Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Draco's Transformation by Shena

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
CHAPTER 12

The ceiling radiated a hazy glow of grey light over the gloomy Great Hall. The weather, after being so sunny just the day before, seemed to be influencing everyone’s mood because there was no sound of the usual cheerful chatter. Nobody puzzled over the absence of several teachers from the staff table except for Hermione perhaps, who pointed out that the lack of Dumbledore was probably the cause for the despondent atmosphere.

‘This is quite unusual really. What do you think is going on?’ She said observantly.

‘It’s probably nothing Hermione,’ Ron grumbled.

A rush of feathers flapping overhead announced the arrival of the post. Many gasps were audible at the sight, for there had never been quite so many owls flock into the Hall at the same time. There were masses of them dropping newspapers and letters all over the place. A few girls shrieked and ducked their heads as owls swooped in all directions.

‘What’s going on?’ Dean called over the noise but no one could answer.

All at once the owls began to disperse as they rushed out the huge windows surrounding the Hall leaving mounds of feathers and mail behind. Silence greeted the departure.

Slowly, students began to pick up letter after letter. Soon the noise returned as in every corner people were skipping pages of their Daily Prophet, their expressions revealing fear and astonishment.

‘Bloody hell…’ Ron said, gazing transfixed at a huge headline and picture in the paper.

Hermione gulped at the expression on both Ron and Harry’s face. She couldn’t quite work out whether it was a good or bad thing.

Gradually the article came into view and words and sentences began popping out at her from all directions.

Two men dead, one a Muggle…believed to be the deadliest curse…

New security measures…won’t let them escape again…

Minister answers reporters…prudent that people be wary…

Eight Death Eaters captured, believed to be more hiding…

Azkaban, Goyle, Dolohov, Kingsley, Mcnair, Nott, L and N Malfoy…

Malfoy…Malfoy…Malfoy…Malfoy…

‘Hermione are you ok?’ Harry asked, snapping her back to reality.

‘Huh?’ Was all she was able to reply for at that moment all heads turned to see Dumbledore rush into the Hall followed by a wide-eyed McGonagall and Professor Snape.

‘QUIET!’ The Hall fell silent immediately. Dumbledore looked very grave as he stood there, hardly fatigued for all the running he must have done to race here.

Malfoy, Goyle, will you kindly accompany me to my office?’ Dumbledore said evenly.

From the Slytherin table two figures stood and walked slowly to the head of the Hall, avoiding the hundreds of eyes that followed their every move. Draco’s face showed no expression, no thought, just the usual pale coldness but Goyle was struggling to keep his calm. He fumbled nervously and even seemed to be perspiring.

Dumbledore quickly faced the rest of the school. ‘The rest of you go on with your meals and please do not overreact about the situation.’

When he had left many of the other teachers surveyed the tables making sure people didn’t make a fuss.

‘Don’t overreact?’ Said Ron in exasperation. ‘How can we not? Eight Death Eaters were just caught, this is fantastic!’

‘But Ron they will probably escape again like they did last time,’ Harry reminded him.

‘And two people died as well,’ Hermione heard her voice say softly. Although she knew she should be rejoicing inside, she couldn’t help feeling a tiny speck of worry for Draco. What would happen to him with his parents in prison?

*-*

‘Please take a seat,’ Dumbledore gestured to two cushiony seats near his desk.

Though Draco had never been in the room, he felt oddly secure in it. But his mind was hardly wondering about the magnificent telescope looking object in the corner or the brightly glowing Pensieve showing from the ajar cupboard or the amazing portraits on the walls that were staring curiously at him. Inside he was fuming with anger. All those years of hard work and service his parents had laboured through. And for what? Prison life? Look where that left him, bloody alone!

Dumbledore breathed a deep sigh and sat on his majestic lofty chair. ‘A drink?’ He offered but both boys declined (though Goyle had been tempted).

‘It is a very unfortunate event that has occurred as you are both well aware of. I am sure you both are still recovering from the shock of this news and it must be quite a painful concept to realise what your parents have been involved with behind your back.’ Dumbledore’s eyes twinkled mysteriously and Draco could tell that Dumbledore was aware of both his and Goyle’s knowledge of their parent’s misdeeds.

‘Will we be thrown out?’ Goyle asked, his voice shaky with apprehension.

‘Oh lord no,’ said Dumbledore reassuringly. ‘We would not punish the child for what the parent has done.’

‘Then why are we here?’ Goyle asked.

‘To inform you of the proceedings that have been decided by the Ministry,’ Dumbledore looked intently at Goyle. ‘Mr. Goyle, due to the imprisonment of your father, the ministry is keeping a close suspicious eye on your mother. Though she was not found at the scene of the crime and though I am sure there is no reason to think she was involved, they want to be careful and guarded. So you can understand why they place these precautions.’

Goyle remained silent, taking the information in bit by slow bit. Dumbledore continued.

‘The decision made is that it would be unhealthy for you to return to your home during the following summer and therefore you will remain with your mother’s parents. They will look after you until further notice.’

Almost five seconds later and Goyle’s eyes widened with comprehension. ‘My grandparents? But I can’t stay with them!’

‘Why is that?’ Dumbledore asked politely.

Goyle fought hard to restrain himself from panicking. ‘They live on a fruit and vegetable diet! They are so strict about it and never ever let you bring cookies into the house.’

A short intermission of silence followed this ridiculous outburst. ‘I am sorry that I cannot help you with this…awkward situation. Perhaps you will have to talk to them about it yourself and try to work it out.’

Goyle did not seem satisfied with that answer but the Headmaster quickly dismissed him before he could continue rambling on. Then there was only he and Draco left in the room. Dumbledore’s face creased with what seemed to be genuine concern, leaving Draco feeling strangely torn between a great loathing for the man and a newly sewn fondness toward him. His mind swum with mixed emotions that had developed over the recent course of events and did not know what to think. Everything was changing.

‘Dear Mr. Malfoy, it seems that your predicament is somewhat worse than that of your friend’s,’ he started.

‘Because both my parents are locked up?’ Draco conceded. He knew that this time they wouldn’t manage to escape. He had heard of the new security at Azkaban and the creatures there were nothing like the Dementors. They came from the deep forests, dark winged vicious monsters that were impossible to get passed. They only helped the Ministry because they too were heavily opposed to Lord Voldemort.

After his father’s escape from the prison only weeks after he had been sent there, he had lived alone with his mother. Lucious had stayed in Voldemort’s hide out along with the other Death Eaters. But now that his mother had been caught as well…

‘That is correct. Though this time you have no family to stay with. Until the end of year you will therefore be required to remain at this school. After that you will have graduated and will be able to find a place of your own.’ Dumbledore fell silent, looking at Draco expectantly.

‘What do you expect me to say?’ Draco replied.

‘Nothing that you do not want to Mr. Malfoy. All I offer you is my humble service while you reside in the castle and if ever you need me do not hesitate to come here.’ Dumbledore rose from his seat and benevolently showed Draco the way out.

Stiffly Draco made his way to the dormitory where he collected his books, making a meticulous effort to not be noticed. Not that he cared much but for the moment he did not feel like being questioned about his stay in the Headmaster’s office. Neither did he want to confront his newly developed respect for the old wizard.

He paused for a moment before heading to his first class. What was happening all of a sudden? His world was changing dramatically and not waiting for him to catch up. Firstly he finds himself confiding closely hidden feelings to a Mudblood whom he actually begins to befriend. Now his parents are gone, not that the news causes him much sorrow, and he has begun to respect the one person that his father, in fact his entire family and friends, have always despised (well one of the people, there was still Harry Potter). And the other day he had even forgotten to apply gel to his immaculate golden hair.

Things were not going the way they should. The stress of it all was definitely getting to him. Should he skip his classes for the day and rest? After all, he wouldn’t be missing out on much during Herbology and Ancient Runes. Practically useless subjects. They hadn’t been his choice at all. But they were apparently necessary for a high order career in the Ministry of Magic that Mr. Fudge would take him into close consideration because of his respect for Lucious.

Draco emitted an ironic laugh, he could say goodbye to his glamorous job at the Ministry. Nobody would hire him there after what had happened to his parents. What a damn pity.

In actual fact, Draco could only feel elated at the prospect. Couldn’t he now do what he wanted? But then again, The Dark Lord would probably expect him to follow his father’s path. This thought caused another rush of frustration to swell up inside Draco’s chest.

‘I had my whole life planned out for me. Can I not choose my own future?-’ He muttered.

‘Draco dear,’ came Pansy’s cajoling voice. Draco closed his eyes and ground his teeth. Not now, please.

‘Who are you talking to Draky?’ She smiled enticingly. Or at least it would be enticing to a Blast-ended Skrewt.

‘Nobody,’ he forced himself to say without sounding harsh.

‘Are you coming to class?’ She asked.

‘No, actually I feel a bit ill. Maybe I’ll go to the Hospital Wing.’

Draco feigned illness, and clutched his stomach awkwardly.

‘Of course I completely understand. After all you have been through this morning it isn’t a wonder. You go rest up and get better won’t you.’ To his immense relief Pansy headed off without another word.

But Draco felt trapped. Where would he confine himself? Obviously not in the Hospital Wing as it would be the first place the Slytherins would look. And not in his room because that would be the second place they would look. That only left the Room of Requirements. Would he risk getting caught again? It was highly unlikely that Hermione would search for him anyway so that would be the best place to stay for the rest of the day.

It was the best escape plan he had, so for obvious reasons he chose that course of action.

*To the Room of Requirements* For some time alone.


‘I thought I’d find you here,’ said Hermione, entering from the large wooden door.

Draco almost jumped into the ceiling. ‘What the hell are you doing here?’

Hermione had half expected this kind of reaction. ‘I just wanted to…see how you were coping.’

‘Fine on my own,’ he grumbled.

‘Well surely you knew I would look for you here,’ Hermione laughed.

‘Well actually I was under the impression that the likes of you wouldn’t come looking for me at all.’

‘Sorry for being concerned,’ Hermione back answered.

Draco was at a loss. Her manner was totally confusing him. ‘Why should you be concerned about me?’

She shrugged, not really knowing the answer to that question. After he had left the Great Hall everyone had started whispering that him and Goyle were going to be expelled and possibly sent to Azkaban as well. Of course she knew that was nonsense. But all the while she had been curiously restless, unable to stop worrying. Then it had occurred to her that maybe she really was worried about what happened to Draco. After all they had formed a sort of connection right?

Then Goyle had blundered out looking overly distressed and whining about having to go on a diet and that he was going to die and all the Slytherins patting and comforting him. What WAS he talking about? None of it made any sense at all. She had planned on finding out what was going on when she saw Draco in class but oddly enough he didn’t show up so she determinedly set out to find him. It didn’t take long.

‘Why shouldn’t I be?’ She retorted innocently.

‘Listen Herm- ah, Granger, we don’t like each other, we don’t talk to each other, we don’t get along!’ He exclaimed, trying hard not to fall into her trap.

Hermione frowned. ‘Listen, I know we haven’t started out on the right foot but I really think things are changing. And of course we talk, maybe not always nicely but we do still talk. As for liking each other, well I personally don’t hate you. Not anymore. And you don’t hate me either so why can’t we just get along with one another?’

Draco fought hard for words- and for sanity. ‘But, I can’t like you. I’m a Slytherin. Don’t you understand that?’

‘Naturally. Don’t you think it would be fantastic if both Gryffindor and Slytherin could finally unite? All the feuds would end and there would be peace. I think the tie between the two houses was a sure sign of peace. Don’t you agree?’ Hermione said.

‘The houses will never unite.’ He didn’t want to listen or empathise with Hermione.

Hermione sighed. ‘Look, I’m really trying to make an effort here. This isn’t easy for me either, trying to be nice to you. I just, I really think I see more in you and I have a feeling you don’t always act the way you feel. Am I right?’

‘You don’t know what I feel,’ Draco snapped.

‘No I don’t,’ Hermione admitted. ‘But I’m willing to find out if you let me.’

Hermione stopped speaking immediately. What was she saying?

Draco’s eyes widened. What was she saying?

He needed time out. Why did she sound so right? He was completely distancing himself from his own friends these days and now he felt a strange pull to listen to this girl that he never liked.

‘I-I don’t know what to say,’ He stammered.

Hermione hid a little smile of triumph. ‘You don’t need to say anything. It seems we have made a few deals already. Well I propose another.’

Draco looked up to see her hand extended toward him.

‘Friends?’ She said.

It took quite some time for Draco to realise what was happening. He couldn’t quite believe it really. And it wasn’t as though he wanted to make this deal, but something inside him squirmed. A wanting or a need that he couldn’t quite understand. When he looked at that slender arm reaching out to him he saw an acceptance or welcoming that he had never experienced before. Nobody had ever acknowledged him for him, not even the Slytherins. They had only followed him because of family power. Family. The word spun in his mind, almost an alien thought. He felt no grief for the loss of those people he hardly new, who had never cared for him.

As if it were not his own doing, his hand lifted and floated almost dreamlike over to Hermione’s hand. There they clasped together in a strong handshake.

‘Good,’ said Hermione, who was determined not reveal just how nervous she felt. ‘So what happened?’

Draco slowly explained his situation to her, about how he would have to stay at Hogwarts until the end of the year. All the while he talked he couldn’t help feel as though this scene was slightly surreal. Who would have thought he would be in this situation?

‘It won’t be that bad,’ Hermione reassured .

Draco nodded his agreement though he couldn’t see how it would actually be any good. He had only remained at the school for one holiday period before and though he had had his bodyguards (Crabbe/Goyle) with him it hadn’t been very exciting. This time, thankfully, they wouldn’t be staying with him.

‘You know your hair looks better without the gel,’ Hermione observed.

Draco’s eyes widened. ‘What?’ He began patting it back frantically before realising that it actually did have gel in it.

Hermione giggled despite her resolute control over herself. ‘Not now silly. I mean yesterday when it was…not gelled. It looked good.’

‘Oh, right,’ Draco said, somewhat perturbed. ‘Almost gave me a heart attack there.’

Hermione rolled her eyes. How typically vain of Draco. ‘You’re worse than those silly girls who I have to share a dormitory with.’

Draco let his jaw drop. ‘Are you comparing me to a mere Gryffindor girl? Please.’

Before she could react, Hermione noticed a glint of amusement in Draco’s eyes and realised he was teasing her. Draco teasing? Somehow the atmosphere between the two was the lightest it had ever been. Hermione became overjoyed. This was exactly what she had been planning for. Soon he would change and possibly Gryffindor and Slytherin would reunite despite of what he said.

That would certainly show Harry and Ron. They would just never learn that she knew better.

She let herself smile comfortably and for once he didn’t return a cold scowl (though he did seem to grow slightly uncomfortable).

This was Hermione’s cue. ‘All right well I had better hop back to class. You sure you don’t want to come?’

Draco considered this but decided against showing up to class with a Gryffindor. It would cause a fuss he was likely to not want to deal with. ‘No you go ahead. I still don’t feel too well.’

Hermione gave him a quizzical look but did not persist. ‘Goodbye then.’