Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Draco's Transformation by Shena

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
CHAPTER 13

With only two months of school left to go before the end of year, all students were readying themselves for exams but none were stressing as much as the seventh year students. Not only did they have to thoroughly prepare their minds for the two-week exam period, they also had to complete several other set tasks from the teachers. Fortunately for the Head Boy and Girl, the staff had decided to organise the end of year celebrations to take a little load off their shoulders.

The Slytherin Common Room contained an anxious atmosphere that circulated amidst the clusters of students studying or chattering. Fowl moods seemed to spread within the area like wild fire and often an older student would send a curse or two in the direction of a noisy younger Slytherin and tell them to ‘Shut up!’ (well that isn’t exactly what they said but it’s close enough). The air was so thick with tension that some people had to leave the vicinity to get some fresh air in order to remain sane.

With all the commotion gathering up in the Common Room, hardly anybody noticed Draco sitting alone at a desk doodling in his notebook. His mind was far from his books and any insignificant thing distracted his concentration. It wasn’t until he began fiddling with his clicking pen (some cheap muggle devise used for writing and came in four colours) that Adrian Pucey seemed to notice his presence.

‘Could you shut that bloody thing up Malfoy!’ The indignant Adrian growled.

Draco’s head lifted a few inches to see the deep-set frown imprinted upon Adrian’s forehead. He ignored the comment not caring about what best suited the ugly Slytherin and continued tapping languorously. He wouldn’t take orders from just anybody and certainly not a conceited moron.

Pucey became outraged by Draco’s behaviour and shot to his feet. ‘I said shut that thing up immediately!’

‘And why should I listen to you?’ Draco mocked.

‘Because if you don’t you’ll end up with a pretty black eye and a bent nose to go with it.’ Pucey snarled.

Draco sensed the challenge and stood up to match Adrian’s height. ‘Is that so?’

Adrian faltered for a moment but quickly regained himself. ‘That’s right Malfoy. You think you’re so tough but you know what, wake up and smell the fresh air! You’ve changed Malfoy, you’re not the big man anymore. Maybe you should go join your Gryffindor girlfriend.’

By now just about everyone present was staring at the two boys. They watched anxiously at the quarrel, some secretly placing bets upon which person would win in a fight. It would have been difficult to choose because both Slytherins were well built and strong.

‘What is that supposed to mean?’ Draco said in a low threatening tone.

‘Don’t play dumb with me, I’ve heard the rumours about you and the Mudblood,’ Pucey continued. He looked around for support and a few heads nodded their agreement.

‘I don’t need this now,’ Draco spat. ‘It was probably you who made up the stupid rumours in the first place. It wouldn’t surprise me, you have always been jealous of my presence.’

Draco turned to leave being totally fed up with the situation, but Pucey had a last say. ‘You’ve got nothing left Malfoy. Your parents are in prison and now you’ve lost all your self-respect because you’ve gone and fallen for that stupid Gryffindor. You’re pathetic, you’re a loser, you’re-’

Draco stopped dead in his tracks, unable to take this anymore. Blood boiling, he swung around and lunged at Adrian. There was a loud crack and several gasps that followed his hasty act.

Draco stared around at all the wide-eyed people and rubbed his knuckles. ‘That’ll teach anybody who tries to mess with a Malfoy.’

Nobody moved except for Malcolm Baddock, who helped Adrian to a seat. Blood was streaming out of his mouth and there was clear sight of a missing tooth.

Draco snorted with some amusement. ‘That’s an improvement on your teeth. You should look into getting more removed.’

Adrian snarled but did not retort. Malfoy left the Slytherin company, disgusted and completely weary of their arrogant idiocy.

*They are not my people, they are moronic toads who need a good beating to get some sense into their hollow heads. * Draco mused.

THE OTHER END OF THE CASTLE:

‘Hermione, are you alright?’

Hermione looked up from a daze to see Harry and Ron approaching with worried and curious expressions.

‘Yes of course I am all right. Just studying about…studying this…um, well I’m studying.’ She finished implausibly.

‘Right…’ Ron said slowly.

Hermione blushed because she realised that apart from the fact that she had no idea what she was reading, her mind had also been wondering to certain scenes that tended to involve Draco.

‘You haven’t turned a page in half an hour so naturally we were concerned.’ Said Harry, adopting a mocking tone.

Hermione gave him a little slap on the arm. ‘It must be all the stress that’s making me fatigued.’

‘I can’t believe how much work the teachers are making us do! As if we don’t have enough on our hands already?’ Ron whinged.

‘I’m glad Professor McGonagall has taken over with the end of year celebrations. At least Malfoy and I won’t have to worry about that.’ Hermione said positively.

Harry and Ron exchanges glances. ‘Hermione, is there anything you would like to tell us?’

‘What do you mean?’ Hermione was genuinely baffled by their question.

‘You just seem to be acting…differently,’ Harry said carefully.

‘You’ll have to be a bit more specific,’ said Hermione, still confused.

‘Lets just say you seem to be warming up a lot to that horrid Slytherin Malfoy,’ Ron burst out.

Hermione was taken aback by the outburst and Harry sighed knowing that Ron was not accustomed to controlling his temper or his thoughts. He expected to hear Hermione argue with him but was very surprised when she replied calmly to his accusation.

‘I wouldn’t go as far as saying that but maybe I don’t hate Draco anymore,’ Hermione said, hoping Ron wouldn’t become hysterical. ‘I’ve gotten to know him a bit and I really do think he is changing.’

‘Hermione, Malfoy CAN’T change. He’s…well, he’s a Malfoy for Merlin sakes!’ Ron seemed at a loss for words.

‘What do you mean about him changing anyway?’ Harry asked.

‘I’ve talked to him a bit and done some planning of my own. Without spells and magic I’ve managed to bring out the decent person inside him.’ Hermione said. ‘I don’t even think he likes his father or ever wanted to be evil. I think it was forced on him by his family’s influence and he hasn’t had a choice on how to act.’

Ron rolled his eyes. ‘Oh great, now she’s in love with him! Hang on, he put a spell on you didn’t he? That is the only explanation.’

‘Ron!’ Hermione exclaimed. ‘Don’t be ridiculous, Malfoy would never do such a thing. You need to open your eyes and realise that you can’t solve problems using magic it only causes consequences. Oh, and I’m not in love with him!’

‘She is right Harry, magic does cause consequences. We meddled with it and now look what’s happened. Hermione’s fallen for the ferret boy!’ Ron continued as though a calamity had occurred.

‘Oh come on Ron. Harry can’t you help me out?’ Hermione looked at him expectantly.

Harry looked from one to the other. ‘Listen I can’t say I’m too happy about any of this. I mean out of all the people you had to go and warm up to, Malfoy my arch enemy!’

‘But Harry if you got to know him, he has totally changed I don’t even think he likes Crabbe and Goyle anymore,’ Hermione tried to reason.

‘Look I can’t lie and say I’m happy about this because I’m not. Whatever you do don’t fall into his trap because he might, as Ron said, have put a spell on you. I don’t want to lose you to the person I hate more than anyone at this school.’

‘That’s right Harry,’ Ron chipped in.

Hermione looked at them impatiently and said tightly. ‘Well you have absolutely nothing to worry about.’

Harry merely nodded and swiftly moved away with Ron to the game of chess they had abandoned.

Hermione returned her gaze to the large pages of her textbook but she took no notice of the words. All she could think about was the confrontation and what Harry and Ron had said. Though most was utterly ridiculous, as she knew, she couldn’t help wondering, what if her feelings had slipped a bit further than just friendship? Obviously she was not in love but there was definitely some spark of attraction between her and Draco.

Hermione prided herself in not placing herself in denial. When she felt something she confronted it. The thought of liking Draco was not pleasant but neither could she banish it with the wave of her hand. All she had to do was resist it for the rest of the year and then she would almost never see Draco again.

*Silly crushes never last anyway.* She told herself firmly.

Anyway, even if she did have feelings for Draco, he so obviously didn’t share them. She was lucky he had even decided to befriend her but she was convinced that it had more to do with his need for kindness. He certainly never received warmth or love from his family and his friends only used him for their own popularity.

Come to think of it Hermione felt kind of sorry for Draco. How much he must starve for attention and that would explain why he constantly harassed Harry and bullied smaller children.

Hermione smiled for she was sure that those days were over. Why hadn’t she thought of this years ago? It would have solved all her problems.

Anyway, it didn’t matter anymore.

‘What about Finite Incantum?’ Asked a girl by the windowsill who was looking completely frazzled down at her own book.

‘It is the spell used to stop the effect of charms or incantations.’ Answered another girl beside her.

This reminded Hermione of her pressing needs. Right, the textbook.

*Perhaps I should go back a few pages…or chapters. Here we go.*

*Focus*

The origin of vampires…