Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Draco's Transformation by Shena

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
CHAPTER 6

Malfoy entered Snape’s office after knocking and being called in. Professor Snape was at his desk leaning over a paper while muttering in frustration ‘No, no, no! What does parsley have to do with anything??’

Malfoy smirked. ‘Marking Longbottom’s essay on “Identifying Poisoned Liquids”?

Snape glanced up at Malfoy unblinkingly with his black beady eyes. ‘Naturally. I don’t understand how that boy managed to pass his OWL exams. And with good marks too!’ He sighed. ‘Such a pity.’

He gestured for Malfoy to take a seat and obediently he made his way over to the only chair available, which was cold and hard.

Once Snape had finished with the essay (which now had a large visible D scrawled across it) he shifted into a more comfortable position and faced Malfoy sternly.

‘Now, about what occurred this afternoon.’ He began.

‘I know Professor,’ Said Malfoy. ‘I don’t know what I was thinking. I swear I had no idea what I was doing.’

Snape examined him thoughtfully. ‘You said, if I remember correctly, that you had actually intended to place the Veritaserum in Potter’s water bottle.’

‘Yes that is true Sir.’ Said Malfoy adjusting the expression on his face to make him appear somewhat ashamed.

‘How did it feel when you went to consume the potion yourself?’ He asked.

Malfoy was confused. ‘What do you mean?’

‘I mean,’ Snape explained patiently. ‘Did you feel as though you did it against your own will? Did your arm move without you making it move?’

Malfoy’s eyes widened. ‘Are you implying that someone else may have made it happen? Like a spell?’

‘It is possible.’ Snape relied.

Malfoy consider this theory but sighed. ‘No, it was me who drank the potion. But I didn’t do it intentionally. I just wasn’t thinking properly, that is all. You know how sometimes you may be walking, you know you are walking and you are doing it intentionally but it is as though some other force is moving your body for you-’ He stopped as he noticed the look on Snape’s Face. ‘Or maybe not.’

‘Has anything else odd occurred to you recently?’ Snape continued.

‘Actually, yes.’ Malfoy remembered the incident with the 3rd year boy who had bumped into him. ‘I have been…clumsy. Yes, that’s a good way to put it. Clumsy. Doing things I don’t mean to and bumping into things…’ He trailed off, not wanting to reveal too much information.

Snape raised an eyebrow. ‘Doing things you don’t mean to do?’

‘Yes, ‘Malfoy said slowly and carefully. ‘ A bit like what happened in Potions. Do you really think I’ve got a spell on me?’

‘My suspicions tell me so and I wouldn’t have put it passed Potter and Weasley to have done it either. But without any legitimate reasons to accuse them, there is nothing that can be done about it.’ He looked at Malfoy almost pleadingly. ‘Are you absolutely positive it was all your doing?’

Malfoy sighed, ‘Positive.’ This was hardly the truth however. He wouldn’t have been surprised at all if it was a spell but for some reason he kept the thought to himself.

‘Very well. ‘Said Snape. ‘Now, it is my duty to bestow a punishment upon you. Unfortunately I can’t let you get away with this slip-up.’

Malfoy had been waiting for this and now he braced himself. He Never made the mistake of getting into trouble with Snape and it was a good thing too because he tended to confer very torturous punishments.

‘You will have to have a detention,’ Snape squinted his eyes in thought. ‘Ah yes, tonight I want you to give a wash to a few dirty cauldrons in the Potions dungeon. They are beginning to smell like rotting fruit.’

Malfoy was surprised at the lightness of the punishment. He met Snape’s gaze across the table and noticed that he was smirking. Malfoy returned this with a grin of his own and said, ‘Of course Professor.’

Oh it was good being the teacher’s pet.

When he returned to his dormitory half an hour later, Malfoy plonked himself onto his soft bed, covered by a large puffy and green doona. He pondered Snape’s assumption. He wasn’t quite sure if it had been Potter’s doing remembering the surprised look on his face when Malfoy had taken the Veritaserum.

It could have been faked though. It would make perfect sense and explain all the strange things that had happened that day if it really were a spell. Suddenly an image of Hermione entered Malfoy’s mind when she had interrupted his sulking in the Room of Requirements. She had been eager to find out some particular information but luckily wasn’t able to. And how HAD she found his hiding place?

Malfoy’s suspicion grew stronger. His eyes widened ‘It was Granger!’

*Her and her smart little plans and tricks. She wanted to know something and had cast a spell on me to find it out. No doubt laughing at my embarrassment during those humiliating sessions*

*Very clever Granger* He thought, clenching his fists in anger. *But now it is pay back time*


GRYFFINDOR COMMON ROOM

‘That was excellent’ Ron squealed with excitement. ‘Wasn’t it excellent Harry?’

Harry grinned happily. ‘I had no idea Malfoy was planning such a devious trick. And I’m glad he did!’

The rest of the Gryffindor’s who had been in the same class were all buzzing with excitement and glee and were informing the rest of the house what had happened. This was the ultimate Malfoy humiliation and wouldn’t be forgotten for quite a while.

‘Too bad Fred and George aren’t here.’ Said Ron. ‘They would have organised a big party.’

‘Why don’t we do that anyway?’ Harry suggested.

Ron thought about it before answering. ‘Wouldn’t be a good idea. Classes tomorrow.’

‘Oh, right.’ Said Harry, a bit disappointed. ‘Study time.’

Ironically, upon saying the word “STUDY” Hermione entered the busy Common Room.

‘Hey Hermione!’ Ron called.

She glanced over at the boys and slowly made her way over to them. She seemed a little frazzled but acted her usual self.

‘Where have you been? Not with Malfoy this whole time?’ Asked Harry.

‘Oh no,’ Hermione lied. ‘I went to the library after finding him. You know, to find a copy of ‘10 best ways to study for N.E.W.T.s’.’

‘Hermione, why did you offer to go find him anyway?’ Harry asked curiously.

‘Yeah!’ Ron added, looking at her scrutinisingly. He and Harry had been most shocked when she had volunteered to go search.

Hermione recited her account, leaving out a majority of it. ‘Well, I had thought to myself “Now why would Malfoy try to do something like this if not to gain some sort of specific information from Harry? Perhaps about the Order of the Phoenix” So I decided to find out what he had wanted Harry to spill the beans about.’

Harry’s eyes widened. ‘Of course. Did you manage to find out?’ He asked eagerly.

Hermione sighed heavily. ‘Yes. You see I hadn’t bargained that Malfoy was just being a foolish twit but fortunately he was. I’d forgotten that he was most likely incapable of thinking up such a clever plan and therefore he was only hoping to humiliate you. So typical of him I am even surprised at myself for judging his intentions otherwise.’

Harry felt relieved. ‘So there isn’t anything to worry about then.’

‘It’s a pity the spell wares off soon though.’ Ron pouted.

‘And I dare say that is a good thing.’ Said Hermione eyeing him warily. ‘I am immensely surprised that he isn’t even suspicious yet! What a dope. It is just lucky because you and Harry would be the first people he would try to accuse.’

The boys sat silently not daring to stir Hermione any further. After all, she had just tried to help them out.

Hermione sighed. ‘I need a rest. I will see you down at dinner then.’

‘Bye.’ The boys chimed.

Harry yawned openly. ‘I think I might have a little lie down myself. All the excitement has worn me out.’

Ron nodded. ‘Good idea.’

Ron followed Harry up the stairs and almost tumbled backward. Harry made an effort not to fall on him as Dean and Seamus bumped into them.

‘Hey, be careful!’ Said Ron.

‘Sorry!’ Both boys said. ‘Didn’t see you there.’

‘Maybe you should look where you’re going.’ Ron mumbled under his breath so that only Harry could hear.

‘Why are you in such a hurry?’ Harry asked them.

Seamus answered in a bothered tone. ‘That sister of your’s Ron. She’s gone through our photos and taken every last one of them.’

‘And she has raided everyone’s rooms taking their copy if they had one.’ Added Dean. ‘And she’s been in ours too.’

Ron swore and ran passed them promptly. ‘Oh no she didn’t.’ He said angrily.

‘Oh yes she did!’ Seamus yelled after him.

Harry ran after Ron. By the time he entered the dormitory he found Ron rummaging through his bags and under his bed.

‘Oh bother!’ Ron exclaimed. ‘How dare she come in here and take our things.’

Harry felt a little frustrated as well but decided to reason with Ron. ‘Look, it isn’t that big a deal. It was only a photo-’

But Ron wasn’t listening. ‘Come on Harry. We have to find them.’

Before Harry could argue, Ron had already disappeared down the stairs. Harry sighed. ‘That’s what you get for wanting to have a nap.’ But he got up and went to find his friend.

Down in the Common Room there was a big fuss. A crowd of boys had assembled around someone and were quarrelling noisily. Ron was trying to squirm his way to the centre of the circle.

Harry rushed over and tried to get a look at whom they were yelling to but in an instant he knew it was Ginny for her voice reached the ceiling with a thunderous ‘SHUT UP!’

The noise ceased at once. ‘All right.’ She said standing up. ‘Now if we can settle this calmly.’

‘There is no way to settle this unless you give us back the photos!’ Someone said.

‘We paid 4 sickles for those!’ Someone else shouted.

Ginny looked disgusted at the news. ‘Oh really?’ She turned to Dean and Seamus. ‘What next boys? A large poster to hang on the wall!’

‘Ginny, be reasonable!’ Said Ron.

‘No Ron, I won’t stand for this. You had no right to try and humiliate us like that.’ She said to everyone. ‘And it is too late anyway.’

‘What do you mean?’ Dean eyed her suspiciously.

Ginny looked at him triumphantly. ‘They have been burnt. Every single one of them.’

There was a loud, disapproving roar. ‘And I’d think a little more before doing something like that again. ‘Ginny added. ‘Because next time the evidence goes straight to Professor McGonagall.’

She strode away from the group silently and vanished up to her room.

Dean fumed. ‘Well Ron, what are you going to do about it?’

Ron looked startled. ‘Me? What do I have to do with it?’

‘You’re her brother.’ Said Euan Abercrombie, a slender third year boy.

‘Listen, it doesn’t matter what I am. This is Ginny we’re talking about. She won’t do anything for anyone.’ Said Ron impatiently.

The other boys grumbled. ‘Well I want my money back then.’ Said a disgruntled fifth year boy. There were a few supporting voices.

Seamus turned quickly to the boy. ‘No way! You got what you paid for. It isn’t my fault it was burnt.’

‘Anyway, it is only four sickles’ Dean argued.

‘You don’t have it do you?’ Someone else said.

Dean’s face grew red. ‘What are you talking about. Of course we have it.’

‘Then give it to us!’ The bickering continued and Harry dragged Ron away. ‘Better get out of here.’

‘Yeah.’ Ron agreed in a flustered voice.

They hurried back up stairs and slammed the door behind them. ‘Make sure they can’t get in Harry.’ Said Ron.

‘We can’t do that. They have as much right to come in as we do.’ Harry said reasonably.

Ron groaned and flopped onto his bed.

‘Ron I hate to admit it but it IS only a photo.’ Said Harry.

Ron looked over at him. ‘That isn’t the point. I am angry because she came in here without our permission and now she has gone and humiliated me. They better not ask us to give back their money.’

‘They won’t.’ Harry reassured him.

‘I wouldn’t be so sure.’ Ron replied.

Harry walked to his bed and made himself comfortable. He could faintly hear the noise coming from underneath them. ‘It’ll calm down soon and they will forget everything. Let’s not worry about it now.’ He closed his eyes and fell into a light slumber.