Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Draco's Transformation by Shena

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
CHAPTER 15

Hermione stood in front of her full-length mirror studying the dress she was wearing. It was made from a beautiful sky-blue (her favourite colour) satin material that was tight fitting up the top but puffy below the hips. It was also a strapless gown fitted with a matching shawl around her shoulders and blue gloves for effect.

On top of her head was a sparkling tiara with blue emeralds. It was only small because she didn’t want to overdo herself. Her shoes were rather plain but matched with the dress though it didn’t really matter as the long material hid it. Her make up was simple and the colours were natural because she disliked looking as though someone had taken out a paintbrush and wiped her face with it.

To finish, her hair lay around her shoulders in a curtain of light curls and a heck of a lot of hair spray. But the overall look was utterly beautiful, and when Parvati and Lavender had entered in a fit of giggles, they had stopped immediately and gasped.

‘Wow, Hermione you look stunning.’ Parvati had admired.

‘You really think so?’ Hermione still wasn’t completely sure of herself. What if something what out of place?

‘Absolutely. But maybe some more lipstick and eye shadow? I have some in my drawer… just let me look.’ Parvati was saying.

‘Oh no! Please, I don’t want to be a nuisance and I’d rather look plain.’ Hermione said quickly.

‘You don’t look plain!’ Lavender said. ‘Where did you buy the dress?’

‘My mother sent it over from Paris while she and father were there for a holiday. She sent me a few pictures to choose from and I had liked this the best.’ Hermione answered, still examining herself.

‘What did you two get?’ She asked, for neither had begun dressing yet. In fact, if they didn’t start immediately they would be late.

‘You’ll see. Lavender, bring them forward.’ Parvati gestured to the cupboard.

Lavender brought out two dress cases and unzipped them carefully. ‘Oh, they are beautiful!’ Hermione said.

And they were. One was a blood-red gown with sparkling sequences and had two straps that intersected at the back. The other was a long white skirt with a golden top that tied at the neck. It had intricate designs and was made of silk.

‘Though they won’t look too majestic next to yours Hermione so make sure you aren’t seen with us ok?’ Parvati jested.

Hermione blushed. She didn’t want to stand out too much in a crowd, only a little. Anyway, it wasn’t as though she was trying to impress anybody in particular so it didn’t matter what she looked like…

The Gryffindor girls took out their wands and transferred the dresses onto themselves in seconds, they did the same to their hair and the job was done. Then they quickly applied make up and placed their shoes on.

‘All done except for the perfume. Oh, here it is,’ She said. Hermione stared at them in astonishment.

‘How did you do that so quickly?’ She said with some annoyance. It had taken her much longer to decide how to wear her hair and to put on make up. She hadn’t even thought of perfume yet!

‘We planned and decided everything a few weeks ago.’ Lavender said casually. ‘We didn’t want to take forever on the night as most people do. Things become too panicky.’

‘I quite agree,’ Said Hermione, realising she should have probably done the same. She had started panicking before when her hair wasn’t sitting properly and didn’t know what to do. It had taken her twenty minutes to sort it out. It seemed even magic had trouble with her hair.

Anyway, it didn’t really matter since she was all ready to go. ‘How long do we have?’

‘About fifteen minutes. Oh I’m so nervous!’ Parvati squealed.

‘I don’t see why, there isn’t anything to be nervous about,’ Replied Hermione practically.

‘But it’s our second last night here and it’s a big event!’ Lavender exclaimed as though Hermione was mad to even say such a ridiculous thing.

Hermione nodded in agreement for the sake of keeping the girl’s mouth shut. She breathed deeply, telling herself how silly it was to feel nervous in such an instance. Suddenly she noticed a small butterfly in the pit of her stomach as she thought of a familiar pair of grey eyes upon her. As this thought lingered in her mind her nervousness steadily increased.

‘I think I need to go to the bathroom,’ She said suddenly, her face a little pale.

Lavender looked at her with knowing eyes. ‘I thought just as much. She’s as nervous as hell.’

Parvati nodded. ‘I think I might have to follow her.’

-

Harry and Ron were ready to go with less than ten minutes left. Harry looked quite the same as he had looked at the Yule Ball in his fourth year with the green formal robes but this year Ron actually had new robes that were dark blue and there were no signs of frills, to his great relief.

Harry actually seemed very calm and collected, as he wasn’t exactly looking forward to the Ball. It didn’t excite any interest in him as there was no girl for him to meet up with and besides, he couldn’t dance. He would probably spend the entire night standing by the food court.

Ron on the other hand was perspiring and fidgeting with his tie (the robes came with it). He had spent some time practicing how to slow dance because he would certainly need to now that he had a girlfriend. He couldn’t wait to see how Louise looked and what she was wearing! He was also a bit nervous about the news that she would be coming with him to his home in two days. What would she think of his lifestyle?

Dean Thomas came into the Dormitory carrying a big bunch of red roses and wearing a flashy black suit.

‘Who are those for?’ Ron said, winking at him.

‘Nobody,’ Dean replied.

Ron gave him a peculiar stare. ‘Ah come on, you can tell me.’

‘No really, I’d rather not say,’ Dean said again, this time in a defensive tone.

Ron frowned and turned back. ‘What’s wrong with him?’ He mumbled to Harry who just shrugged.

‘Five minutes anyway, we’d better head down now,’ Harry suggested in a bored tone.

‘Right,’ Ron said promptly. ‘Let’s go.’

-

Draco made his way casually to the Great Hall, not wanting to seem eager. Not that he WAS eager or anything. In fact, he really didn’t want to go at all but being Head Boy and everything he really didn’t have a choice…

Anyway, to prove that he wasn’t really interested in the occasion he had worn a simple black robe without tie or bow. He hadn’t even slicked his hair back, not that it had anything to do with Hermione’s comment about liking it that way. Really, it didn’t!

Just then he began to hear the sound of Pansy’s horrible whining voice coming from somewhere close by. This made Draco speed up considerably because she was the last person he wanted to bump into.

He had seen her back in the common room about an hour ago with her dress on and it would have looked nice if it hadn’t been so tight fitting. The tightness made all her fat show up ten times worse and somehow made her legs look stubby as well. Yuck.

The Hall was quite packed by the time he arrived and there was little chance of finding people in the big crowd. The music had not yet begun to play and so there was a lot of annoying chatter buzzing about.

From the main entrance Draco saw Harry and Ron enter looking goofy as usual and he had the urge to go over and tease them about their costumes. However, he controlled his mind and stayed put.

By now all the staff including Dumbledore had assembled in the Hall wearing fancy robes and took their positions at different areas of the Hall so as to keep a clear watch on the students.

Dumbledore cleared his voice. ‘Welcome everyone to this spectacular end of year party! I would like to congratulate all the seventh year students on their completion of their exams and wish them good luck in their future careers. But it isn’t time to think of such things so I hope you enjoy the night. Our guests who have kindly accepted to be the band for tonight are the Cloudy Nine!’

Cheers erupted the Hall as the nine famous band members took positions on stage. They were a popular wizard rock band that was famous for having so many people amongst them. There were three guitarists (one playing the base), one drummer, two violinists, one keyboard player, one piano player and one saxophone player. They played music much like the old rock band Queen did (Dean Thomas had said to Harry once).

They began playing one of their most popular songs to start everyone off. It was a fast paced song that made everyone, including most teachers, at least tap their feet along to the beat. The energy of the song spread like a virus and the Hall was one huge sea of dancing figures.

Draco was the only restless person in the vicinity. He kept looking around to see if he could find someone. Yes all right, he was looking for Hermione. He hated admitting it but it was the truth.

‘The party is going quite well,’ Came a voice in his ear.

He spun around after a little shock to see the most beautiful person he had ever laid eyes on. He was about to question the person and ask their name when he realised it was Hermione. ‘Wow, I hardly recognised you!’

‘Really?’ She blushed.

Draco realised that he had sounded as though he was admiring her. ‘Well, I didn’t mean it as a complement. Just that your hair and everything is different that’s all…’

He mumbled, looking rather embarrassed. Hermione fought not to laugh. ‘You look good too.’

‘Oh thankyou, I hadn’t meant…Wait, I didn’t mean it that way!’ This time Hermione did laugh.

‘Would you care to dance?’ She asked innocently.

‘Uh, no I don’t think so. I don’t really dance,’ He replied hastily.

‘Really? Oh well, I’ll see you later,’ And she walked off into the sea of waving arms, though Draco could still sort of see her.

He was impressed when she started dancing. He didn’t think Hermione was the dancing type but he had obviously been wrong. He saw that slime ball Neville Longbottom move over to where Hermione was dancing and try to join in although the buffoon had two left feet.

Draco had the urge to go and show the boy off the dance floor but realised he would have no way of explaining his actions. He therefore ground himself into a seat and began sipping some punch, all the while his eyes transfixed on where Neville might place his hands. Fortunately for Neville, his hands were kept to himself the entire time.

-

Ron was in his own little blissful world with only Louise in his eyes and the sound of music in the background. He danced beautifully, she thought. Hopefully he was dancing impressively as well apart from the occasional bump into other couples. But those were never his fault…

His concentration was only wavered for a moment when he saw his sister…holding a bunch or red roses.

He frowned. ‘Where do you think she got those from?’

Louise looked a little worried when she saw who he was looking at. ‘Oh, nobody! Really Ron, is that important now anyway?’

Ginny glanced toward where Ron was and her smile fell. She swiftly hid the flowers behind her back and moved away into the crowd. Fortunately Ron had turned back his attention to dancing, not to see Dean follow Ginny onto the dance floor.

-

Harry continued drinking as he watched everybody else dancing. He was shocked when Parvati approached him.

‘Harry, you’re not dancing with anybody?’ She seemed surprised.

‘Uh no,’ He replied shortly.

‘I was thinking, since we didn’t really get to finish this at the Yule Ball, did you want to dance? Or are you too busy drinking?’ She looked at him quizzically.

Harry was a little dazed by the question but also a bit bashful. ‘Um, I suppose. But I have to tell you, I’m not a very good dancer.’

‘That’s all right! Just feel the music and do what comes to you,’ She said cheerfully.

Harry noticed that she looked extremely sexy in her outfit. He let her lead him away.

-

Hermione started feeling a bit awkward dancing with Neville. He wasn’t very good but she did feel kind of sorry for the poor boy. But he wasn’t the one she wanted to dance with and so she wasn’t exactly enjoying herself. And wasn’t that the whole point of being here tonight?

There was a sudden crashing sound and a squeal and then the sound of Professor McGonagall’s angry booming voice but it was muffled by the music. Only the people in the back part of the Hall could hear the distraction and were turning to see what had happened.

All Hermione could see was a very angry looking Estelle Edwards rushing off in a huff closely followed by a distraught looking girl.

This was Hermione’s chance to stop dancing. She went closer to the scene to see McGonagall clearing up some spilt punch and broken glass with her wand. When she had left, Hermione ran over to Padma Patil who had been very close by and asked what had happened.

‘I think that girl was trying to spike the punch!’ She replied in an exasperated voice. ‘I don’t know why but it doesn’t matter because she was caught and sent off to her room.’

‘What did Professor McGonagall say?’ Hermione asked.

‘Just that she was lucky she was leaving soon anyway otherwise she would have been suspended. And she wasn’t allowed back here tonight.’ Padma said.

Hermione frowned. ‘I don’t know what’s wrong with Estelle. She could be up there with the brilliant people but she always has to go and mess it up.’

Padma shrugged. ‘I didn’t know she was a troublemaker. But I suppose it doesn’t really matter anymore.’

‘No, it doesn’t.’

She turned around and came face to face with Draco. ‘I suppose she got what she deserved,’ He said.

‘Oh, right!’ Hermione jumped.

‘Did I frighten you?’ He said mockingly and grinned.

‘Of course not!’

‘Anyway, what are you doing here I thought you didn’t dance,’ She teased back.

‘I can dance, I just don’t like to,’ He said smugly.

‘Sure,’ Hermione rolled her eyes.

Suddenly, and slightly mysteriously, a slow song began to play and everyone fell into slow dancing.

‘But I do enjoy dancing to slow music,’ He offered her his arm and she was about to take it when they were rudely cut off.

‘Malfoy…and Granger,’ Came Adrian’s slurring voice.

‘Pucey,’ Draco acknowledged with a defiant little nod. ‘What do you want?’

‘Me and the gang have been discussing some matters and after some persuasion from Pansy, we’ve decided to let you join us,’ Pucey said.

‘And what makes you think I would do that?’ Draco said.

‘Because we know you want to,’ Pucey replied.

‘Oh please come back!’ Said Goyle who was standing behind Pucey and beside Crabbe.

Draco vaguely sensed Hermione’s arm dropping but he didn’t look at her. He was beginning to feel a strange pull on both sides of his brain.

By this time, without Draco realising it, Harry and Ron were both watching the scene carefully. Over by the Slytherins, Draco saw Pansy smiling innocently at him and one of the other boys yelled over at him to join them. It was so very tempting.

‘Come on Draco, come back to your friends. You’ll soon forget the Mudblood slut.’

Hermione stepped backwards in shock. Ron and Harry raced to her side giving Pucey and Draco dirty looks.

‘Why don’t you just take your load of rubbish somewhere else,’ Harry said violently.

‘Watch your mouth Potter,’ Pucey said threateningly.

‘Or what, you’ll rub your teeth on me?’ Harry retorted.

Pucey stepped forward but stopped when he noticed Professor Sinistra watching the scene warily.

‘Come on boys, let’s leave before we get contaminated by this vermin,’ Pucey spat.

Draco hesitated, looking from the Slytherins to Hermione and Harry and Ron who were both looking at him dangerously. He didn’t know what to do. He hadn’t stopped Pucey a moment ago when he was going to lunge at Harry. But then he didn’t really like Harry. But what was he expected to do now?

‘Come on Malfoy!’ Pucey snapped.

Hermione didn’t wait around any longer. She turned and headed for the door.

‘Wait Hermione!’ Harry and Ron raced after her, not paying attention to Draco.

As they left, Pucey turned a nasty grin to Draco. ‘I’m glad to see you’re back to your old self Malfoy. I was a bit worried seeing you with that stupid Mudblood.’

Draco boiled with rage. Why was he standing here listening to this foul excuse for a wizard and letting him insult Hermione?

‘I think it’s about time you stopped using that term. You’re lucky I didn’t punch you out when you insulted her before but I swear, if you dare utter another word I won’t hesitate again.’

And with those last words said, Draco left their company.

-

Harry and Ron managed to catch up to Hermione after she had run outside into the chilly night air.

‘Hermione are you okay?’ Ron asked, his voice full of concern.

‘I’m fine. I just want to be left alone,’ She said in a shaky voice.

‘Are you sure?’ Ron asked.

‘Yes.’

‘You don’t need Malfoy anyway,’ Harry said firmly.

Hermione nodded. ‘I really thought he had changed.’

Harry patted her shoulder. ‘I guess an evil person can never change completely.’

It was on the tip of her tongue to defy his words but she decided he must be right. She had done everything in her power to change Draco but it obviously hadn’t worked. He was probably with his friends laughing and joking nastily about her.

‘You sure you don’t want us to stay with you?’ Ron insisted.

‘No you two go ahead. I don’t want you missing out on all that fun.’ She said, holding back unwanted tears. This was ridiculous, she thought, crying over a Slytherin?

Harry and Ron hesitantly turned back toward the castle. They had almost reached the doors when Draco came rushing out almost knocking them over.

Harry and Ron glanced once at each other and then turned to see Draco running up to Hermione.

‘Quick!’ Ron said to him.

But Harry held him back. ‘Wait Ron. I think he might be…apologising.’

‘Don’t be ridiculous Harry, this is Malfoy we’re talking about,’ Ron said resentfully.

‘No Ron, I think we’ve caused enough trouble already. This is Hermione and Malfoy’s business,’ Harry said forcefully to himself just as much as to Ron because he knew it was true.

Ron looked at him through astonished eyes. ‘But Harry, what if you’re wrong and he isn’t trying to make up?’

‘Just look at them Ron.’

Ron looked over to see Draco on his knees, trying to get Hermione to look at him.

‘This is rather disturbing you know. I never thought I would see this happen,’ Ron said finally, in a defeated voice.

‘I know,’ Said Harry softly. He lifted his wand and muttered a spell under his breath.

Ron attempted to hear it. ‘What did you do?’ He asked curiously.

‘Come on Ron,’ Harry said dismissively ‘It’s getting late.’

Harry managed to drag Ron back into the castle easily enough but wouldn’t tell him what he had just done.

-

‘Please Hermione just listen to me,’ Draco begged.

‘Why should I?’ Hermione said, not looking at him properly.

‘Why shouldn’t you? I’ve left all those rotten people to come to you. Doesn’t that show where my loyalty lies?’ He reasoned.

His words were very convincing and Hermione calmed down.

‘I suppose.’

‘Now will you at least look at me?’ He asked.

Suddenly there was a sound close by and Hermione’s skin jumped. ‘What was that?’

‘I don’t know…’ Draco said after a quick look around. ‘Probably just an animal or something.’

But suddenly a whole bunch of little Christmas lights turned on amongst the bushes and trees that lay scattered around them. Looking closer, Draco realised that they were glow insects. Next minute, the birdbath Hagrid had installed turned into a lovely fountain and the water fell in a circle around it creative a tranquil atmosphere. Strangely none of these things disturbed him.

‘Hermione…’ He began, looking at her intently.

She shifted uncomfortably. ‘What do you think is happening?’

Draco grew impatient. He grabbed her hand in his, her chin in the other.

‘Hermione,’ He repeated, this time more softly.

Hermione froze, her eyes fixed on his. What was he doing?

Very slowly, Draco bent closer to her face and their lips touched. It was just one small gentle kiss but it was everything.

Draco tightened his hold on her hand. ‘Hermione, would you be my girlfriend?’

Hermione was silent for a moment, trying to register what was happening. It didn’t take long.

‘Yes, of course!’ She flung herself into his arms happily and drowned herself in another blissful kiss.

-

The rest of the night went by joyously. Everybody had a wonderful time and a few people cried because it was the last time they would be together as Hogwarts students. They were all ready to further their educations at university or start early careers immediately. They were ready to begin new lives.

Hermione made arrangements to keep in contact with Draco after she left for home. She realised that he above everyone had really matured and changed. He had once been the most evil person in the school, destined to be one of Lord Voldemort’s minions.

Yet everything had turned around. He had abandoned the path that his father had set for him and was now making his own decisions. He also had decided to right as many wrongs as possible so he had started sending sorry notes to everyone he had ever been nasty too. And that was a lot of notes.

Hermione had smiled to herself in the car with her parents as they drove to her English country home. She had always told Harry and Ron that magic was no way to solve problems. She had even convinced herself that Draco’s transformation had been all her doing. But now she realised that it had all started by Harry and Ron getting involved. So technically it WAS magic that had changed Draco, or helped change Draco, but Hermione would never admit that to her friends.