Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Draco's Transformation by Shena

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Spying and Broom Flying




‘So you think it was Malfoy?’ Asked Harry without a sense of revelation. He was not the least bit astonished that a Malfoy would think up such a dirty deed.

Hermione nodded her agreement. ‘But I can’t be altogether certain of it. That is why I will plant a device at his table to listen to what he says to his friends. That way I will know if it was him all along.’

‘But Hermione, it's common knowledge that it's impossible to use electronics in Hogwarts. Surely you had thought of that.’

‘That I have Harry. That's why I am utilizing magic for this. You see, I am applying this instead.’ Hermione held up her hand.

Harry looked at the small “device” which Hermione supported delicately in her palm. ‘It just looks like a bit of oat to me.’

‘Precisely,’ Said Hermione smugly. ‘It's the perfect disguise. Malfoy won’t realise I'm listening in on his conversation with a piece of oat and he is unlikely to even notice it. I'll place it on the table in the shadow of a platter to make sure nobody will wipe it off the table.’

Harry examined the oat flake on all sides, being careful not to break it. He frowned. ‘When did you learn to do this? I certainly never came across this sort of wizardry.’

‘Oh, that's because I did Muggle Studies for a year. We learnt about a wizard who found muggle technology fascinating and devised ways of copying their equipment into magical objects. Therefore he created ways of exploiting such objects that would normally only work through electricity by using his wand. He may have even created a way of listening to radios through magic instead of battery.’

Harry was rapt by this new information. ‘I’ve never heard of the man. And how come nobody uses these devices that he has made?’

‘His name is Florence Cashmere and he never actually made products. He wrote some books explaining how to create the objects but died before he was able to start a business. Somehow nobody followed in his lead, perhaps because the Ministry of Magic were unfavourable towards the idea,’ Hermione grinned. ‘But fortunately for us they kept his published work on the shelves.’

Harry raised an eyebrow at the sound of the wizard’s name. ‘Florence Cashmere?’ He stifled a laugh.

‘Yes, he changed his name during his short reign of fame. He called himself Cashmere because he was obsessed with cashmere itself. He was always seen wearing cashmere cloaks and coats. He chose the name Florence for some unknown reason. Perhaps he thought it sounded good,’ Hermione offered.

Harry doubled over with laughter. ‘What a psycho!’

Hermione grimaced. ‘Perhaps, but he was also genius.’

Harry shook his head in incredulity while wiping his wet eyes. He massaged his stomach to ease to tension from laughing and Hermione eyed him disapprovingly.

‘Anyway,’ Hermione continued, ignoring Harry’s frivolous behaviour. ‘I want to leave as soon as possible so I can put the “oat” onto the Slytherin table before the Great Hall fills up for dinner.’

‘And you wanted me to come?’ Asked Harry.

‘No I wasn’t suggesting that because Ron would probably wonder where you were and I don’t want him finding out about this.’

Harry was baffled. ‘Why not?’

‘Well because he has been so moody lately and he doesn’t need to think that Malfoy has been playing impish tricks again otherwise he might do something rash.’ Said Hermione matter-of-factly while reminding Harry of his and Ron’s gaffe charm.

Harry didn’t argue but instead agreed. ‘Yes it's best to keep him out of it.’

‘Where is Ron by the way?’ Asked Hermione as she looked around the Common Room.

‘He is outside practising on his broom. He wanted to start Practice early because he still doesn’t feel confident enough in himself.’

‘Isn’t he having dinner tonight?’ Asked Hermione.

‘He asked me to grab him something for later. He says he doesn’t feel hungry right now.’ Harry shrugged.

Hermione rolled her eyes. ‘I can’t believe he is still nervous about playing. And it's only a practice after all.’

‘Yes but he tends to make a lot of mistakes even then. But I don’t think he is nervous, just determined.’ Harry said this most half-heartedly that Hermione was certain it was not the truth.

‘Anyway at least he will be out of the way while I listen in on Draco’s conversation.’ Said Hermione decidedly.

Harry almost fell off his chair.

‘What’s wrong with you?’ Asked Hermione, helping him up.

Harry looked shocked. ‘Hermione, you just called him-called him’ He found it hard to finish the sentence.

Hermione helped him. ‘Malfoy. M-A-L-F-O-Y. Malfoy.’

‘No, but you didn’t!’ Exclaimed Harry. ‘You called him “Draco”.’ He spat the last word out in disgust.

‘Don’t be ridiculous Harry.’ Said Hermione.

‘I am not!’ Harry insisted. ‘ You said his name. His first name!’

‘Are you sure? Well I suppose I might have but it doesn’t mean anything Harry. Stop making such a big deal out of it.’ Hermione gathered herself up and made her way to the exit. Harry said nothing but continued staring at her back even after she had left.

QUIDDITCH PITCH

Ron sped through the air, coursing in between each stand and diving at the ground. There was a soft breeze that rustled his hair and left a refreshing sensation. It calmed his nerves and improved his mood. There were no longer any thoughts of Ginny and the photo incident, Neville and his accidents, Hermione and her smartness-only peace and pleasure.

At some distance Ron noticed a figure standing far below him in the grounds. Perhaps it was Harry wanting to persuade him to go to dinner. Well no, he would not go. It was far better out here. Nevertheless, he flew down to greet the person whoever they were.

To his great surprise (and dismay) he found that it was not Harry after all. It was LOUISE.

Having almost fallen off his broom with shock, Ron landed heaving from fear and exertion. He clumsily walked over to Louise while keeping on his guard. He wasn’t sure if she was here on Ginny’s business or simply here as a friend.

‘Hi,’ he said.

‘Hello,’ she replied shyly.

‘Aren’t you supposed to be at dinner?’ He asked rather more harshly then intended.

Louise was slightly taken aback but didn’t retaliate. ‘No, I wasn’t hungry.’

‘Oh.’

There was an uncomfortable pause before she continued.

‘I just wanted to apologise. I know I've been cold lately and I shouldn’t have been.’

Ron shrugged. ‘You were just doing what Ginny ordered you to do.’

Louise’s eyes widened and she quickly protested. ‘ No! It wasn't her at all. I was annoyed too. And I had other things on my mind and well I was stupid.’ She finished lamely.

Ron studied her. She had very small features, big blue eyes and pink peachy lips. Dark straight hair caressed her cheeks and seemed to tickle her because she quickly brushed it aside and scratched the spot.

Realising Ron’s eyes were fixed on her she became timid and diverted her gaze to the dry grass. ‘Are we friends then?’ She asked.

Ron nodded and suddenly smiled. ‘Of course,’ He announced.

She looked up and returned the smile with one of her own. ‘Great.’

‘What are you doing now?’ Asked Ron.

She thought for a minute. ‘I don’t know really. I might go up and read.’

Ron could tell that reading was the last thing she felt like doing. ‘Do you want to fly?’

‘Oh I couldn’t,’ She said quickly.

‘Why not?’

‘I don’t have a broom.’

‘Hop on mine,’ He offered.

She paused again. ‘Really?’

‘Sure,’ He smiled more widely.

‘But what about you?’

‘What about me?’ He was puzzled.

‘Then you don’t have a broom,’ She said reasonably.

Ron laughed. ‘I meant we can ride together. Both on my broom.’

Her eyes widened. ‘Oh I see. Would it hold us both?’

‘Of course. It could probably hold three people,’ He said.

She beamed up at him. ‘Alright then.’

Ron helped her onto the broom and held her steadily. ‘Ready?’

‘Ready.’ Her voice was shaky with apprehension.

Ron smiled and held her closer. The broom lifted from the ground and soon they were soaring through the darkening sky. Ron noticed Louise had a hand covering her eyes and he gently removed it.

‘Don’t be scared,’ He said calmly. ‘You are perfectly safe.’

She took in the view below her and let out a wonderful giggle. They were flying over and around the lake, which reflected the large moon. Owls flew over the top of them as they went off for their night hunting.

‘It is amazing,’ She said.

Ron felt fantastic but was surprised by Louise’s reactions. ‘You act as though you have never been on a broom before,’ He teased.

‘I haven’t,’ She replied.

‘Oh,’ Ron felt rather stupid but the feeling evaporated as soon as it had come. Louise leaned her head back onto his shoulder and said. ‘Do you mind?’

‘Not at all.’

DINNER

Harry approached Hermione, who was leaning an ear against her hand. ‘So?’

Hermione looked up and seeing as nobody was listening told him, ‘It's all set up. Now all we have to do is wait for Malfoy to turn up.’

‘Which should be any minute because the Hall is almost filled.’ Harry said.

‘I know. I wonder what is taking them. Usually they are already seated before us.’ She wondered.

‘What are you using as a listening device?’ Harry asked, sounding particularly amused and interested. ‘Crust?’

Hermione addressed him seriously. ‘Actually I'm using a normal earphone. I just don’t want anybody questioning what I'm doing with one.’

Not so long later the Slytherin Trio entered the Hall surrounded by other Slytherins who were making quite a racket. From the distance however, it was hard to make out what they were saying.

Hermione frowned. ‘If they keep that up I won’t be able to hear Malfoy talking.’

Harry began filling his plate with food and topped his goblet with pumpkin juice. ‘Make sure you tell me everything you hear.’

Hermione nodded vaguely, her mind concentrating on higher matters of importance.

Some of the numerous voices she had been hearing were now coming into clearer focus.

‘...great laugh. What’s next?’ said voice one.

‘...how Longbottom fell!’ agreed voice two.

‘...done, Malfoy.’ Added voice three.

‘Alright, alright. Thankyou all for your participation but can I eat now?’ That was Malfoy’s voice full of dignity and pride.

‘Can you see them Harry?’ Hermione asked.

Harry looked ever at the Slytherins. ‘Yes. Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle are all seated at there normal places. The rest of the Slytherins are keeping their respectful distances.’

‘Good,’ Muttered Hermione in reply.

The voices returned to her. Goyle spoke first.

‘Today was excellent Malfoy. But how come you didn’t make us do our turn?’ He asked.

‘Because fool, we didn’t get a chance.’ He replied maliciously.

‘What do you mean?’ Crabbe was baffled.

Malfoy paused and Hermione had the impression that he was holding his rage by a tiny string. ‘Well obviously nothing I told you last night and this morning actually occurred did it?’

‘We know but you did that on purpose right?’ Said Goyle.

‘No you idiot!’ Said Malfoy. ‘Of course not. Why would I bother changing the plan without informing you?’

‘Then what happened?’ Goyle asked again.

‘I don’t know, that’s the thing. I just don’t know. Our plans were foiled because someone must have intervened.’

‘Intravened?’ Crabbe mispronounced.

Another pause.

‘I mean that something kept happening before we could do anything.’ Said Malfoy.

At this point there was an audible gasp from Hermione. Fortunately the Hall was very noisy and only Harry heard.

‘What is it?’ He asked eagerly.

‘Sshh!’ Hermione hushed him irritably.

Harry returned to his food sulkily. ‘Fine.’

Back at the Slytherin table, ‘ -...then who was it?’

‘How should I know Crabbe?’ Said Malfoy thoughtfully. ‘I am supposing it was Peeves with the water balloons though. But it’s strange, I never saw him nor the balloons before it happened.’

‘And what are we going to do now?’ Asked Goyle.

Silence.

Suddenly Malfoy came to a decision. ‘Nothing. The plan is over.’

‘What?’ Asked Crabbe, his voice filled with discontent.

‘I can’t be bothered with it, that’s all,’ Said Malfoy.

‘Why?’ Asked Goyle.

‘Because!’ Said Malfoy. ‘Stop questioning me, I am tired of it.’

The two Slytherin’s exchanged glances and fell silent.

Malfoy toyed with his food but hardly ate a morsel. ‘I don’t want you two to say anything to the others though. They are to think it was all my doing, you hear me?’

They nodded their heads simultaneously.

‘Good,’ was Malfoy’s final reply. He stood up and left the Hall.

Hermione removed the earphone and placed it into her pocket.

Harry looked up at her. ‘Are you going to tell me anything now?’

Hermione ignored his sarcastic tone of voice. ‘What I have found out is that none of it was Malfoy’s doing.’

Harry’s jaw dropped. ‘Who’s was it then?’

‘He doesn’t know. And he seems really annoyed by it.’

‘But wouldn’t Malfoy love to see you humiliated? Or Neville embarrassed?’

‘Yes but you see, he was frustrated because he HAD planned on humiliating me. In what way I don’t know but somehow, from what I have gathered, every time he was to harm or trick me something else happened. Like the muffin and the balloons and the mud. So he was unable to do anything.’

‘That is quite a coincidence. It seems a little un-real to me.’ Harry replied.

‘But is has to be,’ Said Hermione. ‘The only thing that puzzles me is that I wouldn’t know who had played those tricks on me-or Neville.’

‘Have you annoyed anyone lately?’ Asked Harry.

Hermione snorted. ‘Only Ron and we both know it isn’t him. And not just because he isn’t capable of anything that clever.’

‘Hermione!’ Harry said disapprovingly.

‘Sorry, I didn’t mean to.’ She apologised.

‘It is all very odd,’ He continued. ‘And it might not even be over.’

Hermione shrugged. ‘I wouldn’t know but the person who’s plans have been ruined (because evidently the harm was meant for me) will be very infuriated. So I guess I should keep my eye out for angry people.’

‘I still can’t believe it wasn’t Malfoy. He was even at the scene of the crime every time!’ Harry said.

‘It was not him Harry, as much as you would like to get him into trouble.’ Replied Hermione.

‘You could still get him into trouble though, right?’ Asked Harry.

Hermione shook her head. ‘Not unless I have proof that he has done something and from what he said he has cancelled all his plots against me.’

‘How do you know he won’t change his mind?’ Harry persisted.

‘I don’t,’ Said Hermione and with a mischievous grin she said, ‘but I have the entire conversation recorded.’

‘Really?’ Harry seemed delighted.

‘Yes, and I am going to make sure he doesn’t try anything else.’

‘How?’ Harry asked curiously.

‘Because,’ she started. ‘I am going let him know he can’t.’ She lifted up the recorder (a little wooden box).

‘You are going to make him listen to it?’ Harry said incredulously.

‘I sure am,’ Said Hermione.

‘How does that thing work anyway?’ Asked Harry.

‘You open up the lid here,’ Hermione pointed to the small lid on top of the box. ‘And when you close it, it automatically rewinds.’

‘And it is all done by magic?’ He asked, fascinated.

‘All of it,’ She repeated.

Harry sighed. ‘I'd better go get ready for Quidditch practice.'