Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Draco's Transformation by Shena

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
CHAPTER 11:

A week, two days and several hours later...

The Hall was a deafening roar of noise made by the excited throng of students assembled and waiting to be let out to the Quidditch stands. Both the Gryffindor and Slytherin teams were absent from the mob, preparing for the big game. Fortunately the weather had improved, sending light streams of sunlight through patches of dispersing cloud. But the temperature had definitely subdued, much to the student’s (and teacher’s) immense relief.

A cool refreshing breeze caressed the leaves of the Whomping Willow and butterflies fluttered in dangerous proximity of it’s assumingly calm branches. The lake seemed just as restless as the students, and several people swore they saw the giant squid pop its enormous head out of the water. Perhaps it felt the buzz of excitement emanating from the crowd and was curious to see what the fuss was all about.

Amongst the rabble, a sole student struggled to make her way to the front doors and, using her wand, projected her voice in order to silence the anxious babbles.

‘If everyone will please cooperate and join your houses we might be able to make our way to the stands TODAY.’ Hermione said impatiently. When everyone had followed her instruction, she continued.

‘All right, in order of house names called out you may cross to your customary seats. First Hufflepuff. Gryffindor, Slytherin, Ravenclaw.’

When everyone had left, Hermione wasted no time in following them to her own stand where Ginny had saved her a spot. Although Hermione was not altogether concerned with sport, she couldn’t help being excited to watch the Quidditch matches. Especially when Gryffindor was playing, naturally.

From where she stood, Hermione had a clear view of the sandy field below and of the teacher’s reserved posts. Dumbledore looked younger than ever, unable to hide the enthusiasm in his expressive smile.

The only impartial looking person in the whole school was Snape, that being of no circumstance at all. In fact, it was unlikely that anybody in the history of their schooling years had EVER seen the slightest smile twitch at the side of the man’s lips. He was either always wearing a scowl, or a mocking sort of half attempted smirk. If he ever assumed any other emotions, they were cleverly masked behind his countenance.

A tiny figure appeared suddenly, making it’s way toward the centre of the field. Madam Hooch prepared herself, adjusting her goggles and placing the whistle around her neck. In a matter of moments, the commentator, Hayden Jordan (Lee Jordan’s younger brother in fifth year), was shouting out the team’s names. ‘Gryffindor! Slytherin!’

As usual, the Slytherin’s booing drowned out the cheers from Gryffindor, but they were soon avenged when the Gryffindors simultaneously took out their wands and created a massive and impressive image of a lion in the air and began chanting ‘Gryffindor will win! Gryffindor will conquer! Gryffindor will show you who’s boss!’ The Slytherin’s, who had certainly NOT been expecting this, were quickly rendered silent. Then the Gryffindor’s erupted into cheers as Madam Hooch gave the whistle signal that the game was about to commence.

‘Captains shake hands,’sShe ordered, voice firm and warning expression fixed on Harry and Malfoy as they slowly cupped hands, almost immediately removing them. When Madam Hooch turned her gaze toward the other members of the teams, Malfoy openly wiped his hand on his pristine looking uniform.

Harry eyed him coolly, ‘I wouldn’t worry about your hand Malfoy. It’ll take a lot more than that to rid the disease off mine. Probably a scalpel and some acid will do the job.’

Malfoy’s face reddened with rage. ‘If you think that will help,’ he spat.

Harry’s team was ushered to the other side of the field, delaying any further rivalry. As Malfoy fumed, his gaze drifted fleetingly toward the stands, catching a glimpse of the proud clustered Gryffindors, Hermione in the centre of them. She peered suspiciously at him but the distance was too far for her to have heard what had been communicated between him and Harry. Their eyes met yet again, only briefly, and Hermione saw something flash through his eyes, even from her high position. But she could not fathom the meaning of it.

Before Malfoy returned his focus to the game, he saw Hermione frown slightly. What is she thinking about? Had she noticed his dispute with Harry?

Malfoy snorted aloud, causing the nearest of his teammates to give him a peculiar look but did not dare question him. What do I care anyway? He thought, dragging his gaze back to the present situation.

‘Mount your brooms!’ Said Madam Hooch. ‘Three...two...one...’ The sound of her whistle was lost in the roar of the crowd as all fourteen brooms elevated and the game began.

‘And it’s Slytherin in possession, Malcolm Baddock with the quaffle, heading straight for the Gryffindor goalposts- Andrew Kirke swings a bludger at him just missing- and he passes the Quaffle to Montague, who throughs it weakly at the goalposts, and yes! Ron Weasley saves the goal with an amazingly speedy swoop.’

‘Gryffindor in possession, Lavender Brown now neck to neck with Adrian Pucey, who, should I mention, needs to do something about his teeth. I mean, they stick out in all directions-‘

‘Hayden, I warned you not to behave like your brother did or I wouldn’t have given you the position!' Professor McGonagall exclaimed.

‘Sorry Professor!’ He said, obviously not meaning it.

‘Brown manages to divert Pucey and has scored the first points for the game! Well done Lavender!’ Hayden continued.

The Slytherins booed predictably but the Gryffindors were intent on overriding them for once. They raised their cheers so loudly that nothing else could be heard. The Slytherins were at a loss and visibly showed their irritation by making faces.

Adrian bared his teeth rudely at the Gryffindors.

‘Oh that’s disgusting. Close your mouth! Really, it would only take a simple spell to fix those teeth-’

‘Hayden!’ McGonagall roared.

‘But it’s true,’ he pleaded.

‘Do you want this position or shall I take over?’ She said warningly.

‘Fine,’ Hayden grumbled, his face an exact image of his older brother’s.

Far above the screaming crowd, Harry was busily searching for any sign of the Golden Snitch. The game had already been going for over ten minutes but he was yet to make any progress. As usual, he was determined to capture the Snitch and beat Slytherin again. Although in the past Gryffindor had always won, the previous year Slytherin had made a close comeback, beating them once in a game and coming awfully close to doing it again in their second game.

Harry hoped that the Slytherin’s luck had come and gone that year and he would be able to win the championship for a second time. They had missed out on the trophy the previous year, instead Ravenclaw had won it.

Somewhere close by, Malfoy surveyed the entire area unable to ascertain the hiding place of the liny golden object that would award him the victory he much longed for. It wasn’t fair that Gryffindor always won. What made them so good anyway? His team was certainly skilled, especially since Crabbe and Goyle had quit, complaining that it was too much exercise and their arms hurt after playing.

In the distance, Hayden’s voice was still audible and clear. ‘Twenty-five minutes into the game and the score is Gryffindor 60, Slytherin 50! But where is the golden snitch? It seems our Seekers are still searching- Yes! Gryffindor score again, Bletchley just missing the Quaffle- OOOWW! Jack Sloper hits a Bludger and almost hits Blaise Zabini in the face!’

Malfoy sighed. Come on team He thought. At least if we get ahead in points we still might win the game.

A glint of light suddenly caught his attention but as soon as he saw it, it vanished. Curious, Malfoy flew nearer the place he had seen it. Directly underneath the Ravenclaw stands, there was definitely something moving around. As Malfoy drew nearer, with great certainty he knew it was the Snitch. ‘Yes!’ He said to himself silently.

He tried to find a way to reach the Snitch but could find no large enough gap to grab it. It seemed as though the Snitch had got itself stuck inside the platforms and could not escape. A moment later Malfoy found Harry at his side.

‘What are you doing? Is the Snitch in there?’ Harry asked.

Malfoy frowned in frustration. ‘Yes Potter. But it’s stuck so don’t think you’ll be able to get it out yourself.’

Harry ignored him.

‘The Seekers seem to be doing something...I can’t see what they have found-’ Hayden’s voice echoed. All the students focussed on where Harry and Draco were positioned.

‘The Snitch is stuck under the stands!’ Harry shouted to Madam Hooch.

The whistle blew for time out. ‘All right teams, back into position. We’ll start again when the snitch is released!’

Only a minute transpired and the game recommenced. This time, the Snitch was certain not to become stuck again. But for the moment it was still nowhere to be seen. The opposing seekers circled the field, watching each other tentatively. They were both determined to catch it first.

Fifteen minutes later the score was Gryffindor, 80 and Slytherin 80. They were playing neck to neck, both teams equally skilled and determined.

Suddenly a glimmer of gold zoomed from the bottom of the field, rising upward. Both Harry and Draco seemed to notice it instantaneously. Without further ado they leaped into a dive, descending at a right angle. Hayden’s voice boomed across the stadium, the other onlookers holding their breath. Who would catch the Snitch?

With an effort that took all his will, Malfoy sped toward his goal. He could do it. He did not dare look to see if Harry had caught up with him. Just a little faster. Almost there. Almost...

Several gasps but mostly shocked silence greeted the end of the game. Nothing like this had ever happened in all of Hogwarts history.

Draco hand clasped half of the Snitch, his heart racing. On the other side, Harry clutched the other half, just as surprised at the event that had taken place.

‘And they catch it together! The game is finished and both houses draw!’ Cried Hayden when Professor McGonagall had urged him on.

Baffled cheers erupted from most students apart from Slytherin. Although some clapped, most looked incredibly disappointed. A Slytherin equal to a Gryffindor? It was unheard of!

From back down in the Gryffindor posts, Hermione jumped up and down with glee. Her hands clasped together, she felt hope stir in her heart. This had to be a sign. A sign of reunion perhaps. Whatever it was, it had to be good.

OR SO SHE THOUGHT...

The next few days were as unpleasant as ever. Not only did the Slytherins despise the Gryffindors with all their animosity, but Potions had also become a completely torturous event. It seemed that Snape was determined to make Gryffindor suffer for once again stealing total victory from his house. With every opportunity, he took points from Gryffindor. And not only small amounts either! He took point in tens or twenties. One time when Neville sneezed while he was giving a lecture, he took twenty-five points from him!

‘I don’t understand it,’ Hermione said disheartened. ‘Why can’t they tolerate coming tie with us?’

‘Because they are evil, malicious, good for nothing, stupid, obnoxious, ugly, revolting Slytherins!’ Cried Ron heatedly.

Harry didn’t respond. He hadn’t been ecstatic about his achievement either.

‘I just want to punch that Malfoy-’ Ron began.

‘Now, now Ron. Malfoy hasn’t been acting too badly if you haven’t noticed. He’s been acting rather quiet actually.’ Hermione observed.

‘Not too badly???’ He stopped, seeming to be at a loss of words.

Hermione rolled her eyes and said jubilantly. ‘Yes Ron. If you haven’t noticed, Malfoy has been on his best behaviour for some time now.’

Ron eyed her suspiciously. ‘You’ve had something to do with this haven’t you?’

Hermione remained silent. Ron turned to Harry.

‘Did you know about this?’ He demanded.

‘Well...’ Harry began.

‘Why was I not informed?’ Asked Ron, in a slightly offended tone.

‘Because you’ve been hanging around Louise all the time. We didn’t want to spoil your fun with her-’

‘Oh bollox!’ Said Ron. ‘Well, are you going to tell me what happened?’

Hermione shrugged. ‘I suppose. But wait until we are in the Common Room and have some privacy.’

SLYTHERIN COMMON ROOM

Draco lay sprawled indolently across a soft green couch, his legs crossed and his focus fixed on a Transfiguration textbook. Outside it was still rather warm but in the dungeons it was always chilly. Therefore the hearth was alight and blazing, emanating golden light and illuminating his pale features. Almost everyone had retired for the night, leaving him in peace. He didn’t mind taking a late night because the next day was Saturday and he’d be able to sleep in.

Only three people remained in the Common Room, watching him and whispering from across the room. As one rose from the chair, the others followed suit pacing softly toward where Draco rested. With the sense of movement nearby, he was interrupted from his meditation, perceiving the approaching intrusion. With an irritated grumble, he readied himself for a disagreeable conversation.

He didn’t have time for idiocy, the only qualities known to his unfortunate companions. Truly if it were not for his father’s influence, he would not associate with such dishonourable fools. They were a shame to the Slytherins. But he had to make the best of his situation and therefore forced himself to tolerate their insolence. Not that he didn’t occasionally pride in their admiration for him...

‘Draco.’

‘Pansy. Crabbe, Goyle,’ he acknowledged their presence. ‘Can I help you?’

Pansy stood resolutely in front of him, Crabbe and Goyle at her sides.

‘We just wanted a word with you about...’ She stammered nervously.

‘About?’ He said.

‘About your behaviour lately,’ she finished.

‘What about it?’ Draco asked in a bored tone.

‘Well, you’ve been acting differently these days. Almost, as if your fire has died,’ she continued.

Draco stared at her for some moments before responding. ‘In what way have I changed?’

She had been expecting the question. ‘You just don’t seem to care about things anymore. And you don’t even act nastily toward those bothersome Gryffindors. What’s happened to you?’

Draco sighed impatiently, not wanting to reveal the real reasons. ‘I’ve just been very busy these days, with study as you can see.’ He gestured to his book. ‘And I suppose you could say I’m quite bored with fighting lately. I have better things to do.’

Pansy frowned. ‘Draco, I’m just worried about you. I’ve never seen you like this before. Are you sure you’re all right, nothing you need to tell me?’

‘I can assure you that I am better than ever. If I have anything I need to get off my chest, you will be the first to know.’ He ended in a distinct note of finality.

Pansy exchanged glances with Crabbe and Goyle before nodding her understanding. ‘Very well, good night.’

Draco waited for the three to leave. Then he relaxed back into the lounge, placing the book on his knee. He groaned softly to himself. They were right. He was changing and all because of Granger. But as much as he tried to feel resentment, he knew it wasn’t real. Somewhere along the lines he had grown accustomed to her know it all attitude and snobbish personality. He still hated Potter, Weasley and all of Gryffindor but Hermione stood apart from them. It was probably due to the events that had occurred between them this year that had sewn a connection. They shared something.

Draco laughed suddenly. What would his father think? What would everyone think if they new his thoughts? It was ironic that he should be...civil toward no just any Gryffindor, but a muggle born. Not being able to control his feelings, he would simply have to conceal them. Nobody was allowed to know about his secret predicament.