, and the softest towels that Galleon's could buy. Oh, and there was the fact my fellow Hufflepuff Prefect was Cedric Diggory.

Lost in my daydream, I clearly wasn't looking where I was going. Before I knew it, I had walked into a solid figure and had landed on my arse on the corridor floor.

“Whoops,” a sexy voice said, chuckling. “You really have to stop wandering around aimlessly, Lisa.”

Looking up, I narrowed my eyes at Cedric, trying not to laugh.

“Are you going to just let me sit here, or are you going to help me up?”

“That all depends,” Cedric said, his crooked smile making my heart race. “Do you want to tell me what you were thinking about?” He cocked his head to one side, and held out his hand to help me up.

“I certainly do not,” I said light-heartedly, grabbing hold of his hand. He pulled me up from the floor with ease. Good-looking, witty and strong... I thought. Damn him!

“Shame.” He smiled, holding open the door of the Prefect's Carriage. I entered and sat down as I realised my fellow Prefects had all seen me fall flat on my arse. I couldn't even look at them straight.

The Head Boy and Girl (Paul Oulson from Ravenclaw and Katie Clark of Gryffindor) gave us the usual briefing. About half way through, I worked up the courage to look up from the floor. Cedric was eyeing me quizzically, and I knew he was thinking about the brief meeting we had back home on Stoatshead Hill.

“Are you alright?” he mouthed across the Carriage.

I nodded in response. Cedric smiled, and he turned to face Paul and Katie once more.

I couldn't take my eyes off him. Why does he always have this effect on me? I wondered to myself. I've liked him since we both became Prefects, but this is just ridiculous. No wonder Corina thinks I'm a lunatic!

Corina was my best friend. We'd met on the Hogwarts Express in our first year, and were both sorted into Hufflepuff house. I told her absolutely everything, including, much to my dismay, the fact I found Cedric Diggory the most attractive man at Hogwarts.

I was quickly snapped out of my own thoughts, yet again, but this time by a sharp, clear voice.

“Lisa! Have you heard anything I have said?” Paul said pompously.

I looked around, panicking.

“I'll take that as a 'no', then,” he said, sighing. “For Lisa's benefit, we shall go over this once more. This year, Hogwarts shall be host to Beauxbatons Academy of Magic and Durmstrang Institute as we hold the Triwizard Tournament. I advise you to keep this secret information under your hats, as Prefects and the Head Boy and Head Girl are the only students who are to know of this until the feast this evening. You may now go and rejoin your friends, but I would like you to patrol the corridors; starting with the Slytherin Prefects.”

I sighed, relieved, and left the carriage. I had just started to look for Corina, when I heard someone call my name.

“Lis, wait,” Cedric said, coming towards me.

I froze. No-one's ever called me ’Lis’ before...

I turned to face him and waited as he approached.

“I just wanted to check you were really all right. I was worried after I saw you on Stoatshead Hill,” Cedric said, a caring smile on his lips.

“Honestly, I'm fine... That was nothing,” I said, blushing slightly at the memory. “I must have looked an awful mess that evening. I apologise.”

“If you ever want to talk, then come and find me,” he said, running his fingers through his hair. “I've been told I'm an excellent listener.”

It took me a while to realise I was staring at him. His grey eyes seemed to be locked on mine, and my heart was beating like a drum against my rib cage. Say something. Anything. Anything at all is better than this...

A sharp, clear voice seemed to snap us both out of our reverie.

“Cedric! There you are.” A young girl, no older than sixteen had stopped beside Cedric. I felt stomach drop when she stood up on her tiptoes and kissed his cheek. Of course; he has a girlfriend. How could he not have?

“Lis, this is Cho Chang. Cho, meet Lisa Harris.”

My eyes flitted to the girl's features. She had long, straight black hair and was of a thin, almost athletic build. Her face looked oddly familiar, but I couldn't quite place her.

“Nice you meet you!” Cho said sincerely before turning to Cedric. “We're in number twenty-one. Are you coming now, or did I interrupt something?”

Cedric's eyes flickered to mine. If the eyes really are the windows to the soul, I'm in big trouble.

He turned to Cho and smiled. “You didn't interrupt anything.” He turned to me. “I'll see you later, Lis...”

Silently, I nodded. Watching him walk away, my heart seemed to slow to its usual rhythm. I stood still for a few seconds to regain some composure, and stalked off in the opposite direction. I soon found Corina in a carriage all to herself.

Almost as soon as I sat down, Corina knew that something was wrong. Without thinking, I took the time to explain what had happened yesterday afternoon on Stoatshead Hill, not missing any important details about Matt. I told her about the way Cedric's eyes had met mine and how he had walked me home. I told her about the meeting we'd just had and how my eyes didn't leave his for the entirety of it. My voice cracked as I told her about Cho and the tears started to fall freely down my face.

“Oh, Lisa.” Corina sighed, sitting next to me. “He's an idiot if he doesn't realise how you feel.”

I shook my head and sighed. “It doesn't matter anymore. I give up.”

I lay down on the upholstered bench, my body slumping in defeat.


* * * * * * * * * *

Three hours later, I found myself sitting in the Great Hall enjoying the feast. As always, the food was exquisite, and it completely satisfied my hunger.

Across from me, Corina was deliberately reaching halfway down the table to pick her food, peering across at the Ravenclaw table to get a better look at Cho Chang.

“Stop that!” I hissed, glaring in her direction. “Just forget about whatever I told you!”

She sighed and sat back in her seat, ripping into a chicken leg. I was determined not to let this beat me. After all, he was only a boy...

Professor Dumbledore chose this moment to stand up and reiterate the rules regarding the Forbidden Forest. However, this year, there was a surprise.

“It is also my painful duty to inform you that the inter-house Quidditch Cup will not take place this year.”

Around me, everyone gasped. I, personally, had never found anything even remotely interesting in Quidditch, but I couldn't help but look over at Cedric. He looked absolutely distraught.

“As I was saying,” Professor Dumbledore continued, “we are to have the honour of hosting a very exciting event over the coming months, an event which has not been held for over a century. It is my very great pleasure to inform you that the Triwizard Cup will be taking place at Hogwarts this year.”

Separate gasps resounded around the room. Professor Dumbledore took the time to explain to the students of Hogwarts what the Triwizard Tournament involved. As a Prefect, I had already been briefed on this subject, but coming from Professor Dumbledore it sounded even more wondrous. It was a chance for Hogwarts to pick one champion to represent the school in a series of dangerous tasks. The winner would win the Triwizard Cup and one thousand Galleons.

The Great Hall erupted at the mention of the prize money.

“The delegations from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang will be arriving in October, and remaining with us for the greater part of the year. I know you will extend every courtesy to our foreign guests while they are with us, and will give your whole-hearted support to the Hogwarts Champion when he or she is selected. And now, it is late, and I know how important it is to you all to be alert and rested as you enter your lessons tomorrow morning. Bedtime! Chop chop!”

I hung onto the bench for dear life as they moved backwards from the table, allowing the students to file out. After six years, I still haven't gotten used to that...

“First years “ this way please!” I called over the noise of the exiting students.

I knew the task of herding the new first years would make me so busy that I wouldn't be able to think about Cedric. I was glad about that.


* * * * * * * * * *

It was eleven o'clock before I finally got into bed. As expected, Corina was awake and waiting for me.

“Not a bad bunch this year,” I whispered to her, climbing into bed. “I can't see any potential Bat-Bogey-Hexers in this intake.”

Corina sniggered in the darkness and then she was silent for a few minutes before she spoke again.
“It's going to be harder tomorrow, you know,” she said flatly.

I sat up slightly. Through the dark, I could make out her silhouette in the shadows.

“I know.” I sighed. “What am I going to do?”

“Play hard to get,” she said, almost instantly. “Make him want you half as much as you want him.”

I sighed. “Corina, this is me we're talking about here. I'm clumsy, stubborn, and let's face it “ I'm rather retarded.”

“Lisa, you can't let your past experiences with Matt stop you this time.”

Her words were as sharp as a knife. Remembering Matt made me want to claw my own eyes out... but I knew she was right.

“Okay,” I said, finally accepting defeat. “I'll do it. Now, go to sleep before I come over there and push you out of bed for being so blunt!”
Chapter Endnotes: Please please please rate and review, whether you love it, hate it or are indifferent. It'd mean so much to me! Thanks!