Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Draco's Transformation by Shena

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
CHAPTER 4

‘Harry, do you think anyone will notice?’ Asked Ron. ‘What if a spark floats across the room, people will notice.’

‘The spell should be unnoticeable,’ replied Harry ‘because it is one of those charms that are designed to be done in secret, unless the creator was daft.’

This only made Ron more nervous so Harry said reassuringly, ‘There won’t be too many people in the Great Hall since it is still early and we can sit by ourselves, out of the way. And we will have to keep our wands under the table anyway so that no-one sees.’

‘But how will we actually cast the spell on him?!?’ Ron asked anxiously.

Harry paused before answering. ‘I suppose we can aim for his legs, it should still work.’

‘And if it doesn’t?’ Said Ron.

‘Then the charm might only backfire on Malfoy when he tries to kick someone.’ Harry joked.

‘Ha, ha. I’m serious Harry, ‘said Ron, ‘what if it doesn’t work?’

‘Then that will be all there is to it.’ Said Harry calmly. ‘And Hermione will be able to sleep peacefully again. If it doesn’t work now then I won’t try again.’

They entered the Great Hall which was half full with students eating and talking. At the Slytherin table, Malfoy sat with Crabbe and Goyle muttering and sniggering as usual. Fortunately they didn’t notice Harry and Ron enter and sit with unconvincing serenity.

Harry and Ron filled their bowls with porridge while trying to feign cool disinterest but nobody seemed aware of their presence.

‘Okay, lets do it now.’ Said Harry quietly. ‘Do you want to do the honours?’

Ron took a deep breath. ‘No, I’d better let you do it in case I mess up.’

Harry didn’t feel quite as apprehensive as Ron did so he agreed to do it. He took out his wand under the table and pointed it towards Malfoy’s legs. ‘Bakfirilius-vicorruphein-reversius-backtumorfius.’

Harry felt a small shudder rush through his wand and held his breath. He saw no spark or red jet of light and Malfoy was still eating his remaining porridge.

‘Did it work?’ Asked Ron, frowning.

‘I don’t know.’ Harry replied honestly. ‘I felt the wand respond to the spell but I can’t tell whether anything actually happened.’

Ron was slightly displeased. ‘We’ll have to wait and see then.’

Their first class that day was Transfiguration but because so many students had chosen it as a subject that year, the houses were divided into two separate classes; Gryffindor with Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw with Slytherin. Therefore Harry, Ron and Hermione were able to steer clear of Malfoy and his gang more often that in the past years. Ron had been dissatisfied at first until Harry reminded him that Malfoy wouldn’t dare mess around under Professor McGonagall’s nose.

‘Good morning class.’ Said Professor McGonagall in her usual austere voice. ‘Today you will be learning a simple transformation. Please open your books to page 137 where you will learn how to turn a seed into a fully-grown plant. This spell is important to learn as it comes up quite regularly in the N.E.W.T. exams.’

Harry examined the seed that had been placed on his desk. He also noticed that everybody had a different looking seed and wondered what plant his would turn into.

When almost everyone had finished reading page 137 of their textbooks, Professor McGonagall called for attention. ‘Obviously we cannot remain indoors otherwise most of these plants would crash through the ceiling so we will be required to perform the transformation in the grounds as you will do in your exams.’

Estelle Edwards from Hufflepuff seemed absolutely ecstatic at the idea. (She was an extreme environmentalist). Unlike her, Hermione seemed neither fascinated nor enthusiastic.

‘When are we ever going to need to use this in real life?’ She said unfavourably.

‘Hermione!’ Said Estelle in shock. ‘This could be the solution we need to keeping our earth green and healthy. Just think, it could fix so many of the environmental problems that muggles have caused.’

‘Prevention is better than cure.’ Was Hermione’s answer. Estelle was exasperated and could not work her lips to say anything else and so quickly turned and followed the class out.

Once in the grounds, the students began reciting their spells repeatedly until they felt proficient enough to attempt growing their plants. Hermione was the only person who managed to succeed in doing so on her first attempt. Her seed ended up transforming into a lovely rose bush.

Estelle eyed her jealously and grumbled silently to her friend. ‘She doesn’t even have to put any effort into it but always gets it right.’ But when she tried again she also managed the spell. ‘A lemon tree! Why do I have a lemon tree and Hermione gets a rose bush?’

‘Stop that complaining Miss. Edwards. The seeds were placed randomly on each desk, it does not matter which one you received. However, I expect you to be satisfied with what you have accomplished, well done.’ Said McGonagall. ‘Miss. Granger and Miss. Edwards will both receive 10 points each for their houses.’

Hermione, who couldn’t care less about Estelle’s jealously, went over to help Ron who was struggling to achieve the first step of the spell; to cover the seed with soil using his wand. Finally he was able to burgeon a magnificent Flame Tree and when Harry got the spell right, his seed transformed into a tall palm tree.

‘As you can see, majority of these plants are not found in England as the climate is not fitting for them but with the help of magic we will be able to preserve them. Professor Sprout has agreed to look after them, as she wants to use them in some of her classes.’ Said McGonagall.

Harry and Ron were glad that they had not been set much homework from Professor McGonagall since their work pile was already piling up.

In DADA, their teacher Professor Hopkins (who was actually on his second year teaching at Hogwarts) taught them a new defence skill that is meant to leave your enemy’s wand useless against you. It was an exceptionally complicated spell and most of the class became worried that they would not be able to do it.

Towards the end of the lesson, Professor Hopkins laughed in amusement at the frustrated expressions of his students and announced that few wizards were ever capable of performing this complex charm correctly unless trained for many months and it would defiantly not arise in their exams.

When someone asked the use of practising a spell they would not need, Professor Hopkins objected and said that the purpose of practising this spell was to develop skills for some later work.

The class exchanged glances. This was quite a typical answer from the Professor. He very rarely elaborated his answers and hardly ever responded to the students if they continued to ask questions. He preferred to be mysterious. This time nobody bothered to ask what further work they would be doing because knowing the Professor for over a year now, it would just be a waste of breath.

Another detail in Hopkins’ personality (and one that most students rather liked) was that he often forgot things such as assigning homework and on this day the students all filed out of class quickly at the end of the lesson before he remembered.

Harry and Ron scuttled through the hallways sniggering as they could hear Professor Hopkins yelling in the distance, ‘Oh wait a sec. Come back all of you!’ But naturally, everybody appeared momentarily deaf and hurried off to lunch.

While Ron helped himself to many pumpkin pasties and tiny triangular shaped tomato sandwiches, Harry suggested that they go visit Dobby in the hospital wing to see how he was doing and (lowering his voice so that Hermione wouldn’t take notice) find out what he had been up to the other night. Ron seemed indifferent to the idea but agreed to go anyway.

#HOSPITAL WING#

‘Harry Potter came to see Dobby?’ Said Dobby the house elf sounding surprised and looking at Harry with admiration displaying in his wide eyes.

‘Err...yes Dobby.’ Said Harry uneasily. He still wasn’t quite used to Dobby’s excessive revere for him, especially when they were not alone. ‘Listen, Ron and I came to talk to you about something important.’

Dobby stared expectantly up into Harry’s eyes. ‘What is Harry Potter wanting to know? Dobby will tell Harry Potter anything.’

Harry made sure the coast was clear before continuing. ‘We heard about your accident in the armour room and well... what were you doing there?’

Dobby looked suddenly nervous and hesitated before answering. ‘Dobby was searching for Harry Potter late at night. Dobby did not notice the big metal statue in the dark and now is stuck in this bed for another night.’

‘Hang on,’ Said Ron. ‘Why would it take that long for Madam Pomfrey to mend a leg?’

Dobby replied shyly. ‘Professor Dumbledore was concerned and said that Dobby should have a rest from cleaning in the dark.’

‘But you weren’t really cleaning.’ Said Ron.

‘Dobby has a feeling Professor Dumbledore is knowing this but is just being kind.’ Said Dobby.

Harry interrupted. ‘But Dobby, why were you looking for me? And why didn’t you just appear where I was instead of sneaking around?’

‘Oh, Dobby was not sneaking around!’ Said Dobby quickly. ‘But Harry Potter could not be found. Dobby kept searching because there were creaking noises and thought it must be Harry Potter but sir could not be seen anywhere.’

‘Of course,’ said Harry. ‘We were wearing the invisibility cloak.’

‘So what did you want to tell Harry?’ Asked Ron.

Dobby’s voice dropped considerably lower and Harry and Ron had to lean forward to hear. ‘Dobby was cleaning near the Slytherin rooms when there was people coming in the hall. It was young master Malfoy and his fat friends walking about after hours. Luck they did not see Dobby for he was hiding in the shadows. Dobby heard master Malfoy plotting against the great Harry Potter and knew he must warn Harry Potter of his evil plans.’ Said the pitiable Dobby through misty eyes and quivering lips.

Harry frowned. ‘And what did Malfoy say?’

‘Dobby is not certain.’ Said Dobby quietly. ‘He is not hearing much. Dobby is only knowing that master Malfoy is plotting a trick of some kind. Dobby hopes it is not already too late.’ He added apologetically.

‘No he hasn’t tried anything yet.’ Said Harry. ‘Don’t worry Dobby, he can’t be planning anything dangerous at the school. He wouldn’t be able to get away with it then.’

‘Dobby is pleased sir’ Dobby smiled.

Harry sat up and so did Ron. ‘Alright Dobby, thankyou. Sorry we can’t stay any longer but we have to be getting to class soon.’

‘No, thank you Harry Potter.’ Said Dobby cheerfully. ‘Just be careful.’

#DOUBLE POTIONS#

Harry, Ron and Hermione gathered their equipment and exited the Great Hall, heading for the dungeons. None of them were particularly pleased at the prospect but Ron and Harry couldn’t help wondering what could end up happening if their charm had worked.

It wasn’t long until they saw Malfoy across the hallway just ahead of them. He looked strangely frazzled and grumpy and wasn’t paying attention to where he was going so an accident was bound to happen; and it did.

#CRASH#

‘OUUCH!’ Malfoy had bumped into a poor Hufflepuff third year boy and they had both dropped their books. He gave the boy a gaze that could kill and began heaping him with abuse.

Everyone watched tentatively, knowing what would happen next. Malfoy’s face was turning redder with every moment and the boy looked both shocked and petrified.

Hermione was about to step forward to stop Malfoy from bullying the innocent boy any further but before she could, BEHOLD- it all happened so quickly and none of it made any sense.

Malfoy picked up the boy’s books and gave it back to him and then he furiously kicked his own books and quills away!

The audience stood motionless, their mouths hanging wide open. The silence was only broken by the boy squeaking a quick and puzzled ‘Thankyou’ and running off to class. Everyone gaped at Malfoy but even he seemed shocked at the circumstances. He turned on his followers and bellowed ‘What are you looking at? Get on with it!!!’

When the group of Slytherins had marched away down the hall and out of sight, the students began to chatter immediately and whispered to each other hurriedly.

‘...been acting weird all day’ Said a girl near Harry.

Ron looked at Harry. ‘It worked, it worked!’ He squealed.

Harry grinned. ‘I know. Isn’t it great?’

He stole a look at Hermione but her expression was unreadable.

‘Come on you two, we don’t want Professor Snape giving us detentions for being late to class.’ She said.

Potions class was always rather quiet but today it was exceptionally hushed. Even Professor Snape eyed everyone suspiciously.

‘Today as you know you will be making a potion using Veritaserum. I have a bottle on my desk, which has been watered down in case any fools (here he looks obviously at Neville) mistake it for water and decide to drink some. (Neville turns pink and looks at his feet). This potion can be very useful against an enemy as one drop of strong Veritaserum can have you telling your whole life story.’

Harry knew this already. Snape had told him the same thing a few years ago when he had threatened to give some to Harry. It seemed Snape was thinking along the same lines because he gave Harry a particularly nasty look.

‘The rest of the ingredients are placed over on that table in the corner. If you could arrange yourselves into groups of two and one person in each group can collect the ingredients while the other sets up the appropriate equipment. The instructions for this potion are written on the blackboard.’

Harry squinted at the black board and could just make out the small print scrawled across it. He wanted to make an effort with his work because he needed high marks in Potions to be able to lead a successful career as an Auror after school. Unfortunately, he hadn’t started the year off very well because of a few disruptions and Malfoy trouble but he planned on making up for it. Hopefully, with the help of the backfire charm he might not have too many more troubles.

#ACROSS AT MALFOYS TABLE#

Pansy placed the ingredients next to Malfoy and sat heavily on the seat beside him. Malfoy read her the first instructions and obediently, she started chopping up the herbs.

Looking over at Crabbe and Goyle, Malfoy made a signal with his eyes and they responded by giving him the thumbs up. It was time to put plan into action. He turned back to Pansy and told her to put a drop of Veritaserum in the potion.

She paused and frowned. ‘But we aren’t supposed to do that until step 7. We are only up to step 2.’

‘Do what I say Pansy. Trust me, it will be worth it.’ Malfoy replied. Pansy did what he said without further questioning.

One thing that was required in any double lesson was to bring in a water bottle to class to avoid dehydration. Therefore, every student had a water bottle on the side of their desk and regularly drank from it. This had given Malfoy a brilliant idea a few days ago and now it was time to carry it out.

When Snape had his back turned to the class, Malfoy took out his wand and was about to whisper an incantation WHEN: ----

‘AARGH!’ Malfoy’s face was drained of colour and he stared at his cauldron in shock.

‘What is it Malfoy?’ Asked Professor Snape anxiously.

Malfoy looked up at him and shook his head vigorously. Everyone in the dungeon stared at him with curiosity.

Snape repeated. ‘Malfoy, why did you just scream? What happened?’

Malfoy’s face worked very hard to avoid speaking but couldn’t manage it. ‘I swallowed some of the potion.’

Snape stared at him for some moments. ‘What possessed you to do such a thing?’

‘I didn’t mean to Professor, honestly.’ Replied Malfoy.

‘So it was an accident?’ Asked the Professor.

‘That’s right. I wasn’t meant to drink it,’ here Malfoy slaps his hand over his mouth but even that doesn’t seem to work. ‘Potter was meant to.’

The room filled with gasps from every corner and Harry’s mouth fell open.

Snape looked shocked. ‘What do you mean to say?’

‘I was trying to put the potion in Potter’s water bottle but instead, I don’t know how...I drank it myself.’ Malfoy looked as though he wanted to cry.

‘Malfoy, are you trying to ruin your streak of brilliance in Potions? Something like this could affect your NEWT score. It is even possible that you could have been suspended for doing such a thing. It is only lucky you decided to drink it yourself. As much as I would enjoy hearing Potter revealing his mind to the class, I don’t want you practising your spells on him or anyone else in case you are caught in the act.’

‘I’ve always got away with it in the past.’ Said Malfoy in a very small voice.

‘WHAT?’ Professor Snape said incredulously.

Malfoy clapped his hands onto his forehead and surrendered to the inevitable. ‘I have ruined Potter’s potions on countless occasions Professor, and he has been in trouble many times when I should have instead.’

Snape stood silent for some time. The class didn’t dare make any noise and Crabbe, Goyle and the rest of the Slytherins were practically suffering as much as Malfoy as he revealed the truth.

‘But why would you risk getting yourself into trouble like that?’ Although Professor Snape said this, Harry knew that he was quite aware of Malfoy’s constant taunting and trouble making.

‘I have to torment Harry, Sir. It gives me power and attention.-’ It seems Malfoy couldn’t tolerate this anymore. He jumped up and ran out of the class.

‘Wait, Malfoy. Come back!.’ Called Snape, but Malfoy had disappeared.

Snape sighed and returned to his desk. Everyone stared at Harry but it seemed as though nobody knew what to say. All that was obvious upon observation was that all the Slytherins were horrified but the Gryffindors all looked ecstatic. This was the first time anything like this had ever happened and for once it would be Malfoy getting in trouble instead of Harry.

The lesson was almost over and Professor Snape sat quietly at his desk. ‘I need someone to find Malfoy and bring him here immediately.’

Nobody said anything or moved. Snape looked at Crabbe and Goyle expectantly but neither reacted. All of a sudden, a hand shot up from the back of the dungeon.

‘I’ll go Professor.’ Said Hermione.