Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Draco's Transformation by Shena

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
CHAPTER 14

The next two eventful months flew by swiftly, as was usual when something unpleasant was about to occur. Not one person could hide their anxiety when confronted with the thought that the exams were only a month away or a fortnight away or eventually, a week and then a day away.

To many people’s great relief it had been miserable weather; thunder and drizzly rain. This created the perfect studying atmosphere and even seemed to lessen the tension in the castle.

To everybody in the Gryffindor house’s immense surprise, both Harry and Ron had been studying almost as much as everyone else, except of course for the few odd games of chess or exploding snap. In fact, Hermione was quite proud of them and expressed her approval through dealing with them good naturedly. This came as quite a shock to the boys as it had been the longest Hermione had ever refrained from snapping at them (precisely two weeks and three days actually).

A lot had happened among the seventh year students during the two-month period that really created the sense that they would never be returning to Hogwarts. The events spelled a conclusion, an end to how things had always been. It seemed as though the knowledge that they would be going out into the world soon had matured many people and affected a change in their attitudes as well.

Apart from the obvious change in Harry and Ron’s determination at studying, things were definitely looking positive between Ron and Ginny. They had made up and nobody seemed to remember about the “photo” incident. Ginny, Ron and Louise were able to sit and talk together like old times without arguments arising and the mood was much more cheerful.

Speaking of Louise, her and Ron were doing splendidly. Mrs. Weasley was delighted when she had received the news about Ron’s relationship and had even invited Louise to stay at her home after school had finished. Louise had blushed and written in reply that she would be happy to stay with “The loveliest family she had even met”.

Harry himself had started thinking about what he would do after the exams. He certainly wouldn’t be returning to the Dursley’s and not only because they wouldn’t allow him back. Mrs. Weasley had offered a room for him as well but he had declined, saying he had to learn to be more independent. His secret thought though had been that he didn’t want to endanger the Weasleys while Voldemort was still on the loose.

‘Maybe I’ll hire a room at the Leaky Cauldron for a while until I can find a place of my own,’ He had said after some thought.

‘What about Lupin? Surely he would let you stay with him,’ Ron had suggested.

‘Well I don’t want to be inconvenient. You know how busy he is with the Order of the Phoenix,’ Harry had replied.

‘Well wherever you end up staying Harry, you can be expecting me over all the time,’ Ron had said and gave Harry a pat on the shoulder.

Harry had shrugged casually but inside he felt a great swell of emotion at Ron’s gesture. Ron was the best friend he had never thought to have and he meant more to Harry than anybody else. Even Sirius, he admitted.

On the other hand, Hermione had been a busy little bee. She had scheduled her weeks with precision, giving time for study, relaxation and visits to certain people such as Hagrid. Time management was the key to fitting things in, she had repeated to Harry and Ron though they hardly cared to listen. She made sure she spent some time every now and then with Draco to be sure that he was not again being corrupted by his fellow Slytherins. From what she could tell, they had had a fall out and most were turning cold backs on Draco.

Though it was absolutely horrid to watch, Hermione was certainly happy about their ostracism because it meant that Draco was becoming more distant to them and their ways. He seemed so different lately, hardly ever making snide comments unless he was being sarcastic with her. She had even seen an improvement with his behaviour toward Harry and Ron.

It wasn’t to say that he had reconciled with them because neither party would have dismissed their egos and overcome their differences. They barely even looked at each other as a matter of fact. Draco would glare at them at the most and Harry would return the look. Nothing more. Hermione knew that He and Ron still disapproved of her friendship with Draco, but that was only normal.

At least they didn’t harass her about it anymore. As long as she didn’t leave them to spend time with him. Which she didn’t...usually. All she ever did with Draco was walk about the lake and discuss certain matters of importance such as who would win the next gold medal at the Quidditch Cup or what careers were available if you only scored high in your NEWTs.

Hermione had become somewhat daring and had steered Draco in the direction of Hagrids hut. He had been unsuspecting until he had said ‘Oh look, Hagrid’s hut. We’d better go the other way before the horrid giant comes out.’ And then Hermione had replied quickly as though he hadn’t spoken, ‘Look, is that Hagrid in there? Let’s say hello!’ And jumped off merrily, dragging him along with her.

Hagrid’s expression had been difficult to discern when he had opened the door to see a Malfoy standing awkwardly before it.

‘Oh, it’s you Hermione, and you...Mr. Malfoy,’ He had said stiffly. ‘Well then I suppose you’ll be want’n to come in.’

‘Thankyou Hagrid, and how are you?’ Hermione had said after finding a clean seat to sit on. Draco had looked utterly disgusted by the small compartment, as he had never actually been inside. Yet he took a seat and didn’t complain.

‘Oh I’m very fine thankyou Hermione. Been busy with the vegetable garden and lookin’ after the new creatures I’ve brought all the way from Transylvania. They say these creatures are used as pets for vampires and sometimes used in cooking to heal leprosy. But I don’t know how anyone could cook em up. I mean, they’re so little and cute!’

Hermione and Draco exchanged exasperated glances while Hagrid blabbered on about these new creatures that strangely didn’t even have a name. Hagrid had decided to name them individually from names such as John to Aphrodite (because he thought one of the females was absolutely gorgeous).

‘Anyway,’ he finished as though only just realising he had company ‘what may I ask are you doin’ here Mr. Malfoy? Firs’ time you’ve come around to my hut, or at least inside it.’

Malfoy felt a little patronised by the question after having a quick flashback of the time he had spied on Hagrid and Norbert the Dragon in his first year and then forced Hagrid to get rid of it. Not to speak of the time he had almost had Hagrid’s precious Hippogriff executed.

‘I thought it would be nice for Draco to come along with me to visit you. He feels awfully bad about all the trouble he’s caused you in the past. Don’t you Draco?’ Hermione said pointedly.

Draco looked furious for a moment but quickly masked the expression. ‘Yes, you're right Hermione. I feel terrible. Just wanted to apologise for any unintentional discomfort I may have caused you.’

Hagrid looked taken aback and also slightly speculative at Draco’s apology. ‘Uh, sure.’

Draco simply nodded grimly and Hagrid returned a quick stiff nod.

Hermione was pleased with the progress. ‘I am so glad we came by.’

‘Be sure to come round again soon,’ said Hagrid standing up suddenly.

Hermione was a little puzzled. Were we leaving?

Draco stood up. ‘Certainly will!’ He said much to quickly and high pitched.

‘Uh...bye then I guess,’ said Hermione following Draco out with some confusion.

When they were some way away Draco had looked crossly at her. ‘I can’t believe you just made me do that.’

Hermione had crossed her arms and looked sternly at him. ‘Saying sorry was the least you could do after all the misery you have put that man through.’

Draco had continued looking annoyed but hadn’t said anything else, knowing he would lose at that argument.

Two days later notices were being put up in the four houses about the farewell party for the seventh year students. It was to be a Ball that the entire school was invited to but there was no need to find partners to arrive in. That decision had been made by the staff who knew finding a partner would seriously distract everyone from their work. So everyone was to arrive individually.

Most people had received that bit of information with sighs of relief, especially from Harry who had never had much luck with girls. In fact he was yet to find himself a girlfriend. Cho had left the school the previous year but she had never again been interested in him. She had skipped from one boyfriend to another almost every term and Harry had lost all interest.

That wasn’t to say girls didn’t like him but the problem was that those girls were all frivolous little first and second years who giggled every time he passed them. At times he even hid from them because they sometimes followed him around. This caused him great annoyance but there wasn’t anything he could do about it.

There had still been no sign of Estelle Edwards continuing her mischief though she still acted nastily. Hermione decided to dismiss what had happened with her, deciding to leave the wretched girl to her fate. She would one day reap the fruits of her actions.

Back at the Slytherin part of the castle, Draco was still shunned by his old friends. Though he didn’t much care about his position, he still felt a bit lonely. But that didn’t matter, he would only be there a few more days.

Adrian along with Pansy were the two new most popular Slytherins. She had abandoned Draco when he had lost his power and had looked to Pucey with adoration in her eyes. She now gave him cold glares whenever he was around but he ignored her. Anytime he made to remark at her stupidity Pucey would stand up threateningly. But all Draco had to do was flex his wrists and sneer wickedly at him and Pucey would walk away dragging the others with him. Though they ostracised him, they still held a little of the fear they once had for him.

The morning of the first exams arrived at last. It had stopped raining but was still dark and clouded. The students assembled in the Hall where they awaited instructions as to where they would be doing certain exams for certain subjects and which Professors would be taking them.

These Professors were the very same that had come to examine them in their fifth year. Hopefully things would turn out better than that time when Professor Umbridge had distracted them while trying to arrest Hagrid.

The crowd waited nervously and all the while were wishing good luck to their friends.

‘Hermione you have nothing to worry about!’ Harry said.

‘Of course I do. What if I forget something important?’ She said in a very worried voice.

Harry rolled his eyes. ‘You never forget anything.’

‘Hope you do well Hermione,’ came a very formal voice from behind her.

Hermione spun around to see Draco looking calm and collected as usual. ‘Thankyou! You too.’

Harry stared at Draco, still unused to him talking to Hermione. Especially in front of him. Draco looked at him for a moment and looked as though he was about to say something but was cut off by Dumbledore’s echoing voice.

‘Everybody doing Divinations please line up on the right. You will be taken in a moment. Those doing Muggle Studies file on the left and those doing Ancient Runes remain in the centre,’ Dumbledore instructed.

The students did as they were told immediately. Very soon a Professor was leading them away to their examination room. From where she stood in the room, Hermione waved a last good luck to Harry and Ron and lastly to Draco who simply smiled back at her encouragingly.